Cubase 10.5 HiDPI on Windows 10

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
Gadgetsz

Re: Cubase 10.5 HiDPI on Windows 10

Post by Gadgetsz »

Blumentopferd wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:23 am
I find myself quite happy using my 4k display in native resolution along Cubase 10.5.

If you are using Windows 10, I would suggest to try out if this fixes your problem. I have no scaling issues with any plugins, had them before just as you described.

Cubase 10 looks actually really nice on a 4k Display and it scales nicely, it seems that Windows can cause these scaling issues.

Could you please share a screenshot of your editing window? I got the feeling, you have it scaled on 200%. Even with the solution you described, there seems not to be a solution to scale to 150% 4k (which is the only real advantage of having such a big screen for me).

Ehabmxd

Post by Ehabmxd »

I will expose this company everywhere because it does not respect any of its customers and if the solution is not available before the 11th update
I will not buy the new version (11) and I will transfer all my sessions to Studio One

Just notice the difference
Attachments
s1.png
(624.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Annotation 2020-04-30 201805.png
(163.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Franklinspired

Post by Franklinspired »

Gadgetsz wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:52 pm
Blumentopferd wrote:
I find myself quite happy using my 4k display in native resolution along Cubase 10.5.

If you are using Windows 10, I would suggest to try out if this fixes your problem. I have no scaling issues with any plugins, had them before just as you described.

Cubase 10 looks actually really nice on a 4k Display and it scales nicely, it seems that Windows can cause these scaling issues.

Could you please share a screenshot of your editing window? I got the feeling, you have it scaled on 200%. Even with the solution you described, there seems not to be a solution to scale to 150% 4k (which is the only real advantage of having such a big screen for me).
I work with Cubase 10.5.20 (High DPI on) on a Dell 4K monitor with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 in Windows 10 scaled at 200% and I tried your Windows High DPI settings and variations, but none changed the fact that my Kontakt 6 window and fonts are very very small and I cann't read them, even with my glasses on. In Studio One 4 no problem at all. So in Cubase back to NO High DPi with blurred eye-tiring font!

valkolton

Post by valkolton »

Blumentopferd that does fix SOME plugins from cropping, but not all. Especially when dragging between monitors and monitors of diff resolutions. Also, the plugins like Native Instruments, Korg, Waves are way too small and unusable. Also remember 4k screens are popular in 15" like in laptops, 27, 32, 48, 55, 65 which is why there should be proper scaling % options.

They still need to fix this properly like Ableton/Studio One/Bitwig et al.

Without a PROPER Steinberg fix we will have no HiDPI or blurry fonts... It is also unfortunate that many big plugin companies cannot update their older plugins (Native Instruments/Waves/Korg/etc), especially Native Kontact and Komplete Kontrol - I've asked!

However, its exponentially easier for a half dozen DAWs to work with legacy non-HiDPI aware plugins then redevelop the thousands of legacy plugins because many of the plugin developers + GUI asset artists are probably no longer working for the companies. Many plugins have a lot of hand drawn art to look like the equipment etc. that cannot scale easily like a vector based plugin.

Korg actually responded to my request to update to HiDPI and scaling their legendary plugins and say they will work on it, and they are one by one! Waves just has too many, so I doubt it'll ever happen and Native Instruments I think is having financial problems but they definitely need to update Komplete, Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt, Massive at least IMO ASAP.

Ehabmxd

Post by Ehabmxd »

valkolton wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:51 pm
Blumentopferd that does fix SOME plugins from cropping, but not all. Especially when dragging between monitors and monitors of diff resolutions. Also, the plugins like Native Instruments, Korg, Waves are way too small and unusable. Also remember 4k screens are popular in 15" like in laptops, 27, 32, 48, 55, 65 which is why there should be proper scaling % options.

They still need to fix this properly like Ableton/Studio One/Bitwig et al.

Without a PROPER Steinberg fix we will have no HiDPI or blurry fonts... It is also unfortunate that many big plugin companies cannot update their older plugins (Native Instruments/Waves/Korg/etc), especially Native Kontact and Komplete Kontrol - I've asked!

However, its exponentially easier to update a half dozen DAWs to work with legacy non-HiDPI aware plugins then redevelop the thousands of legacy plugins because many of the plugin developers + GUI asset artists are probably no longer working for the companies.

Korg actually responded to my request to update to HiDPI and scaling their legendary plugins and say they will work on it, and they are one by one! Waves just has too many, so I doubt it'll ever happen and Native Instruments I think is having financial problems but they definitely need to update Komplete, Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt, Massive at least IMO ASAP.
I wrote to the wave company in their forum. They redesigned the StudioRack program from scratch and they also did not add support for the 4K screen so that I have asked them before developing the program and they answered me that they will support these screens.
See this link
https://forum.waves.com/t/new-free-the- ... re/1434/10

The problem is that companies want to sell their products with the addition of flashes only and they do not want to waste time in a problem like this and they are rudely asking us to change the screen settings to 1080p!!!

caustix

Post by caustix »

Ehabmxd wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:57 pm
I will expose this company everywhere because it does not respect any of its customers and if the solution is not available before the 11th update
I will not buy the new version (11) and I will transfer all my sessions to Studio One

Just notice the difference
Yea, I will do the same!

Blumentopferd

Post by Blumentopferd »

Gadgetsz wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:52 pm
Of course. Here is a screenshot of my main editing window. I use a native 4k resolution and my Windows 10 scaling is set to 125% and I use a 32" display as my main monitor. I have a secondary display right next to it where I have a mixer window, my marker window and mostly my movie window, If I have to write to picture.
cubaseeditor.jpg
Cubase 10.5 @ 4k, scaling 125%
(1.01 MiB) Not downloaded yet
I used to have trouble with VST Plugins of all sorts, but when I changed the preferences to what you can see in my previous post, it all was smooth sailing. I never had viewing problems with VSTs since - particularly the ones that don't allow resizing.

dylanmixer

Post by dylanmixer »

I wonder if any of you that threaten to switch to Studio One actually will? Is Cubase not still the most functional, feature rich DAW for MIDI editing? Studio One looks great and has improved a lot in functionality over the years, but still feels very simple and gimmicky to me.

Blumentopferd

Post by Blumentopferd »

To a certain extend I can relate to all that frustration. But after almost 25 years of producing music on and with computers I must admit that it is rarely the software that *knuf* up a production (nor lack of HiDPI) ... (If only I had that piece of equipment, I'd make it...)

HiDPI on MacOS works fine. It is a Windows 10 "feature" that makes 4k displays a little clumsy to use. If you can't accommodate for that, you should consider switching platforms, but not DAWs. Please take that into account when you're ranting about Steinberg and or Cubase.

Off topic and slightly sarcastic:
I would so love for Logic to come back to Windows - I'd be first in line to purchase it. Unfortunately my religion forbids me to touch any Apple hardware or use any Macintosh software, I guess I'm stuck with Windows and Cubase. And please don't tell anyone that I regularly make exceptions if I'm on a Job in some funny Studio that dares to use Apple Hardware! How dare they! :mrgreen:

valkolton

Post by valkolton »

Well, there may be some light down in this long, infuriating HiDPI tunnel vision:

Matthias from Steinberg and Dom Sigalas who does excellent Steinberg Youtube content recently posted:

"We are still working on it. It's not a quick win and the scaling needs a lot of testing and refinement though. Unfortunately there won't be any improvement before Cubase 11." -Matthias from Steinberg

"They are working on it :)" -Dom Sigalas

I actually disagree on how long it takes to develop/implement the plugin scaling/chop fix. It has already been 19 months, so by time 11 comes out that is what 25-30 months, or over 2 years? It is just a few extra monitors for devs (which are cheap now days) and AB test for feature parity with practically any other DAW.

suntower

Post by suntower »

This actually works for me about 85%. Not a panacea, but I can now actually use HiDPI. Yes, I wish I could get the text a bit bigger... and the UI on one or two plugs (Arturia Fairlight CMI) are still outrageously large, but the absolute deal-breaker plugs are now tolerable.

Single 43" 4K display.

THANKS!

---JC
Blumentopferd wrote:

Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf »

valkolton wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:02 pm
Well, there may be some light down in this long, infuriating HiDPI tunnel vision:

Matthias from Steinberg and Dom Sigalas who does excellent Steinberg Youtube content recently posted:

"We are still working on it. It's not a quick win and the scaling needs a lot of testing and refinement though. Unfortunately there won't be any improvement before Cubase 11." -Matthias from Steinberg

I actually disagree on how long it takes to develop/implement the plugin scaling/chop fix. It has already been 19 months, so by time 11 comes out that is what 25-30 months, or over 2 years? It is just a few extra monitors for devs (which are cheap now days) and AB test for feature parity with practically any other DAW.
- I'm glad they are working on it. If they dropped the ball, I would look out for another DAW.
- I'm absolutely disappointed and annoyed, that it took and takes THAT long, with definitely too low priority from my view.

dinusavu

Post by dinusavu »

I've seen all the posts regarding HiDPI on Win 10 until now, because it is very annoying thing. I wrote about Arturia plugins once, here. Though, I must say that there are some VST plugins from Native (for example Massive X) that work OK after the settings that Blumentopferd has pointed. Unfortunately, it is not the case with Kontrol, or Kontakt (!). Maybe because they are not resizable (yet), in "standalone" mode. I even quarreled with a guy from "plogue.com" and he told me to change things in registries, which of course, is a b***sh*t (because after making the changings, the "bidule" window was big enough, but the characters and other items were still very small, so it was useless). From my experience, all the resizable "standalone" VST's works fine in Cubase 10.5 (the last example is Omnisphere 2). I would be very interested in finding a solution, because I have also a 40" monitor (from 2016...).

valkolton

Post by valkolton »

dinusavu wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:27 pm
I would be very interested in finding a solution, because I have also a 40" monitor (from 2016...).

Unfortunately the only solution is to wait for Cubase/Nuendo 11 (unless they change their mind due to enough users somehow), turn off HiDPi and have blurry text that makes it seem like you need to go to an eye doctor or use another DAW.

Or downgrade and buy another 1080p monitor (I did this too), but then you'll encounter more scaling/DPI/menu bar problems dragging windows across the screens that makes you turn red. :oops:

Also agreed Native really needs to update Kontakt/Komplete but NOBODY is asking for it in their forums except Windows Cubase/Nuendo users!

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

Blumentopferd wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:15 pm
It is a Windows 10 "feature" that makes 4k displays a little clumsy to use. If you can't accommodate for that, you should consider switching platforms, but not DAWs. Please take that into account when you're ranting about Steinberg and or Cubase.
+1
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.20 • WaveLab 10.0.40 • SpectraLayers 7.0.10 • HALion 6.4.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

Kypresso

Post by Kypresso »

valkolton wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:02 pm

So something that was supposed to be in cubase 10, will now not be ready until cubase 11.

If they think i'm paying again to get something i have already paid them for then they will be very disappointed.

They seem to be promising and not delivering, not something that impresses me at all.

dinusavu

Post by dinusavu »

So something that was supposed to be in cubase 10, will now not be ready until cubase 11.
Yeah... I know. I'm waiting for this (major) change from Cubase 9, and it still isn't available yet. I know people who quit Cubase for this reason. I'm wandering why Steinberg do not listen to us, people who bring them (a lot of) money. It isn't a major thing to change/repair but, loosing clients...?? Do they afford this? Maybe they do. But these days the world is changing (in minutes). Generally, the updates are for free (not for Steinberg, of course). So, what's the point? They make questionnaires, and the conclusions are ... theirs. Nothin happens. Sadly...

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

HiDPI works as advertised, as far as I know. They never promised full HiDPI in Windows.
It is very optimistic to think that Cubase 11 will change that. It will be improved surely.
Lowering expectations would be my advise, this could take years.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Kypresso

Post by Kypresso »

peakae wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:53 pm
Are steinberg lowering their prices at the same time i supposed to lower my expectations?

Anyway, i've lost interest in their second rate coding and first rate BS.

I have no problems with other daws and their plugin handling on 4k, so steinberg will have to lower their expectations of any money going their way from me, i'm off.

suntower

Post by suntower »

peakae wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:53 pm
HiDPI works as advertised, as far as I know. They never promised full HiDPI in Windows.
It is very optimistic to think that Cubase 11 will change that. It will be improved surely.
I'm (reasonably) happy with the workaround posted above. I think if the code simply prevented the VSTi interfaces from being over-sized, I'd be OK. There needs to be a way to separate the font size in -Cubase- from the renderings in the plug-ins.

I frankly think SB should lean on plug-in devs a bit to get -their- UIs to conform. (I'm talking to YOU Arturia). Most plugs seem to work OK for me. But a few (like Arturia) seem to want to do things non-standard.
Last edited by suntower on Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

valkolton

Post by valkolton »

MrSoundman wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 pm
Blumentopferd wrote:
It is a Windows 10 "feature" that makes 4k displays a little clumsy to use. If you can't accommodate for that, you should consider switching platforms, but not DAWs. Please take that into account when you're ranting about Steinberg and or Cubase.
+1
MAC vs WINDOWS and Microsoft Team's Response POV Firsthand Story

And for all you Mac users that say this is a Windows thing, it is not. Supporting many resolutions/framerates/technologies like HDR is a cornerstone of Windows and why gaming, VR and now AR only runs perfectly now on Windows OSs- not a Mac. Games/VR/AR need so many resolution/framerate/HDR/holographic options and Microsoft gives us developers the power to get under the hood and empower all!

I had a NDA with with Microsoft at my previous company where I was CEO of V-MODA (division of ROLAND), we worked with them on headphones, Midi 2.0, XBOX, store sales and more. HiDPI was more of an issue circa 2015/2016 and by 2018 the Windows best practices had been implemented by almost all major flagship 3rd party software and games, but that was ~2-5 years ago!

I was at Microsoft HQ the days of October 6, 2015 when the Surface Book was launched; I noticed they put a unique 3:2 HiDPI display with an unknown 3240 x 2160 3:2 resolution on their flagship SurfaceBook vs 4K 3840x2160 16:9. I asked their team why 3:2 and was worried the DPI/resolution issues would hurt music software like Serato that we were working with in partnership with Roland's DJ-808 and other controllers.

They assured me they were working to give the developers the docs and tools to make HiDPI a reality in every resolution and DPI, 21:9 widescreen and also 3:2 should also be supported in the OS+APPS as it is a great ergonomic aspect ratio for holding devices in your arms for devices of the future (and like the new Surface DUO coming out)!

In short, this is NOT a Windows vs Mac issue.

As I tell my engineering teams in similar situations and I think this applies to Windows HiDPI:

"DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY." -YODA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No

matthewmooremusic

Post by matthewmooremusic »

MrSoundman wrote:
Blumentopferd wrote:
+1

matthewmooremusic

Post by matthewmooremusic »

valkolton wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:01 am
MrSoundman wrote:
Blumentopferd wrote:
+1
MAC vs WINDOWS and Microsoft Team's Response POV Firsthand Story

And for all you Mac users that say this is a Windows thing, it is not. Supporting many resolutions/framerates/technologies like HDR is a cornerstone of Windows and why gaming, VR and now AR only runs perfectly now on Windows OSs- not a Mac. Games/VR/AR need so many resolution/framerate/HDR/holographic options and Microsoft gives us developers the power to get under the hood and empower all!

I had a NDA with with Microsoft at my previous company where I was CEO of V-MODA (division of ROLAND), we worked with them on headphones, Midi 2.0, XBOX, store sales and more. HiDPI was more of an issue circa 2015/2016 and by 2018 the Windows best practices had been implemented by almost all major flagship 3rd party software and games, but that was ~2-5 years ago!

I was at Microsoft HQ the days of October 6, 2015 when the Surface Book was launched; I noticed they put a unique 3:2 HiDPI display with an unknown 3240 x 2160 3:2 resolution on their flagship SurfaceBook vs 4K 3840x2160 16:9. I asked their team why 3:2 and was worried the DPI/resolution issues would hurt music software like Serato that we were working with in partnership with Roland's DJ-808 and other controllers.

They assured me they were working to give the developers the docs and tools to make HiDPI a reality in every resolution and DPI, 21:9 widescreen and also 3:2 should also be supported in the OS+APPS as it is a great ergonomic aspect ratio for holding devices in your arms for devices of the future (and like the new Surface DUO coming out)!

In short, this is NOT a Windows vs Mac issue.

As I tell my engineering teams in similar situations and I think this applies to Windows HiDPI:

"DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY." -YODA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No
+1

misnoma

Post by misnoma »

Thank you! I was experiencing serious Cubase UI issues on my setup with mixed 4K and HD monitors. Not just too small, but menu click targets changing, drag & drop malfunctions and more.

This change of setting solved my issues.

:-)

Blumentopferd wrote:

Cubase Pro 10.5, Dorico 3, Windows10, MacOS10.15. RME 9632.

DevilFish

Post by DevilFish »

Where is the fix ?
Cubase 10.5 @ Ryzen 9 3900X (Win10)
Behringer UMC1820 & ADA8200, Elektron Analog Four MK2, Moog Subsequent 37, Behringer Neutron, Roland TR-8, Arturia Drumbrute, Behringer Deepmind 12D, Arturia Keystep, Moog DFAM, Analog Solutions Generator, 2x114HP Modular System, Philips Momentum 42,5“ 4K UHD Monitor, Mackie XR824

Return to “General”