Problems with the latest Windows 10 update

Tom

I still do not know what version of Win 10 you are running - would be good to know for future issues.

VP

He said above that the recent 2004 (the code means: [20]20, April) update caused the problem.

Paul

all fine here with RME card

I did lose a handful of serial number type authentications on plugins - and EuControl is a bit funky at start up but basically all good.

Good to hear but you may want to update your eLicenser to the most current version if you have not done so.

.2269 has been out for a while …

No - meant Pro or Home or Enterprise etc etc. Dependent on version - there are numerous ways to deal with aggressive update cadences

VP

Windows 10 Pro. Updated from Windows 7 Pro about a year ago. Not a fresh install (too many programs to reinstall). Hope that answers your question.

The in-place upgrade may be contributing to many of your issues that you have posted about. You and I have many of the same hardware characteristics yet your rig seems to display all sorts of oddball issues every few months.

You should really consider doing a bare metal clean install. Guarantee the time it would take you to rebuild is exponentially less than it takes me and your actual oddball issue count would dwindle to nothing.

You also mention too many programs to install as a deterrent to a clean install. There is no way you have more to reinstall than me - but I would never consider an in-place upgrade for any of the three DAWS I use here - especially one over top of WIndows 7.

A clean Win 10 install to a new SSD is worth the effort and will save you countless troubleshooting hours and much more stability.

Cheers!

VP

Thanks, I am sure you are correct. Maybe when I have some down time I can do this. I do not own a copy of Windows 10 Pro. I simply upgraded my Windows 7 Pro copy to Windows 10 so I have nothing to install from. Ideas? Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Be safe and STAY HEALTHY!!!

if you signed in with your microsoft account it will have a digital licence in your microsoft account (look online) linked back to your pc (check it in the ‘about’ section in the settings app) - means if you reinstall you keep your licence

(PS - not wavelab ? best posting this in the proper forum)

Alternatively you could try this link to create media for installing Windows 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

FYI I actually upgraded from a Windows 7 system with no issues… but that was some time ago.

I wouldn’t recommend upgrading to W10 2004 right now, in my opinion best to hold off until the last moment for that.

Tom

Take a run through this:

Pay specific attention to the section on the Media Creation Tool OR Rufus - either will handle all the tasks to either get you a USB of the latest files Or an ISO file (My preference) directly from Microsoft.

And ensure that your machine is correct activated (assuming its all good since you updated overtop of Windows 7). Since you are installing to the same machine - a clean Win 10 install will activate automatically.

Let us know how it goes if/when you get around to it.

Cheers

VP

Only thing that i’ve noticed since the Windows 10 updated is that i lost one of my favorite plugins. The URS Saturation plugin. It is a 32bit plugin, but i had it bridged with jbridge. Tried re-installing. Install worked ok in Windows, but the plugin wants to install its own iLOK driver in DOS. The computer crashes at the DELL logo at bootup everytime. Then i have to go through the repair computer routine. Bummer. i already have the latest iLOK driver installed. But the plugin does not recognize this. Totally baffled. One of my best plugins. If anyone has experienced this also, it would be highly appreciated to know if and how you got the plugin to install. The people at URS are not good at giving help. The plugin worked fine until the Windows update. Also, i cannot rollback to the prior Windows 10 Pro version, because i also installed a new SSD. Thanks all.

One of the problems I am having after the latest update is that my Dymo label printers no longer are recognized and I cannot print to them. (maybe something in the USB drivers???) Also my computer seems to not like my external hard drive that I use for archiving and I have to unplug it for the computer to boot sometimes (but not all the time) . A couple of plugins also do not seem to be happy with the latest windows update and either open very slowly or freeze. I have a really big transfer project in house right now so I cannot do a fresh windows 10 install but I guess it is time when I have the time. Thanks for all the help!!!

FWIW in my opinion a fresh install may not provide a solution to the problems you describe. In other words, the external drive and the plugin you mention may simply no longer be compatible and need to be updated or have updated drivers installed, regardless of if you do a fresh W10 install or not. As you know, unfortunately software and hardware don’t remain compatible forever while an OS is continually updated.

There was a nasty bug in the June 2020 cumulative update that botched a lot of printing. It cause my HP LaserJet print queue to simply hang everytime I try to print something. The fix is in this update:

Windows 10 v 1909

Windows 10 v 2004

"Updates an issue that might prevent certain printers from printing, generate print errors, or cause apps and print spoolers to close unexpectedly. "

As soon as I applied this on my v1909 builds - my printers were fine.

Cheers

VP

No issues here.

There is no way to stop windows 10 to download the updates.

Sure just turn off auto updates. Windows will still download the update but will not update itself until the user tells it to. See How to stop automatic updates on Windows 10 | Windows Central

Lots more info on the WWW. I know all this now, I did not know it a week ago. Bummer

Tom

Note that most of those methods are simply “delaying” updates - not disabling. And for Windows 10 v2004 - those panels and the controls available to the user has changed - some items that were quite handy for deferring updates are now gone. See here:

The only way that I have found to completely ensure a machine is never updated - like ever - is to set up WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) and manually manage each and every update that is ever released - including the big feature updates (like Win 10 v1909->v2004). Over here - I could literally run on a version of Windows 10 forever without ever applying an update. This setup is more for broad computer management where I want top ensure nothing slips in undetected.

Of course - you could also shut down the Windows Update service on the PC - but that will quickly become a battle between you and Microsoft. A workstation needs to get updates over it’s serviceable lifespan - but I agree that the big “feature” updates should be treated differently.

Over here - when I am good and ready to move to a “big” feature update - I always do them manually - I never allow these big giant complete OS changeouts (like a v1909->v2004) to upgrade in place. There are too many weird scenarios that end causing pain later.

A fresh OS install has always served me well.

Cheers

VP