Any disadvantages from using Nuendo over Cubase?

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
matthacksteiner

Any disadvantages from using Nuendo over Cubase?

Post by matthacksteiner »

Hi!

I am a long time Cubase user and considering the switch to Nuendo (due to the 40% discount). Are there any disadvantages in using Nuendo over Cubase? Most of the time I compose music and/or create sound design for commercials, documentaries, etc...

Thanks,
Matt
DAW: WIN10 | 64GB RAM | Cubase 10.5
Slave: Win 10 | 32GB RAM | VEPRO6 | MIR

JDSStudios

Re: Any disadvantages from using Nuendo over Cubase?

Post by JDSStudios »

At the Steinberg.net shopping part there is a comparison list.
Nuendo has all the things Cubase does plus a few more plugins and a few other features.
I moved from Cubase to Nuendo in 2002 (earlier?) because I wanted to be ready for anything,
and welcomed the decision when I had a chance to score a movie, because there were a few
extra tools, like for example two video tracks capability, instead of only one in Cubase.

All that being sad, if you are strictly composing music and recording audio and MIDI,
you should be OK in Cubase 10.5.
Nuendo 10.3, Nuendo 4.3 NEK, Halion 3, Groove Agent, RME 96/52 HDSP 52 Channels ADAT,
Yamaha O2R 24 channel 48 input, Yamaha O1V, Steinberg MIDEX 8, Yamaha Motif Rack,
UAD-1 with jBridge for 32bit plugins, I7 Windows 7 64bit, 32GB RAM, Asus P8Z77 LV-X,
3 Asus 32” monitors, Korg Triton Studio, Korg M1, Roland Sound Canvas 8850 Pro,
Waves Horizon, SSL, X-feedback, Abbey Road, Melodyne 4, MLP, Fractal AX8.

matthacksteiner

Post by matthacksteiner »

JDSStudios wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 am
At the Steinberg.net shopping part there is a comparison list.
Nuendo has all the things Cubase does plus a few more plugins and a few other features.
I moved from Cubase to Nuendo in 2002 (earlier?) because I wanted to be ready for anything,
and welcomed the decision when I had a chance to score a movie, because there were a few
extra tools, like for example two video tracks capability, instead of only one in Cubase.

All that being sad, if you are strictly composing music and recording audio and MIDI,
you should be OK in Cubase 10.5.
I've read the comparison chart and there are some fine features that I would definitely use. But it's good to hear from a user that there a no drawbacks when using Nuendo instead of Cubase.
DAW: WIN10 | 64GB RAM | Cubase 10.5
Slave: Win 10 | 32GB RAM | VEPRO6 | MIR

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 »

If there is a disadvantage it's the ongoing process of the timing of updates. Sometimes Cubase gets some new features before Nuendo and sometimes it's the other way around.

This seems to really annoy some people for reasons I don't understand. It is obviously unavoidable since the products do not update at the same time. Other than that, there is no disadvantage. Only the advantages of the additional features in Nuendo.
N10.3 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4 GHz Win 7 Pro 64bit - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad

windyweekend

Post by windyweekend »

I may be too late to help you now, but...I crossgraded from Cubase 8 to Nuendo 10 just before the sale :0(
I did this because I was mid movie and the Producers asked me to do some post production stuff to clean up dialog and add some ADR 'since I was doing the audio anyway'. I figured I needed a Cubase upgrade anyhow and it would be cross from composing into the post-production world.

My learnings -

1) The composing features in Nuendo 10 (vs Cubase 8) are painful to relearn. Some simple things are still broken (?) and I can't get to work (e.g. tempo changing!).
2) The Post production features in Nuendo are cool and hit the nail dead on. I was sharing files with guys over at Netflix using ProTools and their stuff wasn't sounding anywhere near as good as what I was doing in Nuendo. I was learning on the job in real time, under pressure and a deadline, but the Cubase background helped me move to Nuendo quickly and get stuff done fast.
3) The video encoding in C10/N10 is crap. I can't get any video to work without stuttering no matter what encoders I use. I ahve to export to Adobe premiere pro to mixdown final video cuts, which is a pain.

Bottom line - the Post prod features in Nuendo are great. The composing 'improvements' from Cubase 8 are awful, and the Video is a non-starter now unfortunately until I can figure out how to get it to work. I'm 6 weeks in now though and no luck yet. Unless you're planning on doing lots of Post-prod/Atmos editing then stick with an earlier version of Cubase, else get Nuendo + a real Video syncing product together.
Nuendo 10.3 VEP 6.5.18883 Windows 10 i7-7700 4 core 80GB Ram (spread across 4 PCs via VEP) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060. An unhealthy amount of Spitfire. Cubase user since Steinberg Pro24 (1988). Nuendo user since last month...

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo »

windyweekend wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:48 pm

1) The composing features in Nuendo 10 (vs Cubase 8) are painful to relearn. Some simple things are still broken (?) and I can't get to work (e.g. tempo changing!).
There are no specific composing features in Nuendo; they are exactly the same as in Cubase.
They are in par with the latest version of Cubase. So if you would have followed the Cubase upgrade path, you'd had the same remarks.
(Not that it changes anything fundamental to your complaints) :)

windyweekend wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:48 pm
3) The video encoding in C10/N10 is crap. I can't get any video to work without stuttering no matter what encoders I use. I ahve to export to Adobe premiere pro to mixdown final video cuts, which is a pain.
It all depends on the codec you are using. And that goes for *ANY* DAW.
Only ProRez, DnDx and Photo Jpeg guarantee you smooth playback and frame accuracy.

If you were using one of these encoders, then something is wrong with your system.

HTH
Fredo

windyweekend

Post by windyweekend »

Thanks Fredo. I'm going to try out those codecs and see if I can get the video solved once and for all. I am completely convinced it's my lack of codec knowledge that's at fault here, and not the software. It was so much easier with Cubase 8 using Quicktime, but I can see the flexibility offered now. My painful learning curve from C8 to N10 has been solely in the Cubase features between the versions (the Nuendo features have been bomber), so i would have had to go through this at some point. I'm so glad I didn't quit and bail over to ProTools! It's Steinberg for me until my (or their) dieing day!
Nuendo 10.3 VEP 6.5.18883 Windows 10 i7-7700 4 core 80GB Ram (spread across 4 PCs via VEP) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060. An unhealthy amount of Spitfire. Cubase user since Steinberg Pro24 (1988). Nuendo user since last month...

madpanic

Post by madpanic »

I am using Cubase at present for music and some sound design, and Davinci Resolve for video editing/grading. I have used the Fairlight sound mixing component of Davinci Resolve very successfully and I do like it because it makes selecting channels from a multichannel file easy and is part of an integrated suite, but, it is lacking in some areas, however, round tripping to Cubase can be a bit frustrating (doesn't support MXF for example) and channel selection from a multichannel file isn't straight forward, so I find myself having to work in multiple packages.

So my question is whether Nuendo works nicely with import / export to NLE's, handles multichannel files with ease and whether it will open / save Cubase projects (or are cubase projects one-way)?

Return to “General”