Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
keto88

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by keto88 »

Ditch that garbage Win8, but make it available for Win7.

currentsound

Post by currentsound »

I updated to Windows 10 last year. Before then, I was using Windows 7. Since everything works on Windows 10 even including some discontinued 1990s plugins via jBridge, I don't see any reason not to update. My discontinued all in one mixer, control surface and interface didn't have Windows 10 drivers and I had to install the Windows 10 firewire legacy driver to get it to work. That was the only issue. I might have had to enable unsigned drivers, I can't remember. Basically, in terms of hardware drivers, generally speaking, if it runs on Windows 7, it will run on Windows 10 but you may need to enable unsigned drivers and some firewire interfaces will require the firewire legacy driver which has been removed in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 but can be re-installed from this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... s-8-1-or-w

KenD

Post by KenD »

Suppose no need to ask whether my VST 5.1 running on Windows 2000 is no longer supported? πŸ˜‚
Sorry for my 1st post to not be a serious one but I love the forum having followed for decades with VST and am about to invest in a full new complete system, with Cubase 10 Pro on an i7 PC on Win 10 Pro and look forward to listing my gear once up & running and joining in & assisting with associated topics. Thanks to you all for great input and advice πŸ™πŸ‘
Cubase 10.5|HALion Sonic SE| NI Komplete 12 |Groove Agent SE
WIN10|QuietPC Custom Built |i7-9700 32GB RAM : 2x 1TB SSD's
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
NI Maschine Micro MK3
Alesis M1 active monitors
Phillips 43" 4K screen monitor

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 »

KenD wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:21 pm
Suppose no need to ask whether my VST 5.1 running on Windows 2000 is no longer supported? πŸ˜‚
Sorry for my 1st post to not be a serious one but I love the forum having followed for decades with VST and am about to invest in a full new complete system, with Cubase 10 Pro on an i7 PC on Win 10 Pro and look forward to listing my gear once up & running and joining in & assisting with associated topics. Thanks to you all for great input and advice πŸ™πŸ‘
I still have VST 5.1 on an older 'puter. Went to Cubase Studio 5 after that and now have migrated to 10 Pro.
There are still some older projects that I have to transition to the newer setup which is close to what you're investing into.
Good luck with your new purchase!
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

StefK

Post by StefK »

Matthias Quellmann wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:13 pm
The upcoming maintenance updates for Cubase 10 will still be tested on Windows 7 and 8, but Cubase 10.5 will only support Windows 10. We decided to announce our future strategy as soon as possible to give all of you still running W7 or W8 system enough time to prepare.
Hi Matthias,

On the matter of Cubase 10.0 and Cubase 10.5

Q) When is the missing 'replace audio' function coming back into our 10.0 that SB removed from 9.x ?

viewtopic.php?f=250&t=121484

regards,
/Stef
Cubase 9.x|Reason 10.x|Halion6,HSO]|NI Komplete 9|VI-Labs Ravenscroft275
WIN10|GA-Z370-G7|8086K|64Gb|SAMSUNG-970|Thunderbolt3|UAD-Apollo.X6
Win 7 |GA-X58|W3680|12Gb|SAMSUNG 850|ECHO-MIA
MacBook Pro|MR816:CSX| Maudio:FW410 | Line6:KB37

garymusic

Post by garymusic »

Along these lines, what is the upgrade for MacOS?

macOS Sierra
macOS High Sierra
macOS Mojave
macOS Catalina

Will future Cubase version drop support for older OS? When will you drop support for Sierra and High Sierra.
Cubase Pro 10.5,0, WaveLab Pro 10, Dorico 3.5, ProTools 2019-12, MacBook Pro i7, macOS 10.14.6, Apogee Ensenble Thunderbolt Interface, UAD-2 Plugins, Big Ben || Yamaha 01V96V2 Mixer (control surface and recording monitor)

ca-booter

Post by ca-booter »

Same here. Waited a long time for trying out W10 but now after upgrading from W7 I can say that W10 to me is more stable and runs finer with realtime audio and Cubase10 and also somewhat less CPU consumption compared to W7 wioth the same projects (I still have my W7 SSD).
Hardly any problems after the upgrade from W7-Home to W10-PRO.
I still use my older FW Yamaha N12 as Audiointerface, it still works great without having to install a newer/any FW driver.
Everything was present after the upgrade and working just fine. Also with my 2 graphic cards and 3 monitors.
I also did not want to do a fresh W10 install becasue of the loads of software, plugins, authorisations, presets etc..... way too much work and time consuming.
After the W10 installation I installed the freeware Winaero Tweaker which is a super handy tool for preventing W10 from updating itself and your drivers. Also the classic shell which gives me the W7 looks which I like much more.
Every time there is a W10 update I first read what it contains, make a full back up of my C-drive(which is super easy and fast so I do this weekly)
and then I install the update and check how stable Cubase works. Is there a problem I go back to my previous backup which is even faster done and then I wait till there is a new fix. This was the case with the 1903 update.
I am glad I upgraded to W10 !

What I still hate the most in WIndows is if you need a new computer that one cannot simply mount your excisting C-SSD in the new computer and proceed working.
PC ASUS i7-2600 3,4Ghz |Win10-Pro 1909 SSD | 16Gb DDR3 | ASUS R5230 graphics | Cubase Pro 10.5.20, user since Atari | Wavelab 10 EL | Absolute 3 | SuperiorDrummer3 | Yamaha-Steinberg N12 FW | Steinberg UR816C+Behringer ADA8200 | Behringer X-Touch One | M-Audio Axiom 61 | Fishman TriplePlay | Lexicon MX200, Strymon Volante, Art Pro VLA II, Art Pro Channel II, Klark Teknik: KT-2A, 1176-KT, 2* EQP-KT

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 »

ca-booter wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:27 am
Same here. Waited a long time for trying out W10 but now after upgrading from W7 I can say that W10 to me is more stable and runs finer with realtime audio and Cubase10 and also somewhat less CPU consumption compared to W7 wioth the same projects (I still have my W7 SSD).
Hardly any problems after the upgrade from W7-Home to W10-PRO.
I still use my older FW Yamaha N12 as Audiointerface, it still works great without having to install a newer/any FW driver.
Everything was present after the upgrade and working just fine. Also with my 2 graphic cards and 3 monitors.
I also did not want to do a fresh W10 install becasue of the loads of software, plugins, authorisations, presets etc..... way too much work and time consuming.
After the W10 installation I installed the freeware Winaero Tweaker which is a super handy tool for preventing W10 from updating itself and your drivers. Also the classic shell which gives me the W7 looks which I like much more.
Every time there is a W10 update I first read what it contains, make a full back up of my C-drive(which is super easy and fast so I do this weekly)
and then I install the update and check how stable Cubase works. Is there a problem I go back to my previous backup which is even faster done and then I wait till there is a new fix. This was the case with the 1903 update.
I am glad I upgraded to W10 !

What I still hate the most in WIndows is if you need a new computer that one cannot simply mount your excisting C-SSD in the new computer and proceed working.
The key posts you made for me are the Winaero Tweaker and the Classic Shell. Not having the options for the updates is what kept me from upgrading to 10 and having the 7 look is comforting. Thanks for the heads up!
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

For me, both of those utilities (Winaero Tweaker and the Classic Shell) were great, and I used them for a long time. But they themselves required maintenance, and after a while I got tired of the research and time needed to keep them going.

I have found that without them everything's fine, I gave up some customization, but things are more stable now. I have had zero OS problems, with updates paused or without them paused.

The one non-Windows OS thing I use is to replace Windows Exploder- it's FreeCommander XE, totally geeky and customizable, and leaves the OS alone.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

-steve- wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:31 pm
Windows Exploder
When did MS get so agressive
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

theRoyal1

Post by theRoyal1 »

SledDriver wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:08 pm
jaslan wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:47 am
I have been a Windows user of every version since Windows 3 and Windows 10 is the most reliable and stable yet.
+1

I've been a user since Windows 1.0 :-) and Windows 10 is not only the most reliable and stable but includes key changes to low level stuff specifically targeted at improving low latency real time applications like Cubase.

This historic ambition to keep running older computer hardware OS's and applications is one of the main culprits for instability and slowed development for many years. Ditching the old stuff and moving forward is a very healthy thing to do.

But note, nobody is forcing your hand here. The old stuff will continue to work fine if it is working fine now - ignoring security risks. I for one wouldn't dream of going back to anything prior to WIn10, but I do still only run CB9.5 as for me it provides all I need and is rock stable.
This happened when I was on a rock XP. I didn't want to move anywhere and I didn't until 7. I had Vista on my Media center and dj laptop and while they were solid too for what I was using them, XP was it for me at that time.
On a rebuild I moved to 7 and the same thing. Kept it until just this year where I finally jumped to 10 as I didn't want out dated drivers and system incompatibility issues.

So upgrading is one thing,choosing when to is important too as when you get the latest and greatest you are opening yourself to downtime and troubleshooting. Let the OS mature, especially if your system works.
Custom WS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=12TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+ Platinum | CM Cosmos II
Cubits : Cubase 10.5.12b123
CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI | 2xCMC-FD | CMC-QC

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti + Virus C | Maschine Studio + Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Roland XV-5080 + JV-2080 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MicroMain27 Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU MidiXT | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Seiki SE50UY04

A Flat Minor

Post by A Flat Minor »

rumbero wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:45 am
Steinberg, I will stay with Win 7. I won't let MS blackmail me to upgrade to Win 10. There is simply no reason to upgrade to Win 10 instead of MS blackmailing users to do so, which is simply inacceptable. If you won't support Win 7 anymore, you are blackmailing me to upgrade to Win 10, just as MS does. This way you are forcing your users to change to another DAW.
And what will you do when that other DAW also stops supporting W7? Post another screed claiming blackmail, perhaps?

But I'm still PO'd at Steinberg for dropping support of my Radio Shack TRS80./sarc

Or maybe it's really the W7 laggards who are blackmailing Steinberg, threatening to withdraw their patronage unless Steinberg continues to waste money supporting an outdated OS.

In a competitive marketplace, all must eventually move on or be left behind. Steinberg is moving on...and so will you at some point.
What do you get if you throw a piano down a mineshaft?

SoundOf

Post by SoundOf »

Windows 7 was good, but 10 is (much) better! Windows 8/8.1, seriously, that was like Vista, a mistake! You should upgrade to 10, your computer will run faster, and if you are paranoid about being spied on etc, keep it offline, and there are things you can disable if you do need to be online.
Cubase Pro 10.5 / Reason 11 / Steinberg UR44 / Nektar Impact GX61 MIDI Keyboard / KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors / Rode NT1A Mic / Komplete 11 Ultimate / Reveal Sound Spire / Synthmaster 2.9 / Synthmaster One
Win 7 / Intel Core i7-3770 / Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H / 16GB (4 x 4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz / Noctua Dual Radiator CPU Fan / Main Drive - Samsung SSD Pro 840 250GB / Sample Drives - 2 x Toshiba 3TB HD P300

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

I respect this decision has to be taken. As has been mentioned above, MS announced the EOL of Win 7 a long time ago.

My hope is that programmers are going to be able to deliver significant improvements to the product and technology based on what Win 10 offers. If that's the case then must be a correct decision. We're all kind of at the mercy of the big tech companies but we've all also decided we want to use this program and technology so the vendors do set the rules. I don't say I "like" this situation, but we are where we are, and we use what we use. All in all, it seems development is going in the right direction for the most part -- issues known and unknown notwithstanding.

I've not yet "converted" to Win10 and I'm suffering version lag syndrome at the moment, but that's OK. The win 10 conversion and update to Cubase Pro 10.5 is on the horizon.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

As of last week, you can still use your old win7 key in a new Win10 install.
I don’t think MS really cares, they don’t make any money selling the OS to individuals.

One thing that does not get mentioned very often is that the zombie load, spectre etc. patches in Win7 really can hinder performance. In Win10 they are moved from user kernel to system kernel and have virtually no impact on performance ( depending on the cpu used)
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 »

I hadn't upgraded to 10.5 yet but I've migrated to W10. I've had great success with W versions back to Millenium. Maybe too good.
After upgrading to W10, I noticed no difference in performance with maybe the exception of a quicker boot time. I've even had a few glitches with it, including a BSOD. I build my own computers and the main studio 'puter is more than capable.
I've always run with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but I guess companies want to fix it for you at their pace, not yours. I am aware of the rise of technology and appreciate new cutting edges. I also know that if I am happy with a particular setup, I can work with that till I'm finished, as long as I don't upgrade OS or DAW.
I have 2 SSDs of my last setup of W7 Pro and 2 NVME M.2s of W10 Pro, any of which can be dialed up during post. That lets me progress at my own speed and desire.

Will

nettydrown

Post by nettydrown »

There are SO MANY reasons to get up to speed with win 10 - and I feel your pain. It is my pain too! Truly dislike (hate!) win 10, it is a bad actor,,, but this is my/your/our music platform. Was something I also HAD to do for my UAD Apollo Thunderbolt. It is the reality not just for Steinberg, really makes little sense to blame Steinberg, and worser yet it will not help you. So here is the important part of my message - just use your favorite search engine on the web and type in "can i still upgrade to windows 10 for free" - this time window for your FREE ticket to do this is on borrowed time and is running out as you read this! Just get it done! (trying to be your tough love provider) Sorry!
Cubase 10.5.20 Absolute 4 ASUS X99 i7-5960X 3GHz Win10 pro64 16GB, os is ssd, audio is ssd, 2 cascaded silver thunderbolt Quad Apollo's Console 2.0 v9.11.0 11-06-2019 build 65970 w80 UAD plugins.

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 »

Already paid $40 for it 4 years ago when I built this current 'puter. My sister got her W7 upgraded for free though.

Makzimia

Post by Makzimia »

Forget technology reasons, one over arching reason alone should drive you, IF you are EVER connected to the Web, security!!!.
To see the world as a grain of sand, is to understand our insignificance. Do something spectacular, and shine!.

Logic Pro X 10.5.1 / Cubase 10.5.20 Pro / Studio One Pro 5.0
Macbook Pro 2018
OSX 10.14.6
6 core 2.6GHZ i7 16GB RAM
UA Apollo Quad TB3
X-touch
SD 3 / NI 12 Ultimate CE / Ozone 9 Adv. Neutron 3 Adv.

adrianww

Post by adrianww »

Leaving aside the Win10/Win7 arguments, what if your nice stable Win7 machine is connected to a bunch of audio hardware and other devices that aren't supported (or are very poorly supported) in Win10? That's the position I find myself in at the moment.

All of my gear has been mothballed for a few years. I've only recently managed to get it all back out of storage and get it up and running again. OK, no problems there, everything running fine with Cubase 6 on a Win7 box. I like Cubase and figured version 6 was pretty long in the tooth so I'd look at upgrading and was looking forward to trying C10.

Ah, except it may not work. Which is my first real question - if I buy the latest C10 upgrade from C6, will it install and run on Win7 or not? I'm not too hassled about support, I'm just curious whether it will actually work. I've looked through this thread and a few others, but haven't found a definitive answer one way or the other.

If it won't, I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who would say "Hey, you should just upgrade to Win10!" Except that then means upgrading my PC (possibly) and upgrading a heap of other external hardware (definitely). So, instead of spending a couple of hundred pounds on a Cubase upgrade, I'm looking at an additional couple of thousand pounds (probably more) to upgrade everything else as well. Yeah, not going to happen (even if I did have a couple of grand going spare).

So where to from here? If the C10 upgrade won't actually work on Win7, is it possible to pay for the upgrade and then get an installer for a previous version (9 or whatever) that would work? Again, I'm not bothered about support so long as I can get something a bit more up to date that actually runs.

Or do I just stick with Cubase 6? Or move to something else?

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

adrianww wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:28 pm
Leaving aside the Win10/Win7 arguments, what if your nice stable Win7 machine is connected to a bunch of audio hardware and other devices that aren't supported (or are very poorly supported) in Win10? That's the position I find myself in at the moment
Give some examples of the devices you have that won't run under Win 10. I run a load of old gear, including firewire devices that supposedly doesn't work in Win 10 and they run fine - there's a difference between 'supported' and 'works'. You won't get -ANY- support for majority of Win 7 connected apps/hardware now*, so there's no difference running unsupported hardware on Win 10 vs unsupported OS.

(*Most support channels will tell you to update to latest versions to allow them to support you.)

For me, I find the opposite in that devices i have are not supported or updated for Win 7 anymore so they no longer received fixes and/or additional features to work in conjunction with new software or hardware that i own - so being on Win 10 is by far the better option.

If i ever found myself in a position where i was cornered with the hardware i was using i'd make it a priority to shift it while it still had value and upgrade - or else the day will come where you're forced to make the move and you'll be super un-prepared for it, the longer it's left the harder it becomes too - as the initial legacy support/fixes that exist for Win 10 for older hardware may exist today, but the files go down in 12 months time as demand drops.

adrianww

Post by adrianww »

skijumptoes wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:34 pm
Give some examples of the devices you have that won't run under Win 10. I run a load of old gear, including firewire devices that supposedly doesn't work in Win 10 and they run fine - there's a difference between 'supported' and 'works'. You won't get -ANY- support for majority of Win 7 connected apps/hardware now*, so there's no difference running unsupported hardware on Win 10 vs unsupported OS.
Main one is probably my trusty Focusrite LS56. Yes, it may still work (probably will I'd guess), but I'm not going to take the risk of ending up with a system that can't ship audio in and out at all. And certainly not for the dubious pleasure of ugprading to Win10 (which, regardless of what others may say, has consistently been an overly-intrusive, underperforming and occasionally unstable pain in the backside whenever I have used it in either home or corporate environments).
(*Most support channels will tell you to update to latest versions to allow them to support you.)

For me, I find the opposite in that devices i have are not supported or updated for Win 7 anymore so they no longer received fixes and/or additional features to work in conjunction with new software or hardware that i own - so being on Win 10 is by far the better option.
I can appreciate the reasoning there, but I don't necessarily agree with it. If I've got a stable system that works and pretty much does everything I want, I'm not going to start dropping perfectly useful hardware just for the sake of updating something else - particularly if it's just a software update. As I said, I'd like to run a more up to date version of Cubase, but if it means I've got to start updating loads of other bits and pieces just so I can run Win10 to do it, that would be a firm no from me.
If i ever found myself in a position where i was cornered with the hardware i was using i'd make it a priority to shift it while it still had value and upgrade - or else the day will come where you're forced to make the move and you'll be super un-prepared for it, the longer it's left the harder it becomes too - as the initial legacy support/fixes that exist for Win 10 for older hardware may exist today, but the files go down in 12 months time as demand drops.
Well, except I'm not cornered. All of this stuff pretty much does what I need it to and I can probably keep running it until the hardware itself actually gives out or I decide that I want to replace it anyway. Security isn't an issue, since I can just isolate the audio PC from the net entirely (and usually do). In the meantime, I just wondered whether there might be a way to run a more up-to-date version of Cubase than the old one I've currently got. I suspected the answer to that would probably be no, so if push comes to shove I'll just keep using v6.

Thanks for taking the time to answer though.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

adrianww wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:04 pm
Main one is probably my trusty Focusrite LS56. Yes, it may still work (probably will I'd guess), but I'm not going to take the risk of ending up with a system that can't ship audio in and out at all.
Exactly what i run and it goes through the cheapest FW card i got off ebay too, it's working with ADAT connected OR with a little Saffire Pro 14 via the focusrite FW link option. And the MIDI port is running an old Mackie Universal control surface (Via MIDI cables).
And certainly not for the dubious pleasure of ugprading to Win10 (which, regardless of what others may say, has consistently been an overly-intrusive, underperforming and occasionally unstable pain in the backside whenever I have used it in either home or corporate environments).
To be fair, you said removing the Win7/10 arguments - so, i was replying based on that premise. But if you want to go back to subjectively speaking I've not found unstable or intrusive at all - and that's in home and corp environments also - infact, i've found it to be far better reliability in a corp environment vs previous windows versions due to the changes in what runs in system kernel Win 10 feels more sandboxed than Win 7.

In an audio environment it's just so much more stable than Win 7 and i can remain up to date too meaning all my security protection is up to date and my external/local backup solutions work flawlessly. I couldn't even backup to the cloud using my longterm plan if i was on win 7.
If I've got a stable system that works and pretty much does everything I want, I'm not going to start dropping perfectly useful hardware just for the sake of updating something else - particularly if it's just a software update. As I said, I'd like to run a more up to date version of Cubase, but if it means I've got to start updating loads of other bits and pieces just so I can run Win10 to do it, that would be a firm no from me.
To simplify, you've got two options - stand still, or move - it's really that simple. The longer you stand still the more outdated you become as a whole.. The sooner you move, you may experience a small part of your setup to be outdated, but that's far better than being 100% out of date.

You're already wanting to move which suggests that you're not altogether happy with your current setup and want more, and it doesn't matter if you go with Cubase or any number of DAWs you will at some point want new hardware and that will force your hand as it won't come with Win 7 support out of the box - then what do you do?

As i said before, you're best to move quick while people are still using older hardware with Win 10 to aid you with help and driver/tips tricks - because it will dry up eventually, and files that people put up on filesharing sites start to obsolete the files as they're not downloaded for 30 days etc.
Well, except I'm not cornered. All of this stuff pretty much does what I need it to and I can probably keep running it until the hardware itself actually gives out or I decide that I want to replace it anyway. Security isn't an issue, since I can just isolate the audio PC from the net entirely (and usually do).
If you don't feel that sticking with a 10 year old OS, cutting off use of the internet for fear of what you may encounter, and accepting that you cannot add to the system with modern hardware isn't being cornered then go with that option. From the outside that's very much putting yourself in a corner, so ensure you have everything you need should you need to restore that machine incase of failure(s) because the download links will start to dissapear.
In the meantime, I just wondered whether there might be a way to run a more up-to-date version of Cubase than the old one I've currently got. I suspected the answer to that would probably be no, so if push comes to shove I'll just keep using v6.
As i touched on before, there's a difference between 'supported' and 'runs' - and Cubase 10/10.5 both 'run' on Win 7 (Minus a few features in 10.5 such as video exporting) - But as long as you accept very little will be 'supported' moving forwards with Win 7, as soon as you step into the C10/10.5 update cycle there's always the possibility that you will hit other obstacles that would normally be resolved via driver/os updates for most users. Particularly in regards to bugs.

So it's your call if you want one foot in 2020 and the other in 2010, really. If it were me, i'd go all in, or not at all... Heck, i moved from Mac to Win 10 for audio, and i was expecting it to be hell - but it's been fantastic, even old hardware that no longer worked on MacOS was given a new lease of life on Win 10.

Second to that, it's so easy to just install a test build of Win 10 to see how it performs with your hardware.

adrianww

Post by adrianww »

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:35 pm

Exactly what i run and it goes through the cheapest FW card i got off ebay too, it's working with ADAT connected OR with a little Saffire Pro 14 via the focusrite FW link option. And the MIDI port is running an old Mackie Universal control surface (Via MIDI cables).
That's interesting to know. Not entirely surprised, but good to know nevertheless. Thank you.
To be fair, you said removing the Win7/10 arguments - so, i was replying based on that premise. But if you want to go back to subjectively speaking I've not found unstable or intrusive at all - and that's in home and corp environments also - infact, i've found it to be far better reliability in a corp environment vs previous windows versions due to the changes in what runs in system kernel Win 10 feels more sandboxed than Win 7.

In an audio environment it's just so much more stable than Win 7 and i can remain up to date too meaning all my security protection is up to date and my external/local backup solutions work flawlessly. I couldn't even backup to the cloud using my longterm plan if i was on win 7.
Yeah, I know. My experience of Win10 has definitely been very different to yours and I'm not a big fan of it. But it's not a deal breaker really. I'll probably have to put up with it at some point. Either that or just shift everything over to Macs or Linux boxes. (My old Mac Pro is even more venerable than my audio PC, can't run anything newer than El Capitan and still goes like a rocket and doesn't cause any grief. I don't use it for audio though.)
To simplify, you've got two options - stand still, or move - it's really that simple. The longer you stand still the more outdated you become as a whole.. The sooner you move, you may experience a small part of your setup to be outdated, but that's far better than being 100% out of date.

You're already wanting to move which suggests that you're not altogether happy with your current setup and want more, and it doesn't matter if you go with Cubase or any number of DAWs you will at some point want new hardware and that will force your hand as it won't come with Win 7 support out of the box - then what do you do?

As i said before, you're best to move quick while people are still using older hardware with Win 10 to aid you with help and driver/tips tricks - because it will dry up eventually, and files that people put up on filesharing sites start to obsolete the files as they're not downloaded for 30 days etc.
In this case, stand still it probably is then. All of the gear still works as is. It still records perfectly and can run more than enough software instruments, etc. for my purposes. There's nothing about it that would hold me back from doing whatever I want for the foreseeable future. This is just my own amateur music room, it's not a commercial studio or similar facility.

Yes, when I got everything back up and running, I did wonder about a more up to date version of Cubase, but it's purely a WIBNI ("Wouldn't It Be Nice If...") rather than a requirement. From what you've said below, it sounds like it may well run on a Win7 box anyway, so I might give it a try at some point. Although first I'll probably check to make sure that I can fall back to v6 if it doesn't actually work.
If you don't feel that sticking with a 10 year old OS, cutting off use of the internet for fear of what you may encounter, and accepting that you cannot add to the system with modern hardware isn't being cornered then go with that option. From the outside that's very much putting yourself in a corner, so ensure you have everything you need should you need to restore that machine incase of failure(s) because the download links will start to dissapear.
Well I don't need to cut off from the Internet. I have other machines I use for that. The audio PC spent most of its time isolated anyway, even when it was all current (other than downloading updates as needed). So it's not being cornered as far as I'm concerned. In fact, it's given me one of the most stable setups (of any type or for any purpose) I've ever had. I'm not going to mess with the whole show (hardware and software) just for the sake of being on the latest version of X, Y or Z. I was just curious whether the option was there. Sounds like it may be, but it also sounds like it could be more hassle than it's worth (as far as I'm concerned).
As i touched on before, there's a difference between 'supported' and 'runs' - and Cubase 10/10.5 both 'run' on Win 7 (Minus a few features in 10.5 such as video exporting) - But as long as you accept very little will be 'supported' moving forwards with Win 7, as soon as you step into the C10/10.5 update cycle there's always the possibility that you will hit other obstacles that would normally be resolved via driver/os updates for most users. Particularly in regards to bugs.
Well, thinking about it, if the system is working fine and there aren't any additional features I require, if things aren't being updated or changed I'm probably less likely to encounter obstacles than ever before really. We've all experienced that "essential update" that then broke something at some point! If I just stick with what I've got until it all falls apart completely, I can probably look forward to several more years of trouble-free operation before having to worry about anything.
So it's your call if you want one foot in 2020 and the other in 2010, really. If it were me, i'd go all in, or not at all... Heck, i moved from Mac to Win 10 for audio, and i was expecting it to be hell - but it's been fantastic, even old hardware that no longer worked on MacOS was given a new lease of life on Win 10.

Second to that, it's so easy to just install a test build of Win 10 to see how it performs with your hardware.
Well, one foot in 2020 and one in around 2015/6 I think (since that was when everything pretty much went into storage).

Thanks again - you've really helped me to clarify my own thinking on this matter. I'll suspect I'll just give it a miss and stick with what I've got. By the time I actually do need to change anything, we'll probably be looking at Cubase 18 and Win20 or some such! :lol:

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 »

I've seen posts from users still on W7 that have confirmed their system worked with the latest Cubase version. That may differ depending on hardware and software compatibles on different systems. If you want to be sure, there's probably a trial version of Cubase 10 wherein you can make that determination yourself with your current system.
As I mentioned in an above post, my latest 'puter has both W7 & 10. I used W7 to fall back on in case W10 gave me trouble. I run Cubase version 10.0.50 on both with no problem. That's just one removed from the latest version.
Upgrading to W10 didn't change much especially if running in "classic" mode which makes it feel more like W7. I definitely think there's a difference between upgrading from 7 or doing a clean install of 10. What made me feel safe in upgrading was having a spare HD with everything on 7 the way I needed it, then using another HD to experiment with. That way you're fully covered in the event of incompatibilities, hardware and all.
I still have a W7 computer online with no problems. I feel safe just using a good antivirus.
Worst case scenario, just keep W7 offline and load drivers and such from a protected machine.

Return to β€œGeneral”