Is it illegal to buy now, and register later?

Interested in Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 or Cubase Elements 10? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
spxlans

Is it illegal to buy now, and register later?

Post by spxlans »

I'm thinking of buying a digital copy of Cubase from internet resellers.

In this case, they will send me an activation serial so I can register it to My Steinberg webpage.

However, I wonder what happens if I register the serial number... let's say 3 years later from now?

Can I just get Cubase 12.5 or whatever future version it will be then? or I only get what I purchased, so the v10.5?

Or is it totally illegal to do so?

This question is not just for pure curiosity. I'm a Logic user, but I will end up using Cubase when I join a company a few years later, and I am seeing a very compelling deal.

KHS

Re: Is it illegal to buy now, and register later?

Post by KHS »

It's not illegal and yes, you should get whatever version is the newest at that time. But what is the point of buying it now then and not wait until you will actually use it?
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Steinberg UR242 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

mozizo

Re: Is it illegal to buy now, and register later?

Post by mozizo »

as long as they dont change the steinberg "grace period" policy you will get the latest cubase version license when activating. but make sure you buy a new license that has never been activated.
also if you are planning for few years maybe you better wait for cubase sale from steinberg,(unless you got a really good deal with 3r party retailer) i think they usually have one per year,40 % off usually. now they have discount on upgrades from lower cubase versions. they have also the competitive crossgrade price option if u got other DAW license(see a list on cubase sell page)
cubase 10.5 pro ,halion 6 GA5 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

Return to “Presales”