Steinberg UR816C Hi-Z inputs?

This section is about Steinberg's UR-C audio interfaces product range
Raumersche

Steinberg UR816C Hi-Z inputs?

Post by Raumersche »

I am a complete newbie to audio interfaces - so this may be a stupid question...

I have Cubase Pro 10.5 running on Windows 10 PC. I have used solely VSTs for years, but recently I purchased a few hardware mono synths - so now I need an audio interface. Being new to this I am considering a UR816C because it should integrate nicely with Cubase without me frying my brain with millions of settings I don't understand.

The thing is, I am keen for my audio interface to to have spare inputs for future expansion. I need 6 inputs for my existing kit - so that would just leave the 2 Hi-Z inputs on the front panel unused. Would I be able to use these for future hardware synths? Is it possible to "switch off" the Hi-Z feature in the device's software? Could I just use the pad button and keep volume low? I have looked at various forums where people are asking if Hi-Z inputs can be used for synths but there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

I know I can expand via ADAT to add more inputs, but money is tight so I want to get the maximum bang for my buck with my first device. If using these inputs is not possible then I may as well save a chunk of cash and get something like the Behringer UMC1820 instead - but then I lose the integration with Cubase advantage....

What do you think?

ca-booter

Re: Steinberg UR816C Hi-Z inputs?

Post by ca-booter »

I have the UR816C and did a short test just now using my Roland JV1010.
Plugged an unbalanced jack from its output into input 3 on the URC and also in input 2 (the Hi-Z), they sound exactly the same, no "PAD" used on both inputs.
And no, you cannot switch off anything on the Hi-Z inputs. I believe its a matter of unbalanced versus balanced cable use (correct me if I'm wrong).
For extra 8 inputs I have a Behringer ADA8200 which sounds great (to my ears just as good as the URC) and is a cheap extension if needed.
PC ASUS i7-2600 3,4Ghz |Win10-Pro 1909 SSD | 16Gb DDR3 | ASUS R5230 graphics | Cubase Pro 10.5.20, user since Atari | Wavelab 10 EL | Absolute 3 | SuperiorDrummer3 | Yamaha-Steinberg N12 FW | Steinberg UR816C+Behringer ADA8200 | Behringer X-Touch One | M-Audio Axiom 61 | Fishman TriplePlay | Lexicon MX200, Strymon Volante, Art Pro VLA II, Art Pro Channel II, Klark Teknik: KT-2A, 1176-KT, 2* EQP-KT

Raumersche

Post by Raumersche »

Hi ca-booter. Thanks for checking that out! I kind of imagined that the Hi-Z inputs might boost the incoming audio too much, but it sounds like this is not the case. So maybe the UR816C is the unit for me...

ca-booter

Post by ca-booter »

You can always set the correct outputlevel on your synths.
PC ASUS i7-2600 3,4Ghz |Win10-Pro 1909 SSD | 16Gb DDR3 | ASUS R5230 graphics | Cubase Pro 10.5.20, user since Atari | Wavelab 10 EL | Absolute 3 | SuperiorDrummer3 | Yamaha-Steinberg N12 FW | Steinberg UR816C+Behringer ADA8200 | Behringer X-Touch One | M-Audio Axiom 61 | Fishman TriplePlay | Lexicon MX200, Strymon Volante, Art Pro VLA II, Art Pro Channel II, Klark Teknik: KT-2A, 1176-KT, 2* EQP-KT

Return to “Steinberg UR-C Series”