Crossfade Not Working

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
TheHoggopogo

Crossfade Not Working

Post by TheHoggopogo »

Hello all,

Out of nowhere I lost the ability to crossfade by hitting "x". Even going into dropdown menu Audio, "Crossfade" is in grey and is unclickable. I do not believe there are any hidden fades due to "Remove Fades" also being greyed out.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I am running the Mac version of Nuendo 10.

Thanks in advance, this has been really annoying, I have no idea what to do haha.

ManChicken

Re: Crossfade Not Working

Post by ManChicken »

Do you have a part selected? Is it possibly set as Locked in one of the 'Other' modes?

TheHoggopogo

Post by TheHoggopogo »

None of my audio is locked

Doufus Styles

Post by Doufus Styles »

Same here and no answer from Steinberg as yet.

JDSStudios

Post by JDSStudios »

Make sure you are not trying to cross fade in different tracks.
Are you sure you are in the same track, just different lanes?
Nuendo 10.3, Nuendo 4.3 NEK, Halion 3, Groove Agent, RME 96/52 HDSP 52 Channels ADAT,
Yamaha O2R 24 channel 48 input, Yamaha O1V, Steinberg MIDEX 8, Yamaha Motif Rack,
UAD-1 with jBridge for 32bit plugins, I7 Windows 7 64bit, 32GB RAM, Asus P8Z77 LV-X,
3 Asus 32” monitors, Korg Triton Studio, Korg M1, Roland Sound Canvas 8850 Pro,
Waves Horizon, SSL, X-feedback, Abbey Road, Melodyne 4, MLP, Fractal AX8.

Captainahabnz

Post by Captainahabnz »

Has anyone found an answer to this yet? I have the same issue

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris »

It is working here.

I just cut a part in to two, selected both parts and pressed 'X' - a crossfade was added.

I was using N10.
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

PC: i7 Quad core 2.66GHz, 24GB ram, SSD drives.
Screens: LG 4K 3440x1440, AG-Neovo 1280x1024 (x2).
Hardware: RME FireFace UFX, MR816CSX (x2), SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Midi Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Roland V-Drums TD-20X, Nektar Panorama P1.
Software: Nuendo-8.1.10, Wavelab-Elements-9.5, Halion-6, Halion Sonic 3, Kontakt-5, Cubase iCPro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth), Omnisphere, Trillian.

Niekbeem

Post by Niekbeem »

by ManChicken » 01 Oct 2019 08:06
Do you have a part selected? Is it possibly set as Locked in one of the 'Other' modes?
by fenderchris » 25 Mar 2020 11:33
I just cut a part in to two, selected both parts and pressed 'X' - a crossfade was added.
You're both writing "PART" and "PARTS" here, but do you actually mean "EVENT(S)"?
Because (cross)fading PARTS is not possible in Nuendo, as far as I know.

Maybe here lies the cause of the issue "TheHoggopogo" is dealing with? Maybe the audio-EVENTS got inadvertently merged into PARTS?

Niek/ Amsterdam.
Nuendo 10 / Pro Tools Ultimate / Logic X / MixBus32C 5 / WaveLab 10
MacPro 5.1: 12Core 3.46GHz Intel Xeon/ 48GB RAM/ Mac OSX 10.13
MacBook Pro: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9/ 32 GB RAM/ Mac OSX 10.14
MetricHalo ULN8 + 2882 / RME HDSPe MadiFace
Euphonix MC Pro

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris »

Niekbeem wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:16 pm
You're both writing "PART" and "PARTS" here, but do you actually mean "EVENT(S)"?

Maybe here lies the cause of the issue "TheHoggopogo" is dealing with? Maybe the audio-EVENTS got inadvertently merged into PARTS?

Niek/ Amsterdam.
Well, if I record a guitar part on to an audio track in Nuendo I call it a 'part'. I could also refer to it as an 'audio event' or even a 'clip'. As far as I'm concerned they are the same thing, and I know what I mean. In any event, cross-fading functions as expected regardless of what I call it.

:)
Chris

Hardware: RME FireFace UFX, MR816CSX (x2), SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Midi Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Roland V-Drums TD-20X, Nektar Panorama P1.
Software: Nuendo-8.1.10, Wavelab-Elements-9.5, Halion-6, Halion Sonic 3, Kontakt-5, Cubase iCPro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth), Omnisphere, Trillian.

Captainahabnz

Post by Captainahabnz »

It's a 10.5 issue I think, I opened up an old version of 10 and it works perfectly.

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris »

I did not know that Nuendo 10.5 was out yet!
Chris

Captainahabnz

Post by Captainahabnz »

fenderchris wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 pm
I did not know that Nuendo 10.5 was out yet!
I'm talking about Cubase 10.5

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris »

This is the Nuendo forum.
Chris

Splaaat

Post by Splaaat »

Sorry if this is off-topic, but does 'Auto Cross-fade' work for everyone else? Say, I drag one event over the other on the same track...does it automatically crossfade between two regions? I was quite used to this in Logic and it has worked at times in Nuendo, but I can’t consistently get this to function.
Last edited by Splaaat on Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuendo 10 | Mac Mini 2018 - 3.2GHz i7 6-Core 32GB RAM | MacBook Pro 2019 - 2.4GHz i9 8-Core 64GB RAM | UAD Apollo X | RME UFX

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris »

Splaaat wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:40 am
Sorry if this is off-topic, but does 'Auto Cross-fade' work for everyone else? Say, I drag one event over the other on the same track...does it automatically crossfade between two regions? I was quite used to this in Logic and it has worked at times in Nuendo, but I can consistently get this to function.
I've tested it in N10 and N8 and can not get it to automatically create a crossfade if one event is placed slightly over another event. Should we be expecting this to happen automatically??

I have selected 'Auto Crossfades' in Project/Auto Fades Settings in both versions but neither of them work unless I subsequently press the [X] key.

Might be a bug.
Chris

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo »

Unless I have missed this .... this was never possible in Nuendo. You always have to press (x)

Fredo

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris »

Fredo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:42 pm
Unless I have missed this .... this was never possible in Nuendo. You always have to press (x)

Fredo
OK thanks. That's no problem for me, but do you have any idea what 'auto' means in the phrase 'Auto Crossfades'?
Chris

GSlawson

Post by GSlawson »

It is not working on my Nuendo with the current 10.2.20.396 on Mac. It didn't work in the prior version either. I thought I had inadvertently done something to disable it, so I reinstalled Nuendo, but no joy. I recorded a bass part with no punches, split the event and tried to remove a chorus and then crossfade. The crossfade is greyed out. I grabbed sounds from my SFX library, trimmed the events so there was plenty of handle and the same thing happened. This has completely put the brakes on a project I started, so I have had to switch over to composing and recording this in Logic pro X, but as least I can punch in and crossfade the punches. I have not seen any word from Steinberg on this issue, although my support email auto-reply said it was a known issue and I would hear back in 24-48 hours. I deliver the cue tomorrow so I can't wait. Has anyone heard anything from Steinberg on whether or not this is a 10, 10.2, 10.2.2 version issue? I've been a Cubase user since 1988, and I have not seen something this basic get broken this badly.
MacPro 5,1 X5690 12 core, 64 gb ram, Radeon RX580, 1TB SSD main drive, 2 - 1TB Sample drives, 500GB Project drive, Focusrite 18i20 Gen 3, Raven Mti2, Adam A7X mains and center, Adam T5V surrounds, KRK 10s sub, Native Instruments Komplete, EastWest, Spectrasonics, Spitfire Audio, etc.

GSlawson

Post by GSlawson »

I had a Team Viewer session with Joel and the crossfades did not work, so we backed up my preferences and then trashed them and started Nuendo 10.2.2 and I could crossfade once again. I have reloaded all the necessary preferences from the original files and the crossfades work. Loaded older projects and all is well. If you have had a similar issue this may be the fix. I saved my old preferences folder in case Steinberg needs to look at it.
MacPro 5,1 X5690 12 core, 64 gb ram, Radeon RX580, 1TB SSD main drive, 2 - 1TB Sample drives, 500GB Project drive, Focusrite 18i20 Gen 3, Raven Mti2, Adam A7X mains and center, Adam T5V surrounds, KRK 10s sub, Native Instruments Komplete, EastWest, Spectrasonics, Spitfire Audio, etc.

Helidream

Post by Helidream »

fenderchris wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 pm
Niekbeem wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:16 pm

Niek/ Amsterdam.
Well, if I record a guitar part on to an audio track in Nuendo I call it a 'part'. I could also refer to it as an 'audio event' or even a 'clip'. As far as I'm concerned they are the same thing, and I know what I mean. In any event, cross-fading functions as expected regardless of what I call it.

:)
Events are not the same thing as clips.

A clip is a playlist for a primary audio file and its processed ranges files. It is possible to duplicate a clip, both versions linking to the same primary audio file but with eventually different links for processed ranges files.

An event is what you get when you put a clip on the timeline in a track. An event can be adjusted, copied... And is linked to the source clip. A source clip can have many adjusted events on the timeline in different tracks.

Parts are containers in the display which contain one or more events. They were mandatory to place audio in the Cubase VST age.

And regions are segments within events marked as areas of interest.

Parts are confusing at best, probably the strangest thing inside Nuendo. The reason is probably that they are a vestige of the Cubase VST age : Inside Cubase VST, an audio part was mandatory to place audio content in the timeline. Starting with Cubase SX, audio events can be placed directly in the tracks, but parts are still usable to group events.

Nothing has been done since this old time to make this more user understandable.

Parts are not clearly shown graphically, but more importantly i think that they are mainly confusing because they are duplicating the "Edit, Group" function that can group events too.

Here is what the manual say for Parts :

Audio parts are containers for audio events. If you want to treat several audio events as one unit in the Project window, you can convert them to a part.

And for Events grouping :

You can treat several events on the same or different tracks as one unit by grouping them.

:lol: :lol:

Many users are confused by this and are not sure about when to use parts, and when to use events grouping.

I think that the manual should at least explain what are the differences between those two functions, their scopes, and when to use each one.

And perhaps fully redesign this as a more global and better integrated event grouping strategy. This would add a lot to Nuendo / Cubase clearness.
Comps+OS: PC Intel Core i7 six core 's - X79 Chipset - 256 Go SATA SSD - 1 To SATA Hard disk, 16 Go RAM - Win 7 Pro 64 Dual 27" monitors - AMD Firepro V7900 video card - Nuendo 8.3.20.
MR816csx - UR44 - MOTU 828 mkIII audio interfaces.
JLCooper MCS3800 (Mixing and Transport) - AKAI AFX + Midi translator Pro (Control Room) - TouchOSC Android (Personal Monitoring Controller) Control surfaces.
Rogers LS3/5a proximity monitors.
Sony PCM-7040 DAT - TASCAM HD-P2 recorder - PTV PT5210 Digital sync generator - Steinberg Timebase - Adam Smith ZETA3 synchronizers.
Lindos LA100 audio analyzer, HP 5372A frequency and time interval analyzer, Siglent SDG2042X signal generator - Tektronix TDS5000 scope - Efratom 10 MHz rubidium clock - HP Z3816A GPS frequency standard.

Niekbeem

Post by Niekbeem »

We're getting a bit off topic here, but what does that matter in these days?

I think you gave an excellent explanation about the difference between events and parts.
For me personally you gave the definition "clip" finally this definition which I actually understand! Nuendo's manual is so unclear about this, but you nailed in my opinion.
So.....thank you.

Niek/ Amsterdam.
Nuendo 10 / Pro Tools Ultimate / Logic X / MixBus32C 5 / WaveLab 10
MacPro 5.1: 12Core 3.46GHz Intel Xeon/ 48GB RAM/ Mac OSX 10.13
MacBook Pro: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9/ 32 GB RAM/ Mac OSX 10.14
MetricHalo ULN8 + 2882 / RME HDSPe MadiFace
Euphonix MC Pro

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris »

You are both right in saying that the terminology is very confusing and not explained well in the manual, but I have decided that life is too short to worry about it. As long as I can get what I want out of Nuendo I don't care what things are called, or what I think they are called.
Chris

drdrdrdr

Post by drdrdrdr »

GSlawson wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:47 pm
I had a Team Viewer session with Joel and the crossfades did not work, so we backed up my preferences and then trashed them and started Nuendo 10.2.2 and I could crossfade once again. I have reloaded all the necessary preferences from the original files and the crossfades work. Loaded older projects and all is well. If you have had a similar issue this may be the fix. I saved my old preferences folder in case Steinberg needs to look at it.
Hi I’m having the same issue. Which files must you save from the original preferences folder to put back into the new preferences folder ?

stevefoxon

Post by stevefoxon »

fenderchris wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:33 pm
OK thanks. That's no problem for me, but do you have any idea what 'auto' means in the phrase 'Auto Crossfades'?
I believe Auto Crossfade is just referring to what happens when you split an event, at which point it will apply an automatic crossfade based on your default setting. It won't be visible though, it happens in real time. As you will see in the settings, it can't be any larger than 500ms, so is not meant as a tool for crossfading, just to stop any glitches at the point the split events meet. It's the same for Audio fades as well, they are applied at the and of an event I think.

GSlawson

Post by GSlawson »

I reloaded my key commands, batches, presets, project templates folders, VST quick controls. I let Nuendo rescan the plugins to make sure everything was certified. I just took a few minutes and reset my screen layouts, media bay settings, etc.manually. I have been working with it daily and there have been no further issues.

Return to “General”