Noise on track monitoring and recording in CUBASE 10.5.20

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
planarchist

Re: Noise on track monitoring and recording in CUBASE 10.5.20

Post by planarchist »

I have now tried this with my RME interface (Digiface USB) and don't see this issue with Loopbacks on or off. I tried vocals and a guitar FWIW, no difference to the signal whether Cubase monitoring on or off.

I notice the OP wasn't on an RME card, but a Yamaha one.
Last edited by planarchist on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

I have had something similar happen. I think it is a Windows issue, as it did not happen on the first few Win10 versions.
If I set my RME Raydat as Windows Audio in and out, everything is fine until i start to change the buffer size on the RME.
Then I same kind of digital distortion.
I tried updating the driver for the RME and that fixed the issue until I changed the buffer size again.
Disabling these WDM audio channels in the RME driver and audio is back, no problem changing buffer size and in general better performance.
My Yamaha keyboard has a audio device build in, so i set windows to use that for it's audio and use totalmix to monitor those inputs.

So, simply said try avoid using your RME for any Windows sound, use it purely for ASIO.
It might be something completely different, but it is worth a try. You may have to fiddle a little back and forth with the buffer size to reset or boot the computer before you see any effect.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

ade2

Post by ade2 »

Hi, thanks for responding!
peakae wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:54 pm
I have had something similar happen. I think it is a Windows issue, as it did not happen on the first few Win10 versions.
It might be a Windows issue because this noise just appeared out of nowhere one day when I wanted to record bass for a client and my Windows updates remained on automatic even though I updated manually the other day to the 2004 version in hopes that there will be an improvement.
peakae wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:54 pm
If I set my RME Raydat as Windows Audio in and out, everything is fine until i start to change the buffer size on the RME.
Then I same kind of digital distortion.
I tried updating the driver for the RME and that fixed the issue until I changed the buffer size again.
Disabling these WDM audio channels in the RME driver and audio is back, no problem changing buffer size and in general better performance.
My Yamaha keyboard has a audio device build in, so i set windows to use that for it's audio and use totalmix to monitor those inputs.

So, simply said try avoid using your RME for any Windows sound, use it purely for ASIO.
It might be something completely different, but it is worth a try. You may have to fiddle a little back and forth with the buffer size to reset or boot the computer before you see any effect.
I tried setting UFX II as Windows audio but the noise still appears when I route input channels that I want to use to record through.
Changing buffer size or sample rate doesn't make any difference.
I'll try to get RME support to help me through TeamViewer one more time because I really need this fixed asap, hopefully this time there'll be progress!

Thanks for your time anyway!

Gpotts

Post by Gpotts »

Hi I have had this exact same issue tonight on my 10.5.20 installation. It may be irrelevant but I had left my pc in sleep mode rather than shut down something I do not usually do. SubsequentLy Cubase crashed when I restarted the pc and I had difficulty restarting. Then I found I have this issue. Restarted but no change. I’m using a Yamaha UR22 Mk 1 interface.
Regards

Geoff

ade2

Post by ade2 »

Solved it! It was the effin faulty UFX II USB cable.

I didn't even think that the cable could be the issue because I was using the same USB cable before this noise suddenly started appearing. I don't know what happened in the meantime and how the cable suddenly stopped working properly, it would make sense that it would stop working completely if it broke. I just grabbed a new cable from the tech store this morning and voilà!

Apologies to everyone for wasting your time over a problem as stupid as this. I kinda knew the issue will be something absurdly stupid.

So @edrvera try replacing your USB cable or changing your USB port connection. I hope this helps!

Cheers ;)

Gpotts

Post by Gpotts »

Also solved for me - The generic ASIO had become set post the crash. Reset the UR22 driver and now ok.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

Ahh the good old cable defect. USB and even SATA cables die on me all the time.
Depending on the way audio gets transferred using USB it is possible to avoid that. I believe RME USB3 interfaces use a different transfer modus.
Audio would not be degraded but simply would not arrive if the error correction/detection gets overwhelmed.
Anyway thanks for reporting the solution, the USB cable is often overlooked when it comes to audio degradation.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

Glad you got it sorted an thanks for letting us know, as peakae says USB cable often overlooked.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

edrvera

Post by edrvera »

any notice from Suport??

ade2

Post by ade2 »

peakae wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:59 pm
Ahh the good old cable defect. USB and even SATA cables die on me all the time.
Depending on the way audio gets transferred using USB it is possible to avoid that. I believe RME USB3 interfaces use a different transfer modus.
Audio would not be degraded but simply would not arrive if the error correction/detection gets overwhelmed.
Anyway thanks for reporting the solution, the USB cable is often overlooked when it comes to audio degradation.
planarchist wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:51 pm
Glad you got it sorted an thanks for letting us know, as peakae says USB cable often overlooked.
Yup, I honestly didn't even think of it or thought that might be the issue but I'm so glad I managed to sort it out.
edrvera wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:50 am
any notice from Suport??
From Steinberg support no which is disappointing, but I've contacted RME support and they got back to me.
Maybe try contacting some of their other support emails/dealers for help.
I hope you manage to fix your issue!

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos »

Hm.
Cubase 10.5 Pro from SX3, WaveLab Pro 10, Groove Agent 5, iC Pro remote app, Win10 64-bit (2004 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 32G DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, Radeon RX570 Graphics card, Mackie 1640i (FireWire via TI chipset PCI-E card), 1K iRig Pads, StudioLogic Numa Compact 2X 88-Key, and Roland FP-30.

edrvera

Post by edrvera »

Gpotts wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:35 pm
Also solved for me - The generic ASIO had become set post the crash. Reset the UR22 driver and now ok.

Solved !, Uninstalling the generic low latency asio driver.

The noise is gone!

This uninstall bring me problems ??,

Thank you very much for the interest and your responses!

Regards!

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

edrvera wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:01 pm
Solved !, Uninstalling the generic low latency asio driver.

The noise is gone!

This uninstall bring me problems ??,

Thank you very much for the interest and your responses!

Regards!
Glad you got the problem solved.

Were you using the Low Latency Driver? If not I can'rt see how that would have been the problem. If you were, then why?

Nevertheless you shouldn't have any problems having uninstalled it unless you want to run Cubase with an interface without its own ASIO driver as that is when the Low Latency Driver is used.
Nic

ade2

Post by ade2 »

Hey that's great news! Glad you managed to fix it.

As @planarchist said, you want to run Cubase with the interface's ASIO driver so the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver is futile in this case.

Cheers

Return to “General”