USB-C but not USB-C?

When I first hooked this up I used a USB-C cable to go from the AXR4U to the USB-C input on my PC, the interface was not recognized. Using the USB-C to USB3 cable did recognize it.

Is this intended functionality?

These days most USB-C to USB-C cables are safe. That was not always the case a few years back, where we saw USB-C cables (including one from Anker) with the potential to damage small devices. As with any electronics following the basics are a good idea. Get cables from known, trust brands and retailers. Go over reviews (on and away from Amazon). Avoid too good to be true prices.

If you really want to be safe get a USB-C cable that is USB-IF certified. Such cables should advertise that in their listings. Those cables have been tested and approved by the body that created USB-C.

I had the same experience and realised all USB-C cables are NOT the same. A good quality known brand is what you want.

M

So are you saying that you were able to get it to function with usb-c to usb-c connection?

It is also important to note that USB-C only describes the connector. The protocol is a separate specification. Such as USB 3.0, 3.1, Thunderbolt 3, etc. So you could have a Type C cable that meets the specifications for USB 3.0 but not for USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt 3, etc.
The AXR is specified as a SuperSpeed USB 3.1 with Type C connector so you need a cable certified for SuperSpeed USB 3.1.
I think the SuperSpeed cableds (USB 3.1) have the “SS” beside the USB symbol on the connector.

I’ve confirmed my cables are all not compatible and have ordered some new ones. I’ll update when I receive them.

I’ve no successfully used a USB-C to USB-C. Currently using this a 10Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2 but also using a Juiced Systems VertexHUB with it as well so I’m not losing any ports. Everything works flawless together.

The newest and fastest USB-C ports use the USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 specification, with maximum speeds of 20GBps.

When is a USB-C not just a USB-C? When it is a Thunderbolt Connection!!!