AAF Export to ProTools guidance

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
windyweekend

AAF Export to ProTools guidance

Post by windyweekend »

I have an editor who's after an export in AAF so he can use it in PT. The Export function looks straightforward enough, but I get an dialog window popping up indicating Nuendo must split multichannel tracks split to mono for the AAF. After noodling some googling I understand I need to convert all the audio files to mono in the Pool for PT to be able to receive them.

Question 1 - If I do a conversion in the pool, will this leave me with hundreds of mono files now in Nuendo, or can I still have the project as before, with all the stereo files, but just have this extra mono versions available for my AAF exports. I'm backing up the whole thing first just in case, but I'd rather not find out this is a one way street leaving me with twice as many files as before to now have to manage.

What does everyone else do in this situation typically, esp if you may need to continue working in Nuendo later on with more audio files (do I just forget to ever work in stereo ever again just so I can be compatible with PT)?

Question 2 - If I'm going to need to export these as Audio anyway, how would I go about automatically creating these mono files ready for the eventual AAF export to PT? Having to work in stereo, then convert everything to mono sounds so 1980's to me, unless I'm missing something here.

Would love to hear suggestions.
Nuendo 10.3 VEP 6.5.18883 Windows 10 i7-7700 4 core 80GB Ram (spread across 4 PCs via VEP) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060. An unhealthy amount of Spitfire. Cubase user since Steinberg Pro24 (1988). Nuendo user since last month...

Fredo
External Moderator

Re: AAF Export to ProTools guidance

Post by Fredo »

Why don't you use the "convert tracks" function?
No need to convert all these files in the Pool ...

Fredo

ManChicken

Re: AAF Export to ProTools guidance

Post by ManChicken »

I usually make AAFs with 'Export All to One File' for PT users because in my experience they don't know how to relink the imported AAF to the separate media files. Maybe it's better/easier in newer versions of ProTools, I dunno.. but I got tired of getting the phone call "the AAF you sent me is empty" and trying to explain it to them, so I gave up a long time ago and send a single embedded AAF.

This also has the added benefit that it will generate new media files and split the tracks for you on-the-fly, and won't alter your original project or add extra items into your pool.

Return to “General”