general observation: this forum is not very alive...

Yes, it is surprising that .30 was never highlighted. And I am surprised that there hasn’t been a .40 update to address some of the bugs and display issues in .30 and earlier. I suspect that SpectraLayers isn’t getting the ‘love’ from Steinberg that it deserves - beta testing seems to be lacking thus far.

SpectraLayers is significantly different in many ways from RX7 (and I do have RX7 Advanced). RX’s approach is increasingly to automate the refinement/correction of the original audio, and RX is way more expansive in its offering than SpectraLayers - RX is more of a SpectraLayers combined with SoundForge combined with a heap of excellent plugins.

SpectraLayers is excellent (for me anyway) for forensically cleaning up background location audio to get rid of or reduce intrusive sounds like clicks, nearby loud voices, wind noise (as long as its not too intrusive), mechanical sounds, etc. For me, SpectraLayers is better in this regard than RX though, to be fair, I have been using SpectraLayers since version 1 so I am quite comfortable with it.

I really hope that SL7 won’t just be the version of SL that SL6 build .40 should have been.