Cubase 10.5.20 Maintenance Update

Well … it’s simpler than that: just disable HiDPI, but that’s not the problem here. HiDPI was a selling-point for Cubase 10; it’s still broken in 10.5 and who knows what V11 will bring. Advertising a feature, taking the money, and then telling the users that if you actually want a WORKING feature you gotta pay again. That’s the “not cool” part.

I’d also be perfectly happy if V11 was purely centered on workflow, program responsiveness, bugfixes and finishing up all the half-baked features currently in the program. I feel pretty confident, that if Steinberg did a survey on whats most important to its users and what they are willing to pay for - you’d find workflow and bugfixes very high on that list. A new pad vst is not going to help me make better music; a non-crashing and fast DAW however will do just that! Priorities, please! :smiley:

There must be a logical explanation as to why they seem to be dragging there feet with fixes. Something to do with business modelling I assume. It’s just a pity that we the users are subjected to the agony of features that almost work properly.
As artists we seek beautiful sounds. Now we need the devs to seek a beautiful DAW. At the moment it’s a Frankendaw. There is the basis of a good DAW but it’s held together with sticky tape and staples. After 30 years one would think they would have this DAW thing licked by now.

OK I will explain to you in simple terms why I need HiDPI to work. With HiDPI switched off Cubase is almost blurred and after a short while is hard on the eyes. With HiDPI switched on at 100% it is too small to read and at 200% half the real estate is off the screen. Get the problem and please do not suggest buying another monitor to solve what is basically a Steinberg/Cubase/Windows problem. I need HiDPI Scaling at 125% and its as simple or as dificult as that.

DAW´s that do HiDPI scaling perfectly well:- Ableton Live, Bitwig, Reaper and Studio One. Note I only mention these as I currently use Studio One and downloaded trials of the others to check them out. Now on the basis that these DAW´s in principle are business competitors of Cubase you would think that the odd man out needs to get their act together pretty quickly just to stay level with the rest of the field regarding HiDPI scaling.

Lastly I appreciate the problem and I also appreciate Mathias explaining the Steinberg position but I also believe it is unsustainable. Unless of course the number of MAC users alone is sufficient to maintain the business (I understand that Cubase HiDPI Scaling works on a MAC). Oh and don´t even suggest it, no I am not buying a MAC and I am not changing my Monitor. LOL. :slight_smile:

Thank u …
this is what I wanted to explain, because I have programming experience
Microsoft //Build/ conference
i attended more than once from its beginnings, and they always offer very advanced tools that are not found in the Mac environment.
Steinberg sold us (10.0, 10.5) the same price as the Mac version
Note that the support were a difference
Why was the versions of Mac and Windows the same price?

It seems that the love of this company and its products will soon die
Now the market is full of competitors and each competitor has stronger points than the other
We just got used to this program and loved it
We wrote here about our love for this company, but the answer was disappointing and not convincing

If this is the company’s last decision, then it is the end for me
Studio One is a very powerful competitive alternative

@Quietly
+1

I don’t see me returning from eye saving 4k monitors to lower res, hard on the eyes in long work, across everything I do on computers: it’s a night and day experience difference in everyday work looking at screens! And frankly, I find the proposition, to regard that as possible solution, plain ridiculous.

Probably 125% would indeed be the fitting next step, after 100% and 200% NOT doing a proper job with most actuacl HiDPI monitors used, and more users probably wanting 125% rather than 150% with their actual monitors. Looks like we are supposed to wait MUCH too long for that to happen.

Shouldn’t we bring the video support thing from Cubase 8.5 back on the plate to showcase the lack of reliability of this company?! Companies which vanished from the market were many times going down by mismanagement. It’s not only the HDPI thing, but with too many versions Cubase is not maintenanced accurately. Whoever’s decision it is, too many times these little things were never looked at. And better nit to mention their poor support culture. No doubt, many other DAW companies just got new customers because of the little things and lack of customer care. I am getting sick of it, be Cubase still one of the best DAWs on the market from a general point of view, this company is not predicted to stay much longer than 5 years with such business attitude. UAD ia now even fishing for DAW users…Pitty to see…when everything fell down no one really cared… :unamused:

Why does it cost so much to do things well? It is so obvious…

This year’s on line polls have seen cubase fall to number 5, it seems a whole generation of users are turning their backs on it whilst long time users are switching to alternatives. Many users have multi daw installations, it’s not a luxury these days, it’s the norm. Steinberg seem to forget that, much to their cost I’m afraid.

It only takes a few minutes to register and download a “life version” fully functioning daw with generous upgrade paths, pro tools first, Studio one one prime, Ableton lite, garageband, cakewalk is free and of course a copy of the ever popular reaper is only pennies. Sure Steinberg are innovative but they’re not consistant. Instead of fixing loads of bugs they make it worse by introducing a new user interface with many more issues, a pointless exercise in fashion ,by the time they get it right it will be really dated.

Steinberg are making a mess of things at the moment, it would seem they’re having issues with the big boss Yamaha who control the purse strings and direction . All big corporations are very greedy and control. Yamaha have seemingly pulled the plug on a promising Steinberg direction, they pulled the plug on the highly successful DM series of mixing desks/controlers, stopped supporting Studio Manager software just leaving tne 01v96i hybrid desk/controller using studio manager which has not been updated since SX3, probably to push the market towards Nuage control, a disaster all around it would seem whilst dropping (yet to this day promising for the last 4 years) support for Eucon or indeed many other control surfaces, without offering a bespoke affordable alternative.

The whole HiDPI/4k debacle is just the latest of in a long line of bad marketing moves to a disenfranchised user base. People have spent thousands buying new gpu and monitors as did many on a whole host of very expensive Eucon control surfaces on false marketing claims but Steinberg. It’s clear to see how they are seemingly falling from grace, what’s not so clear is now they’ll pick themselves back up.Another hashed up new synth, plugin or another folder full.of loops won’t resolve things for sure.

• 1 Free upgrade or I am jumping ship

+1 here as well. i feel we should get a free upgrade because of this feature mis-advertising.

That being said, there does seem to be a little bit of confusion as to what HIDPI is

I find it absolutely astonishing just how inept, careless, and lazy this company has become. Every new release/update is a horror show. It’s as if no one is in charge of what’s being done. From our perspective everything seems so random.

For example, earlier in this post Matthias said that they removed the (extremely useful!) ability to change quantize settings with the mouse wheel for consistency. Yet the toolbar is now more inconsistent than ever in this regard. Rather than go for consistency by removing existing functionality, why not achieve it by adding/maintaining it?

Steinberg apparently is appalled at the thought of its customers being productive and happy. They keep making foolish changes that anger and demotivate their users. Why? It’s truly incomprehensible.

I suspect it was an accident but they made out that it was on purpose to avoid appearing incompetent. A simple ‘sorry we will fix it, I will have a stern word to the person responsible ASAP’ would suffice. But Steinberg behaves like it never sets a foot wrong and it is all part of some master plan that we are not privy to. I would like to see this master plan blueprint. I envision it being with crayon on a napkin or sheet of toilet paper.

As a relatively new visitor to these shores, this is exactly how I see it. I have experience of several other DAWs over the last three decades and, in comparison to most, Cubase now feels like a product that’s out of control and running away from the development team. It feels very much like a product in desperate needs of a rewrite as they did with SX - take Frankendaw out the back and put it out of its misery.

I’d dearly love to switch 100% to Cubase because there is so much that’s amazing about it, but until they change their contemptuous policy of releasing half-baked features and expecting multiple payments to fix them, I’m afraid I can’t commit.

What a depressing thread!

It’s unfortunate that I agree with 90% of what’s been written. I’m currently making a slow transition to Logic having been a Cubase and PC man all my life. 90% of my clients are using Logic and there’s a demand for me to be able to send sessions back and forth as I mix them, so I have little choice. I can’t stand Logic and not a fan of Mac’s either! Age and Cubase muscle memory are not on my side… I don’t tell my clients I use Cubase any more, half of them have never heard of it and the others are under the impression it’s not a ‘pro’ DAW bless them.

I’ve defended and stuck by Cubase for a long long time, but simple economics is driving me to adapt to other platforms. I’ll continue to use Cubase for my own projects and see where the whole Logic thing takes me.

Did you know Logic (also Ableton, Fl Studio) doesn’t have PDC on group tracks?
Or their latency issues & muti-core supporting, and I can continue that kind of list, more & more. Because I’m member of one big community (in Russia) where many of us get inside “Daw vs Daw war”. Where every person trying to explain why their daw best and flexible the others in market. And in same time they explain what they hate in their daw.

Every war finish only with 2 DAWs who works ALMOST perfect:

1. Cubase
  2. Reaper

Others have tons of IMPORTANT issues (PDC first one)

So, I’m wondering, how you guys keep blame cubase, in same time that we don’t have good & strong alternative.

Yes, they should fix bugs, yes need some improvements. But I’m pretty sure Developers already know, and strategy for implementing all fixes and new features - ready.

Stay safe

Seems like Cubase also as some issues with PDC on fundamental levels. Musical timing dependent on buffer size - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Exactly.

I’m well aware of the downsides of Logic. I prefer Cubase and, where I can, I will continue to use it, Ibut 'm having to adapt to new ways of working and that means I have to use Logic.

I’m wondering why you say there isn’t a good alternative when almost every single client I work with is producing records using Logic without complaint?

I saw many times how logic users (8+ years) always blame it “Flintstones car in Nascar racing”, they come to this conclusion only after comparison with others DAW. I agree maybe their Logic knowledge not at high level, thats why, but its not 5-10 people, many more.
Most of them working with Audio (recording different sources Vocal, Drums, Guitars… Editing & so on)
And when they discovered power of others DAWs (most of time its Cubase, Reaper, Samplitude) they get shocked how they can improve their workflow speed & save time.
I don’t force earlier mentioned DAW, you can go to others DAW forums and read what problems they have.
And, again, compare to problems what have Cubase, we are in good situation :slight_smile: IMHO

Cheers

Does anybody also experience this menu issue of the text disappearing in Windows 4k HiDPI?
CUBASE NUENDO MENU BAR DISSAPEAR 2020-06-07_14-49-59.gif
I am about to throw in the towel, looks like I am going to be forced to downgrade from 4K on my 27" main screens and buy two new 24" 1080P monitors to continue working in Cubase/Nuendo or use Bitwig/Ableton/Reaper until this GUI is ever fixed. Definitely cannot add a Mac Pro just to run one program! Cubase/Nuendo’s features, mixer/panners and MIDI editor are amazing, but without a working UI, it is useless for me at this point and its sapping my creative energy.