UR 44 C: Direct Monitoring not working properly & poor busses naming in Audio Connections (related)

Hi!

Summary of problems:

1. Direct Monitoring not working as it should: the vocalist cannot hear herself through the head phone amp.

2. Direct Monitoring not working as it should: the producer cannot hear the vocalist singing.

3. The busses naming in Cubase Audio Connections is not in sync with naming on UR 44 C.

On Cubase 10.5, the button of “Main” is switched off for recording a vocalist and only “Phones” is switched on for the vocalist. Direct Monitoring is switched on as advised by the manual.

1. Monitors setup:

Monitors are on Main Out 1 and 2 of the device as advised by the manual.

Side Note: There are no dedicated busses named “Main Out 1” and “Main Out 2”. They do not appear on the list of available busses under Audio Connections, therefore “UR 44 C Mix 1 L” and “UR 44 Mix 1 R” busses were selected for monitors.

This causes confusion because the naming of the busses is not in sync with the naming on the UR 44 C outs:

The busses (under Control Room in Audio Connections window) that work for monitors are “UR 44 C Mix 1 L” and “UR 44 Mix 1 R” whereas the manual advises that the headphone amp be plugged on Out 1L and Out 1R of the UR 44 C.

2. For Headphone Amp set up:

The cables that go to the headphone amp are connected on Out 1L and 1R as advised by the manual.

On Audio Connections in Cubase, the busses, “UR 44 C Mix 2 L” and “UR 44 Mix 2 R” are available since the “UR 44 C Mix 1 L” and “UR 44 Mix 1 R” are occupied for monitors. But confusingly, the manual advised that, the head phone amp be plugged on Out 1L and 1R on the UR 44C.

Problem: the vocalist cannot hear herself and the project mix.

This means that Direct Monitoring is not working as it should.

This only becomes partially resolved (only the project mix is heard; the vocalist cannot hear herself through the head phone amp) when I disobey the manual and put the headphone amp cables on “Out 2 L” and “Out 2 R” on the UR 44 C and I put the busses to “UR 44 C Mix 2 L” and “UR 44 Mix 2 R”.

Please advise.

Have you seen this?:

Hi! Haralson

Thank you for attempting to help. I did see it and applied the solution but it still does not appear.

Perhaps I should open Cubase 10 and see if it appears.

Hi! Everyone

The problem has been resolved.

Do share…

Has anyone found an answer to this problem?

My problem with the UR44C seemed to be a faulty jack adapter. Had been using it for years with no issues… but it never hurts buying a better one!