Separate folder for ".bak" files

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
Arionas

Post by Arionas »

Perhaps it doesn't seem as such an important feature but it would clear up a lot the song project folder.

A 2nd one new feature should be when exporting the final mix, Cubase will create automatically a new folder for this case inside the generic folder of the working project, instead of placing it inside the "Audio" folder with all the audio tracks.

I think these 2 things could speed up the workflow significantly.
Cubase Pro 10.5 - Wavelab 10 - Nuendo 4 - Reaper 5 - Pro Tools 12 - Logic X - Harrison Mixbus
Mac Pro 2010, 3.33 x2, 12 cores - High Sierra - RME Fireface 802

jordikt

Re: Separate folder for ".bak" files

Post by jordikt »

+1 for a ".bak" folder !!!

Tj99

Post by Tj99 »

+1

for sure a nice to have!
Recording - Mixing - Mastering

pgstudio

Post by pgstudio »

+1

dmbaer

Post by dmbaer »

+1 - great idea that would make keeping the project tidy *much* easier.
David Baer

Hardware: Intel I7 4-core hyper-threaded; 8M RAM; Dual hard drives; Roland Quad Capture
DAW: Cubase 7.5 64-bit (and SONAR X2 64-bit)
Synths and effects: More than I care to contemplate, but only the 64-bit stuff ever gets used

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham »

+1
Backing stuff up needs an overhaul. It should be as easy as saving a project with a key command. Cubase should remember the location so when we use the 'Back up project' key command it's just done. Having to navigate to the backup folder every time is slow.
If anyone could tell me what is with the 'This folder should be empty' thing. I tried backing something up into the same folder twice and it wouldn't let me.
Cubase Pro 10.5.20, i7 9800x @ 4.2GHz, 128GB RAM, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Geforce GTX 1060

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

J Buckingham wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:31 am
+1
Backing stuff up needs an overhaul. It should be as easy as saving a project with a key command. Cubase should remember the location so when we use the 'Back up project' key command it's just done. Having to navigate to the backup folder every time is slow.
If anyone could tell me what is with the 'This folder should be empty' thing. I tried backing something up into the same folder twice and it wouldn't let me.
Perhaps if it were an option, but I often back up to a new folder many times for each project.

jordikt

Post by jordikt »

I work with mac.
The main problem I have with bak files is that when I open the project folder, I have several bak files ast the top of the folder, and the cpr file is below the bak files.
As the computer orders the file alphabetically, cpr file is always the last file, after the bak files.

That's a non-sense order, of course, because the main file is located at the end. It's tedy job always go with key board to the last one.

So a dedicated folder for bak files is a good solution.

Also it could be a solution (for me) to change the extenxion from .bak to.xbak
This change would make that cpr is at the top of the list of files inside the project fodler.

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

You have an OS hotkey to cue the current open folder search

jordikt

Post by jordikt »

lovegames wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:28 am
You have an OS hotkey to cue the current open folder search
wich one??

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

on pc it's ctrl+f or F3

UaTem

Post by UaTem »

+1
Regards,
Artem

P.S. My English may not be perfect (but I try really hard)

dmbaer

Post by dmbaer »

I would like to add an additional suggestion to this. Make it so that if there is no backup folder when CB needs it, one is created automatically. That way, we could just delete the folder in a single operation without worrying about future consequences.
David Baer

Hardware: Intel I7 4-core hyper-threaded; 8M RAM; Dual hard drives; Roland Quad Capture
Synths and effects: More than I care to contemplate, but only the 64-bit stuff ever gets used

Evertone

Post by Evertone »

+1

Great and necessary ideas to keep projects more organized.
Cubase Pro 10.5
Mojave 10.14.6
iMac i7 - 32gb ram
Apogee Symphony IO

avviano

Post by avviano »

Great Idea! +1
Nuendo 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Absolute Collection 4 (Halion 6). UR-824, Yamaha HS7 W, Yamaha Subwoofer, Lorenz Acoustic Studio F1-80 (1979!), Cubase Midi / Key Command Controller: Stream Deck XL. Programmable studio mouse: Roccat Tyon.

Win 10, i7-4790 CPU, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 970.

Songs: https://soundcloud.com/avviano/tracks

Ed Shearmur

Post by Ed Shearmur »

Agree 100%

TSJuS

Post by TSJuS »

+1

Found a workaround, which works quite OK for a similar purpose:

"Saved Windows Search". It is a Windows Explorer functionality.

How to:
- Open Explorer window in project directory, where all the file are, which have the extension .cpr .bak .npr and also many folders.

- Enter search criteria in top right corner of Explorer window and execute: E.g. *.cpr for Cubase (or *.npr for Nuendo or *.?pr for both)
(You will see only files with this extension)

- Push the Explorer button "Save Search". The button is not always directly visible. So you might have to search for it.

- This button saves the search as a file with the extension .search-ms. Usually it is in the folder "Searches" within your "USER" folder.
(It is possible, that the folder differs between Windows 7 and Windows 10.)

- Then copy this file e.g. onto your desktop and rename as you like. The file extension has to be kept.

- Now just double click this file and it will open an Explorer window only showing Cubase and/or Nuendo project files. Folders and .bak files are not shown.

Details on the HowTo can be found here: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5316/ho ... windows-7/

Perhaps this workaround gives you some relief. ;-)

LG, Juergi
LG, Juergi
________________________________________________________________________________________
Cubase 10 Pro - Win10 x64 - Yamaha 01x (mod) - Korg SP-250 - M-Audio Axiom Pro - Studiologic MP117

romil

Post by romil »

+1

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

While you all wait for this feature to be implemented, you might want to take a look at this
viewtopic.php?f=250&t=141471#p920246
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

dmbaer

Post by dmbaer »

raino wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:38 pm
While you all wait for this feature to be implemented, you might want to take a look at this
OK, I think that thread is about something a little different. I have been assuming here that we are talking about a Backup directory placed where the backup files are currently placed and having backup files now placed one level down in that new directory. I would certainly not want to see the backups saved anywhere outside the project. The backup files would definitely still be strongly associated with the project, but now simply grouped in their own folder.
David Baer

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

dmbaer wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 pm
raino wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:38 pm
OK, I think that thread is about something a little different. I have been assuming here that we are talking about a Backup directory placed where the backup files are currently placed and having backup files now placed one level down in that new directory. I would certainly not want to see the backups saved anywhere outside the project. The backup files would definitely still be strongly associated with the project, but now simply grouped in their own folder.
Yes, that's exactly what has been requested for many years (and also in the linked thread). But until that is implemented, if ever, both the .cpr and .bak files are stored in the same folder. This makes it hard to find the .cpr needle in the .bak haystack. That is how things currently stand. Within that existing environment using the grouping features in the OS improves the ability to visually separate the two types of files. Or folks can continue looking for needles in haystacks if they prefer.

The topic of backups always seems to generate some confusion in these forums because the word "backup' is used in two similar but unrelated contexts. One is the periodic automatic saving of the Project as a .bak file. The other context is when using the Backup Project feature, which is more like 'create a brand new project based on this one' than a true backup where you archive something that you can restore later if needed. This last kind of true backup is best done at the OS level using system backup tools.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

avviano

Post by avviano »

Cant be so difficult for Steinberg to create an option in preferences where users can determine where backups are stored. Every other app in the world I know off, lets users choose storage locations. I am sure it will come. The way it stands now, it will only tempt users (like me) to turn of the feature alltogether, just to get rid of the clutter in the main project window, and that really defeats the whole purpose of backups, doesnt it? So a tip to Steinberg, just create a new option and we won't have to discuss this matter in the future anymore. Case closed (;
Nuendo 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Absolute Collection 4 (Halion 6). UR-824, Yamaha HS7 W, Yamaha Subwoofer, Lorenz Acoustic Studio F1-80 (1979!), Cubase Midi / Key Command Controller: Stream Deck XL. Programmable studio mouse: Roccat Tyon.

Win 10, i7-4790 CPU, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 970.

Songs: https://soundcloud.com/avviano/tracks

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Just realized there is another option to avoid seeing the .bak file.

You can open Projects from the Media Bay in addition to the File/Open command. Since you can easily filter the results in Media Bay you could set it to only show .cpr files.
rodger

mesquire

Post by mesquire »

+1

Huge complaint for colleagues and clients that the project folder gets inundated with tons of .bak files

GlennO

Post by GlennO »

Out of curiosity, what are you people doing that you have so many .bak files that they are cumbersome? I can see the occasional project having a .bak file in the project folder, but "tons of .bak files"? What the heck are you doing that leads to the creation of all those .bak files?
Cubase 10, MacOS 10.13, Avid Artist Mix

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”