Why buy an EQ plugin?

Discussions about VST Instruments and VST plug-ins from other manufacturers
Tama

Why buy an EQ plugin?

Post by Tama »

Hey!

Come to think about it. As far as I get, an EQ just simply cuts and boosts frequencys, yes? So is there a reason for buying an EQ-plugins, instead of just using the free ones?

Enlighten me!
Macbook Pro - Cubase 10.5 Pro - Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 - Focusrite Octapre mk.2 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - M-Audio KeyRig 49

lordadb

Re: Why buy an EQ plugin?

Post by lordadb »

Only if it improves your work-flow. I made many null tests in the past and the result - between EQs - is positive (if you handle the settings properly). I use Cubase stock eq and, for colour and design, real hardware EQs (1176, API, Pultec...). That's it.
Off course, if a plugin reproduces the right curve, there's no reason to not use it if you can work faster.
Cubase Pro 10.5.20 (italian) - Win 10 Pro x64 - CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.42 GHz - RAM 16 GB - TC Electronic StudioKonnekt 48 (x2) - ATI Sapphire R7 250 Ultimate - Controller: Steinberg CMC-CH, Icon Qcon Pro X+XS, Novation Remote ZERO SL
My studio gears: http://lipstickstudio.maurolamanna.it/a ... -list-ita/

nettydrown

Re: Why buy an EQ plugin?

Post by nettydrown »

For me is is ALL about the sound! work-flo is a bonus. It might help you understand how the "color and Character" can be shaped, this link it is JUST ONE EXAMPLE - one of my favorites the Pultec Pro EQ. A demo of why we like 3rd party plugs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwSlIo1IrDw
They can accurately emulate the vacuum tube "character" and "color" of a classic musical sound that we have all heard on hit songs. You do need to have pretty hi-end system and monitors to really hear the improvements.
Cubase 10.5.20 Absolute 4 ASUS X99 i7-5960X 3GHz Win10 pro64 16GB, os is ssd, audio is ssd, 2 cascaded silver thunderbolt Quad Apollo's Console 2.0 v9.11.0 11-06-2019 build 65970 w80 UAD plugins.

Return to “VST Instruments and Virtual Effects (general)”