MIDI parts on multiple tracks as one polyphonic staff

In the manual (“Cubase_Pro_Score_10_5_Score_Layout_and_Printing_en”) we can read the following:
Parts on different tracks are shown on different staves. (page 9)

Can parts on multiple tracks be shown on a single polyphonic staff (single/split)?

From the developer himself:

But, different articulations for different instruments on the same staff: No it’s not possible!
This one is a major issue that needs to be addressed in Cubase score.

Thank you for the quick reply, but I must say you’re wrong when you say that one can’t have different articulations for different instruments on the same staff.

Watch this video I’ve made:

I already did what Michael Michaelis said, but It’s a pain. Using lanes helps a bit.

The black MIDI parts (that can be seen in the picture above) contain only the CC’s for the corresponding instrument in the sampler (first black part is for the 1st instrument - “a” articulations; and the second black part is for the 2nd instrument - “b” articulations). This way, I can control the expression (cc.1, cc7, etc) of the 1st and 2nd instrument, individually.
Also, if you use a separate track for the cc’s, you can set a track delay so that a CC point can have the same position as the note that a particular instrument is assigned to it. That’s neat neat neat!

I managed to use the Project Logical Editor to make macros that are assigned to an OSC button on my tablet. So, when I hit the Oboes button, the Key Editor opens like this:

Maybe I said more than I should’ve. Sorry. That’s what you get if you reply to my posts :laughing:

Also, did you know that your avatar picture is from Bach’s 13th invention?

I would have loved to be wrong.

I watched your video.
You are just lucky and/or you are cheating :smiley:

First, all your articulations in this video are Attributes. A pizzicato is not used as articulation per note normally. It should be a Direction.
Then, it all depends on your configuration: the way you have built your Expression Maps or your sampler and instruments configuration.
For instance, in your example, you could have set the MIDI channel in your expression map for pizz. or tremolo or staccato etc. That way it would work but, this is what I call cheating, because it is unsound.

The way it should work is that articulations (Directions and Attributes) should send data to the channel they belong to. And this is not the case unfortunately.
Same problem for Dynamics.

All expression data are always send to MIDI channel 1 whether articulations are in voice/channel 1, 2, 3, … and this is the problem.
You can easily check in MIDI Monitor.

I use OSC too. What I really would like is commands in Generic remote to select articulations defined in Expression Maps!

And you didn’t say too much to my taste, even not enough :wink:

And as for my avatar, I must say you have risen in my esteem! :open_mouth:
Absolutely! and it’s Bach’s manuscript (I used to play it). My admiration of Bach is beyond imagination.
(Your video is very cute)

You are just lucky and/or you are cheating > :smiley:

This makes me think about that scene in “Bruce Almighty” (2003) where Bruce, after receiving God’s powers, starts the engine of his car by saying “Start!” [engine starts], then commenting: “That was lucky”, trying to calm himself down.

First, all your articulations in this video are Attributes. A pizzicato is not used as articulation per note normally. It should be a Direction.

→ Well, if you create direction articulations (for pizz. and others), then they don’t appear in the info line articulation drop-down menu. That’s one of the reasons I made them all attributes.
→ Another reason is that I don’t like the Score Editor (or any other notation software) to limit my notation possibilities. Actually, I don’t want articulations to influence how my score looks. That’s why I have this option activated:
Score Settings > Notation Style > Project > Miscellaneous > Hide Expression Map Symbols

Then, it all depends on your configuration: the way you have built your Expression Maps or your sampler and instruments configuration.
For instance, in your example, you could have set the MIDI channel in your expression map for pizz. or tremolo or staccato etc. That way it would work but, this is what I call cheating, because it is unsound.

This is how I’ve built my articulations:

MIDI Channel 5 is for the first instrument;
MIDI Channel 6 is for the second instrument.
Both instruments/patches in the multitimbral sampler (Kontakt 6) have key switches (group start on key…).

The way it should work is that articulations (Directions and Attributes) should send data to the channel they belong to. And this is not the case unfortunately.
Same problem for Dynamics.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

All expression data are always send to MIDI channel 1 whether articulations are in voice/channel 1, 2, 3, … and this is the problem.
You can easily check in MIDI Monitor.

That’s why I use separate tracks for sending expression data to the channels 5 and 6 (and others). Actually, I find it very useful, because I can make an instrument have the same expression as another, just by copying the part that contains only the CC data to the corresponding expresssion track. Of course, this requires that both instruments respond to the same CC’s.

I use OSC too. What I really would like is commands in Generic remote to select articulations defined in Expression Maps!

You and me both.
This OSC? (below)

And you didn’t say too much to my taste, even not enough > :wink:

I’m glad to “hear” this.

And as for my avatar, I must say you have risen in my esteem! > :open_mouth:
Absolutely! and it’s Bach’s manuscript (I used to play it)

Also glad.

My admiration of Bach is beyond imagination.

We shouldn’t admire composers, but their music. But I guess this is exactly what you mean when you say that your admiration of Bach is beyond imagination. Right?

(Your video is very cute)

Is this a “last but not least” line? I just wanna sleep well tonight. :laughing: