EUCON Update!

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Nuendo 10 can be posted here.
Keyplayer

Re: EUCON Update!

Post by Keyplayer »

Fredo wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:59 am
miguelnunes wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:37 pm

Wish Steinberg talked to Yamaha in order to create alternatives to the Avid S1 and S3 series, above that there’s already the Nuage, I would sell my S3 and dock in a blink of an eye.
Actually, from a economical point of view, it is very simple.
Creating a Yamaha S1 or S3 would cost as much as the Avid S1 or S3.
The features, and what the units can do, would be comparable.
So the result would be that they would be competing Avid with as 100% similar product.
If they would build an S1 or S3 which can do *more* and is better than the AVid S3/S1, then the unit would be much higher priced, and it would only work "better" with Steinberg products. So the marked is simply not big enough.
HTH
Fredo
That is EXACTLY what Avid is doing! They make their hardware "SORT OF" work for every DAW that isn't Pro Tools. :x So if Yamaha would offer us the exact opposite, a hardware product that works great for us without concern for Pro Tools, You're saying THAT market isn't big enough? :o

That makes no sense. Based on that logic, there shouldn't be Apple AND Microsoft, Mercedes AND Lexus, Iphone AND Galaxy or every cell phone provider in existence!
Nuendo 1.0 - 10 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i9 - 9900K CPU @ 3.60 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |

Phonetical

Post by Phonetical »

I remember remote controlling Apogee preamps via Maestro using a Euphonix MC Pro running Nuendo 5 all via Eucon. It was brilliant. This was when ProTools was still using 128 step Mackie protocols.

I can't imagine Yamaha/Steinberg can compete here, unfortunately. It was a bummer when Avid bought Euphonix.
iMac 3.2GHz I5 / 24GB 1600 MHz / OS 10.8.5 / N6.5.3 / Apogee Duet

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer »

Phonetical wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:02 pm
I remember remote controlling Apogee preamps via Maestro using a Euphonix MC Pro running Nuendo 5 all via Eucon. It was brilliant. This was when ProTools was still using 128 step Mackie protocols.

I can't imagine Yamaha/Steinberg can compete here, unfortunately. It was a bummer when Avid bought Euphonix.

EXACTLY!! Yamaha could crush Avid if they wanted to. They're the biggest Music (Instrument/Gear) Company in the world!!!
Nuendo 1.0 - 10 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i9 - 9900K CPU @ 3.60 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer »

miguelnunes wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:58 pm

....Just recently, avid came out with an update that finally addressed an old issue, the numeric value discrepancy between the controller hardware and Nuendo Soft faders, take a guess who they blamed for that long time bug?
I just tested this numeric value issue. I have the latest version of Eucon and the Avid Control App. THIS ISSUE REMAINS! THE CALIBRATION BETWEEN NUENDO AND THE ARTIST SERIES IS STILL OFF.

N10 EQ Mid. reads 2000 Avid EQ Mid reads 2010
N10 EQ Hi reads 12000 Avid EQ Hi reads 12,028
miguelnunes wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:58 pm

Also, I’ve been buggin Avid for a while now, they literally sell this Hardware as being full (?) Cubendo compatible, I’m sure you guys at Steinberg are aware of that.
This is what I'm talking about. They said the fixed the crash. They didn't. They said they fixed the Mixer Mirroring Issue. They didn't. The Control, Alt and Win Button features (new on S1) don't work in Nuendo. VCA spill ONLY works with PT (not that I care. Our Channel Expand feature kills that pitiful excuse for forward thinking)! WE NEED OUR OWN MID LEVEL HARDWARE.

PeterGx

Post by PeterGx »

Fredo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:48 pm

1. Steinberg developed the Eucon Protocol. On the software side and -in collaboration with Euphonix- on the hardware side.
Fredo
I'm not completely sure about that, but here are some details.

Euphonix originaly developed EuCon to connect System 5 audio mainframe to the control surface.
Later, EuCon device driver was developed for various DAW's. There were a couple of buttons on the surface to select the DAW in control (like in Avid S6). Ephonix developed Hybrid pilot software exactly for this purpose, to connect to other DAWs.

Before System 5 there was Euphonix CS3000. That system used network protocol but not EuCon.
I was in the market for a new studio console at that time, and this was one of the first, if not the first hybrid system on the market, very attractive. But it required a huge amount of power and it was very loud, and also too expensive.

I guess Steinberg, together with Euphonix, developed EuCon client adapter, which provided much better DAW control from the Euphonix hybrid channel strip than standard driver did. You did choose to install the adapter manually. Initially it was available to buy from Euphonix website.

Merging Technologies Pyramix also had its own Eucon client adapter, while other DAWs used standard EuCon driver, automaticaly installed with console software.

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo »

Keyplayer wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:07 pm

EXACTLY!! Yamaha could crush Avid if they wanted to. They're the biggest Music (Instrument/Gear) Company in the world!!!
You are forgetting the most important problem:
Yamaha is not allowed to use the EUCON protocol in their hardware.
So Yamaha would build a surface that might work perfectly with Cubendo, but will never work properly with Avid software.

Fredo

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo »

PeterGx wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:33 am

I'm not completely sure about that, but here are some details.
You might be correct about details and timeframe, but I know for a fact that Eucon was a close collaboration with Steinberg.
Martin Stahl worked for a few years in California on behalf of Steinberg.
His job was visiting the big industry studios and gathering information (what do the pro's want/need?) for future developments for Nuendo.
He spend half of his time @ Euphonix, Studying the Euphonix automation, and developing Eucon.
I remember a few meetings with Martin where he proposed & explained the blueprint of the Eucon protocol.
Another person who played an important role was Steve Tushar, he was the first one having an MC5, and first-hand tester for the collaboration between Euphonix & Steinberg.

Anyway, Avid did a brilliant move buying Euphonix, Marthin Stahl & Lars Baumann. (Who was the Nuendo product manager at that time)
Martin & Lars are the two people who designed the S6 and S3 for Avid ...

Fredo

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer »

Fredo wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:08 am
Keyplayer wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:07 pm

You are forgetting the most important problem:
Yamaha is not allowed to use the EUCON protocol in their hardware.
So Yamaha would build a surface that might work perfectly with Cubendo, but will never work properly with Avid software.

Fredo
Who cares if it works with Avid hardware? You're missing the point. Avid hardware DOESN'T WORK with OUR DAWS. We need hardware that does. We don't care if it's based on Eucon. In fact WE'D PREFER IT NOT TO HAVE ANY ASSOCIATION WITH EUCON! We want our own SB based platform for Cubase/Nuendo at an Artist Series/ S1 to S3 price range.

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

Well a S3 isn’t that much cheaper than a Nuage fader unit...
But then the fader unit is a bit to large really to compete with the smaller firm factor (although I really like the Nuage a de what It does).
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer »

ErikG wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:56 pm
Well a S3 isn’t that much cheaper than a Nuage fader unit...
But then the fader unit is a bit to large really to compete with the smaller firm factor (although I really like the Nuage a de what It does).

In the U.S. an S3 is $5,000.00. The Nuage Fader Unit is $12,000.00. That's more than twice as much! How much are Fader Units where you are? :?

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

I’m not allowed to say, but MSRP is not what it is sold at as far as I can tell.
11xNuendo, 5xPT

PeterGx

Post by PeterGx »

Fredo wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:18 am

You might be correct about details and timeframe, but I know for a fact that Eucon was a close collaboration with Steinberg.
Martin Stahl worked for a few years in California on behalf of Steinberg.

Fredo
Euphonix presented EuCon at AES 2006 in San Francicso.
The authors of that AES paper were 5 programming engineers and product development managers from Euphonix. Most of them remained with Avid when it bought Euphonix.

Nothing in that paper indicates that EuCon is a joint development of Euphonix and Steinberg.

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo »

Well, the only thing we can do is ask the concerned people themselves.
Lets do that next time we bump into each other at a convention. :)

However, I have found some old articles which might give a hint:

An old Sound On Sound article which talks about Martin being @ Euphonix.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/steinberg-nuendo-3
[...] And very publicly placing the company's Project Manager for Post-production, Martin Stahl, in LA with Euphonix to investigate the needs of the LA post-production market has clearly helped to build a better product. [...]
This is from Pro-Music-News talking about the 115th AES Convention.
http://pro-music-news.com/html/10/e10706st.htm
[...] Nuendo 2.1 being displayed linked to a Euphonix System 5 mixing console, Steinberg and Euphonix showed the continuity of their long-term cooperation. [...]
This comes from Mix Magazine.
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/con ... ace-365406
[...] Euphonix is closely working with Steinberg and other DAW manufacturers to enable full MC control. At recent trade shows,
Euphonix demonstrated work-in-progress with Nuendo and is in discussionwith other DAW makers. [...]
[...] If digital console manufacturers are actively pursing the potential of controlling external workstations, then what of the DAW makers? Forexample, Steinberg continues to work with Euphonix to refine EuConfunctionality. But, according to Martin Stahl, Steinberg’s project
coordinator for post-production, the firm offers [...]
And lastly ... wow, the Internet has deep hidden stuff. An article by Martin himself.
https://www.yumpu.com/de/document/read/ ... /der-autor
[...] Der Autor:
Nach einer Erweiterung des Aufgabenfeldes im technischen Product Management ging Stahl im februar 2004 als projektmanager Post Porduction für Steinberg nach Loas Angeles. Für das Euphonix Project S5 MC is er zudem als technischer Berater tätig. [...]

[...]Das Entwicklungsteam bei Steinberg bringt Nuendo momentan bei, das Eucon Protokol von Euphonix zu sprechen und zu verstehen. [...]
HTH
Fredo

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

ErikG wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:40 am
I’m not allowed to say, but MSRP is not what it is sold at as far as I can tell.
If the price is as low as you hinted at then either Yamaha is taking a fairly big hit on these devices (or making no money), or they really should have their MSRP adjusted.

Last time I talked face-to-face to an official from, ehum... let's call it "Steinberg OR Yamaha"... the person told me that the market for Nuage was close to zero. Only very few are buying them relative to Eucon devices. It's basically an uphill battle despite Yamaha now apparently trying to promote them for broadcast as well.

The way I see it they should just lower the prices officially to match the lower price of Nuendo and try to get more of the market. There's not really much of a brand to protect when it comes to the controllers. Nobody is going to not get a Nuage because the brand was damaged by a low price... We'd already be on Nuendo in order to even consider the controller.
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

Note, I am NOT saying the price is similar or even close to a S3 (of course it isn’t). But you get a lot more with a Nuage fader unit than what you get with a S3 for use with Nuendo so you need to factor that in as well. I would NEVER choose a S3 over a Nuage despite the higher cost.

What I AM saying is that a S3 at around 5000€ is expensive enough to be a bad choice compared to a Nuage fader unit. It has only one positive factor, small size.

But I do doubt that they are sold at MSRP in most cases.
Almost no pro audio gear ever has been in my experience.
11xNuendo, 5xPT

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

And yes the prices I get quoted may differ as I rarely buy a single unit of anything. We have ten sound studios and thirteen Nuendo licenses at the moment.
11xNuendo, 5xPT

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer »

ErikG wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:03 pm
And yes the prices I get quoted may differ as I rarely buy a single unit of anything. We have ten sound studios and thirteen Nuendo licenses at the moment.
Well, here in the states, the prices almost seem like concrete! 90% of the dealers say call for quote, while the remainder show the $12K tag and it's consistent from dealer to dealer. When I priced one, they were only offering a break for a 32 fader+master set up. But even those spacers are being quoted at $1K for the small and $2.5K for the large and they're just spacers!!

I want it. I'd buy it in a second if I could justify the expense. The budgets I'm getting for whatever work I can even find now is laughable. My ONLY justification is, theoretically, how much easier and faster my workflow would be. I could concentrate on the project and stop fighting the gear, which is all I do with Eucon!

Every day it's the same crap. Will it start? 90% of the time it will now. That percentage used to be much lower. Will it stay connected to Nuendo? 85% of the time it will. That percentage also used to be much lower. Can I get to the end of a project without a major crash? 95 % of the time, yes. But ONLY IF I TURN OFF AVID CONTROL! If it's on, Nuendo will crash within minutes 100% of the time! I've lost count of how many times I just finished a project with just the keyboard and trackball because I couldn't waste anymore time with Eucon interruptions!

THAT'S my justification. But it's the only justification I can muster. IF Eucon worked with Nuendo and Avid actually TRIED to please their customers instead of RULE them, I'd be using a pair of linked S3's with a Dock. But that's a fantasy. So, the only option is to limp along with Artist Series and hope SOMEBODY will build a mid priced hardware system that will actually work with this platform.

miguelnunes

Post by miguelnunes »

Keyplayer wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:51 pm
ErikG wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:03 pm
Well, here in the states, the prices almost seem like concrete! 90% of the dealers say call for quote, while the remainder show the $12K tag and it's consistent from dealer to dealer. When I priced one, they were only offering a break for a 32 fader+master set up. But even those spacers are being quoted at $1K for the small and $2.5K for the large and they're just spacers!!

I want it. I'd buy it in a second if I could justify the expense. The budgets I'm getting for whatever work I can even find now is laughable. My ONLY justification is, theoretically, how much easier and faster my workflow would be. I could concentrate on the project and stop fighting the gear, which is all I do with Eucon!

Every day it's the same crap. Will it start? 90% of the time it will now. That percentage used to be much lower. Will it stay connected to Nuendo? 85% of the time it will. That percentage also used to be much lower. Can I get to the end of a project without a major crash? 95 % of the time, yes. But ONLY IF I TURN OFF AVID CONTROL! If it's on, Nuendo will crash within minutes 100% of the time! I've lost count of how many times I just finished a project with just the keyboard and trackball because I couldn't waste anymore time with Eucon interruptions!

THAT'S my justification. But it's the only justification I can muster. IF Eucon worked with Nuendo and Avid actually TRIED to please their customers instead of RULE them, I'd be using a pair of linked S3's with a Dock. But that's a fantasy. So, the only option is to limp along with Artist Series and hope SOMEBODY will build a mid priced hardware system that will actually work with this platform.
You could consider going the MCU route and find an alternative for key commands and macros.
It’s not perfect, but my S3+Dock+Control is working at 90% for what I need. I can get around the Vca spill and the lack of hidden tracks for ex.
No crashing issues at the moment, but it really needs big improvements.
Also, the eq values seem to match both the hardware and software, no issues there also, but I tend to adjust dynamics with the mouse or, most recently, with the iPad.
I had an artist mix back then, I couldn’t get around it. Poor and unconfident faders for mixing large post sessions, sold it and got a Mackie MCU that I still have as a backup for any emergency.
Left the MCU for Eucon because I needed to control cue sends.
But yeah, hoping that the Steinberg Eucon implementation doesn’t go away or become even more buggy, especially if the alternative is a minimum of 12k for something that I’m pretty sure It will not improve that much the one I have with the S3.

M.D.

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer »

miguelnunes wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:33 am

You could consider going the MCU route and find an alternative for key commands and macros.
It’s not perfect, but my S3+Dock+Control is working at 90% for what I need. I can get around the Vca spill and the lack of hidden tracks for ex.
No crashing issues at the moment, but it really needs big improvements.
Also, the eq values seem to match both the hardware and software, no issues there also, but I tend to adjust dynamics with the mouse or, most recently, with the iPad.
I had an artist mix back then, I couldn’t get around it. Poor and unconfident faders for mixing large post sessions, sold it and got a Mackie MCU that I still have as a backup for any emergency.
Left the MCU for Eucon because I needed to control cue sends.
But yeah, hoping that the Steinberg Eucon implementation doesn’t go away or become even more buggy, especially if the alternative is a minimum of 12k for something that I’m pretty sure It will not improve that much the one I have with the S3.

M.D.
That's essentially what I said, it works 90% of the time. That's the most stable it's ever been. Having the EQ numbers match on the S3 is a huge improvement. They DO NOT MATCH on the Artist Series. I was more than willing to go for an S3. But I need more than 16 faders and they wouldn't give them the linking feature that EVERY OTHER CONTROLLER in their lineup and all of their competition offers! Clearly, this was meant to force you to buy an S6. That's the only reason they could possibly have for omitting it! :x So, as I said, I'm limping along with Artist Series.

Here's the thing. As I understand it. Eucon is essentially MIDI on Cat 5/6 cable, which is what offers the extra band with for all of the deep integration. Nuage has THEIR VERSION and Smart AV had THEIR VERSION. Why won't Yamaha just give us THEIR VERSION? It's still MIDI. Just call it Super MIDI or "Spark" or whatever marketing comes up with. Nobody cares what you call it, as long as it works.

You're right about the Mackie/MCU protocol. That with Metagrid or X-Keys would definitely get you pretty close. That's why I was considering the Qcon Pro X for so long. I could get 25 faders and it follows EVERY MOVE Cubase made on screen! But you're limited to programming only the F keys, which puts all of the programming onto other devices for the Key Commands. Now you've got a serious ergonomic problem. Where do you put those other ESSENTIAL devices within easy reach and view without getting in the way of the "Official" Controller?

That's what so vexing. It CAN be done and almost everybody is doing SOME piece of it (Avid, Behringer, Mackie, Neve, Peavey, Presonus, Smart AV, SoftTube, SSL, Tascam, WK, Yamaha and on and on)! I don't understand why SB is leaving this giant hole in the market with SO MANY POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS LITERALLY BEGGING THEM DAILY for a solution!

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

No Nuage is not using MIDI.
11xNuendo, 5xPT

PeterGx

Post by PeterGx »

Fredo wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:56 am
Well, the only thing we can do is ask the concerned people themselves.
Lets do that next time we bump into each other at a convention. :)
Fredo
Accepted.
I'll try to find more from the people involved. I'd really like to know what the real story is.
Although it looks increasely unlikely for us to meet at any convention in near future. If there will be one, that is.
Back to those virtual beers, I guess. Cheers!

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer »

ErikG wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:46 am
No Nuage is not using MIDI.
I said "some version of MIDI." I don't care what you call it.

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas »

In the end I think Avid got it pretty right for my use case with the S3.

Despite the fact that the Nuage and S6 really look nice and expensive, I could not imagine going back to a desk where there is no keyboard and mouse. Both the S6 and Nuage use up too much space and would move either the console or mouse/keys too far off axis for my room size. Since a DAW is esentially still a computer software there will always be a lot of situations where these are the preferred human computer interaction methods for me.
Not for panning and volume rides for sure, but on the ProQ plugin I really think I prefer the mouse, for shortcuts the keyboard is unbeatable if you are a Ninja like we all tend to be.
So with a tight integration (in PT the iPad always shows the selected channel :D and you can hide/unhide channels, split (working) VCAs or show the active parameter lane with the click of a button) I am pretty close to my personal DAW control heaven.

I think the next step for me would be a programmable keyboard (like the Elgato XXL but larger and with more buttons) Do I hear you say Fairlight? I think that their concept is pretty amazing.
But tbh, for me this is then pretty much as complex as I want things to be, I think my sessinos are just not big enough to want more faders or deeper integration.

So, if you are on Nuendo and want to stay with it I guess you must either accept that the basic route (just faders and pans) or buying a Nuage are more or less the only resonable options at the moment. As Fredo stated Steinberg is unlikely to invest many resources into fixing EuCon or developing a mini Nuage. It's a shame, since this has been request for many years now and there is clearly a demand by some, but Steinberg seem to be slightly trapped between a rock and a hard place with (many) Cubase users shouting for more and more bells and whistles and (at least some) Nuendo users wanting implementations that are geared more towards the pro end of the market, where reliability and quality of functions matter more than a gazillion of new plugins. In PT land you see the opposite, where "vanilla" users are unhappy with the lack of new functions and pros getting slow but steady improvenent and some deeply integrated stuff for the ultimate market only.

Bottom line:

If I was in Steinbergs Pro Audio product management I would ask myself if I could take the risk to invest into fixing my side of EuCon, at least to a point where it does not crash my app anymore. I don't quite get why a mistake on the AVID side should crash my code. It could just not work, but a crash? How much work can it be to analyze and catch a bug that is reported by many users and where a 100% repro method exists? (at least that was the case with the ipad app and Nuendo when I left the platform).

While we are investigating all things automation here, has the initial parameter / VCA / Automation problem finally been solved?
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings
https://aufnahme.myds.me

miguelnunes

Post by miguelnunes »

Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:37 pm
In the end I think Avid got it pretty right for my use case with the S3.

Despite the fact that the Nuage and S6 really look nice and expensive, I could not imagine going back to a desk where there is no keyboard and mouse. Both the S6 and Nuage use up too much space and would move either the console or mouse/keys too far off axis for my room size. Since a DAW is esentially still a computer software there will always be a lot of situations where these are the preferred human computer interaction methods for me.
Not for panning and volume rides for sure, but on the ProQ plugin I really think I prefer the mouse, for shortcuts the keyboard is unbeatable if you are a Ninja like we all tend to be.
So with a tight integration (in PT the iPad always shows the selected channel :D and you can hide/unhide channels, split (working) VCAs or show the active parameter lane with the click of a button) I am pretty close to my personal DAW control heaven.

I think the next step for me would be a programmable keyboard (like the Elgato XXL but larger and with more buttons) Do I hear you say Fairlight? I think that their concept is pretty amazing.
But tbh, for me this is then pretty much as complex as I want things to be, I think my sessinos are just not big enough to want more faders or deeper integration.

So, if you are on Nuendo and want to stay with it I guess you must either accept that the basic route (just faders and pans) or buying a Nuage are more or less the only resonable options at the moment. As Fredo stated Steinberg is unlikely to invest many resources into fixing EuCon or developing a mini Nuage. It's a shame, since this has been request for many years now and there is clearly a demand by some, but Steinberg seem to be slightly trapped between a rock and a hard place with (many) Cubase users shouting for more and more bells and whistles and (at least some) Nuendo users wanting implementations that are geared more towards the pro end of the market, where reliability and quality of functions matter more than a gazillion of new plugins. In PT land you see the opposite, where "vanilla" users are unhappy with the lack of new functions and pros getting slow but steady improvenent and some deeply integrated stuff for the ultimate market only.

Bottom line:

If I was in Steinbergs Pro Audio product management I would ask myself if I could take the risk to invest into fixing my side of EuCon, at least to a point where it does not crash my app anymore. I don't quite get why a mistake on the AVID side should crash my code. It could just not work, but a crash? How much work can it be to analyze and catch a bug that is reported by many users and where a 100% repro method exists? (at least that was the case with the ipad app and Nuendo when I left the platform).

While we are investigating all things automation here, has the initial parameter / VCA / Automation problem finally been solved?

Thank you, couldn't said it better myself.
I also have an S3 plus dock and iPad on my studio, its not perfect, but it does 90% on Nuendo of what it does 100% in PT.
Some users are reporting a crash with PT Control when loading 40+ tracks in Nuendo, not having that issue at all, it all works like intended when I select the track on the Control app track tab.
I ocasionally do Post work on a bigger studio than mine, it has a full blown S6, its a big mixing stage, and I do not get any workflow improvements regarding my own setup. ( already posted on this forum my personal experiences regarding this subject).
Ive made an internal and personal study regarding Nuendo users in the industry around the world, and it showed that Nuendo is indeed gaining market from PT in the Game Sound Design Market.
Also, it showed that ALMOST EVERY Post audio engineer that works with PT, have worked with Nuendo and had a positive experience.( Hardware integration is the main reason Engineers stick with Avid nowadays).
Its not that uncommon to mix in Nuendo with an S6, and that's where Steinberg s dropping the ball, even the Nuage seems outdated compared to the S6, working on Nuendo.
To conclude, if Steinberg/Yamaha want that Software innovation and sales without proprietary Hardware?! I advise trying to cultivate a good relationship with Avid, and not lose sight of the Eucon protocol.

M.D.

chednb

Post by chednb »

miguelnunes wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:36 pm
To conclude, if Steinberg/Yamaha want that Software innovation and sales without proprietary Hardware?! I advise trying to cultivate a good relationship with Avid, and not lose sight of the Eucon protocol.

M.D.
Absolutely my opinion!
It is / would be a win win for both, Avid is selling hardware and Steinberg users are happy to have a fully functional professional and affordable controller. I'm curious about the next Nuendo update if they fixed all these annoying EUCON bugs... hopefully!

cheers
Win10 Enterprise 1909 | Nuendo 10.2.10 | Ryzen 9 3950X | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200 | ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE | NH-D15 SE-AM4 | Seasonic Focus RX-750 | 1x 512GB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2, 1x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2, 2x 2TB Intel 660p NVMe M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 860 Evo | NVidia Geforce GTX Titan | RME Fireface UFX+ | Avid S1 | Komplete Kontrol M32

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”