Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
Lasso

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by Lasso »

kostal wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:11 pm
Here's how I have customized my 10.5 to look better and functional (thanks for flat events).

Cubase 10.5-Custom.png
That looks great 👍

Care to share your settings?
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

currentsound

Post by currentsound »

mhelin wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:03 pm
IMHO, Flat Design rules:
https://medium.com/@arnaudlamy/flat-des ... e8b7df6bf4
I know this is the trend right now but I don't like it.

Personally I like the look of Universal Audio's Luna (even though it's not out yet) https://currentsound.com/general/univer ... ns-review/ and their existing console app. I would love it if Cubase looked like this. It reminds me of actual hardware mixing desks that I'm used to and surrounded by in my studio. When you have an actual mixer or control surface in front of you, having the screen look similar to the physical hardware that you have makes sense. I think that is why Pro Tools never went flat. When you use it with their hardware, it seems more similar but I hate that it's so white and overall the design of Pro Tools is terrible since you're usually in a dim room and the screen is too bright.

I like everything as dark as possible. Personally I'd like to see a collab between Universal Audio and Steinberg to take their integration hardware and DAW integration concept and even the look of their mixer into Cubase.

Personally I think the best looking Cubase was version 9 with my dark color scheme/dark mode theme that I made: https://currentsound.com/general/cubase ... ode-theme/

I do like how Steinberg lets the users personalize the look of Cubase in terms of colors. Most DAW manufactures don't let you do that. Although in version 10.5, the killed off the possibility to use dark blacks and dark shades of grey. I don't know if it was intentional or by accident but it was super annoying. Part of the reason why I like to use Cubase is that I get distracted by different colors since I have synesthesia. I want to be able to grey everything out so that I'm just focusing on the music.

What I would like to see is THEME FILES and 3rd party themes! That would be so awesome. Right now, the only way to share color settings and themes is to share all of your cubase settings. That's not ideal since you're also replacing and importing all of some else's settings.

I think they should have multiple looks and themes. Flat ones to keep flat lovers happy. Ones that look like old analogue consoles to keep those guys happy.

At the end of the day we're all individuals and work on different music. Design is similar. People like different things. People should be able to have the look they want and be individuals more.

When you stare at something for endless hours each day, you want it to look a certain way as well as fit with the vibe of your studio and your own personality.

After all, it's going to be apart of the marketing and branding of your studio. Example:
Attachments
studiobtom002crop.jpg
(351.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet

kostal

Post by kostal »

Lasso wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:23 pm
kostal wrote:
Here's how I have customized my 10.5 to look better and functional (thanks for flat events).

Cubase 10.5-Custom.png
That looks great 👍

Care to share your settings?
Hey! I have shared my custom settings in this thread on page 2! Thank you!

kostal

Post by kostal »

currentsound wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:41 am
mhelin wrote:
IMHO, Flat Design rules:

Personally I like the look of Universal Audio's Luna (even though it's not out yet) https://currentsound.com/general/univer ... ns-review/ and their existing console app. I would love it if Cubase looked like this. It reminds me of actual hardware mixing desks that I'm used to and surrounded by in my studio. When you have an actual mixer or control surface in front of you, having the screen look similar to the physical hardware that you have makes sense. I think that is why Pro Tools never went flat. When you use it with their hardware, it seems more similar but I hate that it's so white and overall the design of Pro Tools is terrible since you're usually in a dim room and the screen is too bright.

Universal Audio stuff has had amazing GUI—especially their plugins. Their philosophy is based on skeuomorphic design. To make software look like actual hardware.

I’m not a huge fan of dark daw themes. I used to like them for a bit but then my eyes got tired. I have shared my own custom Cubase settings and screenshots. That’s closer to how I like it—and Cubase users here have been asking me how I did it. So I guess having a customizable Cubase is important.
Attachments
Cubase 10.5-Custom.png
(79.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cubase-10.5-Custom-Automation.png
(76.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

kostal wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 am
currentsound wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:41 am
mhelin wrote:
IMHO, Flat Design rules:

Universal Audio stuff has had amazing GUI—especially their plugins. Their philosophy is based on skeuomorphic design. To make software look like actual hardware.

I’m not a huge fan of dark daw themes. I used to like them for a bit but then my eyes got tired. I have shared my own custom Cubase settings and screenshots. That’s closer to how I like it—and Cubase users here have been asking me how I did it. So I guess having a customizable Cubase is important.
Kostal, can you do something with C10.0 ? i trying reproduce, but seems gradient ruin it all
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

kabervasuki

Post by kabervasuki »

kostal wrote:

Cubase 10.5-Custom.png
I really like that. Could you share the RGB values of the colors you're using please? Would love to get my cubase to look good. Also, are you on a Mac or Win?

kostal

Post by kostal »

Kostal, can you do something with C10.0 ? i trying reproduce, but seems gradient ruin it all
Hey, you can get it slightly closer, but C10 would be problematic still because of gradient and color palette.
Last edited by kostal on Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kostal

Post by kostal »

kabervasuki wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 pm
kostal wrote:

Cubase 10.5-Custom.png
I really like that. Could you share the RGB values of the colors you're using please? Would love to get my cubase to look good. Also, are you on a Mac or Win?
I'm on MacOS Mojave at the moment. I'm using stock extended Cubase color palette tones. Use lighter colors on the events if you want the waveform colored looking, and the darker colors on events will show as blackish, depending on the waveform brightness you set in preferences. I prefer to set the waveform brightness to darkish, but not completely black--that seems to bring clarity to waveforms when lighter colors are used. However, proper consistency is not possible with the whole color palette, as this level of customization has its own drawbacks.

Cubase designers can make it look so much better in its standard form and then these minor tweaks can let us customize finely. What I've done is something extreme and the results are good but you can still see, for example, how waveforms look messy and jagged because of the lack of anti-aliasing, etc. Also the track name fonts being white is another problem, amongst many such GUI issues.

For all those people who say GUI doesn't matter: it does. My edits are faster. I can navigate and identify things very easily. It help with arrangement also. Cleaning up the session. And so much more.

Just took some screenshots of my preferences. Hope it helps:
Attachments
RGB 2.png
(66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
RGB 1.png
(70.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Pref Custom Colors - kostal.png
(31.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet

kabervasuki

Post by kabervasuki »

kostal wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:27 pm
kabervasuki wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 pm
kostal wrote:

Cubase 10.5-Custom.png
I'm on MacOS Mojave at the moment. I'm using stock extended Cubase color palette tones. Use lighter colors on the events if you want the waveform colored looking, and the darker colors on events will show as blackish, depending on the waveform brightness you set in preferences. I prefer to set the waveform brightness to darkish, but not completely black--that seems to bring clarity to waveforms when lighter colors are used. However, proper consistency is not possible with the whole color palette, as this level of customization has its own drawbacks.

Cubase designers can make it look so much better in its standard form and then these minor tweaks can let us customize finely. What I've done is something extreme and the results are good but you can still see, for example, how waveforms look messy and jagged because of the lack of anti-aliasing, etc. Also the track name fonts being white is another problem, amongst many such GUI issues.

For all those people who say GUI doesn't matter: it does. My edits are faster. I can navigate and identify things very easily. It help with arrangement also. Cleaning up the session. And so much more.

Just took some screenshots of my preferences. Hope it helps:
Ah the clarity of the lines made me suspect you're on a Mac. I'm on Win and it everything looks slightly less amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. I was able to create a palette that I really like better than the default one - inspired by yours. Trying to locate the waveform transparency option - I didn't know it could you modified. Thanks.

kabervasuki

Post by kabervasuki »

I really wish Cubase would allow more color freedom and I also think a themes feature like Reaper would be amazing. I'm one of those people who keeps changing my wallpaper and themes from time to time - it's just something that occasionally freshens things up.

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

Steinberg please focus on functionality rather than GUI. There has been so many GUI changes since.... forever. It's fine as it is now. It's completely totally fine. Music is being made.

kabervasuki

Post by kabervasuki »

lovegames wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:11 pm
Steinberg please focus on functionality rather than GUI. There has been so many GUI changes since.... forever. It's fine as it is now. It's completely totally fine. Music is being made.
Haha.

Hopefully Steinberg has the resources to do both. If they don't, I agree with you, usability and functionality are more important than design.

kostal

Post by kostal »

I’m almost certain Cubase 11 will look fantastic. Steinberg is a very smart company and has a getting things done attitude mostly. Moreover, they learn from their mistakes and listen to their valuable customers.

We will get form and function!

mart

Post by mart »

kostal wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:46 am
I’ve been a Cubase user for almost 20 years now.

Cubase workflow is awesome for me. However, the GUI needs some love. With each update, Steinberg has definitely changed the look. But I feel like the designers think that we want flashy looks—very childish, consumer hifi, crammed, 3D, need for speed luxury car interior, etc. An example is right here in the forum. Look up. The shocking, bright-red Steinberg logo on top of a sky-blue gradient banner. My eyes hurt. :p

We are after all artists. Aesthetic sensibility matters: the way text is formatted, colors, events/regions, waveforms, analysis tools embedded logically, visual feedback, smoothness, etc. Things can look beautiful/inviting and be functional. Ableton does it well—they care. Logic is cognizant of this. Pro Tools has its own charm. But all these DAWs lack Cubase’s workflow and power for me.

Please lets make Cubase more beautiful.
-1. I'm tired of how the GUI keeps changing every update which leads to so many new bugs and disorientation to users trying to find features and identify new icons. The GUI is fine. Make small improvements not major overhauls. I'd prefer resources to be put into workflow and improving existing features in C11.
Windows 10 Build 1909 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 10.5, Dorico 3 UAD-2 PCIe (1 x OCTO & 1 x Quad ), Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 with 32gb Slave PC.

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

mart wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:18 pm
kostal wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:46 am
I’ve been a Cubase user for almost 20 years now.

Cubase workflow is awesome for me. However, the GUI needs some love. With each update, Steinberg has definitely changed the look. But I feel like the designers think that we want flashy looks—very childish, consumer hifi, crammed, 3D, need for speed luxury car interior, etc. An example is right here in the forum. Look up. The shocking, bright-red Steinberg logo on top of a sky-blue gradient banner. My eyes hurt. :p

We are after all artists. Aesthetic sensibility matters: the way text is formatted, colors, events/regions, waveforms, analysis tools embedded logically, visual feedback, smoothness, etc. Things can look beautiful/inviting and be functional. Ableton does it well—they care. Logic is cognizant of this. Pro Tools has its own charm. But all these DAWs lack Cubase’s workflow and power for me.

Please lets make Cubase more beautiful.
-1. I'm tired of how the GUI keeps changing every update which leads to so many new bugs and disorientation to users trying to find features and identify new icons. The GUI is fine. Make small improvements not major overhauls. I'd prefer resources to be put into workflow and improving existing features in C11.
Yes. I feel like I am learning a new program every major update because of the GUI changes, it's very disorientating especially if you are squeezing an update in, between projects. It's a distraction in the midst of creative aspirations

kostal

Post by kostal »

We want aesthetic improvements along with better function! I've been using Cubase for 20+ years--good changes don't bother me. Bring on a more beautiful Cubase! And I know Steinberg wont disappoint! 8-)

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

This by far has to be the most annoying thread in Feature Requests.

Scab Pickens

Post by Scab Pickens »

lovegames wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:19 am
Mostly due to your "contributions". Seriously, you should probably just stop whatever this thing is that you have been doing all over these forums. It's getting old very quickly.
Windows 10 | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 8 | Dorico 3 SE | Focusrite Pro 40

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

Scab Pickens wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:55 pm
lovegames wrote:
Mostly due to your "contributions". Seriously, you should probably just stop whatever this thing is that you have been doing all over these forums. It's getting old very quickly.
Why? If we were standing in the same room, all of us, I would be addressing the exact same facets and breaking everything down.

It - is - sort of an annoying thread. We've literally had non-stop GUI and interface changes, substantially, since at least version 8 and somehow, Cubase still needs to be more beautiful, and needs more GUI changes? And every time I ask why, I get some abstract subjective breakdown usually attached to "I've done graphic design and have made iPad apps professionally along side music career for this and this long".

It's annoying that the GUI keeps changing, it's disorientating every time it happens, and requires somewhat of a re-orientation phase which is not what I want to be doing between projects, I don't want to be spending that brain power, time, etc, etc.

Apart from updating and modernizing the relic windows and areas of the program that aren't up to date with what has been updated/modernized - Cubase doesn't need to be more beautiful. it doesn't need an Aesthetic/GUI overhaul, redesign, or anything. It's more than fine. How does it make sense after 4 years or so of GUI updates to then undesign it to be more like Ableton or Logic? This is an annoying thought process. It's unnecessary.

It's annoying to have to deal with subjective based threads stuck in this never-good-enough mentality, when it's just bloody fkn fine, and this internet board is a minority of Cubase users of which the majority who are not here, are probably more than happy with the GUI changes that have happened and like how Cubase looks.

Sorry, but if you're going to post your opinion in a public space, and it's an opinion on something that affects other people, expect to face opposition. There needs to be more of me here, not less.

kostal

Post by kostal »

Scab Pickens wrote:
lovegames wrote:
+1

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

kostal wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:19 pm
Scab Pickens wrote:
lovegames wrote:
+1
-∞
Last edited by lovegames on Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kostal

Post by kostal »

Universal Audio LUNA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBWSk_k9kKI&t=269s

Looks great too--Steinberg should pay attention.

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

kostal wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:38 pm
Universal Audio LUNA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBWSk_k9kKI&t=269s

Looks great too--Steinberg should pay attention.
You've never even used it lol. Why would you tell Steinberg to take notes from a program you've never used and it looks like they've been taking notes from Steinberg lmfao.

But TBH, I don't like the look of that program at all. Why are there dual pan knobs? There's too many knobs in general.

I don't like how the track colours aren't the full.

It seems like possibly the track names are constrained to the size you see??? Hard to tell, but I have extremely long track names sometimes when doing sound design and I need to see full name.

There's a lot I can see in this program right away that I do not like. It seems over-condensed in some areas, and then over-expanded in others (liek dual pan knobs)

Look at how much space the Cue section takes up.

It's weird you think Cubase is inadequate and then have these new affirmations for a new program you've never used. Cubase is more than adequate, it is the best looking DAW for what it crams in - which is a lot. No offense, I just don't think you've put much thought into your analysis and you fail to realize how particular of a program Cubase is and why things are done the way they are done.

I'm sure Luna has some cool features as you would hope a new program built from the ground up would, having the opportunity to sketch the program based off others DAWs that already exist. But Cubase and others, have to be backwards compatible. Cubase is a very complicated production platform used in many different ways, for the past 20 years or however long. So you have to have realistic expectations, and realize that to this day, Cubase still does what Cubase does that others don't (probably not even a brand new program such as Luna) and has become embedded in many peoples lives as it is. This mentality of chasing the offerings of what brand new DAWs are doing is dangerous. Cubase is an open-ended program that users have to "design" themselves to meet their production needs, and my production needs are very complicated at times. I can see right away that Luna would not work for me. Cubase, It's not just a DAW, it's a management and logistical production platform.

kostal

Post by kostal »

lovegames wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:26 pm
kostal wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:40 pm
lovegames wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:27 pm

You've never even used it lol. Why would you tell Steinberg to take notes from a program you've never used and it looks like they've been taking notes from Steinberg lmfao.
Seek help, dude! The psychological kind. Good luck!
I'm actually the psychologist helping you, you just don't realize it yet.
Most of us here have work to do, businesses to run, lives to live. I spend a lot of time working on Cubase, and that's why I want it to look good and work efficiently. You just run your mouth on forums all day. .

You talk too much. In a few months on this forum, you have posted nearly 900 posts (mostly making personal attacks and behaving like a college freshman know-it-all). In over 6 years, I've only posted 150 times.

Get help, immediately, dude!

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

kostal wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:34 pm
lovegames wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:26 pm
kostal wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:40 pm

Seek help, dude! The psychological kind. Good luck!
I'm actually the psychologist helping you, you just don't realize it yet.
Most of us here have work to do, businesses to run, lives to live. I spend a lot of time working on Cubase, and that's why I want it to look good and work efficiently. You just run your mouth on forums all day. .

You talk too much. In a few months on this forum, you have posted nearly 900 posts. In over 6 years, I've only posted 150 times.

Get help, immediately, dude!
My time on the forums has been a worthy investment, many of my ideas have been directly implemented. You take criticism as "mouth running" and then use that to self-legitimize running your mouth and insulting people.

I run three businesses, and travel for work. My time investment here is temporary to make sure the program is steered in the right direction and that certain utilities aren't lost in updates.

I guess I have more ideas and thoughts to offer than you.

You really don't have to be so triggered and offended, you could just explain and clarify yourself against my opposing comments.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”