vst connect, friend connect and studio key?

Thanks Karel, was looking for that, now made a bookmark.
There was another great post about how to use the ID method, can somebody point me?

Thanks Karel,

The ID method seems to be the only way to get any kind of reliability.

Joe

so are you trying to connect locally?

just use the ID method and get on with recording :slight_smile:. - can’t see why you wouldn’t ?

Thank dr

The reason I wasn’t using the ID method was becasue I didn’t see it clearly exaplained anywhere. The manual for VST connect focuses on logging in using your Steinberg ID. The videos showing VSt connect use also rush over the intial setup/connection stages and omit certain steps.

Furthermore, the ID method is still not reliable for me. Very often I’ll get an error telling me the server cannot connect, yet the two computers connect via a friend request but fail when establishing a full connection with the error that ‘both sides need to use the same up=to-date version’ which they are. 4.0.44 of vst connect performer and the latest Cubase pro 10 and vst connect.

It just seems like a flakey, half-arsed bit of software to me. The errors messages in particular look too general, where I suspect different problems are being lumped together.

Vst connect is unusable for me and I am so glad I never bought a pro udpdate for it.

Joe

On another note, vst connect SE on Cubase 10 pro consistently crashes cubase. Seems to always crash when I try to enter the email/password the second time after vst connect asks for it again, even though it’s already been entered. Just a flakey bit of software, an add-on that hasn’t really been given the manhours it needs to sort out the issues.

In terms of setup this Steinberg video, is an example of the problem:

It essentially skips over the log in part, yes we see an email address and password for the log in but not it actually taking place. There is no mention of the ID method. Also, the connecting to a friend part also skips over what is required here. We do not see the progress bar, we do not see how to right-click on the friend and send a request or connect. Overall, it’s very poor.

hi Joe

I’m not saying it’s perfect but VST connect definitely works (for most !) - it’s difficult to debug people’s specific issues as everybody has a slightly different setup.

You say you are using a VPN - I assume that’s to bypass the need for a PRO licence - so you’re making life more complicated there - who knows what problems that is bring to the table. Why not try a 30 day demo of PRO then you can dispense with messing around with a VPN.

Obviously everyone likes to come onto forums like this to vent, and I understand, but if you really want to get this thing working (and there’s nothing else quite as good as this at the moment IMO) then best to post with specific questions or issues and the devs and users will do their best to get you running.

START SIMPLE - ditch the VPN and see what happens.

no better way to put it!

I can also cofirm that i use it in a fully professional envirement! With professional VoiceTalants in VO recoridngs as well as simple music or singing tasks.
So, as DR said, please give us something to work with and let us help you to get thinsgs going!

best
peer

The “skips over the log in part” is because it is usually quite simple. If you use a VPN to trick the system you shouldn’t have to complain. After more than 10 years of hard work, what do you think it feels like to be offended to not provide sufficient support for this kind of action?

The use of the VPN has been forced on me as I cannot test it at home on the same network without buying the pro version. But why would I buy the pro version if I’m not sure it’s going to work on my setup. The reason for testing at home is that myself and a collab partner tried to use it but we kept having connection/log in issues and so I wanted to try to sort out issues myself as calling over Skype and pointing phones at each other’s screens was not working. Also, regards the VPN, an initial problem is just logging into the system on my VST connect SE computer (no VPN) so while the VPN may be an issue later, it’s not a factor in the intial crashes and connection problems.

As for the Steinberg video "skipping over the log in part’', ‘usually’ is the key word here. There is no denying that it omits certain steps which when you are having problems gives you nothing to fall back on.

One issue I suspect in that my music computer is only Windows 8 and I’ve been happy with the stability but may try to upgrade to Win 10 to see if it helps with VST connect.

I take on board the venting comments, and will for the moment just leave VST connect and continue passing projects via Dropbox. I’ll have another go later and get back if I finally get things working.

My System - Windows 8, Cubase 10 pro latest update, Vst connect latest (4.0.44)

Joe

there is a 30 day demo version …or you could tether a phone - lots of ways to test

That’s two ways…

Didn’t know about the 30-day trial though.

yes, I can count - how many ways to you want me to give you (there are more)

I told you about the 30 day demo in my reply on the 21st

politeness is sometimes the best way to get a helpful response…good luck

Hopefully you can help me. I cannot make it work in any way. I’ve read all threads. Watched all videos. Nothing works. I am trying to connect my MacBook Pro to my iPhone. I want to be able to hear my project play out of my phones speaker as a reference monitor.
The connection process is so confusing. I type the name and code generated on the MacBook onto my iPhone. But literally nothing happens. Signing in with my steinberg account doesn’t achieve anything either. What am I missing ? (I am using the 30 day trial. It’s all activated. )

start by creating a new thread here :slight_smile: with more details - what versions of the software on your mac/iphone etc - are you trying to connect over a LAN/WAN etc.

if you’ve read ALL threads and watched ALL videos then you should have some idea of the information we need to help

You need the build numbers? Well I mean obviously it’s the latest ones seeing as I just downloaded the trial version as I said. What else do you need to know ?

trying to help you as you’re the one that asked for help !

START A NEW THREAD with the version numbers and all other relevant information and I’ll try to get you up and running.

FWW you didn’t say latest build - you said you were “using the 30 day trial” - not really obvious and I’m not a mind reader ! Snarkiness ain’t gonna make it work

I agree. I guess I was just following the protocol of snarkiness that you set with ‘ if you’ve read ALL threads and watched ALL videos…’

I’m not trying to start some kind of competition with you - on the contrary I was offering to get you up and running with vst connect…

please yourself - makes no difference to me