Is there a way to switch how Cubase handles editing automation points?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
nicolaslaget

Is there a way to switch how Cubase handles editing automation points?

Post by nicolaslaget »

Ever since Cubase 10 the default way automation points are edited feels bizarre to me.
When I select the volume curve (for ex) of one area I would like to be able to drag the volume of that area down precisely at the point in time I've selected. This is easy to do: drag the top handle down.

Except for Cubase now leaves the automation before and after the selected area intact.
This creates a very abrupt jump. More often than not the result is not musical at all. Almost nothing in music jumps in a vertical line.
When it does it is an exception, for effect.
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.53.33 AM.png
When I select and area to go down, 2 new volume automation points are created instead of moving the ones I selected.
(110.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Is there a way to tell Cubase to handle automation points like it used to. So: if I select and area defined by a starting data point and and end data point and drag the entire area down, do NOT create two additional data points but instead move the ones I selected.

Resulting in something like this:
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.53.54 AM.png
This is what I wish happened. It used to behave like this. It makes much more musical sense.
(86.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet

J-S-Q

Re: Is there a way to switch how Cubase handles editing automation points?

Post by J-S-Q »

You can select the automation points and then use the Info Line to adjust their value without creating sudden 'vertical' jumps. I really like the additional automation editing functionality that has been added personally.
Cubase Pro 9, Win10
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X. MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X399. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GV-N96TSL GeForce 9600GT. SYSTEM DRIVE: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg MR816-CSX CONTROLLER: Avid S3, Avid Artist Transport

wavespeed

Re: Is there a way to switch how Cubase handles editing automation points?

Post by wavespeed »

Is this the only way? Using only the info line?

Return to “General”