Time to get serious about guitar

Hi guys,

Wanted to share a resource with you, in case anybody’s interested.

Some of you will be aware that I had spinal surgery a couple of years ago, and that the recuperation has been less-than spectacular, which has seriously impacted my singing. I’m very, very slowly getting to the point where I feel like I can open the taps in anger, but I’m also fairly aware that I’ll never be as good as I was, simply because I’m fairly constantly in pain and, while the pain isn’t a problem in general terms, my autonomic responses while singing cause me some problems.

In that light, I decided it was possibly time to start taking the guitar a bit more seriously. I’ve played since I was about three years old, but have never really bothered seeing it as anything other than a way of accompanying myself while singing, and indeed I only ever bothered learning to play a bit of lead for professional reasons, so never worked very hard at it, I simply learned pieces, and gathered a few bits of trick bag stuff for improv on stage.

For the last four years, I’ve been producing for a jazz outfit fronted by a virtuoso saxophonist, but I’ve pretty much just leaned on my ear, which has been sufficient.

Now, though, and coupled with the fact that I’ve decided to take the guitar more seriously, I’ve started learning jazz, and I’ve come across a tutor who’s absolutely brilliant. I’m learning most of the theory from the sax player I’m working with, but this guy has lots of good stuff that really opens up the instrument, regardless of whether what you’re interested in playing is jazz.

Anyhoo, I thought somebody might be interested. His name is Marc, and his website can be found at Jazz Guitar Lessons.

He also has a Youtube channel at, funnily enough, Youtube.

If anybody’s interested, it has my recommendation.

Thanks, Reymobius, first, wishing you best on spinal injury; second, the guitar pages are much appreciated. Been thinking myself about shoring up the underpinnings to take it to a higher level, rather than fumble around on my own, and this site looks very promising.

Man, that’s bad! I kind of think I’ve heard about it but not that the spinal thing and all that followed was that bad. Horrible!!! I wish I had kept up my magical finger snapping skills but I haven’t. You know, I don’t know what to say but anyways … I hope it gets better.

And for the guitar stuff, I also found this guy, I think it was last autumn. Great stuff but I’ve only watched his Youtube video uploads when they arrive. He knows a thing or two about guitaring! :sunglasses:

Ah, it’s all good, mate. It’s fairly common for singers to have back problems. in any event, I don’t really think of myself as a singer any more. I still deliver parts for the few remaining clients I have, but the studio’s really my instrument now. Your comments are appreciated, nonetheless.

And for the guitar stuff, I also found this guy, I think it was last autumn. Great stuff but I’ve only watched his Youtube video uploads when they arrive. He knows a thing or two about guitaring! > :sunglasses:

He does that!

I had a blinding idea last night while cogitating. I have a ratty old acoustic here that hardly gets played. I’m a much better guitarist than I am a keyboard player, but I never have to think about where to find a note on the keyboard but, because I’ve never taken the guitar that seriously, I can’t say the same of the fretboard. I’ve decided to get some black and white stickers to put on the fretboard of the crap guitar and use that for interval and scale exercises, white sticker for natural notes and black for accidentals… I should quite easily be able to internalise the entire fretboard without paying any attention to it at all, simply from the grouping of the black keys.

What do you think?