[CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
Evertone

Re: [CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

Post by Evertone »

oliver07 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:57 am
1.png2.png3.pngI have average load increasing when Waves DBX160 compressor is added to inserts slot. This happens with other plugins too but with this particular effect it´s most striking. Project in the pictures has only 1 mono track and nothing else. Don´t think its normal...?
Getting the same thing over here. sonnox Oxford Eq does this when "Suspend VST3 plugin processing" is activated. When I turn it off, the problem goes away. The issue is the "Suspend VST3" preference that need a fix.
Cubase Pro 10.5
Mojave 10.14.6
iMac i7 - 32gb ram
Apogee Symphony IO

Krubbadoo

Post by Krubbadoo »

I've been working on the same session for more than 5 hours today and so far no memory leak is apparent. Session is still at about the same RAM consumption after many hours. Crossing my fingers but 10.5.12 seems pretty good on my setup.

Krubbadoo

Post by Krubbadoo »

I reopened the same sassion and did another 3 hours later today on it, and same result. No memory Leak, every plugin runs smoothly.
Best of luck to everybody on this. Let me know if I can help in any way. Thanks.

edz

Post by edz »

Hi Krubbadoo, can you please tell us which third part plugins you use ?
And describe your machine too, hardware, OS ?
Thanks a lot !
Edmond
2 Mac Pro 12 cores 96 & 64 gig ram each macOS on m2 nvme

Krubbadoo

Post by Krubbadoo »

Hi, Mac Mini 2018 6 core i7 @3.2 32 GB Ram OSX 10.14.5. Cubase Pro 10.5.12 (upgraded directly from 10.0.40

For the plugins I have Hundreds of them, so I won't name them all here for sure :)
Have all the major ones by Soundtoys, Eventide, UAD, Spectrasonics, Addictive drums 2, Slate Drums, Toontrack SD3, Izotope, Denise, Waves, PA,Sonnox, Valhalla,Komplete Ultimate Collector 12, IK multimedia,Kilohearts,DMG Audio, Fabfilter, D16 and so on.
Everything is at the latest version.

Ssameer

Post by Ssameer »

I have just installed Cubase 10.5.12 and my Addictive drums 2 has been blacklisted. Although it was working fine on Cubase 10.0.5 as it is a 64 bit plugin.

Fiction

Post by Fiction »

Hello all,
I switched to Mac (I7 with 32GB RAM) last year and I can't use anymore Cubase Pro 10.5 for my serious projects. CPU is always spike and quickly 100%. Per exemple, If I insert only Dynone VST on a track with a max buffer, I can't work anymore !
Yesterday, I installed Logic Pro X for testing with a big project with the same plugins and now, I'm only 50% CPU used without any issue during a long day. it's really sad to write that, but after more than 25 years of cubase I have to change now if I want to work without frustration. Cubase is not optimized for MAC, that's the reality...I regret that...

cabralstudio

Post by cabralstudio »

Dear forum friends.

This is my first post.

I used Logic for many years until I migrated to Cubase last year. I'm having problems with version 10.5.12 on Mojave, especially with "unexpected closings", while working and when closing the project. This makes our workflow very tense, something different from what happens with Logic.

From what I see, this is not just happening to me.

How can we report these errors to the developers? Just through the forum? Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?
CabralStudio

MacMini Server 2011 [CPU: Core i7 Quad-core; Storage: two SSD's SAMSUNG EVO 860 QVO 1TB in RAID 0, 16GB of RAM] run macOS 10.12.6 ("Sierra") – Focusrite Clarett 2 [Thunderbolt Audio Interface] – Cubase Elements 10.5.[x]

soundcloudfacebookinstagramyoutubeaudio streaming platforms.

MaestroMetro7

Post by MaestroMetro7 »

cabralstudio wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:20 pm
Dear forum friends.

This is my first post.

I used Logic for many years until I migrated to Cubase last year. I'm having problems with version 10.5.12 on Mojave, especially with "unexpected closings", while working and when closing the project. This makes our workflow very tense, something different from what happens with Logic.

How can we report these errors to the developers? Just through the forum? Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?
Welcome to the club :lol:
You're already in the right place and I don't want to seem to be the one to put a bad light on things; but I've been having multiple issues with this version of Cubase on my Mac (in general) for quite a while now as have other Mac Users.

Never could get it to work as I'd expected on Mojave and upgraded to Catalina as a desperate effort. Some things were better but overall not enough for me to focus on productivity.

So I just decided to invest in another DAW so I can at least work instead of troubleshooting all the time. Been extremely impressed with Studio One 4 Pro so far.

Don't know when the issues with 10.5.12 will be addressed but I can't wait around for that.

Good Luck to you!

cabralstudio

Post by cabralstudio »

MaestroMetro7 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:45 pm
cabralstudio wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:20 pm
Dear forum friends.

This is my first post.

Welcome to the club :lol:
You're already in the right place and I don't want to seem to be the one to put a bad light on things; but I've been having multiple issues with this version of Cubase on my Mac (in general) for quite a while now as have other Mac Users.

Never could get it to work as I'd expected on Mojave and upgraded to Catalina as a desperate effort. Some things were better but overall not enough for me to focus on productivity.

So I just decided to invest in another DAW so I can at least work instead of troubleshooting all the time. Been extremely impressed with Studio One 4 Pro so far.

Don't know when the issues with 10.5.12 will be addressed but I can't wait around for that.

Good Luck to you!
Thank you, I will need luck yes! :roll:

I really liked Cubase, especially the sound quality in DAW playback compared to Logic X.

I had to install Logic again, which, without a doubt, is very stable software on the macOS platform.

I also considered an OS upgrade to the latest version of Catalina, but not all of my plug-ins are currently compatible with it (eg FxPansion BFD 3).

In other words, I strongly urge the Steinberg developers to follow our bug reports and take urgent action in relation to us who use the software professionally.
CabralStudio

MacMini Server 2011 [CPU: Core i7 Quad-core; Storage: two SSD's SAMSUNG EVO 860 QVO 1TB in RAID 0, 16GB of RAM] run macOS 10.12.6 ("Sierra") – Focusrite Clarett 2 [Thunderbolt Audio Interface] – Cubase Elements 10.5.[x]

edz

Post by edz »

There is a solution for BFD 3 in Catalina :
https://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8259997
2 Mac Pro 12 cores 96 & 64 gig ram each macOS on m2 nvme

Ted Perlman

Post by Ted Perlman »

Fiction wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:59 am
CPU is always spike and quickly 100%
That’s what keeps happening to me in Cubase 10.5 ANY update. In the earlier updates it happened much quicker. Now it takes longer but it always happens. It can be caused by, like you mentioned, simply inserting a plugin, or in my case simply adding a track did it.
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
Producer-Guitarist-Arranger-Theologian
Nuendo 10.2.20 / Cubase 10.0.60 / Wavelab 9.5
Macbook Pro i7 2017 Quadcore 2.7 16gb ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.5
misterperlman@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/ted.perlman

cabralstudio

Post by cabralstudio »

Ted Perlman wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:50 pm
Fiction wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:59 am
CPU is always spike and quickly 100%
That’s what keeps happening to me in Cubase 10.5 ANY update. In the earlier updates it happened much quicker. Now it takes longer but it always happens. It can be caused by, like you mentioned, simply inserting a plugin, or in my case simply adding a track did it.
I started editing an audio file and when inserting the Waves F6 plug-in, the program ended immediately. In Logic X, it is working perfectly. It is very difficult to work with this DAW on the Mac! :cry:
CabralStudio

Filip Jonathan

Post by Filip Jonathan »

So...reading some of the comments here tells me I should NOT update to 10.5 yet. Or should I just buy the update without installing it? It'll be cheaper to go to 11 eventually.

Milkman76

Post by Milkman76 »

This is a platform independent issue, FYI. Exact issue happens on both platforms. Hope to see a fix for this *soon*.
Pinned post:
Steinberg wants you to know that hyperthreading(virtual cores) in cubase does not work on a variety of hardware platforms, but also does not want to lose any revenue, so is hiding and obfuscating the issue on their forums and allowing pro-brand accounts to create arguments and fighting between angry customers and themselves. TURN OFF hyperthreading, and your ASIO realtime spikes usually go away.

cubace

Post by cubace »

Filip Jonathan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:07 pm
So...reading some of the comments here tells me I should NOT update to 10.5 yet. Or should I just buy the update without installing it? It'll be cheaper to go to 11 eventually.
I think it will be cheaper to go from 10 to 11 direct than 10 to 10.5 to 11. But I dont think 11 will be faster than 10.5 or run better. For sure then will have fixed some bugs, but they will also do new ones. And with 11 they might require that you update to Catalina since apple is likely on their next version.

MaestroMetro7

Post by MaestroMetro7 »

cubace wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:36 am
I dont think 11 will be faster than 10.5 or run better. For sure then will have fixed some bugs, but they will also do new ones. And with 11 they might require that you update to Catalina since apple is likely on their next version.
I can't say that an upgrade to Catalina would be a requirement but I think that would be unlikely. But for sure I agree 11 won't be any faster or run better. At least not for any Mac users and there will be new bugs introduced. Totally agree with you :(

But I would love for them to prove either one of those statements to be wrong for once. :D

The GUI will look enhanced with new features but thats about it. Seems to be the pattern.

cubace

Post by cubace »

MaestroMetro7 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:12 am
I can't say that an upgrade to Catalina would be a requirement but I think that would be unlikely. But for sure I agree 11 won't be any faster or run better. At least not for any Mac users and there will be new bugs introduced. Totally agree with you :(

But I would love for them to prove either one of those statements to be wrong for once. :D

The GUI will look enhanced with new features but thats about it. Seems to be the pattern.

Code: Select all

OSX version   		nr-supported
cubase 8		10.9	- 10.11			3	
cubase 8.5		10.10	- 10.12 		3
cbase 9			10.11	- 10.12  		2
cubase 9.5 		10.12 	- 10.14  		3
cubase 10		10.12	- 10.15  		3
cubase 10.5		10.14	- 10.15  		2
cubase 11		?	- 10.16	 		?
So depending if Steinberg use 2 or 3 OSX versions it will be 10.14 or 10.15.

cabralstudio

Post by cabralstudio »

Friends,

I decided to downgrade to macOS Sierra and, apparently, the crash problems in this version have been reduced. However, now and then, in closing the project, more precisely, I am "rewarded" (check the attachment) :cry: :

Captura de Tela 2020-05-08 às 12.23.22.png
(230.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
CabralStudio

MaestroMetro7

Post by MaestroMetro7 »

cabralstudio wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:03 pm
Friends,

I decided to downgrade to macOS Sierra and, apparently, the crash problems in this version have been reduced. However, now and then, in closing the project, more precisely, I am "rewarded" (check the attachment) :cry: :
Captura de Tela 2020-05-08 às 12.23.22.png
That screen looks so familiar to me until I forgot it was a screenshot and tried to click the ignore button. :lol:

You could probably try opening Cubase in safe mode. If you want to give that a shot, I'd suggest to open your Project and soon as the Cubase splash screen displays hold down Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-Alt which will give you a screen with options you can try. But remember to "Open Your Project" using that option. Don't directly open Cubase using the option. There's more info on it in this link:

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro/v10.5 ... log_r.html

I've had a little more success selecting the option to disable all third party plugins than with the other options but you can see which option may work best for you. I select that option and just remove all third party plugins from the Project, save and try re-opening normally. It will "usually" work though I've never understood why other DAW's I have will open without any issue with the same plugins. :roll:

For me, its not the most ideal way to stop the crash and get your project open but sometimes its the only way.

I can't work with the DAW at all really because of the crashes taking away from my Production time. I've literally lost hours and sometimes days of work when having to deal with the instability. I've even had sessions that I've spent hours working on without any problems, save them and come back to them on another day and can't get them to open because Cubase will crash every time.

Totally frustrating but Hope safe mode helps you out.

ww28121856

Re: [CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Catolina

Post by ww28121856 »

I really like Cubase, especially the sound quality in playback. Program function.I'm comfortable working in it. I'm used to it. But the new 10.5.12 update has performance issues on Mac os. I had to install Logic Pro, which is without a doubt very stable software on the mac OS platform.In other words, I urge Steinberg developers to monitor our error messages and take urgent action for Mac os owners who use the software professionally. I would really like to go back to Cubase. but at the moment I will have to use Logic Pro.

MaestroMetro7

Post by MaestroMetro7 »

ww28121856 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:54 pm
I really like Cubase, especially the sound quality in playback. Program function.I'm comfortable working in it. I'm used to it. But the new 10.5.12 update has performance issues on Mac os. I had to install Logic Pro, which is without a doubt very stable software on the mac OS platform.In other words, I urge Steinberg developers to monitor our error messages and take urgent action for Mac os owners who use the software professionally. I would really like to go back to Cubase. but at the moment I will have to use Logic Pro.
Feeling the same way.
Using Studio One 4 here now and it has been rock solid and so much more productive for me.
Has so many familiarities with Cubase that there was virtually no learning curve at all.

Jamaldnb

Post by Jamaldnb »

Anyone having any luck with the plugins working/ non spike and pinned out meter?

I just upgraded to 10.5 this week and probably should have checked this thread first lol. I opened a project that was done in 10 and everything was fine until I started addding plug-ins. First I added an Arturia (Melotron V7) synth. The GUI doesn’t open normally, it’s zoomed all the way in to one corner but still plays. The only fix i found is clicking around in the corner until the GUI resizes. This happens with every Arturia soft synth.
Then I started adding UAD plugs (current version) and suddenly the system locks up. Audio continues playing in the background but can’t control anything, have to force quit. Relaunch, this time I try adding Fabfilter ProQ3 and boom, spinning beach ball... have to force quit.
After relaunching, I try opening any plugin and immediately get Audio Process overload maxing out the VST meter and the audio main out meters jump up and down but no audio is playing and nothing is triggered by midi, no playback control, nada.. brick city, but I can still use the menu options so I quit. At this joint I’m trying to add any plugin, synth, FX, etc..nothing works. It launches, press play and the whole system stops responding and the meters flash every second or so. Even if I remove the plugin that was added, nothing is resolved, Cubase must be force quit and relaunched. What’s interesting is that I can reopen the session, hit play and it works, it’s only adding any plugin that causes this chaos now.... and I am unable to add any plugins, instrument or FX.. doesn’t matter manufacturer or type.
I tried opening this same session back in Cubase 10 where it was made had no issues, but it’s now doing the exact same thing as in 10.5.
Anyone have any luck with a stable 10.5? or not having 10.5 infect 10?
I use UAD, Slate, Fabfilter, Izotope, Arturia, NI... etc, none of them are able to be added without something going nuts.
Should I just uninstall and reinstall back to 10? Seems like my system has been corrupted since updating to 10.5 since I am now having issues in 10 (where the session was created)...

Help! I’m pretty frustrated by this situation. Like others previously stated.. I started having issues with the last 10 update, so I decided to upgrade to 10.5 in hopes they resolved some of the bugs.
Mac Pro Trashcan (Late 2013) 6 core 32g 1tb ssd
UA Apollo 8
UA satellite

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

I have replied at one of many your threads.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Ted Perlman

Post by Ted Perlman »

MaestroMetro7 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:09 pm
Using Studio One 4 here now and it has been rock solid and so much more productive for me.
Has so many familiarities with Cubase that there was virtually no learning curve at all.
Um, I've just gotten Presonus' "Studio One 4". It's great, but all the rumours I heard about how it wouldn't be a learning curve for me coming from Nuendo/Cubase are false. I opened it up expecting to be "ready set go". Nope. I opened it up thinking I could open a Nuendo or Cubase song. Nope. I opened it up thinking I could set it up to look just like the way I set up Nuendo/Cubase. Nope. What I really wanted was to see if it could work using the Dark mode on Mac OS Catalina, which doesn't work on Cubase 10.5 or Nuendo 10.3. Never got that far. When I taught record production and demo production at UCLA, I told my students to not keep any software that they couldn't get to at least play a virtual or midi instrument in 15 minutes. I worked on Studio One 4 for almost two hours and never got anything to play. A piano finally played but it wouldn't read my sustain pedal. Unlike Cubase/Nuendo, you can't just select "all midi in", you have to specify what keyboard you're using. Screw that, I use a lot of different keyboards; I don't want to have to manually enter each one when I change. I want to simply plug it in and start. All of this means that there actually is a steep learning curve to Studio One 4, or I'm stupid. Take your choice, either answer is probably correct.
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
Producer-Guitarist-Arranger-Theologian
Nuendo 10.2.20 / Cubase 10.0.60 / Wavelab 9.5
Macbook Pro i7 2017 Quadcore 2.7 16gb ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.5
misterperlman@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/ted.perlman

Return to “Issues”