3gpp - convert to wav

Wavelab supports a huge range of file formats and for that I am grateful. In this lock down world I’m having to deal with more files off phones and some arrive in 3gpp format. I notice that Wavelab can output files in that format but I don’t see a way of ingesting them?
At the moment I use VLC but obviously I would prefer to use WL!

ta like, ABB

IMHO the best tool for this is FFmpeg. It’s an open-source cross-platform command line tool, but in this case it’s as easy as e.g.:

ffmpeg -i phoneaudio.3gpp phoneaudio.wav

If you want a nice GUI frontend to complicate matters ( :slight_smile: ) then XMedia Recode is a good choice on Windows.

In this lock down world I’m having to deal with more files off phones and some arrive in 3gpp format. I notice that Wavelab can output files in that format but I don’t see a way of ingesting them?

Please send me a file that WaveLab can’t open, to look at it.

Philippe

Thanks MrSoundman,

I have sent the file to PG - he is a very diligent man! I think FFmpeg is behind Handbrake which I use for video but I haven’t come across the XMedia GUI so will give that a try - I’m too old to remember command line syntax. Ta like, ABB.

For some unknown reason, the Fraunhoffer decoder that WaveLab is using, can’t read the example file you sent me. It loads 3gp files that WaveLab creates, though.

I find MediaInfo is a very useful utility for tracking down such problems.

Thanks Philippe - and thanks for taking the time on a lovely Sunday afternoon to look at this. Your support is second to none. The files have been created on various android phones and I’m not sure what sort of library might have been used to create them. I used VLC to convert them and presumably VLC is using FFmpeg, but that is a guess. I’m going to try MrSoundman’s suggestion.

If if is any comfort SoundForge couldn’t read it or Samplitude though for some reason Samplitude wanted me to activate AAC - which I did but it still couldn’t read it. Digital Performer couldn’t read it, I didn’t even try Sadie! dBPpoweramp couldn’t read it either.

Ta like, ppm6.