What does cubase have that Studio one and logic doesn't

Control Room Mixer
VST Preset manager. Very useful for saving, recalling and organizing synth presets for virtual instruments.
Load in any plugin by typing the first few letters of that plugin.
Load in any preset by typing the first few letters of that preset.
Comp Tool and faster audio comping
Group track recording and comping with audio quantize
Create midi from hit points. Useful for creating drum trigger from real drums.
Assign any midi button or knob to almost any function to create custom controllers and workflow.
Process audio and plugins on a track/clip - very useful for graphical mode Auto Tune or Melodyne.
Quickly hide folders of tracks and certain track types from an external touch screen app or Eucon, or custom midi controller.
32 & 64 bit audio engine.

Those are the functions are keeping me in Cubase. Swapping DAWs would be a decrease in workflow. I get annoyed at the drag and drop feature of Studio One and the comping in both Logic and Studio One the most.

Logic is impressive but falls apart quickly if you have to record a full band or do a lot of vocal tracking and comping, it also has no way to manage your custom sounds and synth presets and you spend forever creating fxbs or using whatever outdated method each individual synth plugin uses - although some are better than others, they are all slower than the preset manager in Cubase.

In saying that, I still recommend Logic to anyone who has a mac and is starting out. For $200 Cubase can’t really compete with it in terms of price. Functionality wise, Cubase is better but you pay a lot more for the extra features. I’ve worked in studios that have engineers that have used logic for 30+ years. You have to learn a lot of shortcuts to get fast at Logic and even then, Cubase does most things faster. Studio One is even slower because you have to drag and drop everything.

If Logic, Studio One or even Luna were to copy these features and put them in their DAW(s), Steinberg and Cubase would be in trouble.

I find it easy in Logic using the library. I just load the plugin and change presets from the library without even opening the plugin window but I am trying to find a similar workflow in Cubase.
Is there a tutorial that you know of about Vsti presets?
I am trying to use media bay for presets but each time I double click a preset a new instrument track is created. I just want to change the preset keeping the instrument on the track and I don’t want to do it from the Plugin window header.

Thanks

Click on the programs section below the MIDI
channel number / section in the inspector.

I have tried Garage Band, Logic, Presonus Studio One, Mixbus, Cakewalk Sonar, and a few others, and I haven’t found anything with even 50% of the power and features of Cubase. You may not even know you need something Cubase does until one fine day you discover it, and it’s suddenly your new favorite thing ever. I may complain here and there, but Cubase is extremely thorough and powerful.

I literally just posted a complaint about the preset browsing in cubase, but the thing is that it’s the best in the business at letting you save and load presets for everything. rack inserts. tracks. vst settings. midi patterns in the drum system (groove agent) or the midi inserts. dozens of places inside Cubase have preset save and preset load features, and this alone is a reason to stay with Cubase.

Some weird midi filtering capability? Some weird midi inserts capability? Check. Check. Check.

Some incredible scripting or macro capability? Check.

Some kind of routing or mixing or advanced automation thing that’s incredibly hard to do on any other daw? Check.

I was listening to a music production podcast run by an Ableton LIve guy, and they were talking about MIDI polyphonic aftertouch capabilities, we’re talking basic MIDI message types here, and Ableton LIve can’t handle it. WHAT? WHAT? It’s that kind of thing that keeps me on Cubase.

I agree with wpostma, BUT

Cubase has a lot of great features, but usually they need to be polished… and they hardly often do that.
Cubase has a lot of bugs, and sometimes can be workflow breakers (like the one in 10.5 with Expression Maps). As they don’t affect the whole community of users of the program, they hardly often fix them.

At least, this is my feeling since I’m user of the program (Cubase 9).

Other DAWs have great features.

Studio One 5 has the browser and the drag and drop component, which is also in Cubase but in a less convenient way.

Digital Performer has chunks (they work like flows in Dorico).

And, well, a lot of things. I think every great DAW has its good points and its flaws. And I find fun discover new things in other DAWS (which may help you work better in your main DAW).

I’m looking forward to seeing how Steinberg fixes all the bad things they did in Cubase 10.5 (which not affected everybody, but affected me) in the future Cubase 11.

The library in Logic only displays the default synth presets, not ones you create yourself. I assume you’re just browsing stock sounds and aren’t using any 3rd party soundbanks. That’s very limiting. In Cubase, try saving and loading sounds/presets that you like so you can load them up when needed. You have to open the instrument window but trust me, it’s much faster than browsing hundreds of useless presets you’ll never use in Logic.

I don’t know of any tutorials showing the workflow I’m describing but if you were in my studio you’d see me do it all day lol. I sometimes stream live on Twitch from the studio but eventually you’ll probably see me do it on the Current Sound YouTube channel. You just use the blank box thing above each instrument window to save and load your presets.

The library in Logic does show user presets. General presets (including track summing stacks and track presets) are under ‘User Patches’ at the top of the library window.

If a plug-in or insert is selected (showing a blue triangle) then custom presets and default presets are displayed in the library too.

I use a pretty comprehensive preset system in Logic, really easy to use.

+1

Great I will check your youtube channel :slight_smile:
By the way Logic Library does show user presets and patches :slight_smile:

Thank You.

Hi…how can You made an A/B plugins comparison in cubase? thanx

You press the A/B button…? :astonished:

Thanks I didn’t know that. Do you know if there is a way to convert FXBs to Logic Library user presets? I have a program that can convert all my Cubase instrument presets to FXBs. It would be good to be able to port them over to Logic somehow? There are unfortunately thousands of them but I could maybe do the best hundred or so if there was a manual way of doing it?

Most virtual instruments have their own proprietary preset format these days. I have some saved presets for certain synths in their own format for when I’m using other DAWs but it’s a pain in the ass as it takes forever to load them in some synths. I assume I could save each one in Logic after it has been loaded the first time? That might be worthwhile for my own personal laptop.

Also, do you know if it’s possible to move Logic presets from one system over to another? With Cubase you can copy the whole VST Presets folder from one computer to another to keep them both up to date with my latest presets.

I use Logic mainly on projects for other studios, it would be good to be able have all my presets I made in Cubase in there if it was possible.

Unfortunately I’m not aware of a way to convert presets between formats.

For Kontakt presets, I used Keyboard Maestro to automatically cycle through and save presets from libraries.It saved a huge amount of time, even if it was a little fiddly to set up to begin with! The same method can be used with many VI’s depending on how well they interact with KM.

Yes, you can share Logic presets between computers. Either by copying them directly or syncing,

I sync using Dropbox and aliases. So my Logic presets are always up to date on my desktop and laptop.

I don’t understand…I mean, having 2 plugs in insert chain…For comparison you have to bypass one and listen the other, and viceversa…what a/b button?

That´s what you mean it is. A/B different settings of one plugin is what it is. Done with the A/B button in the plugin GUI.

It refer ti same plugin…I mean A B comparison with 2 different plugs

This is what I do:

• duplicate the track
  • put the B plugin on the duplicate
  • mute the A track and unmute the B track
  • select both tracks
  • press the “m” button to A/B

It seems like there should be a better way though. Not sure any DAWs do this as easily as I would like.

What does Cubase have that Studio One and logic doesn’t have ??? … Me as a customer :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Thanks. Have you tried doing the reverse, using Keyboard Maestro in Cubase to save synth preset to their internal format? I can convert Cubase presets automatically to fxbs but not all virtual instruments can import fxbs.

No, I haven’t tried that way.