Separate folder for ".bak" files

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
raino
Grand Senior Member

Re: Separate folder for ".bak" files

Post by raino »

GlennO wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 pm
Out of curiosity, what are you people doing that you have so many .bak files that they are cumbersome? I can see the occasional project having a .bak file in the project folder, but "tons of .bak files"? What the heck are you doing that leads to the creation of all those .bak files?
Well if you have Cubase set to do an auto-backup every six minutes and you limit it to only retaining 10 files that means you can only get back to the last hour's worth of edits etc. If you want 2 hours you need to retain 20. Since the .bak files are insurance of sorts, keeping more backups gives you more coverage.

I have mine set save every 10 minutes to retain 18 copies (aka 3 hours worth) and even so I've had one maybe two times when all of the available backups had the same problem as the main project file. So it is not baseless to retain a bunch of them.

Your risk tolerance may vary.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

GlennO

Post by GlennO »

True, that makes sense.

FWIW, Logic uses a separate backup folder.
Cubase 10, MacOS 10.13, Avid Artist Mix

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Been pondering a workaround for awhile and think there is a good way to do this except I don't know how to do the last step (if possible).

The idea is to use the hidden file attribute in Windows to control visibility to .bak files. If the .bak files are set hidden then you will only see them when Windows Explorer is showing hidden items like this:
Hidden bak files.gif
(293.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet

While you can manually set a file hidden in the file's Properties, you can do a whole disk's worth using the command line prompt. But the limitation/problem with this is changing the attribute only works for the existing files, so newly created .bak files will not have the hidden attribute set. So they will start coming back. To get around this I put the command in a batch file that should be run with Admin privs.

Code: Select all

:: Sets all the Cubase .bak files so they have the Hidden attribute set
:: Change the command from "+" to "-" to clear the Hidden attribute
:: Works on D: disk, change location to where your Cubase Projects are

@ECHO OFF

attrib +h /s D:*.bak

:: PAUSE
You can just execute the "attrib" command at the command line prompt, but the advantage of having it in a file is that you can use Task Scheduler to execute it (just copy the code into a text file with the .bat extension). For first time use, run the file (or command) to hide all existing .bak files. Now the only .bak files you see will be new ones. Using Task Scheduler create a task that runs the batch file at startup. Now you will only see .bak files created after starting the PC - so, not that many, but still some.

To get all the .bak files to always be set hidden even when they are brand new requires changing the Trigger used for the batch file execution in Task Scheduler. This is what I don't know how to do, but I'm under the impression that there are triggers available that can detect changes to a folder that might be a mechanism to run the batch file as needed. If so the script should be changed so that instead of changing a whole disk it only changes files in that specific folder.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

TSJuS

Post by TSJuS »

Deleted my post.

(Did not look at subsequent posts on the next page, where pretty much the same comment was made by raino).
LG, Juergi
________________________________________________________________________________________
Cubase 10 Pro - Win10 x64 - Yamaha 01x (mod) - Korg SP-250 - M-Audio Axiom Pro - Studiologic MP117

avviano

Backing up Cubase Project files automatically

Post by avviano »

You could also use software (see app links below) that monitors folders and automatically handles new files according to a set of rules. So you could have the app monitor your project folder and recognize new bak files being created in any of your project folders, rename or append them (eg. with time and date stamp) and move them to another folder.

One possible setup: 1.) have the app monitor the parent project folder with all subfolders, 2.) set it up to recognize any new bak files created (in any subfolder - so you only need to set it up once), 3.) have it append the files with a time stamp and 4.) move them all to one central backup folder.

That way, all your project backups are in one folder (alphabetically according to the original project name - with time stamp or whatever else you want to add). If you choose to add time stamp, make sure to follow the pattern YEAR-MONTH-DAY-HOUR-MIN, that way all files in your central BAK folder can then be sorted alphabetically according to project name first, then year, then month, then day aso.

At the end, you will have all the bak files from all projects and all different stages of your project all in one folder, plus: any new BAKs created in the initial folder will not be overwritten. You could take this a lot further (backing up the backup folder aso).

One such app is DropIt and it is free (open source / WIN).

I personally also use another free tool from Microsoft (SyncToy) to mirror my entire project folder to another (slower and cheaper) HDD on a weekly basis. That's an extra level of backup-security (no sync, just A>B mirror).

App Links

Six different WIN Apps for file management: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/automatic ... s-windows/
Microsoft SyncToy 2.1 (free): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=15155

I am sure, there are MAC equivalents you can google (one is such app is Hazel from Noodlesoft). Just google "noodle" (;
Nuendo 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Absolute Collection 4 (Halion 6). UR-824, Yamaha HS7 W, Yamaha Subwoofer, Lorenz Acoustic Studio F1-80 (1979!), Cubase Midi / Key Command Controller: Stream Deck XL. Programmable studio mouse: Roccat Tyon.

Win 10, i7-4790 CPU, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 970.

Songs: https://soundcloud.com/avviano/tracks

gs-dk

Post by gs-dk »

Please - why not?

Jorge Ruiz

Post by Jorge Ruiz »

I appreciate the workarounds but, honestly, why should we complicate things this way with third party apps and services running in the background, when all we are asking is the ability to define a custom folder? It could be a single line in Preferences.
PC i7 5960x 8 cores | 16 GB RAM | MSI X99A SLI Plus | Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Focusrite Clarett OctoPre | Behringer ADA8200 | Steinberg CC121 | Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 10 | Komplete 12 | Waves | Soundtoys | Oberheim Matrix 1000 | IK UNO Synth | Korg TR-Rack | Alesis S4 Plus | Zoom 9010 | Roland GP-8

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Jorge Ruiz wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 am
I appreciate the workarounds but, honestly, why should we complicate things this way with third party apps and services running in the background, when all we are asking is the ability to define a custom folder? It could be a single line in Preferences.
For the simple reason that the capability isn't currently available. Maybe in the future this FR will result in this feature being added - or maybe not (plenty of examples of that for sure). And even if it does, that tends to take awhile to occur - i.e. historically it takes a long time between request and feature.

In the meantime (or maybe forever) your choices are a workaround or nothing - sorry, but that's it.
rodger

Jorge Ruiz

Post by Jorge Ruiz »

As I said, I truly appreciate that some of you offered your help and proposed alternative solutions. My comment was addressed to Steinberg only.
PC i7 5960x 8 cores | 16 GB RAM | MSI X99A SLI Plus | Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Focusrite Clarett OctoPre | Behringer ADA8200 | Steinberg CC121 | Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 10 | Komplete 12 | Waves | Soundtoys | Oberheim Matrix 1000 | IK UNO Synth | Korg TR-Rack | Alesis S4 Plus | Zoom 9010 | Roland GP-8

reztes

Post by reztes »

Yes!
A folder for backups and a folder for renders.

AUDIO
IMAGES
TRACK PICTURES
RENDERS
BACKUPS

Something like that.

mart

Post by mart »

reztes wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:01 am
Yes!

AUDIO
IMAGES
TRACK PICTURES
RENDERS
BACKUPS

Something like that.
+1
Windows 10 Build 1909 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 10.5, Dorico 3 UAD-2 PCIe (1 x OCTO & 1 x Quad ), Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 with 32gb Slave PC.

josquinleprez

Post by josquinleprez »

Jorge Ruiz wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 am
AGREE!

josquinleprez

Post by josquinleprez »

reztes wrote:
Yes!

AUDIO
IMAGES
TRACK PICTURES
RENDERS
BACKUPS

Something like that.
Yes, that would be so nice. What a clutter, all those .bak files!

mcjddotca

Post by mcjddotca »

Created a batch file to hide extension (.BAK) in all project folders

NoOneSleeps

Post by NoOneSleeps »

+1

Musicmould

Post by Musicmould »

+1
iMac Pro | 64Gb Ram | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB | macOS 10.14.6 | Cubase Pro 10.5.20 | Luna | Pro Tools | Ableton Live | Logic Pro X | Studio One | Melodyne Studio | Revoice Pro | VSL Pro | UAD Apollo 8p+16 | 2xUAD Octo | Softube Console 1 | Motu Midi Express XT | Various drummachines, microphones, hardware synths & fx and way too many plugins |

"Without music, life would be a mistake".

dream

Post by dream »

+1

init_1

Post by init_1 »

+1

avviano

Post by avviano »

+1
Nuendo 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Absolute Collection 4 (Halion 6). UR-824, Yamaha HS7 W, Yamaha Subwoofer, Lorenz Acoustic Studio F1-80 (1979!), Cubase Midi / Key Command Controller: Stream Deck XL. Programmable studio mouse: Roccat Tyon.

Win 10, i7-4790 CPU, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 970.

Songs: https://soundcloud.com/avviano/tracks

EasternNomad

Post by EasternNomad »

Arionas wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:21 pm
Separate folder for ".bak" files
Perhaps it doesn't seem as such an important feature but it would clear up a lot the song project folder.

A 2nd one new feature should be when exporting the final mix, Cubase will create automatically a new folder for this case inside the generic folder of the working project, instead of placing it inside the "Audio" folder with all the audio tracks.

I think these 2 things could speed up the workflow significantly.
+1 !!!!

ozinga

Post by ozinga »

reztes wrote:
Yes!

AUDIO
IMAGES
TRACK PICTURES
RENDERS
BACKUPS

Something like that.
+1
And SAMPLER TRACK FILES please :)

n0xin

Post by n0xin »

+1

nexis

Post by nexis »

+1
Cubase 10.5 PRO, Steinberg MR816 CSX (2 of them), Windows 10 Pro, i7 Processor, 24 gigs of RAM, 3 Separate TB Drives, BluRay Burner Dual Monitors

Christopher Drake

Post by Christopher Drake »

+1!!!
Cubase Pro 10.5.20 / 2019 Mac Pro 16 core / 128gb ram / Catalina 10.15.4 / UAD Apollo x6 interface

currentsound

Post by currentsound »

It does make sense. What about backwards compatibility though? I guess their just backup files, backwards compatibility probably isn't such a big deal.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”