Cubase 10.5 HiDPI on Windows 10

Are steinberg lowering their prices at the same time i supposed to lower my expectations?

Anyway, i’ve lost interest in their second rate coding and first rate BS.

I have no problems with other daws and their plugin handling on 4k, so steinberg will have to lower their expectations of any money going their way from me, i’m off.

I’m (reasonably) happy with the workaround posted above. I think if the code simply prevented the VSTi interfaces from being over-sized, I’d be OK. There needs to be a way to separate the font size in -Cubase- from the renderings in the plug-ins.

I frankly think SB should lean on plug-in devs a bit to get -their- UIs to conform. (I’m talking to YOU Arturia). Most plugs seem to work OK for me. But a few (like Arturia) seem to want to do things non-standard.

MAC vs WINDOWS and Microsoft Team’s Response POV Firsthand Story

And for all you Mac users that say this is a Windows thing, it is not. Supporting many resolutions/framerates/technologies like HDR is a cornerstone of Windows and why gaming, VR and now AR only runs perfectly now on Windows OSs- not a Mac. Games/VR/AR need so many resolution/framerate/HDR/holographic options and Microsoft gives us developers the power to get under the hood and empower all!

I had a NDA with with Microsoft at my previous company where I was CEO of V-MODA (division of ROLAND), we worked with them on headphones, Midi 2.0, XBOX, store sales and more. HiDPI was more of an issue circa 2015/2016 and by 2018 the Windows best practices had been implemented by almost all major flagship 3rd party software and games, but that was ~2-5 years ago!

I was at Microsoft HQ the days of October 6, 2015 when the Surface Book was launched; I noticed they put a unique 3:2 HiDPI display with an unknown 3240 x 2160 3:2 resolution on their flagship SurfaceBook vs 4K 3840x2160 16:9. I asked their team why 3:2 and was worried the DPI/resolution issues would hurt music software like Serato that we were working with in partnership with Roland’s DJ-808 and other controllers.

They assured me they were working to give the developers the docs and tools to make HiDPI a reality in every resolution and DPI, 21:9 widescreen and also 3:2 should also be supported in the OS+APPS as it is a great ergonomic aspect ratio for holding devices in your arms for devices of the future (and like the new Surface DUO coming out)!

In short, this is NOT a Windows vs Mac issue.

As I tell my engineering teams in similar situations and I think this applies to Windows HiDPI:

“DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY.” -YODA

+1

Thank you! I was experiencing serious Cubase UI issues on my setup with mixed 4K and HD monitors. Not just too small, but menu click targets changing, drag & drop malfunctions and more.

This change of setting solved my issues.

:slight_smile:

Where is the fix ?

In my case this does not best solution
now i have a size of 200% and it looks very small. I will attach a pictureS to see AFTER AND BEFORE
Of course, I changed the program’s properties from Windows to access this result, and if I left the default settings, the plug-in window came cropped

It’s very simple:
The proposed solution isn’t more than an effort at a workaround, and no real solution. It doesn’t work well enough at all for many of us, for various reasons.

The only well working solution would be a heavily overdue HiDPI update by Steinberg. But we heard it will take up to Cubase 11, just to make a tiny first step towards flexible resolution settings, and to get a full HiDPI implementation worth calling that, we will even have to wait considerably longer.

As it is now and will stay for much too long, Steinberg doesn’t offer convincing and flexible HiDPI implementation for Cubase at all.
Extremely disappointing, and alienating.

Somehow the management only wants new “features” vs fixing the most critical part, the GUI.

IMO without a properly working GUI, all the features in the world are completely useless. They need to step back and think “WWAD”, WHAT WOULD APPLE DO?! In 2020, even Microsoft and all other software companies understand the GUI errors are #1 priority above all. Cutoff screens, menus make the application unusable

My software company always fixes the UI first, then continue to fix or add features. On our websites, if a single thing renders wrong on any of the 10 phones we use to test, we make that the #1 priority to fix.

Very sad…

I agree except for the WWAD part. Apple is a marketing machine with plenty of lawsuits for shady business practices.

My everyday struggle. I am so frustrated from this. IK multimedia of the screenframe, UVI of the frame (ok only with overriding the Cubase/Nuendo DPI settings), Melda of the screenframe etc etc. When overriding the program settings (using DPI from the application) … another issues are coming then. Cannot use third (non 4k screen). I cannot resize the track size in project, because is way too small, or way too big. Nothing between, there is a massive jump on track size (on 150% HiDPI) … I spent 33% of my work (not) solving this crap. Tired, tired, tired!!!

Meanwhile, Im still waiting for a reply from steinberg :laughing:

this is just sad :frowning:

Bump

Seems the only thing we can do now is wait and create a Zoom support group for all the frustrated 4K Windows users! I actually had to downgrade and buy 2 used 1080p monitors. This is the first time ever I’ve downgraded hardware for software.

To help with the Steinberg 4K GUI frustrations killing my creativity, I actually started using Bitwig and Cubasis on my 12.9 iPad in my creative DAW workflow… Bitwig really did an amazing job on the UI. It is very similar layout to Cubase/Nuendo with the inspector on left and media on right. Of course Bitwig’s post power, multichannel and MIDI editor is way behind Cubase Pro/Nuendo, but the Bitwig UI is far beyond Ableton. They have DPI awareness nailed down.

So for using my plugin synths in 4k, using their modulation options, modular grid and producing using scenes, finally music and my GUI has become fun vs frustrating. It just sucks to have to export/import all my songs via MIDI for post.

Also, the new Nuendo update also launched and nothing new on fixing the 4k flaws… but we now also have a color mixer like Cubase :>.

I really hope Steinberg management sees the many users suffering in the forums and can prioritize this even over launching new products… I know from working with Japanese and German Music Industry companies that they want to stick to launch timelines to the death, but the smart strategy is prioritizing the fix of the flagship UI flaws that enable the overall Steinberg ecosystem to flourish.

But, here we are at a point where the software is lagging behind the hardware in a CONSUMER environment. That’s the kicker. Not Professional, not Prosumer but it’s so far behind that the avg. consumer setup is surpassing the software. That should never happen.

btw, No to zoom…

“A third class action lawsuit was filed against Zoom in California, citing the three most significant security issues raised by researchers: Facebook data-sharing, the company’s admittedly incomplete end-to-end encryption, and the vulnerability which allows malicious actors to access users’ webcams.”

Thanks a lot for this workaround!!
I have bought KOMPLETE 12 and included instrument MASSIVE & MASSIVE X wouldn’t behave properly with 4K when using 150% scaling.
When pointing the cursor at any one control, it would actually be pointing at a point higher up on the right, until using your workaround then it lins up normally.
I have emailed N.I. to make their instruments scalable and asked my music shop to lobby also. They did reply to them saying their is no workaround but they have scalability in their list of WIP requests so let’s hope they are genuninely going to invest their time for us all.
They also said there is no workaround for the small text however Windows has a magnifier activated simply by Windows key & the + key, to cancel is Windows key & the Esc key which I find useful. Hope this helps others too looking at this thread.

Im on a 32" 4k benQ professional screen, and I was dismayed to see cubase 10.5’s high DPI (yes, I understand the difference between many pixels and high pixel density) mode implementation on windows10. And this was without anything loaded into the projects - no incompatible VSTs loaded. I guess developing things like that Backbreaker drum machine took precedent, etc etc.

Patching old complaints vs developing new business? Where is that meme with the guy ignoring his girlfriend, and whistling at the other as she passes by?

Kend - wow, thanks for the Windows + reminder, I totally forgot about the WIN+ WIN- WINesc shortcuts but I used to use it all the time! THAT WILL HELP ME A TON WITH MASSIVE/KOMPLETE KONTROL and some of the tiny plugins that cannot scale

Milkman - TOO funny about the whistling at the other girl while with his hot girlfriend analogy.

I felt the same way when Steinberg told us how long and hard it is to fix the UI bugs in a reasonable time frame, but then they announce Backbonebreaker drum and Cubasis for Android; their team clearly needs to reprioritize resources on making the core users and new core users Cubase/Nuendo 4L UI function properly over obvious niche products=.

And what about when a Cubasis user does a trial of the desktop DAW app? They won’t buy into the Steinberg ecosystem if it is not pixel perfect in 2020!

~20 months now with no fix in sight… sadly I am ordering a second 1080P monitor today, I cannot believe I have been forced to downgrade two of my monitors