Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
theRoyal1

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by theRoyal1 »

kostal wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:20 pm
Well, it IS v1.0.

Also, we are talking about GUI and user interface comparisons here. Luna does look good.
It looks ok...and ftr, I've been critical of the Cubase GUI
lovegames wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:27 am
Cubase can do this
Yep...that's why I was unimpressed and why I feel like it's just a go between for their plugs.
Custom WS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=12TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+ Platinum | CM Cosmos II
Cubits : Cubase 10.5.12b123
CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI | 2xCMC-FD | CMC-QC

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti + Virus C | Maschine Studio + Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Roland XV-5080 + JV-2080 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MicroMain27 Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU MidiXT | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Seiki SE50UY04

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

theRoyal1 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:18 am
kostal wrote:
Well, it IS v1.0.

Also, we are talking about GUI and user interface comparisons here. Luna does look good.
lovegames wrote:
Cubase can do this
Yep...that's why I was unimpressed and why I feel like it's just a go between for their plugs.
Yes, and I agree with your overall analysis of Lunas intent and certainly within that, certain GUI liberties.

A lot of people here talking about GUIs aren't seeing the entire picture, in that, these programs aren't designed with the same intent. Cubase and Nuendo are designed to be open production platforms in which the user templates the way they want things to work and what utilities are in the forefront. In regards to the term 'production' I'm not talking about people working in their basement, or 808 pop.. I'm talking about mass productions, 1000 tracks, film scores, tv episodes, huge remastering and cleaning projects, video game assets, SoundFX and sample library creation, sound archival, etc, etc. They magnitude of these types of projects causes hair loss. Huge track counts, huge number of files, scenes, episodes, seasons, etc, etc, etc.

Using Luna as any kind of reference for how Cubase should look is sort of crazy. People understand Cubase isn't just a DAW where you make music. It's a file management program, career management program, record label software, sound library manager, VST host. All of these types of things, need to be considered in what the GUI is and how it changes.

It is also a program that is designed to invite experimentation, part of why it is sort of an open production platform. I think the GUI take into consideration the type of experimentation - long sound scapes that could be hours long for instance in which all sorts of automation experiments are happening scattered throughout - how does the GUI and interface need to accommodate that type of production? This is where Cubase shines, and why it doesn't need to change too much.

kostal

Post by kostal »

There’s a great quote by Nassim Taleb:

“My best definition of a nerd: someone who asks you to explain an aphorism.”

Nerds and bureaucrats. And by nerds he doesn’t mean smart or intelligent people.

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

kostal wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:21 am
There’s a great quote by Nassim Taleb:

“My best definition of a nerd: someone who asks you to explain an aphorism.”

Nerds and bureaucrats. And by nerds he doesn’t mean smart or intelligent people.
It's alright

mbulka

Post by mbulka »

+1
Cubase 10 Pro, Groove Agent 5, Halion Sonic 6, Win10 64-bit (1909 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 64G DDR4 3200, Bios 2201 (the latest one), NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family integrated card, RME Fireface UFX+ over USB 3.0, Akai Advance 61 keyboard, a lot of plugins including UAD plugins over USB UAD Satellite

mbulka

Post by mbulka »

Luna does looks good, but its something different at all. Its only for Mac, lets say (sorry), its a young piece, yes, maybe looks good, but why need to use only on Mac and why with Appollo connected ?
But, back to the topic. 3D render should be very fine, also I prefer to do, but there is also priority to fix the lag midi to be stable as can be, because, when the UI starts lag, midi starts lug and everything is in ... so, by the priority, yes, please, take care and I think, everybody will count in Gold to do not have lags and midi working all the time and thats perfect, they understand this and work on this as priority also.
Thanks
Cubase 10 Pro, Groove Agent 5, Halion Sonic 6, Win10 64-bit (1909 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 64G DDR4 3200, Bios 2201 (the latest one), NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family integrated card, RME Fireface UFX+ over USB 3.0, Akai Advance 61 keyboard, a lot of plugins including UAD plugins over USB UAD Satellite

Ken in Midland

Post by Ken in Midland »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I just want everything to function without eye strain and a feeling of clumsiness.

Clumsiness like I get trying to use the on screen transport bar when the full mixer screen is open. Please let me adjust the size and display items

jjjooonnn

Post by jjjooonnn »

The transport panel, while trying to look 'now', looks unbelievably dated.
After using the new look for a year now, I'm still not used to it.
Play, Rewind, Pause, Stop are all universal symbols on remotes, stereos, etc. for a reason;
It works, and we're used it. These new 'hip' ones just aren't good.

currentsound

Post by currentsound »

lovegames wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:04 am
theRoyal1 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:18 am
kostal wrote:
Well, it IS v1.0.

lovegames wrote:
Cubase can do this
Yes, and I agree with your overall analysis of Lunas intent and certainly within that, certain GUI liberties.

A lot of people here talking about GUIs aren't seeing the entire picture, in that, these programs aren't designed with the same intent. Cubase and Nuendo are designed to be open production platforms in which the user templates the way they want things to work and what utilities are in the forefront. In regards to the term 'production' I'm not talking about people working in their basement, or 808 pop.. I'm talking about mass productions, 1000 tracks, film scores, tv episodes, huge remastering and cleaning projects, video game assets, SoundFX and sample library creation, sound archival, etc, etc. They magnitude of these types of projects causes hair loss. Huge track counts, huge number of files, scenes, episodes, seasons, etc, etc, etc.

Using Luna as any kind of reference for how Cubase should look is sort of crazy. People understand Cubase isn't just a DAW where you make music. It's a file management program, career management program, record label software, sound library manager, VST host. All of these types of things, need to be considered in what the GUI is and how it changes.

It is also a program that is designed to invite experimentation, part of why it is sort of an open production platform. I think the GUI take into consideration the type of experimentation - long sound scapes that could be hours long for instance in which all sorts of automation experiments are happening scattered throughout - how does the GUI and interface need to accommodate that type of production? This is where Cubase shines, and why it doesn't need to change too much.
I spoke to the UAD guys about Luna at Namm. They're not just aiming for the home studio market. I asked the question on camera here: https://currentsound.com/general/univer ... ns-review/ They have big goals and want to convert users from all DAWs over which means they're likely going to add a lot of advanced features over time. Luna most likely won't get more ugly just by them adding more features and it doesn't make sense for them to design something that would prohibit them to fulfil their goal of expanding the function of the software.

Advanced features doesn't prohibit skinning and design. There is always room for innovation and improvement. Most of the functions of Cubase are hidden in menus and in key commands. Everything you're referring to is a separate window anyway. The actual DAW isn't cluttered with a million different buttons that needs to be skinned. Very few items within a session are viewable at any one given time. The viewable items at most times aren't that much different than Logic and Luna so of course you can compare the look of them.

The exact reason that Cubase is used in more professional environments is the exact reason why the look of it should be more customizable. My recording studio is very dark. Looking at a bright DAW causes a lot of eye strain. The last version of Cubase 10.5, they removed the ability to make the DAW black and removed all the options to make items darker shades of grey. Everything must be lighter grey than before. That makes no sense. So people like myself will have extra eye strain for no reason. Also, a lot of clients hire studios based on their look/appearance. It sounds dumb but despite the 30 songs on my studio website, about half of my clients on average admit to not listening to the songs and just booked the studio because it 'looked cool'. So appearance = income. Being able to customize the look of the software and DAW to fit with the studio is pretty important considering the client is paying to stair at the screen all day and is hiring the studio based on look. You can design the space as much as you like but the software, you're limited to whatever Steinberg let you customize which is not much.

nordlead26

Post by nordlead26 »

kostal wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:11 pm
Here's how I have customized my 10.5 to look better and functional (thanks for flat events).

Cubase 10.5-Custom.png
Seems like you expect that cubase looks like protools or Ableton near to be excel :/
Cubase Pro 9.5.50 x64
Windows 10 x 64bit
Intel Core i7 860
20 GB RAM
audio interface MOTU 828 MKII

eightyeightkeys

Post by eightyeightkeys »

kostal wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:47 pm
Please. Fix meters (real time fallback speed; skeuomorphic visuals/better gradient), waveform anti-aliasing, uniform icons and buttons.
+1
The peak meters are virtually useless. VU's would be very welcome. Even better a single needle type VU with adjustable reference level for mixing versus mastering...O.K., with a peak light.

If it were me, I'd prefer a GUI that is, I suppose, a little more "professional." By professional, I mean a little simpler. The whole form follows function thing. Ruthlessly so. Where every graphic is selected for it's function only. Beauty serves functionality. I think they are not mutually exclusive anyway.

When I'm doing very, very large projects, every single step takes some fraction of time. Searching for something, clicking for something, an extra step here...an extra menu there. So simplicity is very important imho.
eightyeightkeys
Asus G752 VW-DH71, i76700HQ, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 2 SSD's, Windows 10 Home

Sensay

Post by Sensay »

+1
Cubase looks like a DVD Cover for Deep Space Nine.

avavav

Post by avavav »

+1

Unfortunately, I'm very envious of the logic users. In my opinion the best looking and most practical GUI. Every single control element looks clean and carefully designed.

:cry:
Cubase Pro 10.5
Studio One Professional 5

Audient iD44
Audeze LCD-1
Focal CMS 65

Windows 10 Pro - 1909

ASRock Z87M Pro4
Intel Core i7 4770K 4x 3.50GHz
Kingston PC3-10700, 16 GB, DDR3
Powercolor RX 5700 XT
LG 27UD58-B

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

avavav wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:34 pm
+1

Unfortunately, I'm very envious of the logic users. In my opinion the best looking and most practical GUI. Every single control element looks clean and carefully designed.
:cry:
For me Logic looks like kid toy :D eJay in 2020. UAD Luna also, looks like "TRUE ANALOG" but, who need it? :)
And like all here, yes, i'm also miss Cubase SX design.
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

dylanmixer

Post by dylanmixer »

I think Cubase's GUI looks great.

Aldergrover

Post by Aldergrover »

If we're talking looks and only looks, to me Cubase is the best-looking DAW out there, even more so since version 10 (I've been using it since v3 on an Atari).
Logic looks tacky and corny, much like MacOS X itself, but I admit it's better organised and consistent than Cubase.
Cubase Pro 10.5, HP Pavilion All-in-One 24, Intel Core i7-7700T @ 2.90Ghz, 8Gb/1Tb, NVIDIA GeForce 930MX, Windows 10 Home 2004
Steinberg UR22MkII

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

Btw, here my colors.
tried Kostal color scheeme, but in my environment its too bright. and can't see inactive automation lines

So, i switch to back to dark scheme
Annotation 2020-05-13 113518.jpg
(931.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Also, set same color scheme in Windows so i dont have this annoying borders
windows.jpg
(890.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

Aldergrover wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:07 am
If we're talking looks and only looks, to me Cubase is the best-looking DAW out there, even more so since version 10 (I've been using it since v3 on an Atari).
Logic looks tacky and corny, much like MacOS X itself, but I admit it's better organised and consistent than Cubase.
most people who use Cubase today don't realize that it is rooted in organizing things more complicated than itself - like managing complicated MIDI/Synthesizer hardware setups and studios and in an enormous amount of different ways and thus, crams in a lot of things that other DAWS do not. People who are doing typical DAW workflows don't seem to understand why things are the way they are a lot of the time in Cubase. Different worlds. Cubase is as a CAD program is to Dubai architecture. These other DAWs are more like lego blocks where they are aiding the user in building a track that sounds like the track they heard on the radio.

As soon as Cubase is too much like other program, or it's too much catering to a certain market, or workflow concept... it loses what it's good at. which is everything.... like, a CAD program can design sky scrapers, or car rims... seems some people want it to be good at only designing flashy car rims... or lego blocks.

Anatomix

Post by Anatomix »

lovegames wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:27 pm
Aldergrover wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:07 am
most people who use Cubase today don't realize that it is rooted in organizing things more complicated than itself - like managing complicated MIDI/Synthesizer hardware setups and studios and in an enormous amount of different ways and thus, crams in a lot of things that other DAWS do not. People who are doing typical DAW workflows don't seem to understand why things are the way they are a lot of the time in Cubase. Different worlds. Cubase is as a CAD program is to Dubai architecture. These other DAWs are more like lego blocks where they are aiding the user in building a track that sounds like the track they heard on the radio.

As soon as Cubase is too much like other program, or it's too much catering to a certain market, or workflow concept... it loses what it's good at. which is everything.... like, a CAD program can design sky scrapers, or car rims... seems some people want it to be good at only designing flashy car rims... or lego blocks.
+100500
Anatoliy Anyn
Home Studio
Moscow, Russia

tonyjaguar

Post by tonyjaguar »

+1

I agree with the OP here, it's the inconsistency and half-finished vibe that bothers me. That, more than anything else is what makes cubase look so busy and cluttered.
cubase.png
(267.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Please, just choose something and stick with it (and please choose the nice modern font, not the ancient track font!).

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

tonyjaguar wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:47 pm
+1

I agree with the OP here, it's the inconsistency and half-finished vibe that bothers me. That, more than anything else is what makes cubase look so busy and cluttered.

cubase.png

Please, just choose something and stick with it (and please choose the nice modern font, not the ancient track font!).
I don't see what the problem is?

Having differentials sometimes makes things seem less cluttered as it allows your eyes to... well... differentiate and not be distracted or pulled.

No offense, and you're not the only one that has posted a picture with drawings, but I keep expecting some sort of profound criticism I would agree with... I have lots of criticisms... But I'm not seeing the issue here, like it's some strange OCD I don't have and am glad lol. I've been using since SX3...... almost everyday since SX3... the difference between the inspector record/monitor button and the track record/monitor - has never in the slightest came into my conscious thought.

kostal

Post by kostal »

Steinberg is listening to us! 10.5.20 is a signal that things are heading towards the right direction! :)

kostal

Post by kostal »

eightyeightkeys wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:55 pm
kostal wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:47 pm
Please. Fix meters (real time fallback speed; skeuomorphic visuals/better gradient), waveform anti-aliasing, uniform icons and buttons.
+1
The peak meters are virtually useless. VU's would be very welcome. Even better a single needle type VU with adjustable reference level for mixing versus mastering...O.K., with a peak light.

If it were me, I'd prefer a GUI that is, I suppose, a little more "professional." By professional, I mean a little simpler. The whole form follows function thing. Ruthlessly so. Where every graphic is selected for it's function only. Beauty serves functionality. I think they are not mutually exclusive anyway.

When I'm doing very, very large projects, every single step takes some fraction of time. Searching for something, clicking for something, an extra step here...an extra menu there. So simplicity is very important imho.

i’m pretty certain we will see this addressed in C11.

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra »

lovegames wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:44 pm
kostal wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:47 am
Luna’s looking great and is very snappy. It’s got ways to go though—but great for a 1.0 release, a solid foundation.
What does snappy mean? How is Luna, snappier than Cubase?
Because it’s GPU accelerated. Cubase isn’t at all.
HP z820, dual 6core Xeon 2643v3 3.5GHz, 64GB, AMD FirePro 5100, Samsung 850pro, UAD Octo PCIe, 2x RME Raydat, Cubase Pro 10, Windows 10 1903

n0xin

Post by n0xin »

+1

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”