Cubase 10 extreme real time peaks

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
Milkman76

Re: Cubase 10 extreme real time peaks

Post by Milkman76 »

Gliese581g wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:28 am
Milkman76 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:46 pm
Did you try disabling all virtual cores in your BIOS? Try that, and also make sure nothing is over clocked or over-voltage.
Make sure 64bit processing precision is enabled in Cubase, and make sure ASIO guard is on. Try low/med/high guard settings in Cubase. The thing that made the single largest difference for me was disabling virtual cores.
I have ASIO Guard at maximum level and 64 bit float enabled, but my laptop BIOS doesn't show an option to disable virtual cores (or I didn't find it). It's a Toshiba Tecra , i7 CPU , 2.9GHz, from 2012. It has served me very well for MIDI/audio synchronized with video... until Cubase10, that is... But as I said in my previous post, the problem seems to be related to CPU overheating... :(
Definitely get those temps down, yeah. Also try to find your hyperthreading options if you can.
Pinned post:
Steinberg wants you to know that hyperthreading(virtual cores) in cubase does not work on a variety of hardware platforms, but also does not want to lose any revenue, so is hiding and obfuscating the issue on their forums and allowing pro-brand accounts to create arguments and fighting between angry customers and themselves. TURN OFF hyperthreading, and your ASIO realtime spikes usually go away.

lahatte

Post by lahatte »

My PC has 4 cores. If I disable hyperthreading my high cpu use project seems to drop out audio more often. I had to re-enable hyperthreading to get the project to play enough to do a little work on it.
Cubase, Windows 10, 64Gb RAM

Milkman76

Post by Milkman76 »

HT isn't the only issue, and different platforms experience it differently. It sounds like you have a bottleneck or issue elsewhere, such as background stuff like a/v, audio interface driver, etc. Should probably use the latencymon to get a better look at it. Have you analyzed your windows processes while this is going on? See anything funny outside Cubase? Any overclocking or nonstandard cpu, voltage, memory settings in BIOS?
Pinned post:
Steinberg wants you to know that hyperthreading(virtual cores) in cubase does not work on a variety of hardware platforms, but also does not want to lose any revenue, so is hiding and obfuscating the issue on their forums and allowing pro-brand accounts to create arguments and fighting between angry customers and themselves. TURN OFF hyperthreading, and your ASIO realtime spikes usually go away.

lahatte

Post by lahatte »

I might try disabling the onboard audio interface. And I'll look into the Latencymon.

Thanks.

Gliese581g

Post by Gliese581g »

Milkman76 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:53 am
Gliese581g wrote:
Milkman76 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:46 pm
Did you try disabling all virtual cores in your BIOS? Try that, and also make sure nothing is over clocked or over-voltage.
Make sure 64bit processing precision is enabled in Cubase, and make sure ASIO guard is on. Try low/med/high guard settings in Cubase. The thing that made the single largest difference for me was disabling virtual cores.
I have ASIO Guard at maximum level and 64 bit float enabled, but my laptop BIOS doesn't show an option to disable virtual cores (or I didn't find it). It's a Toshiba Tecra , i7 CPU , 2.9GHz, from 2012. It has served me very well for MIDI/audio synchronized with video... until Cubase10, that is... But as I said in my previous post, the problem seems to be related to CPU overheating... :(
Definitely get those temps down, yeah. Also try to find your hyperthreading options if you can.
Hi again!... Actually I'm not so sure anymore that (in my case) the problem was due to high temperature... I went back (once again) to win7 and the CPU temperature was as high as in win10 (80ºC!!!!), yet Cubase worked without crazy CPU peaks of 100%!...I can't find the possible culprits anymore... it's completely unpredictable! it's probably due to more than one factor, and even when not jumping and peaking up to 100% the CPU meter always shows more than 3 times higher in win10 than in win7 with the exact same project. The only difference is that I have Cubase 10.0.30 in windows7 and Cubase 10.0.50 (and 10.0.60 before going back to .0.50) in win10. I can't find my 10.0.30 so that I can try it in win10, and couldn't find it any longer on the Steinberg site. Can anyone give me a link to version 10.0.30?... maybe on the Steinberg ftp?... Thanks in advance.
Toshiba Tecra i7 laptop, dual boot win10/win7, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Cubase 10.0.x
Novation ReMote SL-61, etc, etc...

Milkman76

Post by Milkman76 »

Yeah I had a feeling there would be more to your story. 80c is pretty hot, but Ive had old systems occasionally hit those temps due to poor cooling and they were rock solid, even running cubase.

As far as I understand it, there is an issue that involves both major OS vendors as well as Intel, to do with a multithreading scheduler and multi-threaded multi-media applications that run inside those operating systems.

The issue seems to affect some, but not all modern X and K series CPUs that use Hyperthreading. (I dont have confirmation that any of this happens to AMD or any other HW/SW profiles). In some cases, the symptoms of the issue can mirror the symptoms of other system configuration issues, and steinberg and some users on these forums seem to always choose the *other* issues to troubleshoot first, and come to the multi-core issue last.
Pinned post:

Gliese581g

Post by Gliese581g »

I'm using a Toshiba Tecra (it was the top business model when I bought it back in 2012 when I saw it being recommended by someone at the KVRaudio forum). It's a 2.9 GHz i7 that shows 4 cores, but I think it's really 2 cores virtualized to 4. It doesn't have any option to disable hyperthreading, though, not even in the BIOS.
Anyway, Cubase10 has much better performance on Windows7 than on win10, so I doubt it is a hyperthreading problem in this case -- I wouldn't be so worried about this if I hadn't read here on the Steinberg forums that from cubase11 onwards they will stop supporting win7... :?
Toshiba Tecra i7 laptop, dual boot win10/win7, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Cubase 10.0.x

Scab Pickens

Post by Scab Pickens »

Gliese581g wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:34 pm
I'm using a Toshiba Tecra (it was the top business model when I bought it back in 2012 when I saw it being recommended by someone at the KVRaudio forum). It's a 2.9 GHz i7 that shows 4 cores, but I think it's really 2 cores virtualized to 4. It doesn't have any option to disable hyperthreading, though, not even in the BIOS.
Anyway, Cubase10 has much better performance on Windows7 than on win10, so I doubt it is a hyperthreading problem in this case -- I wouldn't be so worried about this if I hadn't read here on the Steinberg forums that from cubase11 onwards they will stop supporting win7... :?
Windows 7 is already not supported.

viewtopic.php?f=283&t=166644
Windows 10 | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 8 | Dorico 3 SE | Focusrite Pro 40

Gliese581g

Post by Gliese581g »

Scab Pickens wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:48 pm
Windows 7 is already not supported.
viewtopic.php?f=283&t=166644
I Know that!
As I said before, my Cubase Artist 10 works OK in Windows7, but NOT ok on win10, in the VERY SAME laptop (dual boot). The only difference is I have Cubase 10.0.30 in win7 and 10.0.60 in win10. I can't find my 10.0.30 update and it's no longer available in the Steinberg site, so I've been unable to roll back to 10.0.30 on win10. Can somebody give me a download link to the 10.0.30 version, so that I can try it on win10 and check if it performs better?... Thanks!

Milkman76

Post by Milkman76 »

Hyperthreading implementation on windows 10 vs windows 7. Win10 contains multimedia multi-threading limitations that don't benefit pro audio apps, and there is also some sort of scheduler issue. Win7 does not have the multimedia thread limits. If you Google and do research outside the steinberg forums you find references to this.
Pinned post:

lahatte

Post by lahatte »

Regarding the Windows 10 and multimedia threads limit, I ran across this...

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... CPU-setups

Milkman76

Post by Milkman76 »

lahatte wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:11 am
Regarding the Windows 10 and multimedia threads limit, I ran across this...

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... CPU-setups
Yeah I saw that article and commented on it in a couple of my threads. Note how it contradicts itself at the top. Is it about cubase 9 and earlier, or 10?

Also -- https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... ASIO-Guard

This one^^ seems to suggest enabling SMT/HT is beneficial in most situations, but so far it does not seem to be the case unless you follow the guidance of the first article and DOWNGRADE your OS.
Pinned post:

pablin_drummer

Post by pablin_drummer »

Gliese581g wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:25 pm
Milkman76 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:53 am
Gliese581g wrote:

Hi again!... Actually I'm not so sure anymore that (in my case) the problem was due to high temperature... I went back (once again) to win7 and the CPU temperature was as high as in win10 (80ºC!!!!), yet Cubase worked without crazy CPU peaks of 100%!...I can't find the possible culprits anymore... it's completely unpredictable! it's probably due to more than one factor, and even when not jumping and peaking up to 100% the CPU meter always shows more than 3 times higher in win10 than in win7 with the exact same project. The only difference is that I have Cubase 10.0.30 in windows7 and Cubase 10.0.50 (and 10.0.60 before going back to .0.50) in win10. I can't find my 10.0.30 so that I can try it in win10, and couldn't find it any longer on the Steinberg site. Can anyone give me a link to version 10.0.30?... maybe on the Steinberg ftp?... Thanks in advance.
Hi, I have this update. Your e-mail? My version is Cubase 10 Pro

Gliese581g

Post by Gliese581g »

pablin_drummer wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:16 am
Hi, I have this update. Your e-mail? My version is Cubase 10 Pro
Hi, Thanks a lot, but I finally found mine!... it was in hard disk that I was using for storage in my old desktop PC. Then some time ago the motherboard had a serious problem, the PC stopped working and I decided to dismantle it completely. It had 3 hard disks inside, and I mixed them up and lost track of what was in which one. Only after mounting one by one in succession in an external eSATA box connected to my laptop was I able to see what was stored in each disk, and in one of them I finally found all my cubase 10 and all the updates from 10.0.20 to 10.0.50. All this just about 1 hour ago, just before I saw your answer here. Now it's almost 04:00 am here, so I'll try to install 10.0.30 tomorrow. But Thanks anyway. :mrgreen:

pablin_drummer

Post by pablin_drummer »

Ok Gliese, I'm glad!!

Return to “Issues”