More Efficient User Workflow Experience Like PT, AL, and other modern DAWs

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
AppleFire

More Efficient User Workflow Experience Like PT, AL, and other modern DAWs

Post by AppleFire »

I am a long time Cubase user and I remember in the past looking forward to the great UI updates that Cubase would implement. Now, Cubase workflow is extremely inefficient compared to other DAWS. DAWs like ProTools and Ableton LIVE have set the standards for the industry. If Cubase can no longer lead the industry, then Cubase should at least make adjustments to keep up with the industry.

In other words, it’s time, and long past due, for Steinberg/Yamaha to upgrade the whole Cubase UI experience so that it is a way more efficient workflow. This would not take much. Just need to add a few critical things to the main edit window like inserts and sends access; tiny meters that work on the channel track, etc. Should all be in one window now.

In addition, and this is a big one, controller lands should work and be editable on top of the audio waveform. This would save tons of time. Not sure why Steinberg/Yamaha is dropping the ball on this. Yamaha?

Steinberg/Yamaha please put money into hiring designers and programmers to revamp the cubase user interface or you will “kill” this DAW. Eventually, you will lose us all by not acting.

Best,

Concerned User

delta

Re: More Efficient User Workflow Experience Like PT, AL, and other modern DAWs

Post by delta »

Steinberg will not lose Me!
just a happy Cubase user. (Yes i know "good for me").

Delta

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

AppleFire wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:10 pm
I am a long time Cubase user and I remember in the past looking forward to the great UI updates that Cubase would implement. Now, Cubase workflow is extremely inefficient compared to other DAWS. DAWs like ProTools and Ableton LIVE have set the standards for the industry. If Cubase can no longer lead the industry, then Cubase should at least make adjustments to keep up with the industry.

In other words, it’s time, and long past due, for Steinberg/Yamaha to upgrade the whole Cubase UI experience so that it is a way more efficient workflow. This would not take much. Just need to add a few critical things to the main edit window like inserts and sends access; tiny meters that work on the channel track, etc. Should all be in one window now.

In addition, and this is a big one, controller lands should work and be editable on top of the audio waveform. This would save tons of time. Not sure why Steinberg/Yamaha is dropping the ball on this. Yamaha?

Steinberg/Yamaha please put money into hiring designers and programmers to revamp the cubase user interface or you will “kill” this DAW. Eventually, you will lose us all by not acting.

Best,

Concerned User
Can you give some specific examples? You wrote a lot, but it's entirely abstract as if Steinberg are to just read your mind and know what it is you are doing in your day to day work. No offense, just offering some input, but I see a lot of people who say what you are saying and then reference Ableton, of which I find the GUI infuriating and clunky.

Sure there are some quirks to each program that have pros over the other, but overall, I would actually say Cubase has better workflow. or the sum of Cubases pros and their effect outweigh the competitions.

Cubase is rooted in organizing things more complicated than itself - like managing complicated MIDI/Synthesizer hardware setups and studios and in an enormous amount of different ways and thus, crams in a lot of things that other DAWS do not. People who are doing typical DAW workflows don't seem to understand why things are the way they are a lot of the time in Cubase. Different worlds. Cubase is as a CAD program is to Dubai architecture. These other DAWs are more like lego blocks where they are aiding the user in building a track that sounds like the track they heard on the radio as quickly as possible.

As soon as Cubase is too much like other program, or it's too much catering to a certain market, or workflow concept... it loses what it's good at. which is everything.... like, a CAD program can design sky scrapers, or car rims... seems some people want it to be good at only designing flashy car rims... or lego blocks. Or another way to put it, Cubase foundation is in a way all the boring utilities in a science laboratory that are essential to conduct whatever kind of experiment you want which is why it was genius for Reason to go VST, and I actually think Ableton will likely go the same way eventually - because these are not actually benchmark applications. If NASA needed a DAW and it was Ableton vs Cubase, they would pick Cubase.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

AppleFire wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:10 pm
This would not take much. Just need to add a few critical things to the main edit window like inserts and sends access; tiny meters that work on the channel track, etc. Should all be in one window now.
That's what everyone says, but they all have different lists of what it "should" take.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

drdrdrdr

Post by drdrdrdr »

+1 for automation lanes on top of the audio part.

dylanmixer

Post by dylanmixer »

Sounds like you just want it to look pretty. Imo the workflow is incredibly advanced, especially compared to DAWs such as Pro Tools. Trust me, I want it to be sexy as much as anybody else. But would still choose it in it's current state over anything else.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”