Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
skijumptoes
Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by skijumptoes »

adrianww wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:24 pm
Yeah, I know. My experience of Win10 has definitely been very different to yours and I'm not a big fan of it. But it's not a deal breaker really.
Thing is, i've never considered the OS to be a massive factor - as odd as that sounds, being in the Mac world for so many years i'd see that yearly excitement for the next OS... And i'd never understand it - Myself, i just work - if i open up Cubase, or any other app, it doesn't matter if it's MacOS, Linux, WinXP, 7, 8 or 10 - i'm only focused on the app itself, outside of the walls of that app just dissapear.

I've never had to deal with a machine crashing and instabilities since way back in the XP/2000 days. I think as a matured user you just learn how to maintain a solid OS no matter what so perhaps i generally have a smooth ride of things by sticking to the basics.

Also, i find it very important to check my setup and ensure that all my backup/restore plans are in place - so i do a clean install/restores etc. every 3-4 years regardless. It's the only true way of knowing and keeping your backup plans 'real world' effective. Again. That's just me. :)
There's nothing about it that would hold me back from doing whatever I want for the foreseeable future. This is just my own amateur music room, it's not a commercial studio or similar facility.
It doesn't matter what level you are though, if you want access to online sharing, backups, or sample libraries on demand then you have to be connected, and to be connected you need to be secure in the host OS.

Of course, this may not apply to you, but i mainly create straight up guitar based music - but then i do have plugins such as loopcloud where i can lookup sample libraries and try them 'in-place' within my DAW if i want something a bit different, the same with some synths i use and Native Instrument plugins/libraries for orchestral parts. I really like having an online library that i can pick and choose from rather than paying/downloading for 100's GBs to sit needlessly on my drives.
In fact, it's given me one of the most stable setups (of any type or for any purpose) I've ever had.
I would've said exactly the same years ago with older OS's, but with Win 10 it's truly been the best yet. Just because Win 7 works well for you doesn't mean that Win 10 wouldn't. And hey, i thought Win 10 would be hell before using it - i was dead set against it and the only reason i tried it for audio was purely down to finances. I was looking at replacing 2x Mac Pros Xeons (2012) - and the new Mac Pro pricing was announced so i picked up a cheap i7 Win 10 machine from ebay for 250 quid as a tester and it's been fantastic.

I had a Win 7 machine, and it's just so much better than that - but i can't really compare apples to apples due to the CPU's being quite different and SSD in the Win 10.

adrianww
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by adrianww »

skijumptoes wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:27 pm

Thing is, i've never considered the OS to be a massive factor - as odd as that sounds, being in the Mac world for so many years i'd see that yearly excitement for the next OS... And i'd never understand it - Myself, i just work - if i open up Cubase, or any other app, it doesn't matter if it's MacOS, Linux, WinXP, 7, 8 or 10 - i'm only focused on the app itself, outside of the walls of that app just dissapear.

I've never had to deal with a machine crashing and instabilities since way back in the XP/2000 days. I think as a matured user you just learn how to maintain a solid OS no matter what so perhaps i generally have a smooth ride of things by sticking to the basics.

Also, i find it very important to check my setup and ensure that all my backup/restore plans are in place - so i do a clean install/restores etc. every 3-4 years regardless. It's the only true way of knowing and keeping your backup plans 'real world' effective. Again. That's just me. :)
Same here to a large extent. Back in the day, I used to work in the IT business - programmer/software engineer, designer, systems architect, the usual sort of career progression. Even did a stint on the sys admin side for a while. So I can pretty much work with anything, but I've still found Win10 to be a bit of a pain in the backside on occasions, particularly in mixed OS environments. Nothing insurmountable, but sometimes needing more tweaks, configuration hacks and jumping through Microsoft hoops than I feel should really be necessary. And don't even get me started on the telemetry/data collection stuff and proper update scheduling/management. But, as you say, that's just me! :)

Anyway, enough about that side of things. It's not a big deal one way or the other really.
skijumptoes wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:27 pm
It doesn't matter what level you are though, if you want access to online sharing, backups, or sample libraries on demand then you have to be connected, and to be connected you need to be secure in the host OS.

Of course, this may not apply to you, but i mainly create straight up guitar based music - but then i do have plugins such as loopcloud where i can lookup sample libraries and try them 'in-place' within my DAW if i want something a bit different, the same with some synths i use and Native Instrument plugins/libraries for orchestral parts. I really like having an online library that i can pick and choose from rather than paying/downloading for 100's GBs to sit needlessly on my drives.
I'm mainly a keyboard player and singer, although I do also play guitar/bass (badly!) and some percussion (even worse!!)

Like many keyboard players, I'm a curmudgeonly old stick-in-the-mud who beavers away in splendid isolation and doesn't do much in the way of online sharing, online backup services or downloadable sample libraries, etc. I run my own backups here (to separate devices) and, even though it's all a bit out of date now, I've still got way more sounds/virtual instruments/samples/etc. installed on the computer than I'm ever likely to really need. Most of the time, I don't even use what I've got - preferring to muck around with sound design on synths or through guitar effects and what have you.

The real challenge is coming up with decent compositions in the first place. I still haven't cracked that after four decades, but, hey, it's still fun so who cares! :lol:

Suprawill1
Senior Member
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Suprawill1 »

Well I gave W10 a fair try and no, in my case it is "not" more stable than W7. W7 never blue screened on me and W10 has done it 3 times without warning in the middle of 3 separate sessions. For one, I should have installed Winaero Tweaker and prevented microsoft from updating the OS at "their" will. There has been only 2 plus's to the upgrade. W10 boots faster and I'm so called advanced for future technology. To tell the truth, I'd rather have a slightly slower boot and be stable.
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

User avatar
theRoyal1
Member
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by theRoyal1 »

Suprawill1 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:34 am
Well I gave W10 a fair try and no, in my case it is "not" more stable than W7. W7 never blue screened on me and W10 has done it 3 times without warning in the middle of 3 separate sessions. For one, I should have installed Winaero Tweaker and prevented microsoft from updating the OS at "their" will. There has been only 2 plus's to the upgrade. W10 boots faster and I'm so called advanced for future technology. To tell the truth, I'd rather have a slightly slower boot and be stable.
After I got through some blue screens My Win10 has been solid. I held on to 7 too.
Custom WS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=12TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+ Platinum | CM Cosmos II
Cubits : Cubase 10.5.12b123
CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI | 2xCMC-FD | CMC-QC

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti + Virus C | Maschine Studio + Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Roland XV-5080 + JV-2080 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MicroMain27 Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU MidiXT | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Seiki SE50UY04

Suprawill1
Senior Member
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Suprawill1 »

theRoyal1 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:13 am
After I got through some blue screens My Win10 has been solid. I held on to 7 too.
Sounds like you had the time to troubleshoot your causes for the blue screens. I'm a little busy to chase it so I'll just revert to W7 and/or my earlier version of W10.
Were your problems stemming from windows updates being incompatible with some other software drivers?
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

drmq
Junior Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by drmq »

Hello,

I would like to share my story too. Believe it or not I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 because of Cubase. The other programs that I happen to use were all running fine on Windows 7. I was too excited about the new ability to export video and I conceded that it was time to move on...

Result: I upgrade, Intel doesn't provide accelerating drivers any more for my card (HD integrated with Intel® Core™ i3-370M), Windows 10 somehow is able to find drivers and I see everything correctly, VLC still plays all of my videos, my video encoders work perfectly, all my plugins work, I was almost there until I discover that *Cubase cannot play videos now because my graphic card is not supported anymore*.

So, now I come back to run Windows 7 to score videos just because of Cubase. Thank god I didn't uninstall it. It is just absurd. Yes of course, I can buy a new computer but it surprises me that being an audio user with limited resources, I have to do it because my graphic card is not good enough. VLC can perfectly play a video next to Cubase. Why can't I have that? I even tried copying opengl32.dll from Mesa3D to try to load a software emulation of OpenGL and it doesn't work. Not even Microsoft who sells its own computers forced me into buying a new one. Sorry for the negative post, I hope you understand why I am so frustrated.

Suprawill1
Senior Member
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Suprawill1 »

drmq wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:45 pm
Hello,

I would like to share my story too. Believe it or not I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 because of Cubase. The other programs that I happen to use were all running fine on Windows 7. I was too excited about the new ability to export video and I conceded that it was time to move on...

Result: I upgrade, Intel doesn't provide accelerating drivers any more for my card (HD integrated with Intel® Core™ i3-370M), Windows 10 somehow is able to find drivers and I see everything correctly, VLC still plays all of my videos, my video encoders work perfectly, all my plugins work, I was almost there until I discover that *Cubase cannot play videos now because my graphic card is not supported anymore*.

So, now I come back to run Windows 7 to score videos just because of Cubase. Thank god I didn't uninstall it. It is just absurd. Yes of course, I can buy a new computer but it surprises me that being an audio user with limited resources, I have to do it because my graphic card is not good enough. VLC can perfectly play a video next to Cubase. Why can't I have that? I even tried copying opengl32.dll from Mesa3D to try to load a software emulation of OpenGL and it doesn't work. Not even Microsoft who sells its own computers forced me into buying a new one. Sorry for the negative post, I hope you understand why I am so frustrated.
Believe me, I get it! This forum takes the good with the bad so it's ok to vent.
What works for some does not work for all although some expect that it does and put us in the archive section.
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

annras
New Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 4:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by annras »

My EMU1616m audio interface has stopped working in Windows 10v1909. What's so bad about EMU1616m that Microsoft doesn't support it? How much money do I have to spend on an interface with similar capabilities (e.g. 2x MIDI) and what will I get in return, which I don't have in Windows7? This is the reason that I hesitate to upgrade to Cubase 10.5.

Suprawill1
Senior Member
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Suprawill1 »

Some have had success in running CB 10.5 on Windows 7. It's just not supported.
I get glitches when running a computer dedicated to DAW alone on Windows 10 that I never got with Windows 7. That includes Cubase not recognizing a normal shutdown and telling me that it has quit for an unknown reason. I've also had 3 bluescreens and a few Cubase freezes.
I bet I'd never get any of this using CB 10.5 on Windows 7. I surely didn't get it with any other CB versions.
Everyone assumes that we all have the resources to buy and upgrade when "they" want to make the sale and not when we are capable.
I'm a technical person and I enjoy advancement in technology. I just don't always have the budget.
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

User avatar
Mwah
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Mwah »

annras wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:40 pm
My EMU1616m audio interface has stopped working in Windows 10v1909. What's so bad about EMU1616m that Microsoft doesn't support it?
Isn’t it rather that Creative has dropped the support of its product way back in the WIndows 7 days? The newest drivers at the Creative site seem to be dated 2011.

User avatar
Modularnutter
Junior Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Modularnutter »

Advances in technology always takes it's toll on older OS's ... thats understandable
Win 10 - 64 bit ¦ Cubase 8.5/10.5 - Wavelab 10 - Halion 6 - Cmc 3 x Fd ,,Tp, Qc ,Ch ¦ Rme FF/Adi 8 pro

Suprawill1
Senior Member
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Suprawill1 »

Modularnutter wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:38 pm
Advances in technology always takes it's toll on older OS's ... thats understandable
But Windows 10 is the new OS.

In my case, my problems started when I migrated to W10 with all up to date hardware and software technology.
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

November
New Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by November »

Speaking about OS versions... Will Steinberg pro apps be natively compatible with future ARM-only macs? ...and future ARM Windows?

-steve-
External Moderator
Posts: 9665
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by -steve- »

November wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:02 pm
Speaking about OS versions... Will Steinberg pro apps be natively compatible with future ARM-only macs? ...and future ARM Windows?
Let's talk in 2022! :lol:
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

Rhino
Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 am
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Rhino »

November wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:02 pm
Speaking about OS versions... Will Steinberg pro apps be natively compatible with future ARM-only macs?
I sure hope they won't even try. :shock:
better focus on the Windows platform and do it better than the rotten apple logic ...
all that cross platform BS brings is trouble, bugs and half-assed design "decisions" that don't work right for either side. :roll:

Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

November
New Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by November »

Rhino wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:43 pm
November wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:02 pm
Speaking about OS versions... Will Steinberg pro apps be natively compatible with future ARM-only macs?
I sure hope they won't even try. :shock:
better focus on the Windows platform and do it better than the rotten apple logic ...
all that cross platform BS brings is trouble, bugs and half-assed design "decisions" that don't work right for either side. :roll:

Rhino
1000 % agree! I was a real Mac fan, but each year, when a new version of macOS was released, I noticed that more and more apps and plugins I invested real money on... simply stop working! A non-negligible number of them was not updated at all to fit with the new system versions...

Are You kidding, Apple? Can a real professional composer rely on, trust you anymore? I realized the answer is NO.

So last year I said stop. Now I'm windows-only, because it's a system I can trust, which always preserves compatibility with old versions, so your investment is durable, you can be assured that your precious and expansive plugins and apps will keep on working next year, so you can have the peace of mind and not be afraid to update anymore.

- - -
P.S.: For me it's too late, but though I would like to suggest a solution to Apple to satisfy real pros and businesses: make Long-Term Servicing (LTS) versions of macOS, so that subscribers could have regular security updates and bugs corrections, even 10 Years After (RIP Alvin, luv u) the release date.

Rhino
Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 am
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Rhino »

November wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:41 pm
1000 % agree! I was a real Mac fan, but each year, when a new version of macOS was released, I noticed that more and more apps and plugins I invested real money on... simply stop working! A non-negligible number of them was not updated at all to fit with the new system versions...

Are You kidding, Apple? Can a real professional composer rely on, trust you anymore? I realized the answer is NO.

So last year I said stop. Now I'm windows-only, because it's a system I can trust, which always preserves compatibility with old versions, so your investment is durable, you can be assured that your precious and expansive plugins and apps will keep on working next year, so you can have the peace of mind and not be afraid to update anymore.

- - -
P.S.: For me it's too late, but though I would like to suggest a solution to Apple to satisfy real pros and businesses: make Long-Term Servicing (LTS) versions of macOS, so that subscribers could have regular security updates and bugs corrections, even 10 Years After (RIP Alvin, luv u) the release date.
couldn't agree more.
it's not religious for me, I would jump ship in a minute if Apple was a better ecosystem for what I do, but I've got eyes to see.
hell no, not even remotely ... :shock:

but beyond apple squashing, I have always believed in doing one thing excellently, vs several things mediocre.
and let's be honest, the obscene amount of valuable dev time wasted on keeping up with Apple's latest brainfarts would be much better invested in QC and bugfixing of a single Windows version.
I absolutely don't believe ARM will be the future of DAW, and realistically speaking, neither will be those overpriced MacPros, except maybe for a handful of major studios.
why not make a true effort to make the DAW market a pure Windows phenomenon instead, by becoming truly awesome ?
ymmv,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

skijumptoes
Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by skijumptoes »

Rhino wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:55 am
why not make a true effort to make the DAW market a pure Windows phenomenon instead, by becoming truly awesome ?
Mac Coreaudio smashes windows audio architecture though.

i.e. Why no-one can even get aggregation working correctly across audio devices on windows is really poor, really wish MS would do something about it at low level in the OS. It would be a great opportunity to steal audio hearts with the uncertainty for mac users.

Rhino
Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 am
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Rhino »

skijumptoes wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:05 pm
Mac Coreaudio smashes windows audio architecture though.

i.e. Why no-one can even get aggregation working correctly across audio devices on windows is really poor, really wish MS would do something about it at low level in the OS. It would be a great opportunity to steal audio hearts with the uncertainty for mac users.
maybe, maybe not ... :?:
do you have any benchmark comparisons supporting that ?
all I know is that RME ASIO is all kinds of awesome on PC, and my Cu/Mac colleagues usually get really quiet and contemplative at my studio ... :lol:
obviously, I can only lose when they bring up "... but in Logic ...".
yeah, right ... :roll:
been there, jumped ship when they sold out.

the way I see it, users on both sides of the fence can only benefit from Cubendo going PC only.
those who value brand over function will always have Logic, current Windows users will (hopefully) enjoy faster and less compromised progress, and if Steinberg play their cards right (i.e. implement Studio One controller mapping and a boatload of little workflow fixes done right, backwards compatible as far as possible, in C11 with a big bang), serious Mac users will migrate to Cubase soon, and many hobbyists will follow.
None of my Mac colleagues is anywhere near happy with the Apple hardware situation, most still hang on to their pre-toilet brush Power Macs for dear life, as anything newer is either nonsense (no PCIe / HDD slots inside, poor USB if any), or obscenely overpriced like the new generation.
ARM will only alienate them more, it's a consumer architecture only aimed at closing their phoney ecosystem even tighter, crippling the users' options. :(
A switch to Windows has never looked as attractive as it does today, that's what I hear all the time, lately.

ymmv,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

skijumptoes
Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by skijumptoes »

Rhino wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:40 pm
skijumptoes wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:05 pm
Mac Coreaudio smashes windows audio architecture though.
maybe, maybe not ... :?:
do you have any benchmark comparisons supporting that ?
It's not a question of benchmarking, coreaudio is low level (OS) implementation, ASIO is a layer that sits above the OS. This is why multi-client, and/or multi-device support differs so much between audio interfaces on windows machines. On a Mac, you plug in to it's headphone port and you're getting low latency, multi-client support without the need for ASIO4All style drivers.

You then want to use the headphone on your Mac with an external soundcard within your DAW?, then you create an aggregate device and it works. Because it's low level implementation.

The difference is well known, and it's been in MacOS makeup for many years. Y'know, back when they cared for audio users. ;-)
All I know is that RME ASIO is all kinds of awesome on PC, and my Cu/Mac colleagues usually get really quiet and contemplative at my studio ...
Why's that then? RME runs great on Mac, plus Cubase requires the ASIO layer whether you're running Mac or Win, as it's Steinberg standard. I run across both platforms and never felt that using Cubase on windows is 'all kinds of awesome' vs on mac.

Please explain the difference.
those who value brand over function will always have Logic
That's such an ignorant thing to say, you really believe that those running Logic for decades do so because of 'brand'? Most pro studios historically run primarily with with Pro Tools setup, and Logic as a secondary machine/install due to the amount of songwriters who come in with Logic projects. These are musicians/songwriters - not 'in it for the brand' types.

Really, such a strange thing to say.
None of my Mac colleagues is anywhere near happy with the Apple hardware situation, most still hang on to their pre-toilet brush Power Macs for dear life, as anything newer is either nonsense (no PCIe / HDD slots inside, poor USB if any), or obscenely overpriced like the new generation.
I jumped from Mac to Windows and feel like an outcast as no-one else i know has made that move and are very happy with using the new Mac Minis for audio. If you have friends that dislike Macs so much, then why are they still using them when it's cheaper to switch to a windows machine? I could understand if it was the reverse situation due to the price in investing in Macs.
ARM will only alienate them more, it's a consumer architecture only aimed at closing their phoney ecosystem even tighter, crippling the users' options.
It's also a radical move that could transform computing as a whole, Intel have been a thorn for Apple due to the thermal issues which prompted Apple into throttling back the CPUs further than recommended in order to build and maintain the hardware they wanted to market.

Many Mac users feel safe and secure in the Apple ecosystem so being 'locked in' isn't even a concern for them as they feel the alternative move to windows is selling your soul (personal data). I think the more secure Apple make their OS/Hardware the vast majority of it's users welcome change.

Personally for me, the cost of Apple ownership has just got ridiculous, i'm old-school, so like to be able to upgrade my machine when budget or needs dictates (And not at point of initial purchase), and i can appreciate 'security' decisions whereby you can't change an SSD, but when they prevent you from aftermarket RAM expansions - nah, it's getting too much and i don't like those restrictions UNLESS it meant hardware was cheaper due to being 'locked' in place.

And that's the main reason i got out. So i can live in Cheapsville for a bit and watch how things pan out. :)

I feel that Apple will come out of this with some of the most efficient hardware available within a few years. It's whether i'll be willing to pay their asking prices that will be the biggest factor for me.

User avatar
peakae
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3264
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: Bedroom
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by peakae »

Coreaudio has higher latency than asio on PC. Asio is not on top of windows audio but talks directly to the hardware using asio drivers.
Just to be pedantic :-)
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

skijumptoes
Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by skijumptoes »

peakae wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:48 pm
Coreaudio has higher latency than asio on PC. Asio is not on top of windows audio but talks directly to the hardware using asio drivers.
Just to be pedantic :-)
I love pedantic! :)

But seriously, If that is the case then why is the blame pointed at Microsoft as to why we can't create aggregate ASIO devices then? I've got a Yamaha workstation and it has 8 audio outs as part of it's audio interface, it'd be great to utilise that in conjunction with my main interface as is possible on MacOS.

I've only been on Win 10 for audio since last year, and i have still hold the impression that Coreaudio is far better overall due to being baked into the OS. But that could just be a 'thing' that Mac users think is the case, rather than being fact. Because i've had great latency with Win 10 / Cubase, however, i have struggled with multiple apps using the same ASIO device, sometimes even sticking youtube on while in the DAW can knock my sound out, and a complete inability to aggregate devices (ASIO4ALL tries, but it just breaks) - just puts coreaudio up the top in comparison.

Also, referring to latency - there is a difference between lowest achievable latency and useable latency. So it's not always a good barometer when i hear people say x has less latency than y.

User avatar
peakae
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3264
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: Bedroom
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by peakae »

Aggregating ASIO has nothing to do with Microsoft agreed.
ASIO was invented to be used instead of Windows audio, for low latency performance.
CoreAudio is a much better OS Audio, than what MS has to offer.
CoreAudio uses a small buffer to be able to sync. the output of different devices.
RME make great multi-client devices. Although I have had issues running both windows and ASIO on the same audio device with low buffer setting (32 samples)
To be safe I always disable any windows audio on my ASIO devices.
I then run a cable from my windows audio interface to my ASIO audio interface.
This is a nice setup on a stationary system that has enough inputs, but not a viable option for many laptop users.
ASIO performance is greatly dependent on the ASIO driver, and you might very well get better performance using CoreAudio, if the ASIO driver is poorly written.
If only MS had made something more ambitious than WASAPI
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

November
New Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by November »

Gosh...here is again this sterile debate: ASIO vs Core Audio!
(Why not a "PC vs Mac" zero-level-false-debate, while you're there?)

If you take a look at wikipedia, and do a little googling you could realize that these two solutions have exactly the same goal: stream audio directly to the hardware, with zero intermediary between the hardware and the kernel.

There is no superiority of one above another, because they work exactly the same. They both depends closely on the CPU, faster it is, better it is.
In this article from the "Support" section of this site, you learn that:
- Processors with faster cores are preferable to a higher core count for real-time audio performance.
- The more cores are available, the more thread synchronization is required. This can lead to a reduced processing power and slow down the system after all.
- A higher core count might require a different RAM configuration (dual channel, quad channel) for optimal performance.
- A higher amount of CPU cache (L2, L3) can have a positive impact on the real-time processing.
In fact it seems that Steinberg's ASIO is anterior to Apple Core Audio, which was introduced with Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" in 2003, long after ASIO's birth.

Last but not least: you don't need to aggregate audio cards in Windows!

You can have as many interfaces as you want, and addresses them directly with your DAW. For example in Cubase (menu "Studio" > "Audio Connections" you can create as many inputs / outputs / monitor busses as you want, each one corresponding to a real hardware in/out.

You can really work with several ASIO interfaces at the same time in WIndows, even if they're not of the same brand / model, if you have of course installed the corresponding ASIO drivers.

User avatar
peakae
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3264
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: Bedroom
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by peakae »

But you can not use multiple ASIO drivers in Cubase.
Not that I ever want to, that’s why ADAT, MADI etc. are a thing.
This is not a CoreAudio vs. ASIO, both work very well, ASIO has a slight advantage in low latency performance, CoreAudio is more convenient/flexible.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Post Reply

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests