Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,
djgraver wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:36 pm
Btw, How option "Get Default QCs from plugin" works? how QCs choose parameters? most of time with 3rd party, its choose totally wrong parameters :D
The plug-in developer defines the order of the parameters (based on priority or own will). Quick Controls (same as Mackie Control for example) takes the first 8 parameters from the list. On Mackie Control, you can jump over the banks to other parameters. The default Quick Controls is strictly fixed to the 8 parameters only, or you can assign them manually.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

How to implement this option:

i make a chord (3 voices) ex. C-E-G. And i need double C & G to octave lower & double E to octave higher.
cant figure out how to do it
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

You will need 2 MIDI Logical Editor presets, but you can make a Macro out of them.

The first one, to transpose down:

Code: Select all

Filter Type:
( Type is | Equal | Note | And
( Context Variable | Equal | Position in Chord (Part) | Root Note | Or
Context Variable | Equal | Position in Chord (Part) | Fifth ))

Action Target:
Value 1 | Subtract | 12

Function:
Insert
This will add octave down to the Root note and the Fifth.

And the second one would be:

Code: Select all

Filter Type:
( Type is | Equal | Note | And
( Context Variable | Equal | Position in Chord (Part) | Root Note | Or
Context Variable | Equal | Position in Chord (Part) | Major Third | Or
Context Variable | Equal | Position in Chord (Part) | Minor Third ))

Action Target:
Value 1 | add | 12

Function:
Insert
I just added the minor third for the minor chords

See attached screenshots, please-
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 19.09.25.png
(156.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 19.10.32.png
(157.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

@Martin.Jirsak excellent! Thank you!

JSL

Post by JSL »

distante wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:06 pm
*Why Steinberg doesn't put a wiki for this really good threads?*
This is really good idea. If there is nothing like that. In this thread is lot of great points, but this kind of topic will works better in platform like wiki. Maybe something like "lessons learned database"
Since I cannot work with cubase every day and sometimes I have week gaps do to work, few weeks ago I created this kind of database for my self to avoid remembering how to deal with all these issues, or how to improve some tasks. Im adding there interesting topics which bothers me and solutions with tracking of progress or workarounds. Its just few stuff now, but if few users will maintain database like this it could be helpful and I would like to contribute with my stuff. But question is if its interesting for someone, if someone wants to participate and if there is some idea which platform shall be used.

Im expecting that it would require some idea at the beginning, like how to deal with differences between versions, but it should not be hard to solve.
WS: HP Z4 G4, Intel Core i7-9800x, 32 GB RAM
SW: Win 10, Cubase Pro 10.5, SpectraLayers Pro 6, Wavelab Pro 10, Absolute 4, Iconica Opus
HW: CC121, Maschine MKIII, UR44, Motu Micro Lite and analog synths and stuff

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Other but 440Hz tuning with VariAudio

The tip comes from Not A440 tuning? thread. Thank you @Ibanezrg7620 for the inspiration.

- Select the Audio event.
- Set the Fine-Tune to -38 cents (a bit of math..., this calculator might help).
- Then you can tune in VariAudio graphically the very same way, as if you would tune to 440Hz. The Fine-Tune is applied after VariAudio, so it will correct it to a=432Hz.

If you want to tone in 442Hz (what is also common request), set +8 cents.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

someone know how to assign Pre Filters/Gain to midi controller ?

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,
djgraver wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:52 pm
Oh, this one again... Here we go.

You can assign PreGain to the Quick Control in the track. Open the Quick Controls tab, click to the field and choose Input Filter > PreGain.

If you want to integrate it to your Generic Remote Device, assign it to the Quick Controls first, then in the Generic Remote Device in the bottom, assign VST Quick Controls Manager > Device > Quick Control 1 (or the one, you assigned the Pre Gain to).

It's not straightforward, but this is the way.

See attached screenshots, please.
Attachments
2 Generic Remote.png
(11.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1 Quick Controls.png
(35.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:50 pm
Hi,
djgraver wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:52 pm
It's not straightforward, but this is the way.
Nah, it’s too complicated. 100 tracks and I should make this operation for each ones.
Anyway thanks.
Wondering why we can’t do this in simple way, like volume of selected track

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

You could save the Quick Control settings as the Quick Control preset to speed it up.

But I agree, it would be nice to have it in the Generic Remote Device as a parameter. The problem is, there are automatable parameters only in the Generic Remote Device.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

jackryan9666

Post by jackryan9666 »

wow this really helped me a lot man thank you so much and a big thumbs up for there tips

umairch0012

Post by umairch0012 »

Good Post! Thank you. My favorite part "When using Logical Editor"
The more powerful the software the more important setup and templates
become. This should be a regular thread.
Umair

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

Annotation 2020-04-26 172722.jpg
(112.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
i'm curious, is there any fast way to put takes from Lane to selected audiotracks at original position ?

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

djgraver wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:29 pm
i'm curious, is there any fast way to put takes from Lane to selected audiotracks at original position ?
Hi,

No, this is not possible. The takes don't know about the position. It's one long file, which is virtually split in Cubase to the lanes.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

Anyone know, how to revert all changes on recorded audio track?

My client asking for RAW recording.
But there 10-25 takes, and some of them with VariAudio, some with Audio Aligment & etc.

I know the recorded file in Cubase Pool stay untouched, but how to delete modified one, and replace with original recorded?

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

All edited files should be stored in the Edits folder. So if you rename this folder, Cube should use the source files (hopefully).
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:28 am
Hi,
All edited files should be stored in the Edits folder. So if you rename this folder, Cube should use the source files (hopefully).
In that folder sorted only DOP audiofiles, files with Variaudio & warp info stays Virtually inside cubase (as i understand correctly)

I found how to reset changes in every audio clip, i should open Audio Editor:
1. AudioWarp tab - press Reset
2. VariAudio tab- press Functions - Reset all changes.
This method works, but i should do this in every clip.

Tried to make macro with this 2 function, but no luck :(

Paul Coyle

Post by Paul Coyle »

djgraver wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:29 pm
I think, if you hold down CTL whilst dragging them they will snap to the same position! If you also hold ALT + CTL and drag they will copy to the same position!
Not sure if this will work with the range tool though, just snip the original file to taste and use the above modifier.
Cheers,
PC
DAW W7 32Bit-Cubase 8.0 Wavelab 8.0.3-Core2 Quad Q9400-4 Gb Ram-Lots of HDD's-Dual Monitors-Old, but solid! Interface AD/DA MOTU 24i/o (CueMix 4.0.6.6814)) Monitoring Genelec 1029A's-Yamaha HS10W Sub
Console-Pre's Yamaha PM2000 24/8-146kg of analogue goodness

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

Any one know is there a way to send Channel Name to Lemur/metagrid/touchosc & etc.?
The idea is see Channel name beside faders on iPad.

Also, I wonna map my akai apc mini, which has RGB pads, to some macros/actions inside cubase. For ex. When I push “open folder“ light on, when I push it again light go off.
Just for visual feedback

skillet

Post by skillet »

djgraver wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:51 am
Also, I wonna map my akai apc mini, which has RGB pads, to some macros/actions inside cubase. For ex. When I push “open folder“ light on, when I push it again light go off.
Just for visual feedback
Mess around with the Generic Remote in Device Setup and play with the toggle settings. That can get messy though if MIDI messages are not received, the light can become reversed and there is nothing I am aware of that keeps the command. You'll need to see what messages are sent when pressed and released. MIDI monitor is a great little app that is free for Mac.
macOS 10.14.6 | Mac Pro (Late 2013) | Processor: 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 | Memory: 32 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC

Cubase 10.5.20 | Nuendo 10.2 | WaveLab Pro 10 | Pro Tools 20.3 | Logic 10.4.8

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR44 | MIDI Interface:MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV; MIDIMan 1x1 | MIDI Keyboard: Alesis QS8.2; Kork Nano Key | Control Surface: MCU (Mackie Control Universal); Korg Nano Kontrol; PreSonus FaderPort; Shuttle Pro 2; CC 121; FD Fader Controller; Softube Console 1

Stootz

Post by Stootz »

Creating cycle markers from the Arranger track (for navigation and to export loops)

I often mark out a song using the arranger track first (as it's easier to see from across the studio whilst I'm playing an instrument) but I use the Marker track window when I'm mixing, so I can navigate quickly between sections, or during export for specific cycle marker sections.

It's done on a macro (not completely elegant though it does save a lot of key presses) which creates one cycle marker per arranger segment, then moves to the next arranger segment with one key press - so you have to press the key you bind to the macro multiple times (once for each arranger segment), but it's better than the alternative (select arranger block, press p, press "insert cycle marker" and repeat).

So, the macro looks like this:
arranger to cycle markers screenshot.JPG
(13.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Make sure you are on the Arranger track or it will just create cycle markers for the events of the track you're on!
There's probably some elegant way of integrating the macro into the Project Logical editor to make it more robust but this works for me for now.

There isn't a way to do this in reverse (ie create the arranger track from markers) within a macro as there is no "create arranger block" in the command list, unfortunately!

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Stootz

avviano

Stream Deck / Custom Cubase Icons / DYI Hardware Control Unit

Post by avviano »

Here is my tip:

You can easily make your own very professional DIY Cubase / Nuendo hardware controller. I bought a Stream Deck, custom made all the Cubase icons for the LCD buttons and can now access all my important key commands and DAW functions through visual buttons.

You can check out more images here!

It's actually pretty cool, because the icons will also toggle on / off and give visual feedback (eg. automation panel opened / automation panel closed)

I created over 60 stylish buttons / icons which are kept within the Cubase / Nuendo design philosophy (red / white / black).

Cheers,
Walter
Nuendo 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Absolute Collection 4 (Halion 6). UR-824, Yamaha HS7 W, Yamaha Subwoofer, Lorenz Acoustic Studio F1-80 (1979!), Cubase Midi / Key Command Controller: Stream Deck XL. Programmable studio mouse: Roccat Tyon.

Win 10, i7-4790 CPU, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 970.

Songs: https://soundcloud.com/avviano/tracks

drdrdrdr

Post by drdrdrdr »

Stootz wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:55 am
Creating cycle markers from the Arranger track (for navigation and to export loops)

I often mark out a song using the arranger track first (as it's easier to see from across the studio whilst I'm playing an instrument) but I use the Marker track window when I'm mixing, so I can navigate quickly between sections, or during export for specific cycle marker sections.

It's done on a macro (not completely elegant though it does save a lot of key presses) which creates one cycle marker per arranger segment, then moves to the next arranger segment with one key press - so you have to press the key you bind to the macro multiple times (once for each arranger segment), but it's better than the alternative (select arranger block, press p, press "insert cycle marker" and repeat).

So, the macro looks like this:
arranger to cycle markers screenshot.JPG
Make sure you are on the Arranger track or it will just create cycle markers for the events of the track you're on!
There's probably some elegant way of integrating the macro into the Project Logical editor to make it more robust but this works for me for now.

There isn't a way to do this in reverse (ie create the arranger track from markers) within a macro as there is no "create arranger block" in the command list, unfortunately!

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Stootz
Interesting but isn’t it easier to use the arrangers themselves to navigate around when mixing each individual section and even export ?

drdrdrdr

Re: Stream Deck / Custom Cubase Icons / DYI Hardware Control Unit

Post by drdrdrdr »

avviano wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:00 am
Here is my tip:

You can easily make your own very professional DIY Cubase / Nuendo hardware controller. I bought a Stream Deck, custom made all the Cubase icons for the LCD buttons and can now access all my important key commands and DAW functions through visual buttons.

You can check out more images here!

It's actually pretty cool, because the icons will also toggle on / off and give visual feedback (eg. automation panel opened / automation panel closed)

I created over 60 stylish buttons / icons which are kept within the Cubase / Nuendo design philosophy (red / white / black).

Cheers,
Walter
Doesn’t this end up taking more clicks / time to scroll through the pages of buttons to get to what you want as opposed to just directly using a key command or macro ?

avviano

Controllers (Stream Deck) vs. Keyboard

Post by avviano »

Of course I use key commands as well, but also the Stream Deck and I even have some key commands stored in my mouse (Roccat Tyon). I am sure you could also make good music using just a plastic bucket, but a guitar or keyboard are still nice to have if you know what I mean (;

Using the Stream Deck comes in handy when you work long hours or when you are under time pressure, its nice to have a little helper to make your workflow a little smoother and can fall back on colorful easy to read icons that don't need much brain power.

It's also great if you work with many apps (like Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Cubase, Wavelab). Good luck remembering 200+ key commands. Stream Deck can sense which app you are working with and will then serve you the icons you need. Its also great for a URL link list. I just got done configuring it to use IFTTT... with it I can now control all my smart home devices, turn on / off lights, air condition heating aso. Pretty nerdy but very convenient.

I find it very helpful because you can use it for many things (also for streaming with OBS). If you want more icons, there is also the Stream Deck XL which has 32 LCD keys.
Nuendo 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Absolute Collection 4 (Halion 6). UR-824, Yamaha HS7 W, Yamaha Subwoofer, Lorenz Acoustic Studio F1-80 (1979!), Cubase Midi / Key Command Controller: Stream Deck XL. Programmable studio mouse: Roccat Tyon.

Win 10, i7-4790 CPU, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 970.

Songs: https://soundcloud.com/avviano/tracks

Return to “General”