Stagger on two alternating tracks - Bug?

Post questions and find answers on our latest WaveLab releases here.
bob99

Re: Stagger on two alternating tracks - Bug?

Post by bob99 »

necromorbus wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:09 pm

Further experimentation:
"ar.wav" = 4 tracks
"rd.wav" = 2 tracks
"de.wav" = 2 tracks
"ea.wav" = 2 tracks
"al.wav" = 4 tracks
"at.wav" = 2 tracks
"el.wav" = 5 tracks
"et.wav" = 2 tracks
"e.wav" = 2 tracks
"r.wav" = 4 tracks (shoutout to Justin)
"er.wav" = 5 tracks
"erer.wav" = 5
l. and r. consistently fail in your list (left and right?), but it doesn't necessarily carry over into longer words ending in l and r.

necromorbus

Post by necromorbus »

bob99 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:07 am
l. and r. consistently fail in your list (left and right?), but it doesn't necessarily carry over into longer words ending in l and r.
It does (check the examples in the paragraph before what you quoted) but I didn't figure out the pattern for it. But since you now mentioned it, I looked at the files that I was experimenting with. The only one that ends with l or r is "Wolves of Ardeal.wav", the very one I had problems with. So, a bit more experimentation:

* Still excluding "Wolves of Ardeal" for now.
* I have one file called "Bleak Prismatic World.wav". Changed it to "Bleak Prismatic Worldl.wav" et voila! Now I get four tracks. Changed it to "Bleak Prismatic Worldr.wav". Same thing, four tracks. Change it back to the original name=back to the correct 2 tracks.
* Including "Wolves of Ardeal.wav" again but changed the name to "Wolves of Ardea.wav". There it is, 2 tracks. Changed it to "Wolves of Arear.wav" and I get 3 tracks.

So "l" or "r" at the end makes the difference.

About the naming and copying text in, I actually encountered something like that the other day where a band had an "Ê" in their band name, which I copied into the meta-data and got something else in the actual mp3 files. I didn't try to actually type it in rather than copy, I should try that.
Cubase 10.5.20 | Wavelab 10 | Win10 64 bit | Intel Core i5 4670K | 8Gb RAM | SSL MadiXtreme64 | SSL Alphalink AX

http://www.nbs.audio

bob99

Post by bob99 »

necromorbus wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:24 am

* I have one file called "Bleak Prismatic World.wav". Changed it to "Bleak Prismatic Worldl.wav" et voila! Now I get four tracks. Changed it to "Bleak Prismatic Worldr.wav". Same thing, four tracks. Change it back to the original name=back to the correct 2 tracks.
* Including "Wolves of Ardeal.wav" again but changed the name to "Wolves of Ardea.wav". There it is, 2 tracks. Changed it to "Wolves of Arear.wav" and I get 3 tracks.

So "l" or "r" at the end makes the difference.
Right, in those cases and some other cases, but I'm pretty sure I tried it with some other longer titles ending in l or r (sorry can't remember them offhand), and they came out ok, so I thought it was more complicated than just any title ending in l or r. Besides, it probably would have happened much more often if it was just a case of all titles ending in l or r.

necromorbus

Post by necromorbus »

Putting it to the test now. Using different sets of files, randomly changing names and adding in r or l as the last letter. In every case so far, the result is multiple extra tracks.

EDIT: Also, in file sets that have one or more files ending with l and/or r, I get extra tracks, and renaming the files removing the l and/or r consistently makes it work as it should.
Cubase 10.5.20 | Wavelab 10 | Win10 64 bit | Intel Core i5 4670K | 8Gb RAM | SSL MadiXtreme64 | SSL Alphalink AX

bob99

Post by bob99 »

necromorbus wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:57 pm
Putting it to the test now. Using different sets of files, randomly changing names and adding in r or l as the last letter. In every case so far, the result is multiple extra tracks.
What if you find another project that has a filename that already ends in l or r, so you're not changing names to add or remove l and r?

necromorbus

Post by necromorbus »

bob99 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:02 pm
necromorbus wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:57 pm
What if you find another project that has a filename that already ends in l or r, so you're not changing names to add or remove l and r?
That's what I did. They come up on multiple tracks.

bob99

Post by bob99 »

necromorbus wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:14 pm
That's what I did. They come up on multiple tracks.
I guess you're right. I can't reproduce what I was talking about, so I guess the problem is any filenames that end in l or r, unless somebody finds otherwise.

Justin P

Post by Justin P »

So crazy that in my 10 years of using WaveLab, this only happened once and it was not long after the original post. Either it's a new bug, or necromorbus found a needle in a haystack.

My takeaway here is that if it ever happens again, play with the file naming, or deal with reorganizing the files on two tracks as intended.

Hopefully when PG has time he can look into the true cause of it.
https://www.mysteryroommastering.com/https://www.justincarlperkins.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaveLab/

iMac Pro 3.0GHz 10-Core • 64GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6
Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (6-Core) • 32GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6

RME AES HDSPe, MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock USB, Grace m905, Grace m900

Return to “WaveLab Pro 10 | WaveLab Elements 10”