Cubase 11

The pattern is logical analysis and conclusion.

I have a personal list of about 200 feature requests spread out across multiple notebooks crammed with notes, some of which are the ones you’ve listed. I know every quirk about this program like how StepDesigners CC modulators are Cubase global and don’t save/recall project to project which is annoying and ridiculous.

• Waveform anti-aliasing.

Nice but non-essential.
-Isn’t going to significantly speed up workflow
-Isn’t going to assist in improving audio/production quality
-Isn’t going to contribute or help deliver creative output
-Isn’t going to improve performance (if anything decrease it)

• Professional metering

Nice, but again, can live without, have 3rd party tools as most do.
-Isn’t going to significantly assist in improving audio/production quality
-Isn’t going to improve performance (if anything decrease it)

• Moving tracks in mixer.

Nice, but meh, I’ve lived without and can continue to. I think potential problems with this is the folders aren’t displayed in mixer.
-Could speed up workflow a bit, but not significantly. I always keep my tracks organized before I’m opening up the mixer.
-Isn’t going to significantly assist in improving audio/production quality

• Warping on arrangement window/tracks.

Not sure what you’re talking about here

• Better fonts/colors.

-meh, everything’s fine, check your OCD maybe.
-Isn’t going to improve performance

• Ability to turn on and off grid lines in arrangement window.

This could be useful with a key command but again:

• Multi-track free warp

-This could be useful, but honestly, I avoid Warp at all costs. cut-slide-xfade is still the preferred method - doesn’t degrade the sound variably across the entire project from one section to the next, doesn’t create artifacts, etc.

• Nudging of events and midi notes by specific musical or time values by key command and nudge tools (without the use of logical editor).

Why? What is wrong with keybinding PLE scripts? I think you can even skip PLE and just use macros for this:
–Cut
–Nudge Cursor Forward by quantize value
–Paste

• Proper EUCON support (reflect hidden tracks etc.)

I’m guessing Steinberg/Yamaha are developing their own control/console interfaces such as Nuage.

• Gapless audio engine

Nice, would be good to get rid of any slight annoyance like this

• Folder group tracks (folder tracks fold/reflect in mixer)

Manageable without this, can survive.

• Range selection edit on event gain/envelopes

-Could be nice, but you can set up a macro to split the selection, trim by -6db and crossfade all in one key stroke.

• Stereo plugins on mono tracks.

Could be useful sometimes, but I hardly run into this and a solution is a keystroke away and couple clicks away.

• Range selection edit on tempo track.

I’ll give you this one, anyone doing a lot of tempo work, tempo editing is a bit finicky.

• Ability to show only event name or event description—not both. Or events follow track names exactly always. Also event names to be tabbed thinly so they don’t overlap waveforms (see Logic or Cubase 5?)

Nice but can live without, actually if I were to suggest one thing here, it would be to resolve the name obscuring the waveform. the name should be behind the waveform or transparent or something.

• Tabbed VST views

This could be good, I’ll give you this one. Some sort of VST window management

• Slicing in sampler track

This could be good, I’ll give you this one.

• Smooth playhead cursor (see Logic Pro X)

Not sure what you’re talking about here - my cursor is fine.

• Inspector icons/workflow enhancement.

huh?

• Elastic band in midi editor like Ableton

Not sure what this so I’ll pass personally

• Improved markers display/visuals

The only thing I would suggest here is that there is an option for markers to visually extend their legs down to the bottom of the project and to pin marker tracks to the top ruler or in the project Overview which would give it a use.

• Drum editor and key editor enhancement (patterns).
  • Everythings pretty good to make music and compositions. What I would improve actually is the DrumMap editor which is still an archaic line by line text column editor thing.
  • Triplets and swing grid in warping

I perform triplets. I think isn’t there a way to hack your own grid map? I thought there was a way to do this. maybe not.

• Better way to import and store swing/groove Q presets.

Sure I don’t know, I guess. sort of a yawn. I’ll throw you a bone I guess.

• LFOs/VST modular routing.

If you’re talking FL Studio cross patching, Not really what Cubase does nor is it what I want my head to be contending with while working in Cubase. Cubase hosts things that does this. Last thing I would want is for someone to send me their project to work on and have this random poopies scattered everywhere.
-so, no. bad idea.

• Ableton Link support

-Why? Never understand why people have utility for this, is it even realistic? There’s already ways of achieving this as stated above. Just do some work in Ableton, commit, export. I’m more concerned with improving Cubase as a self-contained program integrating other Steinberg assets.

• Paid 500 series type options for channel strip. Perhaps an even deeper Console 1 integration with strips.

They could do this with RND (I have a thread suggesting so), but this isn’t a priority, there’s already so many plugin options out there offering colours.

• Maybe a hardware controller for Groove Agent (see PreSonus or NI)

This would be good and is something missing. Steinberg has the software asking for HW drum control, Yamaha has the resources. They could team up with Roger Linn and Dave Smith (the aesthetics and nerd factor matches Cubase)

• A way to edit transient settings on elastique algorithms. Etc.

Meh, I mostly avoid these utilities but they have their purpose, if some tweakable settings gave significantly better results, sure.

So, it’s only an alright list. And this is the problem with the Feature Requests forums, no offense, but there is a lack of deliberative criticism on what people suggest and why and we just end up with huge lists without a consolidated direction.

Audio Connections

a.) It’s still the old GUI, so it needs an update regardless.

b.) While the industry swung hard into being mostly ITB, it swung back and leveled out between the two in which a lot of people are moving back to or are aspiring to work with analog equipment, gear. Eurorack exploded, 500 series exploded, Behringer is releasing affordable knockoffs, lots of guitar pedal makers as always, DIY pro audio community exploded, used Synth market exploded, pro audio external hardware effects are returning such as the new Neve AMS RMX16 500 and the Eventide H9000. All of Steinbergs new marketing has eurorack and synths in it.

Steinberg has not facilitated this change, in which people have more gear than they do AD/DA and that is a big problem. Audio Connections can’t be shared, they get stolen, they break from project to project and don’t recall properly sometimes. External Audio Connections to make it worse, doesn’t have a full-recall presets only individual presets. If you are running a studio with only 16ad/da which you are using sometimes 16 channels for recording inputs, and then 12 of those are being switched to analog gear for mixing, and then you’re having to switch back to full recording set up, and then you’re doing a combination of synth recording and external mixing, etc, etc. It’s incredibly non-viable way of working.

Now the vast majority of people who have Cubase, probably have no gear, perhaps not even AD/DA and just use their laptops headphone out. But this is important for Steinberg to facilitate professional studios and high-end hobbiests. Steinberg is at a critical point to break a bigger chunk off of that market for themselves, and improving this aspect of Cubase is essential to that.

Brother/sister, all I see is “I think”, “Doesn’t affect me”, “I can live without it”, “me, in my opinion, my workflow, I don’t care…” etc. :unamused:

Then you say “Okay. I guess I’ll throw you a bone here…” I can do without the condescension, thanks. Moreover, you assume most people who use Cubase don’t have outboard gear or even dedicated AD/DA converters. Your tone is curt, snarky, and it seems like you’re just looking for an argument. That’s not my style, and it’s not productive.

These are just feature requests! Yours are just as valid as mine. Wish you all the best in life. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s just not true. “Yours are just as valid as mine.” - that’s just not how the world works, and you won’t succeed as neither a leader or a hand with that mentality. I systematically broke down each point as to why it isn’t high priority (and noted the ones that are/could be) and your ego has resulted in your failure to accept that, plain and simple.

““I think”, “Doesn’t affect me”, “I can live without it”,” Isn’t non-relative to other people. As an individual, I’ve identified in myself what I’ve seen others struggle with, and what others have left the program over. Sorry, but I’m not going to allow you to devalue my contention under the notion that I am acting selfishly when I’ve taken the time to self-critique and analyze my thoughts on the program while it appears you haven’t.

Not trying to be a d!ck, I a just am, and know that the discussion and deliberation in this forum needs to be a lot more focused and deliberative if the program is going to continue in the right direction based on what people desperately do-or-die need.

Well I took more time to explain your points than you did yourself of which you didn’t even seem to put in order of importance, unless you think - ‘Waveform anti-aliasing’ is the most important.

Egos get in the way of having conversations which I’m willing to have. Success isn’t limited.

ps a leader would have said, “Tell me more, explain”

Remote control setup update. It is probably the worst in market

Is it? I love you.

You’d say ‘tell me more’ because it could potentially benefit you and if you find things out that benefit you, you reduce your chances of failure or stress.

And yes, I would do that, I love farting. It’s because these lists hardly ever have any logical direction or assessment contained within and they never work to address actually severe problems in the topology of the program however boring they seem. That is the beauty of logic (not the program), democracy only works if people understand reality which is why democracy has these blackholes of failure that go unnoticed - such as in - Cubase - such as in - Audio Connections. People generally don’t have a practice of self-critiquing.

You posted a thread called Cubase 11 and the problem is you typed a curated list without doing any weeding, and it’s not hard to suss things out a bit, make a list of pros/cons, and ask yourself some basic questions:

-Is it going to significantly speed up workflow and help people stay organized?
-Is it going to assist in improving audio/production quality?
-Is it going to contribute or help deliver creative output?
-Is it going to help Steinberg obtain pro/commercial studio market users (important marketing foundation)
-Is it going to better integrate Cubase to modern technologies and equipment and communication protocols/techniques
-Is it going to improve or decrease performance?

These questions eliminate quite a few of the curated requests off the bat, and validate Audio Connection update necessity - that is how I came to my confident conclusions regardless of my own needs.

You posted a list that - you - curated. I made an interjection that Audio Connections is one of the if not the most significant needed improvements to further improve the absolute foundation of what is supposed to be a professional commercial recording/production DAW. This is foundation structure, not sprinkles. Sprinkles get attention, and I like sprinkles to - but making the donut machine operate more efficiently by tweaking some mechanics will result in more donuts to put sprinkles on and more people eating them thus making me more money and putting food on my table. So this is important what we are talking about here, it shouldn’t just be random thoughts that pop into peoples heads and end up on a forum where people just “+1 + 1 +1 +100 +1 +1000” without actually - thinking - about it.

You recognized a pattern so I’m giving it to you full blast. Thank the coffee, and like I said, I love you.

The answer is: yes–to different items on the list, and especially to the individual features these individual conditions may apply, or to which they may be relevant (these qualifiers of yours will need other qualifiers to see why and where they even apply). Let the professionals at Steinberg decide what they wish to implement, and their business managers decide strategy, and let other users express their ideas, yays or nays, and let free enterprise decide which DAW people choose to use and buy. You’ve already expressed your discontent and lack of respect for others. And that’s enough of your trolling now. Peace.

“everyone who disagrees is trolling”

‘significantly’ is a word I should have used more in those questions. Everything in your list I contend with on a day to day basis, have work arounds for, are my own features requests, etc - the question is how significant or “game changer” would they be.

What are your top 3 off your list list?

Another one missing is ‘multi-track freeze’
-Is it going to significantly speed up workflow and help people stay organized? yes
-Is it going to assist in improving audio/production quality? yes
-Is it going to contribute or help deliver creative output? yes
-Is it going to help Steinberg obtain pro/commercial studio market users (important marketing foundation) yes
-Is it going to better integrate Cubase to modern technologies and equipment and communication protocols/techniques improved latency
-Is it going to improve or decrease performance? Increase

Ugh me too haha

While I think lovegames might have been a bit too rough explaining what he thinks I have to partly agree with him. Of course Steinberg has to decide which direction to go with their program, what to implement and so on.
But I am sure Steinberg employees will have a look at the forum from time to time (could be more often if you’d ask me) to take a look what is being discussed, and it would be way better if people would talk about FRs which really make BIG differences to everyones workflow. Mostly these are little things, not another VSTi or nice to have graphics. Just to be clear, there are FRs on your list which really make sense to lots of people, like TabbedVST views or StereoPlugs and so on. But there are also things which, at least I think are not big gamechangers, like the smooth play cursor (which to me seems smooth enough to work without any problems) or “Ability to turn on and off grid lines in arrangement window”. These are nice to haves in comparison to other things IMHO. Also there are some FRs missing here which could save a lot of people a lot of time.

Everybody has the right of posting what they want to have in the next version of the program, but the question is, are threads like these really a “good” thing? Or would it be better to discuss the already open topics better to give them more attention? This subforum has already over 1500 open threads and people continuously open new ones without checking if there is already a similar FR open or without thinking if or how it would even be possible to implement, or how it would affect other features or the rest of the program. Only a few people seem to care about that. And the more threads are opened the less attention other already heavy discussed and important topics get (and the less possible the chance is Steinberg reads them all).

Don’t get me wrong. But whats the point of your thread here? Most of these things are already discussed heavily and should be in their respective threads. Steinberg makes polls for that to get the opinion from all users. While I may understand your frustration about some FRs being asked for ages and nothing happened, this is not the way to go imho.

Peace

Hey, thanks for being civilized! I appreciate your input.

Okay, so here’s where I’m coming from. I want the nice-to-haves. They are more than nice-to-haves for me. The utilitarian principle does not settle everything in life for me (rather how it can become the tyranny of utilitarian principle, just like mob mentality is to democracy). I make that decision for myself. And people have a right to disagree.

If I were smoking and there was no ashtray in front of me–I would not ash in an empty cup. If I had a brand new crystal ashtray, and not a cup, I would not drink my coffee out of that ashtray, etc. Thanks, but no thanks to that “workaround”, Why do those “silly” Japanese people do tea ceremonies? What a waste of time. Just get an electric kettle, tea bags, and get it over with. Money and time saved. Productivity. More time in the studio for clients!

So, if you try to settle everything in life with a utilitarian argument, then yeah. All’s relatively well. Carry on.

Also, some of these features have been discussed elsewhere–their merits and what users thought of them, or if they had ideas on how to implement them better. This is not that thread. It’s what I think should be in Cubase 11 specifically. Some people have appreciated this thread and think it’s a “nice list,” some have decided to reject the whole list and have made personal attacks on me. I welcome everyone to suggest more things in here–or discuss in a mature and civil way. That’s it. If people respectfully respond or take part in this thread, great. If not, it’ll be gone soon, not to worry.

Not a single person in this thread has rejected your entire list. I pointed out that ‘Audio Connections’ which has been discussed a lot and is unarguably important was missing from the list and that I personally would pick it over everything else. You had a snide reply, so then I explained and expanded on my brief interjection and thus to display why it is so important - both critiqued your list, whilst also pointing out some good suggestions on your list, but ultimately ending on why Audio Connections, imo, meets the criteria to be in top 3 most important. At the very least, top 5.

But I’m positive we can be friends.

Please add:

Ripple Editing !!!

THX

Agreed. Added, thank you.

C11 vst request:
oek soothe2 spectral processor vst style
please…

I like that plugin. But chances are slim we get a stock one from Steinberg—I think.

Soothe is fantastic and I hear you, but I feel that there are so many plugin makers like OEK that specialize in things like this, and that Steinberg shouldn’t be expected to do everything for everyone, since no other DAW has everything for a very good reason.

Word.
I’d rather have a superb DAW and superb 3rd party tools which I have to pay for, than a mediocre DAW with all kind of mediocre plugins already built in. So to be clear, they rather should concentrate on delivering the best DAW possible, and leave special plugin designs to companies who put all time and effort in that.

1 Like

Woh, now, they has one request and you just have to go shooting it down like a clay pigeon. :laughing:

Soothe2 is an amazing plugin that is affordable but far to specific. Your request might make more sense to say:
‘expanding the channel EQ and or Studioe EQ to include dynamic bands and band specific de-harshness/de-toning’

I think the industry is seeing that dynamic EQs are becoming the standard, so that makes sense.