New UR44C issues

I received my UR44C audio interface today and have followed the instructions in the manual for installing and making it work on a Mac.
However, I’m experiencing a few issues.

When powering my interface through USB C, the output light starts flickering (turning on and off), this doesn’t happen when I power it through the 12V connector. I would like to use my interface without the 12V so I’m wondering how to fix this light flickering and why this is happening?

Thank you in advance.

I also found out today that even when my gain is set to 0 on microphone inputs, somehow there is still some sound detected, I can’t fully silence it.
This shouldn’t be normal, or am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

https://download.steinberg.net/downloads_hardware/UR-C/Manuals/UR44C_Operation_Manual_English.pdf#G5.1047219

Ah my bad for not seeing this document. Thanks!
Will try connecting it with a USB type C to type C cable, I find it a little weird this cable wasn’t included in the package though…

1 Like

You will not believe the number of problems I now have with UR 44 C. I had to turn back an artist yesterday.

The software of the UR 44 C is not done right and I am beginning to be discouraged in praising this product and encouraging others to buy it. Direct Monitoring is not working as it should: If you activated Direct Monitoring on Cubase 10.5, there is still feedback on the speakers. The manual is poorly written: I had to improvise at some point to resolve this. I love Steinberg but they need to pay attention to their UR 44 C application and operation.

Also, the problem of the DSP effect that disappears if you create your own input busses.

There are just too may problems and I am becoming disgruntled.

2 Likes

The same problem here. it seems loopback is not working at all as well.

I’ve killed my ears couple of days ago as I wanter to have a circle loop with external reverb. It’s just blowed my monitors and knobs didn’t work — all was down. Faders in the DSPmix also was down, but it didn’t work — but monitors were still screaming. I seem to think there is no such thing as control of the interface at all. It leaves it’s own life. And there is design problem on the first place: no daw/direct mix knob, no off button. It IS real pain!

So, what we get? I’m looking for other device. As it was update after ur 22 mk2 — and this interface was really good, but has only one output, right now I need something that works at least. Real disappointment of the year.

1 Like

I have the UR816C and indeed with de gain down to zero some signal is still there, which I myself don’t see as a problem.
You can mute that channel if you do not want to hear it, or use the PAD for lowering the gain.
I tested just now on my Yamaha N12 mixer and there also is some signal audible, so no, not an issue.
It is a gain/amplifier circuit, not an actual volume control. That would be the fader in the DSP mixer. When you turn that one down, the signal is completely gone.

Read my recording post of the UR816C.
I did not activate Direct Monitoring & the speaker icon on the track. I guess that causes a feedback.
I do not understand why you should activate Direct Monitoring in Cubase because you are monitoring the input of the interface so there is no latency issue.
But correct me if I’m wrong

Lucky you. I have full signal on input 1/2/3 or 4 (whom i’m kidding, 5 and 6 are here too) as DIRECT monitoring with Output knob to zero and Loop back button off and/or channel fader in the DSP is down.
Tried to reinstall drivers and TOOLS from the ground. Doesn’t help me at all.

ur44c is a real crap as well as the Yamaha drivers for it. The worst audio-interface I had yet. Raw software and hardware is poorly designed. NEVER BUY STEINBERG UR44C!

2 Likes

I don’t know your exact way of connection , use (using it in Cubase?) and settings offcourse. What I do know is that the manual may be somewhat confusing. Again, I do NOT use Direct monitoring in Cubase, I can’t see the benefit of it. Everything works as it should without using this.
Also avoid connecting some FX-hardware to the same output as it is on an input (feedback).
I can’t imagine that the 44 would be so much different than the 816 that I have. But hey, i am not sure offcourse.

I have a general positive impression about the 816 unit (execpt for the very weak phones jacks) and also it’s drivers.
Only improvement for my wishes would be the connection possibilities in the DSPfx software and offcourse the poorly written manual.

I have decided that I will not buy Steinberg Audio Interfaces anymore. The support thereof is poor and the internal programming for functionality is not well done.

+1
UR22c soon to be returned. Looking at a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 instead.

the UR44 manual had the descriptions of Hi-z and Mic/line backwards. As a beginner it caused countless hours trying to understand why I was following what people told me but seeing different results. My input and main out jacks wore out over time. Tried to order them but Yamaha never 1)created the spare part in their inventory system 2)didn’t stock it in CA because it was never setup… Because of covid and holidays, it took literally two months to get “a part number” set-up. They setup the wrong part number and while on the phone with the parts dept (after holding for at least an hour) they were somehow able to set-up the right part immediately. Now it’s supposed to take 8+ weeks to get the parts from Japan to CA, then it needs to come to GA. I bought a UR44C to keep the UR44 as a backup. I noticed with my UR44, once in a while, I heard cable noise from unplugged cables.
No tracks were monitor enabled. No tracks showed meter signal. The stereo out didn’t show meter signal. I now experienced that with my UR44C. I deleted all tracks and stereo out in the project and I still have guitar sound playing. I see the input tracks in the project show signal when I play the guitar but I don’t understand where the output is going. I opened the DSP program and see signal in the meters. At least I can open the DSP along with Cubase because the UR44 didn’t allow that. I’ve now popped my monitors from plugging/unplugging guitars, when I expected to have been muted. How do I turn off the the sound so I only hear it when I monitor enable a track?

Turn on direct monitoring in Cubase.

1 Like

I found an answer in a different thread that worked. The answer was to open the DSP software and on the DAW track, click the ‘Solo’ button.

I just bought it and I can’t even get the driver to work on PC Windows 10. HIGHLY FRUSTRATING since it’s brand new and everything has been updated. And it just WONT WORK.

The software and manuals that came with this is NOT Steinberg quality. If this is where this company is heading… I’m already looking for a new DAW to jump to. I’ve been with Steinberg from the beginning, but this hardware’s software is just HORRIBLE.

NOW you tell me. I can’t get the driver to work. I think I’m going to have to return it and buy from another company.

Hello,
I have a UR816C.
My outputs are set to DAW direct 1 to 8.
All input channels are muted in dspMixFx.
Input signals are sent to my Cubase and then back to dspMixFx.
The result is that muting and monitoring is controlled from Cubase.
Works in the same manner when I’m using direct monitoring.

I have an eight channel unit connected with an an optical fiber.
Those outputs are also set to DAW direct 1 to 8.
Tha actual connection is DAW direct 9 to 16.
This is confusing in the software and the manual.

@marlizm
Hi, I had the same problem UR44C connecting to USB3.0!
I read the answers to your problem and I wondered…
In my box there was a correct USB3.0 cable, but I also have to connect to the ac adapter at the same time!
First, when I read the answer with the correct cable, I checked mine and I have the correct connection to a correct USB3.0-Slot (always the blue one)!
And also the switch for power from USB or adapter is in the correct position!
Looks all fine! But only with connection to ac-adapter!!
So I am also looking for a helpful answer! :smile:

USB 3.0 ≠ USB-C.
In order for the UR44C to be bus powered (and therefore to not use the 12V power adapter at the same time), your computers USB port must be a USB-C port. The cable included is not what matters, it is the computers port. A proper USB-C port is able to provide adequate power to power the UR44C, whereas a normal USB 3.0 (blue inside) can not.