Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
skijumptoes

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by skijumptoes »

November wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:06 am
Last but not least: you don't need to aggregate audio cards in Windows!

You can have as many interfaces as you want, and addresses them directly with your DAW. For example in Cubase (menu "Studio" > "Audio Connections" you can create as many inputs / outputs / monitor busses as you want, each one corresponding to a real hardware in/out.
No, it's with coreaudio you CAN do that, with ASIO you cannot. You are limited to one driver at once. That's literally what's being discussed here, not a vs battle.

Example:- If you have a digital workstation such as a Yamaha Montage you can send and receive audio via it's built-in audio interface (6 Chans in, 16/32 chans out), with coreaudio you can aggregate those together with your main audio interface. With Windows you're out of luck.

November

Post by November »

Sorry, you're wrong. Do as I've done: plug several USB interfaces to a Windows box, install their ASIO drivers, reboot. Then launch Cubase, and go to the Studio menu > Audio Connections. Then add as many Inputs / outputs as you can, or select those you want.

For example if you wanna use only the Inputs of the interface A, and only the outputs of the interface B, you can. Same if you wanna use interface A only for monitoring, B only for recording, and a third C interface for mixing. Or anything you want. You don't have to aggregate anything on Windows, it just works!

Instead of writing, just try. Really try. Then if you wanna talk about it again, you're welcome. But don't write anything until you have actually tried.

JDSStudios

Post by JDSStudios »

peakae wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:11 am

But you can not use multiple ASIO drivers in Cubase.

Yes you can, it’s called Asio4All and most have it working flawless.
Nuendo 10.3, Nuendo 4.3 NEK, Halion 3, Groove Agent, RME 96/52 HDSP 52 Channels ADAT,
Yamaha O2R 24 channel 48 input, Yamaha O1V, Steinberg MIDEX 8, Yamaha Motif Rack,
UAD-1 with jBridge for 32bit plugins, I7 Windows 7 64bit, 32GB RAM, Asus P8Z77 LV-X,
3 Asus 32” monitors, Korg Triton Studio, Korg M1, Roland Sound Canvas 8850 Pro,
Waves Horizon, SSL, X-feedback, Abbey Road, Melodyne 4, MLP, Fractal AX8.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

Asio4all is a hack, it is not something you should use for anything mission critical / professional.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

November wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:56 am
Instead of writing, just try. Really try. Then if you wanna talk about it again, you're welcome. But don't write anything until you have actually tried.
I've tried numerous times, even using ASIO4ALL which makes it 'achievable' but too unstable and kills performance. Outside of that, You are limited to one ASIO driver at a time.

What interfaces are you using? It's possible you are using 2 from the same manufacturer and thus using a single driver, which is linking for you in the background. For example i have 2 Focusrite Saffires that run via firewire and they link together due to focusrites own linking ability - again, this is because it's all going through a single driver.

As a real world example of what someone would like to do, i couldn't use a Yamaha Montage's audio interface with my primary firewire interface, other than within MacOS. This is due to being on seperate ASIO Drivers.

So please follow your own logic and read what i posted previously:-
With ASIO you cannot. You are limited to one driver at once. That's literally what's being discussed here.

November

Post by November »

My experience was years ago with (olds) Lexicon Lambda USB + a Presonus (don't remember the exact model, but it had two inputs and outputs). Both do had (and still have?) good manufacturer's ASIO drivers, I don't talk about ASIO4ALL here, which is no use in this case.

The project was to record our amateur group live, so that listeners (possible contractors) could have a good idea of what it gives in reality.So no re-recordings / overdubs and no punch ins / outs, no cheating, the record has to be as authentic as possible.

So we mixed (with an analog mixtable) the bass in mono and drums in stereo on a mixtable subgroup directly connected to input channels 1 and 2 of the Lambda, and voice and guitars was mixed the same and connected to the 2 inputs of the Presonus.

We recorded the four tracks simultaneously on Cubase 6 on Windows 7 without any problem.

I remember though that we has little synchro issues during the final mix (always on Cubase 6), but nothing unsolvable, thanks to the possibility to finely offset tracks individually. The final result was engraved on an audio CD and served as our main demo during years, and no one ever complained about it. On the contrario, we had many positive returns concerning the quality of the recording.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

While that's a lovely story, it's never been possible to record with two different ASIO drivers into Cubase on a windows system, i'm afraid. So you've either missed something critical from this recount, or it never happened how you remembered. The Lexi doesn't even have ADAT so that wouldn't explain the confusion you may have.

November

Post by November »

Have I ever talked about ADAT? Why do you think about it? It was years ago, we had a very low budget, so we used cheap USB interfaces and cheap analog gear.

All was mixed in - analog -, with an - analog - mixtable, as I said we used the mixtable - analog - sub-groups direct (line) outs, there was 4, connected to the individual line inputs of the interfaces (the main stereo - analog - out of the mixtable was connected to our monitoring system, so we had - sort of - "direct monitoring").

(Slight correction: I just remembered that secondary (not main) outputs of a mixtable was also called "sub-groups", and you could address exclusively the output of individual mix slices to one or several of them, and each of these sub-groups have an individual line output, which was connected to the interfaces. In this special case the sum of the four subs was addressed to the main stereo output for monitoring.)

(Sorry if my explanations seems unclear, my English is very poor, I do what I can with this difficult language).
Last edited by November on Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

November wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:40 pm
Have I ever talked about ADAT? Why do you think about it?
Because you are providing incorrect information, and i was trying to think of what may have confused you into thinking this worked.

I talked ADAT because the interfaces you used 'may' have featured ADAT connections and thus, confused your memory - but that's not the case here, as i specified previously.

So, What you're saying happened, did NOT happen - It is technically impossible to have ever happened, and you couldn't have confused it with an ADAT style connection either.

You cannot today, or yesterday, select more than one ASIO driver within Cubase. If you have found a way, then people will PAY you for the solution, so go ahead and prove it please!

The option to set multiple ASIO driver inputs on your audio connections is an impossibility, without first running something like ASIO4ALL to place them multiple hardware interfaces into a single ASIO Driver, which is not recommended, and neither does it work for me personally.

November

Post by November »

I've managed to reach the bassist (who owned the computer and one of the interfaces), and he said he used something like that.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

Thanks for asking, but i'm already aware of such methods, as stated. The whole point being made is that MacOS handles this on an OS level without additional layers or third party applications - which you disagreed with.

Mike Warren

Post by Mike Warren »

November wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:10 pm
I've managed to reach the bassist (who owned the computer and one of the interfaces), and he said he used something like that.
That software is not ASIO compatible as far as I'm aware. So you wouldn't have got very good latency, not that that matters in the situation you described.
Cubase Pro 10.5 - Windows 10
DigitalFakeBook Free Windows chord/lyric display software for performing musicians.

vinark

Post by vinark »

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... able-free/
I have not tried it, but it sounds if this might be what you need.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

Just to make this clear, i'm not asking for help aggregating devices within Windows, i was purely pointing out that MacOS does aggregation of devices on an OS level. This is because everything goes through CoreAudio, meaning low latency from the get go, even for onboard headphone ports without reliance on hacks such as ASIO4All.

This was in answer to a point someone made that if there was a single OS that DAW developers focused on (To make their products better) that it should be Windows. I opposed that by saying MacOS, arguably, has the better audio architecture baked in at OS level across the board.

That's all that was being said, people are really missing the point of the discussion here.

vinark

Post by vinark »

skijumptoes wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am
Just to make this clear, i'm not asking for help aggregating devices within Windows, i was purely pointing out that MacOS does aggregation of devices on an OS level. This is because everything goes through CoreAudio, meaning low latency from the get go, even for onboard headphone ports without reliance on hacks such as ASIO4All.

This was in answer to a point someone made that if there was a single OS that DAW developers focused on (To make their products better) that it should be Windows. I opposed that by saying MacOS, arguably, has the better audio architecture baked in at OS level across the board.

That's all that was being said, people are really missing the point of the discussion here.
Ah ok I am reading this as it evolves so forgot about this. I agree core audio is a plus.
Cheers

Scili

Post by Scili »

silhouette wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:50 pm
I'm sorry but I think this is unacceptable. I can understand that you will not be supporting Windows 7, but to cast Windows 8.1 users adrift seems a bit harsh, given that there is still Windows support for this version. Why would users who have computers that are still performing well want to upgrade before they need to? I feel that Steinberg has yet again not put the needs of their users before what is convenient for them. This seems to underline the lack of care for long term users.
Exactly.
Dey can’t even fix da scales issues in „pitch correct“.
Years!
Last edited by Scili on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase Pro 10, MacOS Sierra
Wavelab Pro 9.5, Windows 10
Cubase SX 3, Windows XP

Scili

Post by Scili »

gamelany wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:36 pm
I think there is always a time when you have to develop further to survive.
and especially in the technical world this will be the case more and more often.
Updating useless stuff 4 no reason - mankind
Cubase SX 3, Windows XP

Scili

Post by Scili »

Cubase SX on WinXP was da best.
Single-Core wit 1 gigabyte of RAM.
Now I hav a Quad-Core wit 8 gigabyte of RAM but half da performance cuz Win10 eats all da ressources :)
Most updates aren’t progress.
What Cubase needs 2 b da best DAW is a MULTIWARP function in da MAIN WINDOW like Logic, Studio One & ProTools - itz about time!
Cubase SX 3, Windows XP

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

Scili wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:50 pm
Cubase SX on WinXP was da best.
Single-Core wit 1 gigabyte of RAM.
Now I hav a Quad-Core wit 8 gigabyte of RAM but half da performance cuz Win10 eats all da ressources :)
Yup, it's well known that Windows immediately maxes out 3.5 cores and takes 7.5GB of RAM vs WinXP machines. Wish i could find a WinXP machine and do some REAL music, man. Sick of windows 10 taking all my stuff.

On top of that, Variaudio is no better than my old EMU sampler for pitching vocals - what kind of progression is this?!! :( /s

Return to “General”