Moving Events Between Tracks

So here’s my process

I get either an AAF or OMF plus a reference Video with the editor’s audio… I can’t ever call it a “mix”.

You are correct FCPX can break things into Dialog/Effects/Music and further… a Role for each character in each location if the editor sets the Roles up. It’s brilliant and I’ve done it for projects I’ve done picture editing on. But most editors ( particularly documentary ) still use Premiere and just stick audio wherever it fits on a track… set a level… and move on. I regularly get all Camera tracks ( 2-8 these days ) which have camera mics, wireless mics , booms, … usually I only need one of those.

So my first job is to move through the project deleting extraneous events, breaking multi channels up in to mono or the other way around …

Now I set up Nuendo tracks to hold each type of audio taking particular care of dialog and separating locations so I can process per track where possible… “interviewee 1 in office”, Interviewee 1 in lab” , Interviewee 2 at home, Interviewee 2 in car “, Stereo Music, Location Room tones( which I have to manufacture usually! ), and so on… let’s call these “mix-tracks”.

Then I move through the Project again… as I come across each audio event I need to move it to the appropriate “mix-track” from it’s rather random origin in the video edit tracks. It’s not uncommon for the editor to have only used a couple of tracks for “Dialog” so they contain all the different “kinds” of speech in the project. Currently in Nuendo, for each event I can cut/paste, or select then Command drag the event (to keep sync ). Either way I have to scroll through the project tracks from the origin track to reach the destination mix-track. In the end I usually have 10 - 20 tracks for speech… which as I said, originated from a mashup of original tracks so it’s a lot of scrolling. Multiply 10 secs of scrolling up and back over hundreds of events and you get hours of wasted time.

So I just want to click on an event and move it to the appropriate “mix” track. Done . I also requested having an option to quickly create a new track for the event to go to in case I need it … again very common.

Once each audio “type” is on a mix-track I can EQ, compress, noise reduce and set a basic level across the track very quickly.

Then of course all the fiddly stuff can start.

If every thing in Nuendo that took 2 seconds could be done in 1 second the mix would take half the time. I know this is true from editing video in FCPX … it does the repetitive stuff at least twice as fast as other NLE’s so the edit moves very quickly. If the time saved was fractionally spent assigning Audio Roles my Nuendo life would be even easier.

But Editors… sigh. They are blind to FCPX and how much of their life they would get back.

Anyway, maybe this suggestion isn’t useful to anyone else… perhaps you are all working on scripted, sound stage, double system, auto conformed, ADR tightly-controlled-workflow types of jobs. That’s great. But me? Nope…

This request would help me. If it doesn’t get in the way of others work I’m gonna keep asking. Besides it would take an hour of the summer intern coder’s time to implement it. Pretty sure. :wink:)