[CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
cubace

Re: [CAN-26328] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

Post by cubace »

Musicmould wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:20 am
I have had a lot of graphics problems, crashes and beach balls with 10.5 but a fair amount has actually been plugin-related.
After realising this I have been able to resume working in 10.5. :)

Oeksound Soothe = turn off OpenGL in the plugin prefs otherwise beach ball party will ensue in Cubase 10.5.
Empirical Labs Arousor = downgrade from 2.2 to 2.1 or it's highly likely to crash in Cubase 10.5. According to Empirical Labs 2.2 isn't stable. Somewhat weird since I couldn't find anything on ther webpage about it. :roll:
XLN Audio XO = Don't use it in Cubase 10.5 until the next bug fix. Major bug causing constant beach balling when rendering audio. I reported the bug in the beginning of December and according to their support a bug fix is now imminent.
Softube Console 1 = Major graphics bug/issue in 10.5. Avoid using until bug fix arrives from Softube and/or Steinberg. Softube is working on it but couldn't give me any info on how soon. They recommended me to downgrade to Console 1 2.4.74:75 (which is 32-bit) until further notice.

I still have some weird graphics issues. The playhead disappears from time to time which of course is annoying but at least I am able to work. Depending on what hardware configuration you have, the result of the above actions might vary, but for me it has solved the worst problems.
Still Softube does not work. However it does not in 10.0 either so I so it is Softube. And I dont think it is related to Console 1. I have hanged Softube GUI on plugins only. (And Softube Support says that it is not supported, and ignore that it is hanged)

The Sarj

Re: [CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

Post by The Sarj »

I just want to say a massive thank you to Ed Doll and Fabio Bartolini for all their support with my issues.

I upgraded to 10.5 when it was released and had issues straight away. The timing of the issues starting with the upgrade to 10.5 made me think it couldn't be anything else at all. Every update and hotfix didn't fix it. I was on here looking for advice and even dissing cubase to be honest.

To my complete embarrassment the issue was caused by the fan in my mac disconnecting itself. Cubase had not even caused me an issue.

Ed a nd Fabio went above and beyond to help me. In future I will be checking my hardware before blaming cubase on the forums. I'd also like to thank Steven Gravelle from the Facebook groups for his help too.

Cubase 10.5 and the support from the guys and Facebook group is further proof that cubase is the best and I will be sticking by it. Apple.... Not so much!
studiosarj@gmail.com

Recording, Mixing, Mastering

Cubase 10.5, Mac Mini i7 quad 2.3 2012, 16gb ram. Steinberg UR824, Various plugs and outboard gear.

jamesn81

Post by jamesn81 »

Also finding a number of the Sound Radix plugins with very laggy interfaces when in use.

Basically any plugin that visually tracks things like drum hits or whatever is causing the Cubase curser to be basically stationary and the visual display on the plugins is terribly laggy.

10.5.12 here.

cubace

Post by cubace »

I also can confirm that the "original" problem is still there. The sluggishness very similar to 10.5.0 release. However harder to reproduce. To narrow it down, the shortest path I have found out. I was open a test project to test out some brainworx plugin. So I added the new plugin to master channel. Fiddling with QC and moving plugins up and down on a almost "full" master. Maybe only 2-3 plugins active though. Then I got very low graphics frame rate and the clock on my MCU was also lagging. (This is on 10.5.12, mojave)

cubace

Post by cubace »

One interesting indicator of this problem is using Fabfilter Pro-L2. When it get graphical under-runs it is shown in the graphs. For example Sonnox and Slate plugins "cost" a lot more than Waves and Softube on my tests.

Jsingra

Post by Jsingra »

Edited: I have to edit this post 3rd time. Something weird ongoing, it is the same issue. cant work on Cubase. Even all channels are disabled, still Average load is high under Audio performance. I even tried to disable Control room and enable it back- Beach ball appears. Anyone here facing same initial problem?

NOTE: I have all genuine 64 bit plugins.
Last edited by Jsingra on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 10.5.12 Pro
Absolute 4
Macbook Pro 13-inch Early 2015, 2.7ghz, Dual-Core Intel Corei5 8GB RAM
macOS Mojave ver 10.14.6
Focusrite2i2, Arturia Minilab

Jsingra

Post by Jsingra »

cubace wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:06 am
I also can confirm that the "original" problem is still there. The sluggishness very similar to 10.5.0 release. However harder to reproduce. To narrow it down, the shortest path I have found out. I was open a test project to test out some brainworx plugin. So I added the new plugin to master channel. Fiddling with QC and moving plugins up and down on a almost "full" master. Maybe only 2-3 plugins active though. Then I got very low graphics frame rate and the clock on my MCU was also lagging. (This is on 10.5.12, mojave)
I am getting original issue with Fabfilter Pro Q3. Not sure if it is EQ or Cubase issue.
Cubase 10.5.12 Pro
Absolute 4
macOS Mojave ver 10.14.6

Ivochkin

Post by Ivochkin »

Getting beachball issue with Prawave Rapid 1.7 when OpenGL gui render mode is selected in plugin
MacBook Pro 15 - 2016 touchbar

Jsingra

Post by Jsingra »

It looks like only issue is with my macbook or plugins as always the case with Cubase users. Whatever it is, my perception about the product is changing . Whole product(10.5.12) seems to be workaround to me . How can a company charges money for an update which is useless for months ? I have installed C10 again and it is working perfectly. No glitches/Audio performance issues with fabfilter plugin. I will see if i can complete my project.
Cubase 10.5.12 Pro
Absolute 4
macOS Mojave ver 10.14.6

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

Jsingra, did you check this article? https://www.fabfilter.com/support/faq/# ... y-computer

The issue discussed in this thread was a slow down due to a memory leak in the new UI back-end, your issue is elsewhere.
Please also have a look at any OpenGL accelarated plugin: that is where most of the C10.5 specific UI issues (and subsequent audio performance) are, due to Cubase being built on the Mojave SDK. If C10 is working fine, that is the area to look at.

Jsingra

Post by Jsingra »

Fabio Bartolini wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:04 am
Jsingra, did you check this article? https://www.fabfilter.com/support/faq/# ... y-computer

The issue discussed in this thread was a slow down due to a memory leak in the new UI back-end, your issue is elsewhere.
Please also have a look at any OpenGL accelarated plugin: that is where most of the C10.5 specific UI issues (and subsequent audio performance) are, due to Cubase being built on the Mojave SDK. If C10 is working fine, that is the area to look at.
Hi Fabio, Thanks for your response. Same symptoms were discussed on this forum so i continued to write here. I agree my issue is on Catalina now but symptoms are same.
I did search forum for fabfilter plugin issue in forums but did not anything related to the link you provided. I disabled graphic acceleration for fabfilter plugin but no change. I disabled all Fabfilter eqs on almost all channels but still Audio performance peaks after couple of mins.C10 is very fine, atleast i can work.

I am checking other plugins and feedback here after i complete.

Cheers.
Cubase 10.5.12 Pro
Absolute 4
macOS Mojave ver 10.14.6

Jsingra

Post by Jsingra »

Jsingra wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:49 am
Fabio Bartolini wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:04 am

Hi Fabio, Thanks for your response. Same symptoms were discussed on this forum so i continued to write here. I agree my issue is on Catalina now but symptoms are same.
I did search forum for fabfilter plugin issue in forums but did not anything related to the link you provided. I disabled graphic acceleration for fabfilter plugin but no change. I disabled all Fabfilter eqs on almost all channels but still Audio performance peaks after couple of mins.C10 is very fine, atleast i can work.

I am checking other plugins and feedback here after i complete.

Cheers.
I could not find except Fabfilter Pro Q3. I have disabled graphic acceleration for it. I will look into this tomorrow. thanks.
Cubase 10.5.12 Pro
Absolute 4
macOS Mojave ver 10.14.6

Jsingra

Post by Jsingra »

Hi Fabio,

I have started working today and i could not work in even C10. Same problem. Now its happening continuously. Its strange C10 was working fine yesterday , today both C10 & 10.5 have issues. This is the same original problem that used to happen just after 10.5 release and fixed in very first update. I did provide my sample project to Steinberg support to fix this issue. If this is not that problem then symptoms are same. In any case, i cannot work on Cubase. I have attached clip here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvhgp5xewom9a ... 3.mov?dl=0

Thanks,
Jay
Cubase 10.5.12 Pro
Absolute 4
macOS Mojave ver 10.14.6

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

Hello,

the CPU is completely maxed out, but I cannot see if there are any monitoring or record-enabled tracks, at least to see how abnormal that is.
Maybe you could keep an eye on the Activity Monitor and see if you can spot any CPU-heavy processes.

Please, also provide the computer specs to support.

Jsingra

Post by Jsingra »

Fabio Bartolini wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:25 am
Hello,

the CPU is completely maxed out, but I cannot see if there are any monitoring or record-enabled tracks, at least to see how abnormal that is.
Maybe you could keep an eye on the Activity Monitor and see if you can spot any CPU-heavy processes.

Please, also provide the computer specs to support.
I went back to 10.5.12 and found "Black Box Analog Design HG-2"(Plugin Alliance )on my masterchain showed decrease in AudioPerformance meter when i disabled it. I have disabled all instances of this plugin and there are no more glitches but Audio meter shows some usage even if Cubase is idle. I have attached the pic. I checked Activity meter during playback, it is Cubase consuming 154% followed by "Windowsserver".
I have attached my macbook specs as well.

I will raise support ticket if i face issue again.

Thanks.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 23.57.10.png
(19.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 23.48.36.png
(23.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cubase 10.5.12 Pro
Absolute 4
macOS Mojave ver 10.14.6

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

This specific problem has been mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, you should find a few posts about it.
Did you already check if VST2 or VST3 a difference, as well as the impact of the "Suspend VST3 plug-in processing" preference?

NoiseCo

Post by NoiseCo »

Fabio Bartolini wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:09 pm
This specific problem has been mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, you should find a few posts about it.
Did you already check if VST2 or VST3 a difference, as well as the impact of the "Suspend VST3 plug-in processing" preference?
I tested this this on 10.5.12 and it seems like unchecking "Suspend VST3 plug-in processing" helps mitigate the CPU overloads. Video demonstration with Black Box HG-2 below:
https://youtu.be/JYxKE5ykEWo

However, I do think a bug fix is necessary because the plugin still works normally in 10.0.40 with or without "Suspend VST3 plug-in processing" checked.

Jsingra

Post by Jsingra »

Fabio Bartolini wrote:
Thanks Fabio. I read the posts. There is something going on. hope we will get it fixed at the earliest. I did try "Suspend VST3 plug-in processing" but it did not make any difference. I am confused since few days back, C10.5.12 was running ok. I have started clean installation. I hope it is the not the Apple machine pulling the strings ;)
Cubase 10.5.12 Pro
Absolute 4
macOS Mojave ver 10.14.6

Jsingra

Post by Jsingra »

NoiseCo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:33 am
Fabio Bartolini wrote:
I tested this this on 10.5.12 and it seems like unchecking "Suspend VST3 plug-in processing" helps mitigate the CPU overloads. Video demonstration with Black Box HG-2 below:
https://youtu.be/JYxKE5ykEWo

However, I do think a bug fix is necessary because the plugin still works normally in 10.0.40 with or without "Suspend VST3 plug-in processing" checked.
Thanks Mate, I did fresh installation but no improvement. In my case, unchecking "Suspend VST3 plug-in processing" increases more CPU load :) . BTW enjoyed watching your youtube channel. Quality stuff exist out there.
Cubase 10.5.12 Pro
Absolute 4
macOS Mojave ver 10.14.6

absolute-music

Post by absolute-music »

Hi guys, just to let you know...
I have the same issues her on my Win10 PC, especially when running 2 or more instances of BlackBox (PlugIn Alliance),
seems not only a problem for Mac users:(
Cubase Pro 10.0.60
Win10 Home(64bit)
Studio PC: i7-8700 k, 16GB DDR4, Asus TUF Z370-Pro
RME Fireface UC, MotU 8Pre

dyrec

Post by dyrec »

Same here, I updated to 10.5.12 in hope to have the cpu overload issue fixed but it still occures.
It happens mostly with plugin alliance VSTs.
I run MacOS 0.14.6 (18G3020) Mojave on a Mac mini server 2.3GHz i7 and 16Gb of RAM.
Cubase Pro 10.5.12 | MacOS 0.14.6 (18G3020) Mojave | Mac mini server 2.3GHz i7 & 16Go RAM

Trist

Post by Trist »

Not sure where to put this but since using 10.5.12 there have been some strange occasional issues with plugins loading up disabled and will not turn on or show the bypass button. This happened to crave eq and fabfilter eq on just one song. Other eq’s Would work and crave and fabfilter would work fine on another different song. Also currently my sonarworks ref 4 and nugen sigmod are disabled in my control room panel. There is no way to remove them as no drop down menu is available. However I am able to instantiate the same 2 plugins further up the console! Very strange. I managed to once get rid of the sonarworks by trashing the control room plugins, upgraded to latest version and was working fine. But now in this position...Very strange.

Also I am finding on many songs if opening the last version for example version 005 Cubase will crash straight away, but if I open the first version 001, I can then open recent (005) and activate project and all is fine??

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks :)
MacBook Pro late 2013, Mojave 10.14.6 ,Cubase 10.5.20, Wavelab 10.030 UAD Thunderbolt Apollo 16, 8 & Octo satellite
CC121, Houston 6 other sequencers..

cubace

Post by cubace »

dyrec wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:47 am
Same here, I updated to 10.5.12 in hope to have the cpu overload issue fixed but it still occures.
It happens mostly with plugin alliance VSTs.
I run MacOS 0.14.6 (18G3020) Mojave on a Mac mini server 2.3GHz i7 and 16Gb of RAM.
There was an update about a month ago from PA regarding their VST3 and small buffer problems.
What version are you using?

oliver07

Post by oliver07 »

1.png
(226.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2.png
(203.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
3.png
(219.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I have average load increasing when Waves DBX160 compressor is added to inserts slot. This happens with other plugins too but with this particular effect it´s most striking. Project in the pictures has only 1 mono track and nothing else. Don´t think its normal...?
Cubase 10.5.20
WaveLab 10.0.3
OS Mojave 10.14.6
iMac 27-inch Late 2009, 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 Gb 1333 MHz DDR3
Presonus Firestudio Project

Krubbadoo

Post by Krubbadoo »

FYI, I've finally done the update today from 10.0.40 to 10.5.12 on a Mac Mini 6 core i7@3.2ghz with 32 GB RAM. System is 10.14.5.
I've tested every plugin and VST owned and opened a few sessions. So far so good. Every plugin and VST is at latest version. I didn't take the time to test the Memory leak but I am quite happy so far. Nothing different CPU-wise (spikes, more Load etc...).

Return to “Issues”