(Mac users) WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

Do NOT! repeat NOT!!! install the 1.7.9 update. It may destroy your studio!

After installing the 1.7.9 update, the driver no longer shows up in the “Audio MIDI Setup” and the interface is thus unusable. Neither can the “Yamaha Steinberg FW Control Panel” be launched!

The 1.7.9 update seriously messes up your system. Removing the 1.7.9 update and reinstalling v1.7.8, which worked perfectly (and still do on my secondary testdrive, that never saw the 1.7.9 update), doesn’t fix the problem.

I expect Steinberg to fix this catastrophic issue immediately. Destroying your customers studios is a very bad business strategy.

Yes, I am furious. Before installing the 1.7.9 update, I had a perfectly working recording studio. Afterwards, what I am left with is thousands of Euros with of useless hardware and software! I hold Steinberg solely responsible for this!

UPDATE!
Not only has the update destroyed my ability to use the audio interface. I have also found out that iTunes will no longer start!

Still no response from Steinberg. Not a peep either here at the forum or from the “support”. What will it take for Steinberg to accept responsibility for destroying their customers computer systems?

For Info.

Installed the latest Tools for MR on my iMac running Mojave and it shows ok (Yamaha Steinberg FW) in Macs Audio/Midi set up here. Installed this in two steps uninstalling old / rebooting and installing new / rebooting.

So the problem in your set up possibly something else?

Mind you that said
I still don’t get any indication of a version 1.79 showing anywhere after install.
The MR Editor shows v1.6.6
The FW control panel shows v1.75
The MR Editor under Setup shows under Sweet Spot Morphing Ch Strip
Version Boot v1.00
Main V1.10
IEEE 1394 v1.02

Although my understanding is the latter item has never shown correct version data.
So where after install do we find the version number v1.79 which it tells us at install point?

David

No matter what causes the issue with 1.7.9. The worst thing is that I can’t get my studio back, even after removing 1.7.9 and reinstalling 1.7.8! The 1.7.9 installer clearly does something to mess up the OS, so that neither version can be used! Again, note that 1.7.8 still works on the secondary testdrive (running the exact same version of the OS: 10.14.5), that never saw the 1.7.9 update! And the drivers worked on my main drive before the update was applied.

This is clear evidence that the 1.7.9 installer destroys Steinbergs customers systems. Just as efficiently as any malware would!

Macken, when you start the updated TOOLS for MR816 for the first time, there should have been a message to open the ‘Security & Privacy’ page in System Preferences. As soon as ‘Security & Privacy’ opens, click the the ‘Allow’ button.

You can also have a look at this article which also deals with the enforced security settings in macOS and where to look for the settings.

If you get messages like “Yamaha Steinberg FW Control Panel” is not optimized…" etc. clicking on “OK” should be sufficient.
These are just messages to make customers aware that Mojave is the last OS to support 32-bit applications.

Dear Ed. Please, I’m no newbie. I’ve been a Cubase user for 30 years! Of cause I’ve done all the obvious things to try to solve the problem.

If you wish to come up with excuses, please, explain this: I had two installs of v1.7.8 (one on my main SSD and on a secondary HD). Both worked perfectly.

After updating the install on the SSD, the MR816 does no longer work. It is not even recognised by the computer at all!

After removing v1.7.9 (using the supplied scripts) and reinstalling v1.7.8, the latter still no longer works. The 1.7.8 install on my secondary drive (that was never updated to v1.7.9) still works as always.

Can you really come up with any feasible explanation other than that v1.7.9 has messed up my primary SSD? It would be very interesting to hear that, in that case.

With regard to the 32-bit excuse. Last TOOLS for MR version 1.7.9 for macOS released - Legacy Steinberg Hardware - Steinberg Forums Your customers does not agree with you. Save the MR816 interface. - Legacy Steinberg Hardware - Steinberg Forums .

Dear Macken. Please, how should I know what has been done and what would still be left to try? :wink: I cannot explain why this happens on your system as I cannot reproduce it here and others like Dave in this thread have been successfully updated the driver software.

That the MR816 may not be recognized is actually a known issue (just like with other interfaces) IF the installation hasn’t been made properly.
Have you followed these steps now that the MR816 is not recognized?

1. Start TOOLS for MR816
  2. You will be prompted to open the ‘Security & Privacy’ page in System Preferences.
  3. As soon as ‘Security & Privacy’ opens, click the the ‘Allow’ button.
  4. Complete the installation.

Is macOS requesting to open the security & privacy pane at all during the installation progress bar part? That is a requirement for it all to work. Do not click on “Okay” but open the Security page instead.
On the Security window that comes up, click on the lock at the bottom, enter your password, and allow software from Yamaha to be installed.
Continue with the installation.

Well, I’ve done yet another test. I’ve even done steps that you’ve left out but the InstallationGuide instructs me to do.

1. I started by removing the old installation by running the “Uninstall Steinberg MR Editor”, Uninstall Steinberg MR Extension" and “Uninstall Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver” apps. I then turned off the MR816 and restarted the computer.

2. I ran the “TOOLS for MR V1.7.8.pkg” installer package and followed the instructions. After the boot sequence completed, I turned on the MR816 (I’ve tried with turning it on both before the boot sequence starts and after it completed.

3. No such prompt was displayed!

4. I manually opened Systems Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Accessibility. The only thing that shows up under “Allow apps below to control you computer” that has anything to do with Yamaha/Steinberg is “Yamaha Steinberg FW Control Panel”.

By the way, there is no “Okay” button in the “Security & Privacy” pane. Neither is there any "Allow software from Yamaha to be installed. The only options available are “Allow apps downloaded from:” “App Store” and “App Store and identified developers”. There used to be an “any” option, but that has been removed.

I also question the order of events in your description. What’s the point of opening “TOOLS for MR”, opening the Security & Privacy and then continue the installation. Steinberg is an identified developer, so that should not be necessary. Furthermore, Mojave works like this: If Steinberg were not an identified developer, I would be met with a message that the application can not be opened by double clicking and that I need to open it with the “Open” command in the context menu. This happens quite frequently with installers from smaller shareware developers.

It’s also obvious that there is no problem with the security settings. I’ve installed the v1.7.8 driver twice on the same computer and OS, without any hassle (with the “App Store and identified developers” setting. It’s only the install that has had the v1.7.9 update applied that is damaged.

If you and/or the programmers are unable to figure out what might be the cause of the damage, I request that you supply me with the following:

1. A list and the paths to every single file that is installed with the “TOOLS for MR V1.7.9.pkg” installer package.
  2. A list of every single setting that is in any way affected by the “TOOLS for MR V1.7.9.pkg” installer package.

I strongly suspect that the “Uninstall…” applications don’t work properly and this seems to be the only way to confirm or rule that out. Also note that this isn’t the first time I’ve been having problems with the audio drivers and been ignored by the Steinberg support.

Macken, Mojave is an absolute PITA when it comes to security (I’ve dealt with S*** from it myself).

If the message in the Privacy and Security panel isn’t showing up AND the driver for your interface isn’t showing up in the Accessibility section under the Privacy tab, you will have to manually add it yourself. The problem is I can’t tell you where to search for it specifically because I don’t use a Steinberg interface, but had a similar problem with my UA Apollo under Mojave which was solved when I manually added the UA Mixer Engine in the Accessibility section, which is what the OS should have done automatically had it given me a message to allow it to do it, but it didn’t, and it seems that that is also the case with your system.

This is also probably the cause because as you mentioned, reinstalling the previous driver does not work anymore, meaning Mojave is blocking it and you most likely have to manually add it yourself.

Furthermore, Universal Audio is also an identified developer, yet as I mentioned, I also had a hard time with trying to make Mojave accept it automatically.

I don’t think you fully understand how bad the implementation of security features has been done with Mojave. There is no “identified developer” anymore, the title is just for esthetics now. There’s either appstore or good luck trying to figure s*** out. I literally had to allow Logic Pro X in the Security panel. Logic, which is signed by Apple itself and downloaded from the App Store. The security system in Mojave is retarded. And to clarify, your 30 year experience with Cubase has nothing to do here, this is purely a macOS Mojave issue and one that is barely one year old in the audio world.

I get that you’re frustrated, and you have every right to be, but try to calm down and solve the issue logically. The fact that others have updated successfully means that the issue is most probably directly related to your system, and the BIGGEST culprit in Mojave is the Security barrier. Hope this helps.

Thanx Jcalla27. Let’s hope that Ed can come up with the information about where to find the driver.

I still think it’s a shame that a new member is required to come up with a suggestion for a possible solution. This is information that Steinberg and/or the support should have been able to provide immediately!

Well, Ed. Do you have any intension to supply the requested information? Or are your really sure that you want to force me to take legal action against Steinberg, in order to make Steinberg accept responsibility for it’s actions and to respect the licence agreements Steinberg has entered into?

Note that, if the latter is the case, other improper actions (such as requesting customers to install known malware, in order to get support) will be brought to the fore.

Steinberg should really take a hard look at it’s appalling customer support!

Really!!! The tone of this thread is awful…

I agree. But so is having your studio ruined by a manufacturer that acknowledges no responsibility what so ever!

Macken, as you have sent a support ticket on this as well, I have answered in there, requesting additional information.

Which manufacturer do you refer too!? Apple, Steinberg, any of the other makers of the apps on your system.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
Seriously my friend, if your not doing regular backups, prior to any and all updates, now’s a good time to start. Best lesson I ever learned, after a catastrophic software glitch many years ago, which not only took out my system but corrupted a whole drive of music I’d poured my heart into. Never again… PC’s and Macs and their OS’s can misbehave, expect them to fail occasionally for whole host of unfathomable reasons where answers as to why, may never come. 15 mins to load an imaged backup, and you’re up and running again.

FWIW Ed has clearly been accommodating given the vibe in this thread. Wishing the best of luck to you moving forward :slight_smile:

Steinberg, of cause! Do you really need to ask. It is Steinberg who produced and distributed the software that has wrecked ability to use my computer for audio related purposes (which is the core purpose for my audio recording studio). Thus none but Steinberg can be held responsible for Steinbergs actions (or lack thereof).

Whether I’ve backed up my hard-drive or not bears absolutely no relevance to the issue in question. It does not absolve Steinberg from responsibility for it’s actions. Furthermore, such backups would be of little to no use in this case.

You seem to have a strange definition of the word “accommodating”. Ignoring the issue and refusing to supply the necessary information required to try to solve the issue can hardly be considered being “accommodating”, can it? Anyhow, what you, me or anyone else thinks on this forum is inconsequential. What a court of law decides (if Steinberg wishes to drive the issue that far) is the only opinion that really matter.

As I said, wishing you the best of luck moving forward…