Why is this simple unit so expensive?

All about Steinberg's Advanced Integration Controller CC121.
Robingardner

Why is this simple unit so expensive?

Post by Robingardner »

Hi Steinberg!

I'm wondering since this unit offers very little true change and its almost like 10 years old, etc. Why is it still so expensive? Isn't it by time to lower its price quite a fair amount? Like half it at least... It goes for like 400 Euro as of now, that's almost as expensive as Cubase Pro 10 that goes for about 550 Euro. And it has many counterpartsm like the Presonus Faderport (different versions) that goes for like 200 Euros...

//Many regards from Robin Gardner in Stockholm, Sweden.
Computer, OS, RAM & Hdd: Acer (Predator Orion 5000) fulltower computer. Win10 Home, 64-bit. Intel core i-7 8700K, 16GB RAM. 256 GB SSD, internal HDD with one TB, tons of USB 2/3, etc.
Audio Interface: Steinberg UR824
DAW: Cubase Pro 10
Extra Stuff:
Behringer Ultragain ADAT 8200 connected to the UR824, two external HDD's via USB with a total of 3 TB storage, AKAI MPK225 Midi controller, Softube Console One mkii, tons of plugins/VST's from Waves, Softube, ValhallaDSP, IK Multimedia, Native Instruments, Toontrack, etc.

shanabit

Re: Why is this simple unit so expensive?

Post by shanabit »

1. The BIGGER question is why is this unit NOT PROPERLY SUPPORTED with updates, improved features, user requests etc.

2. It is WAY overpriced for what it does

3. I wouldn't buy one now

Tommy-boy

Post by Tommy-boy »

All of that is true. However, I still really like mine. I'm on C8 and I love it. Yes, it could be better supported. Is still a great single channel controller.

Tom

Well Fed

Post by Well Fed »

I agree it should be updated and cheaper, but I do love mine...

spyder

Post by spyder »

I love mine too. Though I would love it lots more if the LED's could be dimmed!
Win 10 64 bit, Cubase 10.5 Wavelab Elements 10.0.10, CC121, RME FF800, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, EWSO, SupDr2, CH, Pianoteq, 8dio, Ozone, Ethera

ARNK

Post by ARNK »

They should make a higher quality 2020 control for less.
"Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day."

ARNK

Post by ARNK »

It's bizarre how little in the way of controllres there are. I've been looking at the Icon Nano One as a replacement due to the cost of the CC121 which I'd obviously prefer. I hear PreSonus has many a issue with Cubase.
"Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day."

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde »

Basically the CC121 is a good controller and works well, it is well build.
The Cubase control you have is very ok.
The other side steiny (to my offense) has lost touch with it.
And does not do any good updates and does not listen to users in this forum that much.
Hope it will be better to listen to users and solve their needs.
I can say it is not the hardware. That is very good.
I7 8core 16tread 32gb Aopen Board, SSD Samsung. C10,W10,Halion6,Groove Agent5,etc.
Running on 8ms Latency with a Soundblaster XFi Pro. Yamaha MW12c USB mixer.
Behringer TRUTH B2031A active studiomonitors. Sony MDR-V900 Headphones.
Steinberg CC121 Controller. Mackie Control Pro.

Denis van der Velde
http://www.curioza.com
AAMS Auto Audio Mastering System for Windows

HarrySound

Post by HarrySound »

It would be good if Steiny just released a new controller with a lot more stuff on it and actually supported it....

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude »

HarrySound wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:49 pm
It would be good if Steiny just released a new controller with a lot more stuff on it and actually supported it....
The "actually supported it" bit is why so many of us won't go anywhere near Steinberg hardware. Too many of their lines get little to no forum support or dropped entirely. Something many of us were hoping would be the reverse when Yamaha took the reigns.
Comps+OS: PC's (Win 10 1903) - Mac Pro (Catalina) - MacBook Pro (Moave) I Nuendo 10 | Cubase Pro 10 I Wavelab 9.5 Pro

HarrySound

Post by HarrySound »

I don’t understand why now with 10.5 it doesn’t work. Up to Cubase 10 it was absolutely fine. I feel like they must have gone out of their way to make it not work. Whats the big conflict?
I have to say I’ve been using the cc121 so many years I can’t not press the buttons expecting something to happen, and obviously nothing does happen.

Hopefully it’ll be sorted by March.

spyder

Post by spyder »

Works fine for me on 10.5. Make sure you re-input the settings as updates of Cubase lose them!
Win 10 64 bit, Cubase 10.5 Wavelab Elements 10.0.10, CC121, RME FF800, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, EWSO, SupDr2, CH, Pianoteq, 8dio, Ozone, Ethera

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

We'll release an update for better Cubase 10.5 and Catalina compatibility later this month.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

Jorge Ruiz

Post by Jorge Ruiz »

Ed Doll wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:16 am
We'll release an update for better Cubase 10.5 and Catalina compatibility later this month.
Thanks, those are great news. While you are at it, it would be also very nice if you could add a shortcut or mode to control the Low Pass, High Pass and Pre Gain EQ with the unit.
PC i7 5960x 8 cores | 16 GB RAM | MSI X99A SLI Plus | Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Focusrite Clarett OctoPre | Behringer ADA8200 | Steinberg CC121 | Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 10 | Komplete 12 | Waves | Soundtoys | Oberheim Matrix 1000 | IK UNO Synth | Korg TR-Rack | Alesis S4 Plus | Zoom 9010 | Roland GP-8

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

Not sure if this will be part of the update as I haven't received the update yet.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

JSL

Post by JSL »

Maybe its expensive and outdated, but still it do its job very well. Nobody is forced to buy it and there is lot of cheap MCU protocol supported devices with similar functionality (except AI button). Looking forward to fw update.
Jorge Ruiz wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:48 am
Ed Doll wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:16 am
Thanks, those are great news. While you are at it, it would be also very nice if you could add a shortcut or mode to control the Low Pass, High Pass and Pre Gain EQ with the unit.
- You can make QC presset and use CC121 preset to controll it - It works very well, only phase switch is not possible to be controll any way externaly :(
WS: HP Z4 G4, Intel Core i7-9800x, 32 GB RAM
SW: Win 10, Cubase Pro 10.5, SpectraLayers Pro 6, Wavelab Pro 10, Absolute 4, Iconica Opus
HW: CC121, Maschine MKIII, UR44, Motu Micro Lite and analog synths and stuff

Return to “Steinberg CC121”