Cubase 10.5 changes exp. maps articulations on playback. [Fixed in C11/10.5.30]

I am having this issue as well. I would like to send a project file but every time it happens it somehow fixes itself when I hit stop and start a few times.
Sometimes I go to the output mapping and move the order of the controllers around and this fixes it. I thought that it was a VI Pro issue. Now I am beginning to suspect that the problem lies with Cubase. :neutral_face:

Hi,

Do you have the issue with a project without Vienna? How often does it happen. How high is the chance that if I would open the project, I could get into the state too? Is it like 5 of 10 Playback Starts or less or more?

Hi,

Here is a project file for Cubase and VE Pro with serious issues.
Exp.Map Issues.zip (103 KB)
Play the part. It should play the Legato sample no problems. Then go into VI Pro inside VE Pro and manually select a different Cell. You will now notice that ALL Legato Expression Map messages are ignored by Cubase and/or not received by VI Pro.
Here is a video that clearly shows VI Pro NOT receiving correct/any Exp. Map messages from Cubase.

Cubase is consistently getting stuck on articulations.

Here is another video that shows VI Pro not receiving Exp. Map Messages from Cubase. You can see that the loop keeps playing but the articulation only changes when I manually select a different Cell in VI Pro.

Yes, this problem is still occurring in 10.5.12 for me as well. Notes will “drop out” or break during playback (I’m working with Iconica in a large orchestral project). Sometimes it will playback as it’s supposed to, but most of the time something breaks or drops out.

Also, I’ve noticed it’s always THE SAME instruments/articulations that give me a problem in certain spots, and I tried deleting the data and re-entering it but still the same problem…maybe this is a clue?

Hi,

This is very interesting. Could you attach a sample project (snippet) where this error occurres, please? Work Iconica library, to be able to reproduce it here. Thanks

Please limit posts to content about the topic, not personal conflicts.

Any word on this issue?. I just played back a project that needed to be stopped and started constantly due to notes cutting off. I did post a project that clearly demonstrates an unreliability issue with Expression Maps. That was a while ago now and I also contacted the Australian support who did not reply.
So here is the project file in case it was missed.
Exp.Map Issues.zip (103 KB)

I had the exact same problem.
It appears to be linked to the chord track … Even though the chord track was muted, I saw some events from it on the track that “forgot” the expression setting. Selecting and muting the chord symbols themselves seemed to do the trick.

I’m having this issue as well. Big problem!

Hi,

Do you use Chord track, please?

Yes, I do! Although there are no chord symbols in there.

I like the chord track (I use it to keep track of vertical harmony when I’m composing in the DAW) so I’d rather keep on using it - hope that’s possible?

Hi,

I was just asking because of previous gylstorff’s post:

Hello !
Same problem here…
I have a (around) 70 tracks project, and there are a lot of inconsistancies with BBCSO’s expression maps. It often jumps to legato patch for no reason at all.
I have no chords track.
It drives me nuts. The solution would be to have one track per articulation, but what’s the point of having expression maps then ? :confused:
Hope this problem will be solved in a future update !

2 Likes

Hi,

This is, how we did it in the past, before expression maps.

Could you please share one of the Expression Map (for the testing purpose) and one track (with that expression map), which fails often?

Does it fail also just while playback (in loop)? Or do you have to stop playback, jump to other position in the project…? I would like to make it reproducible.

This still driving me nuts…so, just to add to the cause, here is a little short clip showing it in the act.

You can note that it starts with the Pizzicato articulation, and right in the middle of the (greenish / bluish) note, for no reason changes to Arco and stays there… :open_mouth:
The track wasn’t selected, neither armed, so no MIDI data is being sent to it.

One thing to note is that the project has a lot of tempo changes, but it doesn’t always switches to the default articulation on the same spot, it actually varies a lot and it’s very inconsistent.

I just spotted this one, but it happens with many other tracks as well.

Edit: Added link to the expression map

I’m using expression maps from this link…
https://www.spitfireaudiothepage.com/posts/cubase-template-01

Same thing here. A session that works just fine here on Nuendo 10.2.20 (same ”generation” as Cubase 10 for those wondering) randomly switches to the first articulation on 10.5.

I haven’t figured out a 100% way to reproduce unfortunately, but it happens on every other playback or so with Cubase 10.5 in my problem session, whereas when I loaded the session in Nuendo 10.2.20 the issue never happened again.

The problem appeared at least with my custom expression map for Spitfire samples utilizing CC messages for switching. No chord track.

Hi community

Like you, this bug makes me crazy :blush: :blush: :blush:
It’s easy to reproduce…

I play staccato bar32 violins 1
During the playback I use a key command to return directly to project start.
Well my long strings bar1 play staccato instead of legato…
Of course, all my notes have an articulation :wink:

Please Steinberg, fix it faster as you can and you should :frowning:

Sorry for my bad english :wink:

Hello everybody,

Well, I can say I fix it the problem… Yes I say I fix it !
Finally, just enough to keep working. So, let’s say 90% until Steinberg fixes this bug :wink:
Long nights are good to think about this problem.

Well, the articulation stay in place when you change events because there is not midi signal transmitted to the library. As I say, to keep working, it’s a solution that calms me down a bit :slight_smile: When you move a lot in big sessions, it can be useful, for me anyway.
I join 2 pictures.
So, I put an event called ‘fake event’ before the real part. Inside, I create one note that I mute and I associate it with an another articulation. It can be one note 1/32, just before.

I tested several scenari to if it worked every time and I can say yes.
I hope this TEMPORARY tip can help you lower your blood pressure and make your music sounds like you heard it. In the meantime, let’s pray…
On the other hand, if you find other less cumbersome tips to work around the problem, share with the whole community, please :wink:

Sorry for my english, I’m still french :laughing: Stay strong, stay home :nerd:

Hi,

Thank you very much yayellou for this!

If I understand you right, this means, the bug originally occurs only if the MIDI Note (and the articulation) is placed at the very beginning of the MIDI Part. Am I right?

If I’m right, could you attach a screenshot of your Preferences > MIDI settings, please? Actually I’m wondering about all parameters there.