Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
lovegames

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by lovegames »

One really has to think about the GUI in context.

Cubase is a program that is used by people in productions and work types where there are 1000 tracks, and chopped events scattered over the length of an hour or more - None of these programs are designed for that. Cubase has a very particular look and variables that are slight but make a difference when dealing with these huge projects that these other DAWs would be painful to work with their lego block events.

To me, this context isn't even being considered in this thread. You can't just change a program to look like another without thinking about these variables. You don't want to for instance have features that result in the user utilizing them and without realizing, gradually backing themselves into a corner of scattered unorganization

kostal

Post by kostal »

Empirically, you are wrong. People use all those DAWs for gigantic productions successfully and refuse to change DAWs also. I've done big post production projects on multiple DAWs. You're wrong. You're talking about context, but the subtext is to confuse and change the subject. There's your argument. Your other trolling technique is to go to every thread and give some utilitarian garbage--mixed with what could likely be an assumption that only one person works at Steinberg who has to do all the jobs. It's either your feature request or someone else's which Steinberg can entertain. Moreover, you try to act like you have some corporate stake in Steinberg or are their special advisor monitoring us users on the forum, critiquing arguments; everyone should be answerable to you in your head. LMAO.

Delusions of grandeur, much?

Dude, this thread is about improving Cubase GUI and Aesthetic. If you don't have anything to contribute, leave. I've addressed your utilitarian argument earlier. You just keep popping up looking for attention.

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

kostal wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:04 pm
Empirically, you are wrong. People use all those DAWs for gigantic productions successfully and refuse to change DAWs also. I've done big post production projects on multiple DAWs. You're wrong. You're talking about context, but the subtext is to confuse and change the subject. There's your argument. Your other trolling technique is to go to every thread and give some utilitarian garbage--mixed with what could likely be an assumption that only one person works at Steinberg who has to do all the jobs. It's either your feature request or someone else's which Steinberg can entertain. Moreover, you try to act like you have some corporate stake in Steinberg or are their special advisor monitoring us users on the forum, critiquing arguments; everyone should be answerable to you in your head. LMAO.

Delusions of grandeur, much?

Dude, this thread is about improving Cubase GUI and Aesthetic. If you don't have anything to contribute, leave. I've addressed your utilitarian argument earlier. You just keep popping up looking for attention.
Nope, definitely not wrong. The only other program handling this right is ProTools. How many of these programs even have something comparable to Project Logical Editor though?

Sorry, but I do not see people running sessions that big in Ableton ever.

Studio One had the benefit of copying Cubase, and still, does not offer everything it does. I would switch DAWs in a second if what you were saying is true, which it isn't - so I am my own evidence on this because I really DGAF.

I just don't get what is this thing about Aesthetics that needs to keep changing? I think you just look at other DAWs and get jealous, like you already have a hot girlfriend named Cubase but you're never content or something?

Cubase just looks like Cubase, and it works. Not to mention the aesthetics have been modernized - surely you didn't not notice this?

caravansun

Post by caravansun »

I am glad I found this thread. I have struggled with the new GUI. I still use 6.5 because of it. I have tried and tried and the newer mixer screens are just so hard to dial in for me. The mixer channels are run together and don't have as much visual separation, etc as they did before. I really wish they would stop messing with it or be able to customize it more. The 6.5 mixer to me is much easier to see, use just from a visual point of view. I know the more you use it the faster you can work, etc. But the constant changes for version to version is getting old. The mixer the heart of it for me, I need it to usually be consistent as much as it can be for mixing.

Look at this session between 6.5 and 10.5 on the same song, trying to get the same basic look and size. Buttons where laid out clearly on the mixer itself, phase, monitor, etc.

Cubase is my favorite DAW and I have no plans to leave but it needs a more user visually friendly mixer, etc to me.
Jason
Attachments
c105.png
(176.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
C65.png
(399.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

caravansun wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:20 pm
i miss this buttons :D
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

djgraver wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:36 pm
caravansun wrote:
i miss this buttons :D
See, that's a real feature request.

Instead of a thread titled "Cubase Aesthetic/GUI", or "Cubase 11", make a thread called "Always accessible phase button in Mixer"

caravansun

Post by caravansun »

Ha yeah, I don't understand how you take things away from a good default location.

kostal

Post by kostal »

caravansun wrote:
I am glad I found this thread. I have struggled with the new GUI. I still use 6.5 because of it. I have tried and tried and the newer mixer screens are just so hard to dial in for me. The mixer channels are run together and don't have as much visual separation, etc as they did before. I really wish they would stop messing with it or be able to customize it more. The 6.5 mixer to me is much easier to see, use just from a visual point of view. I know the more you use it the faster you can work, etc. But the constant changes for version to version is getting old. The mixer the heart of it for me, I need it to usually be consistent as much as it can be for mixing.

Look at this session between 6.5 and 10.5 on the same song, trying to get the same basic look and size. Buttons where laid out clearly on the mixer itself, phase, monitor, etc.

Cubase is my favorite DAW and I have no plans to leave but it needs a more user visually friendly mixer, etc to me.
Jason
Precisely! Some things Cubase did right before they went all gradient/video game. Cubase 5 had tabbed event clip names...Logic still does. Not sure why that was changed.

I wouldn’t want Cubase to go back to the old look, but progress should be better, not just “different.”

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

Tabbed Event names take up too much vertical space. I'd take the current annoying names over losing vertical space for sure.

One potential solution is that the names should be behind the waveform, as it's not too often that waveforms are normalized to such an extent that they would completely block out event names, however, as it currently is, it is annoying the event names block out the waveform if there is a transient peak.

kostal

Post by kostal »

Tabbed event names +!

Glorian_Gray

Post by Glorian_Gray »

kostal wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:46 am
I’ve been a Cubase user for almost 20 years now.

Cubase workflow is awesome for me. However, the GUI needs some love. With each update, Steinberg has definitely changed the look. But I feel like the designers think that we want flashy looks—very childish, consumer hifi, crammed, 3D, need for speed luxury car interior, etc. An example is right here in the forum. Look up. The shocking, bright-red Steinberg logo on top of a sky-blue gradient banner. My eyes hurt. :p

We are after all artists. Aesthetic sensibility matters: the way text is formatted, colors, events/regions, waveforms, analysis tools embedded logically, visual feedback, smoothness, etc. Things can look beautiful/inviting and be functional. Ableton does it well in a minimalist way—they care. Logic is cognizant of this. Pro Tools has its own charm. But all these DAWs lack Cubase’s workflow and power for me.

Please lets make Cubase more beautiful.
Damn, kostal! You're so soulful guy! Love it, you just wrote what I think every preloaded session!
Cubase Pro 10 | Intel Core i7-9750H 2.60GHz | 8Gb Memory | 1TB Solid State Drive | Windows 10 Pro (1903)| Steinberg UR22 Audio Interface

Glorian_Gray

Post by Glorian_Gray »

kostal wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:11 pm
Here's how I have customized my 10.5 to look better and functional (thanks for flat events).

Cubase 10.5-Custom.png
I tried to make my GUI a bit brighter like Ableton:
https://fastpic.ru/view/111/2020/0327/_ ... .jpeg.html
Cubase Pro 10 | Intel Core i7-9750H 2.60GHz | 8Gb Memory | 1TB Solid State Drive | Windows 10 Pro (1903)| Steinberg UR22 Audio Interface

cmbourget

Post by cmbourget »

One of Cubase's big graphic problems is the unnecessary thickness of the strokes of each box, every window, every button. The red button on the Control room is the most ridiculous example. It's like a Fisher Price or Mattel game. My 3-year-old boy loves it. In addition, the typo is super fat. But when it comes time to draw the scrolling elevators, however, there we do it like needles! Another example: I'm in a complex mix, and I have to monitor a series of vumeters. The indicator figures (gradation) are pale grey on a dark grey background. We say: not so serious, let's see the indicator at the bottom of the fader: worse!

*Steinberg* would need an artistic director for this interface. Looks like everyone's touching it, depending on their department. Otherwise, please let us choose these aspects, with a very customizable GUI.

Not everything is bad, but the qualities are crushed by the defects.
Cubase 10.5, Pro Tools 2019.10
PC Windows 10, Intel Xeon E5-2667 v2 3.30GHz, 8 cores, 64 Go
PrismSound Titan, Solo Be and Focal sub, etc, etc.

kostal

Post by kostal »

cmbourget wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:54 pm
One of Cubase's big graphic problems is the unnecessary thickness of the strokes of each box, every window, every button. The red button on the Control room is the most ridiculous example. It's like a Fisher Price or Mattel game. My 3-year-old boy loves it. In addition, the typo is super fat. But when it comes time to draw the scrolling elevators, however, there we do it like needles! Another example: I'm in a complex mix, and I have to monitor a series of vumeters. The indicator figures (gradation) are pale grey on a dark grey background. We say: not so serious, let's see the indicator at the bottom of the fader: worse!

*Steinberg* would need an artistic director for this interface. Looks like everyone's touching it, depending on their department. Otherwise, please let us choose these aspects, with a very customizable GUI.

Not everything is bad, but the qualities are crushed by the defects.
Yes! Agreed.

Steinberg needs an Art Director and GUI design team with taste and a musical background.

currentsound

Post by currentsound »

kostal wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:50 pm

Yes! Agreed.

Steinberg needs an Art Director and GUI design team with taste and a musical background.
Lol. I agree though. 9.5 looked better in my opinion IF you changed the colors to darker colors and blacks in the settings. After that it went downhill and they scrapped the ability to make things black in 10.5. You can only change the colors to dark grey and it's not that dark. When you're in a pitch black or dark studio, having the ability to adjust it how you want is important. I have no idea why they would reduce the available colors. I think users should have theme options and 3rd party theme file support.

By the way. I got to use UAD Luna at Namm. Now that is a pretty DAW! I shot a view of it below. It's not going to replace Cubase, well at least not for a while, it doesn't have a lot of features yet and has no external control surface support but the GUI, is very very nice. Looks even nicer in person. You can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKSS6UbMXDA&t=692s https://currentsound.com/general/univer ... ns-review/

kostal

Post by kostal »

currentsound wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm
kostal wrote:

Yes! Agreed.

Lol. I agree though. 9.5 looked better in my opinion IF you changed the colors to darker colors and blacks in the settings. After that it went downhill and they scrapped the ability to make things black in 10.5. You can only change the colors to dark grey and it's not that dark. When you're in a pitch black or dark studio, having the ability to adjust it how you want is important. I have no idea why they would reduce the available colors. I think users should have theme options and 3rd party theme file support.

By the way. I got to use UAD Luna at Namm. Now that is a pretty DAW! I shot a view of it below. It's not going to replace Cubase, well at least not for a while, it doesn't have a lot of features yet and has no external control surface support but the GUI, is very very nice. Looks even nicer in person. You can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKSS6UbMXDA&t=692s https://currentsound.com/general/univer ... ns-review/
Yes, Luna is really well designed, and in a year or two will hopefully be developed more fully. I need my Eucon though! If Luna gets Eucon support, I’m there.

theRoyal1

Post by theRoyal1 »

Whoever made the decision to implement that gradient cr4p?...seriously.

Not only does it NOT accept your old templates...but after every update they seem to be doubling down on this gradient sh++ and it keeps breaking the templates every time you change or edit your colors.
Last edited by theRoyal1 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Custom WS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=12TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+ Platinum | CM Cosmos II
Cubits : Cubase 10.5.12b123
CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI | 2xCMC-FD | CMC-QC

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti + Virus C | Maschine Studio + Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Roland XV-5080 + JV-2080 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MicroMain27 Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU MidiXT | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Seiki SE50UY04

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

currentsound wrote:
kostal wrote:

Yes! Agreed.

imo there's a lot that makes absolutely zero sense with the GUI

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

Guyz, honneslty, just look at Cubasis on ios devices - that excalty how Cubase GUI shoud work (Cubasis GUI Super Smooth & Fast)
Everything in Steinberg already done, just need to put all good things from different products into Cubase
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

ozinga

Post by ozinga »

lovegames wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:44 am
currentsound wrote:
kostal wrote:

Yes! Agreed.

imo there's a lot that makes absolutely zero sense with the GUI
lol

kostal

Post by kostal »

Luna’s looking great and is very snappy. It’s got ways to go though—but great for a 1.0 release, a solid foundation.

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

kostal wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:47 am
Luna’s looking great and is very snappy. It’s got ways to go though—but great for a 1.0 release, a solid foundation.
What does snappy mean? How is Luna, snappier than Cubase?

theRoyal1

Post by theRoyal1 »

jftr, I watched a video of theirs, let's call them Luna-tics... :P
they were so joyful about being able to add a channel to a bus and output at the same time.
Don't get me wrong, I love competition as it forces manufacturers to be better but this is in no way a DAW that I would jump at.

IMO, it seems like a glorified audicard interface and considering who makes it and how it implements their plugins, I'm thinking that's exactly what it is......For now.
Custom WS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=12TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+ Platinum | CM Cosmos II
Cubits : Cubase 10.5.12b123
CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI | 2xCMC-FD | CMC-QC

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti + Virus C | Maschine Studio + Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Roland XV-5080 + JV-2080 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MicroMain27 Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU MidiXT | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Seiki SE50UY04

kostal

Post by kostal »

theRoyal1 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:17 pm
they were so joyful about being able to add a channel to a bus and output at the same time.
Don't get me wrong, I love competition as it forces manufacturers to be better but this is in no way a DAW that I would jump at.

IMO, it seems like a glorified audicard interface and considering who makes it and how it implements their plugins, I'm thinking that's exactly what it is......For now.
Well, it IS v1.0.

Also, we are talking about GUI and user interface comparisons here. Luna does look good.

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

theRoyal1 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Cubase can do this

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”