Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

I’ve been a Cubase user for almost 20 years now.

Cubase workflow is awesome for me. However, the GUI needs some love. With each update, Steinberg has definitely changed the look. But I feel like the designers think that we want flashy looks—very childish, consumer hifi, crammed, 3D, need for speed luxury car interior, etc. An example is right here in the forum. Look up. The shocking, bright-red Steinberg logo on top of a sky-blue gradient banner. My eyes hurt. :p

We are after all artists. Aesthetic sensibility matters: the way text is formatted, colors, events/regions, waveforms, analysis tools embedded logically, visual feedback, smoothness, etc. Things can look beautiful/inviting and be functional. Ableton does it well in a minimalist way—they care. Logic is cognizant of this. Pro Tools has its own charm. But all these DAWs lack Cubase’s workflow and power for me.

Please lets make Cubase more beautiful.
Last edited by kostal on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jordikt
Junior Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:35 pm
Location: Girona
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by jordikt »

+1
Beautiful post

ozinga
Junior Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by ozinga »

+1

Tj99
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by Tj99 »

Imho Abletons and Protools GUIs are absolutely horrible, they look like programs from literally 10 years ago. While there is always room for improvement (also in functionality and workflow), I must say that Studio1+Cubase are a lot more beautiful than their competitors.
Recording - Mixing - Mastering

kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

Tj99 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:48 pm
Imho Abletons and Protools GUIs are absolutely horrible, they look like programs from literally 10 years ago. While there is always room for improvement (also in functionality and workflow), I must say that Studio1+Cubase are a lot more beautiful than their competitors.
I understand the sentiments. But do the Empire State Building and Taj Mahal look horrible just because they’re older than 10 years?

Funkybot
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by Funkybot »

As far as DAW aesthetics go, I agree that Ableton and Pro Tools look terrible. They may be very legible and functional but they just don’t look particularly attractive to me. Logic looks good. Cubase looks a bit better than Studio One overall (mix console, arrange view, PRV), but there are still some older, ugly or poorly designed windows in Cubase whereas Studio One is more consistent in its appearance.

I think it boils down to everyone having different taste and different ideas about what looks nice and what makes a GUI good or bad. You can’t please all the people all the time.

kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

We can make Cubase look better. I’m not talking about just taste. MacOS looks better than Windows—objectively. Most Windows users don’t value design (and industrial design) like Apple users do. And when they do, Microsoft tries to catch up to it in some ways. There’s a reason why Logic looks good (except for some legacy plugins). Although I think Cubase does workflow better in many ways.

I wouldn’t even talk about this if I didn’t think Cubase is capable of being the best DAW in the world (objectively). Cubase is so close to just making Pro Tools/Ableton/Logic and others irrelevant (objectively). Cubase does modern studio workflow and classic recording so well. All the other DAWs have an edge in one thing or the other. Cubase has potential to be the master of all.

Tj99
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by Tj99 »

kostal wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:28 pm
I’m not talking about just taste. MacOS looks better than Windows—objectively.
Slightly OT but I would say thats not true. Since (especially the newer) Win10 releases Windows catched up a lot on UI, where I would say its just opinion. On functionality/customizability/compatibility/workflow though Windows wins (was working for 5 years on MacOs 'til I switchted to a PC one year ago).

I agree to the rest you said.
Recording - Mixing - Mastering

cubace
Member
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by cubace »

I think Studio One is getting more and more appealing. Very little waste of space. Look how many channels they can show in their mixer view! However the aesthetic is very much a taste thing. And I prefer functionality over aesthetic, use colour coding where it has a meaning even if will look like a Christmas tree. But one think is clear there need to be a known look and feel and it should have the same functions when it is present. They did improve that with C10 let hope for an other step in 10.5.

kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

Fair enough. I don't hate Windows! :)

As far as Studio One is concerned, yes, it is getting quite appealing. I'm not a fan of its GUI in general, but man is it fluid and super snappy on MacOs.

nonchai
Junior Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by nonchai »

Tj99 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:48 pm
Imho Abletons and Protools GUIs are absolutely horrible, they look like programs from literally 10 years ago. While there is always room for improvement (also in functionality and workflow), I must say that Studio1+Cubase are a lot more beautiful than their competitors.
In a way you're right but as someone "re-discovering" present day Cubase - after being in Ableton-land for almost a decade - and loving it there - I have to respond here.

Yes Ableton's look and feel hasn't changed for ages - but there's a Zen-like minimalist simplicity to Ableton and its pared down menu set ( and DAW- feature set ) that really makes creativity keep going and not constantly killed by having to enter engineer or tekkie mode.

And if it comes to present day Cubase it seems very clear to me that the whole way menus are organised in Cubase needs rethought. Its a kitchen sink-mess. So Ableton engineers clearly and rightly know that to "touch"ie tweak or tamper with the Ableton "way" - is entering hallowed ground :)

Plus it has to be said, compared to Cubase - Ableton is as solid as a rock.
Dependable and reliable. Not something I can say about so so many other ... DAW-like software and associated tech....

Obviously old-timers will want Cubase menus exactly as they are, so to accommodate - some flexible mechanism needs to be designed in whereby people can revert to the "old-school" menu mess if they want - while making things a little more obvious, logical and un cluttered for the newcomers ( and returning lost sheep )
Last edited by nonchai on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tj99
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by Tj99 »

nonchai wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:24 am
Tj99 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:48 pm
Imho Abletons and Protools GUIs are absolutely horrible, they look like programs from literally 10 years ago. While there is always room for improvement (also in functionality and workflow), I must say that Studio1+Cubase are a lot more beautiful than their competitors.

And if it comes to present day Cubase it seems very clear to me that the whole way menus are organised in Cubase needs rethought. Its a kitchen sink-mess. So Ableton engineers clearly and rightly know that to "touch"ie tweak or tamper with the Ableton "way" - is entering hallowed ground :)

Obviously old-timers will want Cubase menus exactly as they are, so to accommodate - some flexible mechanism needs to be designed in whereby people can revert to the "old-school" menu mess if they want - while making things a little more obvious, logical and un cluttered for the newcomers ( and returning lost sheep )
I am with you there, but that has nothing to do with looks, but is a pure functional/workflow thing. I am absolutely not a guy who do not want things to change, just because you are used to them. Changes are fine for me, as long as there are any workflow improvements too. In the end its all about time, if a new feature or a rearranged menu saves me time, even if I had to relearn certain things, then give it to me please!
Recording - Mixing - Mastering

kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

I mean who wouldn’t want Ableton’s elastic/rubber band MIDI tool! Some things in Ableton are just truly unique. But Cubase is still top for me; as far as a professional studio/film/post workflow is concerned.

kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

The great Hans Zimmer reveals in his new Steinberg talk that Cubase is now aesthetically pleasing. As much as I like him, Cubase has more users than just Hans. Please, Steinberg, listen to us, too!

mhelin
New Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:13 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by mhelin »


kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

mhelin wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:03 pm
IMHO, Flat Design rules:
https://medium.com/@arnaudlamy/flat-des ... e8b7df6bf4
Logic truly is the best designed and smoothest in performance—-and cheapest. They’ve definitely got an edge and the resources, being owned by Apple.

kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

Good progress with 10.5. Events are now flatter.

Lets now work on anti-aliasing of waveforms and smooth play head please! We need a professional metering system with accurate and fast fallback speeds. Again please get rid of the gradient mess and overall jankyness.

Thanks.

SuperG
Junior Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by SuperG »

Flat design, like everything, is just styling. Flat design owes more to the fact that brand new device touch-screen interfaces at first were fairly rudimentary, and no one really knew what to do. Typographic interfaces were the latest rage - and so there we are - flat as it gets. There's no real improvement over past desktop design guides. It's just different. It'll pass, like everything, until the next rage. Then, everybody shells out all over again just to get the latest window dressing.
Win 10 i7-6700K, Cubase 10.5, Sonar Platinum, Absolute 4, Halion 6, Kontakt 6, Motu 896 MKIII Hybrid, Motu Ultralite MKIII Hybrid, X-Touch

kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

SuperG wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:47 am
Flat design, like everything, is just styling. Flat design owes more to the fact that brand new device touch-screen interfaces at first were fairly rudimentary, and no one really knew what to do. Typographic interfaces were the latest rage - and so there we are - flat as it gets. There's no real improvement over past desktop design guides. It's just different. It'll pass, like everything, until the next rage. Then, everybody shells out all over again just to get the latest window dressing.
It's not flat for the sake of being flat. It's easier on the eyes in a professional environment. Also, I don't take "flat" design religiously. Make something beautiful, functional and elegant, and I wont have a problem with it. Look at UAD visual design. It's great.

You can't say the gradient mess of Cubase was not due to some technological limitation. Computers are insanely powerful now, and we need to catch up. Also waveforms--they look like this because of performance limitations of the past. Look at Pro Tools metering--and then look at Cubase's gradient mush. Then look at any professional mixing console and outboard gear. In fact, look at Steinberg's own flagship interface's hardware and software design: AXR4. Then look at Cubase's gradient metering.

So yeah. Things have room to and can be improved. Look at Wavelab 10! It has improved so much.

User avatar
peakae
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3264
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: Bedroom
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by peakae »

Gradient metering ? Then change it !
Anyhow, kind of late discussing GUI design, when the GUI is nearly completely redesigned, a progression that was started back in version 7 and now almost finished in version 10.5
After that long of a progress, I don’t think there is any chance it will be changed “much” in the coming years.
I would appreciate it, if Steinberg did concentrate on the inner workings from now on.
Of cause this is only my opinion, and it is not a dismissal of the oppositions in this thread, I just think it is wasted energy.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

SuperG
Junior Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by SuperG »

kostal wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:13 am

It's not flat for the sake of being flat. It's easier on the eyes in a professional environment. Also, I don't take "flat" design religiously. Make something beautiful, functional and elegant, and I wont have a problem with it. Look at UAD visual design. It's great.
I disagree. Some may opine that "dark mode" interfaces are easier on the eyes, and may have some clinical data to back it. But "flat" design? That there's just personal preference. You can bet your bottom dollar that companies the Apple know that if you polish a trd like the Mac Pro with "style" and "design" it'll sell to the hoi polloi grasping to be cool.
Win 10 i7-6700K, Cubase 10.5, Sonar Platinum, Absolute 4, Halion 6, Kontakt 6, Motu 896 MKIII Hybrid, Motu Ultralite MKIII Hybrid, X-Touch

Musicmould
Junior Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:18 pm
Location: Internet
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by Musicmould »

+1
And please make it consistent.
Right now it looks like some parts were made 20 yrs ago and some last week.
iMac Pro | 64Gb Ram | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB | macOS 10.14.6 | Cubase Pro 10.5.20 | Luna | Pro Tools | Ableton Live | Logic Pro X | Studio One | Melodyne Studio | Revoice Pro | VSL Pro | UAD Apollo 8p+16 | 2xUAD Octo | Softube Console 1 | Motu Midi Express XT | Various drummachines, microphones, hardware synths & fx and way too many plugins |

"Without music, life would be a mistake".

kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

Please. Fix meters (real time fallback speed; skeuomorphic visuals/better gradient), waveform anti-aliasing, uniform icons and buttons.

kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

Universal Audio’s LUNA is on its way! Looks freaking amazing.

kostal
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Post by kostal »

Here's how I have customized my 10.5 to look better and functional (thanks for flat events).
Cubase 10.5-Custom.png
(79.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Post Reply

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests