vst connect, friend connect and studio key?

All topics on the VST Connect products and Studio Pass
joechip

vst connect, friend connect and studio key?

Post by joechip »

HI All,

Computer 1 = Cubase 10.0.60 + VST Connect SE/PRO 4.0.40
Computer 2 = VST CONNECT PERFORMER 4.0.44

Is it just me or is VST connect to total pain? When I try to connect I keep getting an error telling me to use the same version of vst connect, but I am using the same version.

I've spent the last few days trying to work this out and I am starting to feel it's just a poor peice of software. Is there a straightforward walk-through with setting up connecting to a friend and that explains how the studio key part works? The videos I have seen assume that we can all connect but this as I've read seems to be the main issue for a lot of people.

Thanks

Joe

joechip

Re: vst connect, friend connect and studio key?

Post by joechip »

to add

''Sorry, no reply from friend, make sure both sides use the same up-to-date version.''

This is the message I keep getting.

karel broekhuis

Post by karel broekhuis »

Hi Joe,

Hint: computer 1 = 4.0.40
computer 2 = 4.0.44
".....make sure...."

Hope this helps.
Karel
Windows 10, Dorico Pro, Cubase Pro, VST Transit Go, VST Connect Pro, Wavelab, Cubasis, VST Connect Performer, Nuendo. Always latest update. Apollo Twin + Octo.

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

While it is suggested to have the same version on both ends, 4.0.40 and 4.0.44 should get along together.
The message shown implies that the my Steinberg connection fails; in this case you may also try the ID method.
Latest versions can be found here, along with useful information: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... 0012899079
musi

joechip

Post by joechip »

Hi Karel,

Thanks for the check, not sure where the 4.0.40 came from, but both installs are .44 so the same

Correction - computer 1 = VST Connect SE/Pro 4.0.44 · Full Installer · 55 MB
Correction - computer 2 = VST Connect Performer 4.0.44 · 23 MB

Joe

joechip

Post by joechip »

I should also add, that I am using a VPN for computer 2 as without the pro version you cannot connect 2 computers on the same LAN.

joechip

Post by joechip »

musicullum wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:09 am
The message shown implies that the my Steinberg connection fails; in this case you may also try the ID method.
Thanks, I've tried that, but I don't see what I should do with the studio key?

Joe

joechip

Post by joechip »

Further,

When I try to log in, vst connect SE keeps asking for username and password, even though it's already there and entered. Cubase also keeps crashing too. Starting to think it's just best to give up with this software?

Joe

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

so are you trying to connect locally?
ID: do not log in on either end. studio clicks ID button, passes shown number to Performer (mail, phone...) who enters it and clicks connect.
musi

karel broekhuis

Post by karel broekhuis »

viewtopic.php?f=221&t=187897&view=unread#unread

Hi Joe,
From what I read in your posts you may benefit from Steve's post.
Have a look.
Karel
Windows 10, Dorico Pro, Cubase Pro, VST Transit Go, VST Connect Pro, Wavelab, Cubasis, VST Connect Performer, Nuendo. Always latest update. Apollo Twin + Octo.

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

Thanks Karel, was looking for that, now made a bookmark.
There was another great post about how to use the ID method, can somebody point me?
musi

joechip

Post by joechip »

Thanks Karel,

The ID method seems to be the only way to get any kind of reliability.

Joe

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

so are you trying to connect locally?
musi

dr

Post by dr »

joechip wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:55 pm
Thanks Karel,

The ID method seems to be the only way to get any kind of reliability.

Joe
just use the ID method and get on with recording :). - can't see why you wouldn't ?

joechip

Post by joechip »

Thank dr

The reason I wasn't using the ID method was becasue I didn't see it clearly exaplained anywhere. The manual for VST connect focuses on logging in using your Steinberg ID. The videos showing VSt connect use also rush over the intial setup/connection stages and omit certain steps.

Furthermore, the ID method is still not reliable for me. Very often I'll get an error telling me the server cannot connect, yet the two computers connect via a friend request but fail when establishing a full connection with the error that 'both sides need to use the same up=to-date version' which they are. 4.0.44 of vst connect performer and the latest Cubase pro 10 and vst connect.

It just seems like a flakey, half-arsed bit of software to me. The errors messages in particular look too general, where I suspect different problems are being lumped together.

Vst connect is unusable for me and I am so glad I never bought a pro udpdate for it.

Joe

joechip

Post by joechip »

On another note, vst connect SE on Cubase 10 pro consistently crashes cubase. Seems to always crash when I try to enter the email/password the second time after vst connect asks for it again, even though it's already been entered. Just a flakey bit of software, an add-on that hasn't really been given the manhours it needs to sort out the issues.

joechip

Post by joechip »

In terms of setup this Steinberg video, is an example of the problem:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... rial-video

It essentially skips over the log in part, yes we see an email address and password for the log in but not it actually taking place. There is no mention of the ID method. Also, the connecting to a friend part also skips over what is required here. We do not see the progress bar, we do not see how to right-click on the friend and send a request or connect. Overall, it's very poor.

dr

Post by dr »

hi Joe

I'm not saying it's perfect but VST connect definitely works (for most !) - it's difficult to debug people's specific issues as everybody has a slightly different setup.

You say you are using a VPN - I assume that's to bypass the need for a PRO licence - so you're making life more complicated there - who knows what problems that is bring to the table. Why not try a 30 day demo of PRO then you can dispense with messing around with a VPN.

Obviously everyone likes to come onto forums like this to vent, and I understand, but if you really want to get this thing working (and there's nothing else quite as good as this at the moment IMO) then best to post with specific questions or issues and the devs and users will do their best to get you running.

START SIMPLE - ditch the VPN and see what happens.

basicX

Post by basicX »

dr wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:42 pm
Obviously everyone likes to come onto forums like this to vent, and I understand, but if you really want to get this thing working (and there's nothing else quite as good as this at the moment IMO) then best to post with specific questions or issues and the devs and users will do their best to get you running.

START SIMPLE - ditch the VPN and see what happens.
no better way to put it!

I can also cofirm that i use it in a fully professional envirement! With professional VoiceTalants in VO recoridngs as well as simple music or singing tasks.
So, as DR said, please give us something to work with and let us help you to get thinsgs going!

best
peer
Last edited by basicX on Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Studios: Nuendo 10.3, Cubase 10 Pro, PT 11.3.1
I/O: Full blown Focusrite RedNet Setup. 3xRed4pre, 2xRed x2p
Plugins from Sonnox, Waves, iZotope, UAD, Plugin Alliance Mega Pack, and so on...)

Windows 10 Pro x64
Main System from Digital Audio Networx
Intel i9 14core, Gigabyte, 64GB Ram, GF 1050ti, UAD Quad, 3 * Avid Artis Mix

Pro Audio Broadcast Post for german and international clients
www.media-atelier.tv

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

The "skips over the log in part" is because it is usually quite simple. If you use a VPN to trick the system you shouldn't have to complain. After more than 10 years of hard work, what do you think it feels like to be offended to not provide sufficient support for this kind of action?
musi

joechip

Post by joechip »

The use of the VPN has been forced on me as I cannot test it at home on the same network without buying the pro version. But why would I buy the pro version if I'm not sure it's going to work on my setup. The reason for testing at home is that myself and a collab partner tried to use it but we kept having connection/log in issues and so I wanted to try to sort out issues myself as calling over Skype and pointing phones at each other's screens was not working. Also, regards the VPN, an initial problem is just logging into the system on my VST connect SE computer (no VPN) so while the VPN may be an issue later, it's not a factor in the intial crashes and connection problems.

As for the Steinberg video "skipping over the log in part'', 'usually' is the key word here. There is no denying that it omits certain steps which when you are having problems gives you nothing to fall back on.

One issue I suspect in that my music computer is only Windows 8 and I've been happy with the stability but may try to upgrade to Win 10 to see if it helps with VST connect.

I take on board the venting comments, and will for the moment just leave VST connect and continue passing projects via Dropbox. I'll have another go later and get back if I finally get things working.

My System - Windows 8, Cubase 10 pro latest update, Vst connect latest (4.0.44)

Joe

dr

Post by dr »

joechip wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:23 pm
The use of the VPN has been forced on me as I cannot test it at home on the same network without buying the pro version.
there is a 30 day demo version .......or you could tether a phone - lots of ways to test

joechip

Post by joechip »

dr wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:59 pm
there is a 30 day demo version .......or you could tether a phone - lots of ways to test
That's two ways...

Didn't know about the 30-day trial though.

dr

Post by dr »

joechip wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:40 am
dr wrote:
That's two ways...

yes, I can count - how many ways to you want me to give you (there are more)

I told you about the 30 day demo in my reply on the 21st

politeness is sometimes the best way to get a helpful response....good luck

drdrdrdr

Post by drdrdrdr »

dr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 am
joechip wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:40 am
dr wrote:
That's two ways...

yes, I can count - how many ways to you want me to give you (there are more)

I told you about the 30 day demo in my reply on the 21st

politeness is sometimes the best way to get a helpful response....good luck
Hopefully you can help me. I cannot make it work in any way. I’ve read all threads. Watched all videos. Nothing works. I am trying to connect my MacBook Pro to my iPhone. I want to be able to hear my project play out of my phones speaker as a reference monitor.
The connection process is so confusing. I type the name and code generated on the MacBook onto my iPhone. But literally nothing happens. Signing in with my steinberg account doesn’t achieve anything either. What am I missing ? (I am using the 30 day trial. It’s all activated. )

Return to “VST Connect”