clipping on way in, playback level shows as -3.0

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
AMPAGE

clipping on way in, playback level shows as -3.0

Post by AMPAGE »

I am still sorting out some hardware issues and levels, but as an experiment I tracked a DI that was way too hot on purpose and clipping like crazy on the way in but on playback it never registers higher than -3.0 on the meter. Why is this?

Here is the track where you can see the insane waveform and the meter to the left showing nothing higher than -3.0.

https://ibb.co/HVxzKmS

how/why is this only showing -3.0 on meter?
Cubase Pro 10.5.20.179 - Ryzen 3900x - 32GB DDR4 - Windows 10 - RME Fireface 400 - DYNAUDIO BM6A Mkii - Dynaudio BM5 MkIII - Kemper Rack - Neve RNDI - Focusrite ISA One - Mogami Cable - Guitar Addict

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: clipping on way in, playback level shows as -3.0

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

Maybe there is built-in compressor/limiter at your Audio Device...
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

AMPAGE

Post by AMPAGE »

it is rme fireface400 and there are no such settings I am aware of. it's all default.
Cubase Pro 10.5.20.179 - Ryzen 3900x - 32GB DDR4 - Windows 10 - RME Fireface 400 - DYNAUDIO BM6A Mkii - Dynaudio BM5 MkIII - Kemper Rack - Neve RNDI - Focusrite ISA One - Mogami Cable - Guitar Addict

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

Do you have a limiter at your Input Bus?

Did you record 16/24/32/32-float/64-float bit depth?
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

AMPAGE wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:18 pm
I am still sorting out some hardware issues and levels, but as an experiment I tracked a DI that was way too hot on purpose and clipping like crazy on the way in but on playback it never registers higher than -3.0 on the meter. Why is this?

Here is the track where you can see the insane waveform and the meter to the left showing nothing higher than -3.0.

https://ibb.co/HVxzKmS

how/why is this only showing -3.0 on meter?
Because the metering is set „post panner“ (which includes pan law levels) and your project pan law is set to -3 dB, or maybe equal power.

AMPAGE

Post by AMPAGE »

ok cool. i changed PROJECT setting instead of equal pan low to be 0db and now it peaks at 0dB. what if i want to see the ACTUAL signal, including all of the awful clipping?

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

AMPAGE wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:07 pm
ok cool. i changed PROJECT setting instead of equal pan low to be 0db and now it peaks at 0dB. what if i want to see the ACTUAL signal, including all of the awful clipping?
„Meter input“ but you will not see anything higher than 0dB.

AMPAGE

Post by AMPAGE »

thanks for the feedback. i have ordered an audio technica 10dB inline attenuator that should help with the crazy hot output of my ISA one DI signal.

Return to “General”