Cubase 10.5 randomly changes expression maps articulations on playback.

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
radianced

Re: Cubase 10.5 randomly changes expression maps articulations on playback.

Post by radianced »

Hey guys,

I have the same problem here. I bought the 10.5 Update half a year ago and still can't use it because of this issue. I'm slowly getting a little *quiz* of by this... This is obviously a bug and not a setup-problem.
Is there an official place to report bugs at Steinberg?

Cheers, Timo

kage49

Post by kage49 »

Same problem. Any ETA on this? My work depends on expression maps working properly and I've had 10.5 since last year but not able to use it due to this.

pkennedy

Post by pkennedy »

Adding my voice to problem. When should we expect a patch?

matthewmooremusic

Post by matthewmooremusic »

Me too. Worked fine in 10.0 but not working in 10.5

I can reproduce it 100% and happy to produce test files if need be....

It is particularly noticeable when using "render in place"

manorouss

Post by manorouss »

Same issue here, looking forward to a solution. Only on big templates. Playback plays random articulations. I have to playback the cue a few times until it actually syncs back to the correct articulations.

paaltio

Post by paaltio »

10.5.20 release notes don’t seem to say anything about this. Anyone tried if it still happens?
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core, ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme, 256GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10 (2004), Nuendo 10.3, Cubase 10.5.20, Dorico 3.5.10

matthewmooremusic

paaltio wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:45 pm
10.5.20 release notes don’t seem to say anything about this. Anyone tried if it still happens?
Just looking at the issues some people are having with the new update, I think I'll wait a while before testing.....:-(

yayellou

Post by yayellou »

We will still continue to struggle like galley slaves. But there are always ways to get around the problems. Be imaginative
Cubase 10.5.12 | MacBook Pro 10.14.6
https://www.fppa.fr
New clip : Royal Blood Covid19 Cover : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3925Fu5VjCs

pkennedy

Post by pkennedy »

What I see happening is some articulation will work only on the note where they're being applied, other will be stick. Once the music passes a note, the articulation returns to the artc. at the top of the list in expressions file. That seems to be the default setting. This happens mostly with short artc., like pizzicato or marcato. Sustinuto type setting have more sustainability. My work around has been to apply the artc to each note where they're not sticking. Rather time consuming, but it works. I've also start making the default artc the one most frequently used. Perhaps someone has a better work around.

By the way, nice video .

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

Unfortunately I still can't reproduce it, but reported to Steinberg CAN-29604.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham »

When it happens here -from an audible point of view- Cubase is selecting the first slot in the Expression Map, which for me is legato (long) samples. So the problem is easier to audibly detect if pizzicato or spiccato or short samples are playing.
Cubase Pro 10.5.20, i7 9800x @ 4.2GHz, 128GB RAM, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Geforce GTX 1060

julliannailluj

Post by julliannailluj »

Hi everyone,

I'm also having the same problem, random changes of articulations, articulations sometimes not switching and following an expression map change, it happens during playback as well as during exports. This really messes things up as i will need to export Vsti's one by one and check if every note is played correctly.

I use Cubase Pro 10.5.20 and only use Spitfire Audio BBCSO Core Vsti with articulations.

Hope there will be a fix soon and wish you all the best!

matthewmooremusic

julliannailluj wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:24 pm
This really messes things up as i will need to export Vsti's one by one and check if every note is played correctly.

I use Cubase Pro 10.5.20 and only use Spitfire Audio BBCSO Core Vsti with articulations.

This! I have to render each track and then go back and render the sections that didn't work - sometimes moving just that articulation to another track to get it to work. Such a workflow killer.

Interesting that it's not fixed on .20.

C'mon steinberg....a lot of us use this professionally and it's costing us time and money!

arieln

Post by arieln »

matthewmooremusic wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:05 am
julliannailluj wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:24 pm
This really messes things up as i will need to export Vsti's one by one and check if every note is played correctly.

This! I have to render each track and then go back and render the sections that didn't work - sometimes moving just that articulation to another track to get it to work. Such a workflow killer.

Interesting that it's not fixed on .20.

C'mon steinberg....a lot of us use this professionally and it's costing us time and money!
Same is still happening here, Cubase has become completely unreliable!, i have long, big orchestral sessions, where each export takes ages, and I don't even know if they are gonna export fine. Not only i have to re-listen to them and try and spot any issues, but I've had to re-render tracks multiple times, many times!, and I still keep replaying things over and over....
It's very unfortunate that this hasn't been addressed in 10.5.20, and that we'll have to wait months? just to see if they care to fix it :(
I'm sorry for the negativity, but this is extremely frustrating, it's such a basic workflow killer!
This was working fine in Cubase 10!,
Cubase Pro 10.5 / Windows 10 64bits

beerbong

Post by beerbong »

Please check out my report here viewtopic.php?f=286&t=191464 on my attempt at a EM issue repro, and see if you can repro it. ty
BB - Intel Quad/RME/Nvidia Video, RME Raydat, Win10 Home
Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9.5 / Wavelab Elements / Halion 6 / Padshop Pro

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham »

beerbong wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:21 pm
Please check out my report here viewtopic.php?f=286&t=191464 on my attempt at a EM issue repro, and see if you can repro it. ty
Yeah that's perfectly normal behaviour.
https://youtu.be/v7j5V5HQaMw

Re: Issue. Today I had to change a Portato to a Legato because the next note that was meant to be a Crescendo kept being played as a Portato.
@Steinberg, Please fix this before November/December 2020. Thanks. :)
Last edited by J Buckingham on Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cubase Pro 10.5.20, i7 9800x @ 4.2GHz, 128GB RAM, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Geforce GTX 1060

beerbong

Post by beerbong »

J Buckingham wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:31 am
beerbong wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:21 pm
Yeah that's perfectly normal behaviour.
https://youtu.be/v7j5V5HQaMw

Re: Issue. Today I had to change a Portato to a Legato because the next note that was meant to be a Crescendo kept being played as a Portato.
@Steinberg, Please fix this before November/December 2020. Thanks. :)
Please help me understand, does no one use instruments with no articulation with no keypress? How can that be normal? Is it possible that you are just accepting this 'bug' as normal, or? because it's has been around for a long time?

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham »

So you would like it to go back to the first slot when there is no articulation data?. You are probably right, it should. I have never really thought about it. Maybe put in a feature request, 'cause I think Martin thinks this is normal as well. The whole thing needs an overhaul. They said they may take a look at it in 2037. 8-)

beerbong

Post by beerbong »

J Buckingham wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:19 pm
So you would like it to go back to the first slot when there is no articulation data?. You are probably right, it should. I have never really thought about it. Maybe put in a feature request, 'cause I think Martin thinks this is normal as well. The whole thing needs an overhaul. They said they may take a look at it in 2037. 8-)
Going back to the first slot is what it does currently, see this old thread 2014
viewtopic.php?t=56020

What I'm saying here is that no articulation should be sent when none is used. This seems so absurd to me because the current 'normal' suggests I should go back to using keyroll for my articulations because expression maps is working normal.
Having midi data (EM) sent after a midi part ends is recipe for disaster with any midi instrument.

I have many instruments which are setup like this. Shreddage 1, Musiclab Realstrat, etc.. Some of my instruments do have normal sustains on a dedicated keyswitch but these are more rare to find.

thanks for checking

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham »

I'm not sure it is sending MIDI after the note or part as you say. In this video you can see that after the MIDI notes end, I manually select a note thus changing the articulation. If what you were saying happens, happens, then I would not be able to change the articulation manually because there would be EM data being sent. But this does not seem to be the case. 2014...Wow
https://youtu.be/tOxLW27KHao

matthewmooremusic

I've attached a video file showing all the f@^*$$$in audio bounces I had to do just to get expression maps to work properly.

This project works fine in Cubase 10 but in Cubase 10.5 it's a lottery as to what articulation will play. Each time I play it, it does something different.

Fix please!!!
Cubase expression map bug.zip
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 12 times

beerbong

Post by beerbong »

J Buckingham wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:34 pm
I'm not sure it is sending MIDI after the note or part as you say. In this video you can see that after the MIDI notes end, I manually select a note thus changing the articulation. If what you were saying happens, happens, then I would not be able to change the articulation manually because there would be EM data being sent. But this does not seem to be the case. 2014...Wow
https://youtu.be/tOxLW27KHao
Ok yes that makes sense. I am still learning but that looks like manually changing overrides the articulation.

SimonCharlesHanna

Post by SimonCharlesHanna »

Yes this has been happening to me - what a pathetic showing by Steinberg.

This software cannot be used professionally if it continually takes two steps back with stability and functionality.

I have noted a rise on facebook groups with dissatisfied Cubase users of late.

Get your sh*t together

matthewmooremusic

I hate to agree because I've been a steinberg user for 17 years professionally including running an education suite with 15 copies........but .....yep I feel there needs to be a little bit of a socks being pulled up.......

I've actually just bought a licence for Reaper and although it's a pain getting it to have something similar to all the wonderful features of Cubase, I'm happy to do it for the reliability and quick fixes they provide.....

Return to “Issues”