[10.5.0] Transport Panel (F2) still horrible

That is definitely an issue

+1 (again…)

As it is unlikely that the old transport panel ever comes back I tried some workaround to simulate it combining both the bottom panel and the F2 panel (see attached pic).
This way it is at least possible to “group” the transport buttons with the song position.
Overall I find it this way a little bit more compact and with a kind of “Old Transport Feeling” :wink:

1 Like

… but we shouldn’t have to struggle to find a workaround for a feature that was needlessly broken.

1 Like

Sorry to rain on your parade MrSoundman. But this issue also applies to the fixed lower bar and also the upper one! It just wont scale on a normal 1920X1080 screen! Having all the options available blanks out others. You can only have them visible by disabling others!
Software wise one should at least inform when all space has been taken and no other items can be added? But “Cubase” allows you to add everything and then you discover that you can’t see them! And there is no way to manipulate this other than removing items until there is enough space to display the selection you want to see! If you have all options available on the floating bar it takes more than 1.5 24’ screen to display this all. So it makes sense why it wont fit on the fixed upper and lower bars? Not very 2019ísh! And I expected this to be fixed in this latest upgrade? But to my regret, it still wasn’t!

Rain away!

I have to admit that I submitted a few feature requests to allow the functions for the old floating transport panel to be on the project screen (scalable) top toolbar so that I would not have to use the old floating tp. So I am happy when I combine the available options on the top taskbar and the newer lower zone transport bar. Using them both gives me everything needed for me to eliminate the floating transport panel which for me took up too much space on my one screen home studio setup. Nice.

But, I have to admit that the new floating transport panel is not good for those who like to use it. The design should have been left as it was just prior to CB 9 or improved as mentioned in this topic. Not sure why it was changed but, at this time, it is lame.

Regards. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I still have no idea. Mine works perfect. No complaints here

We’re going around in circles here. If you’ve never used it, fine. If you didn’t even know it was there, fine.
If you haven’t used Cubase prior to version 10, you won’t even know what we’re talking about.

But why then argue for getting rid of something that many, many long-time users have had since the Atari days?

There was nobody hopping up and down annoyed that it has existed for the past 30 years. Why was it fubared?

1 Like

This will likely be my last post on this topic. I do agree that the previous F2 Transport was superior to this “ribbon style” but it seems there’s no thought about restoring it or re-coding a similar one for new versions of Cubase. I think it was an error. The “old” F2 Transport was easier to work with and looked better, it also fit neatly into all editors. I used it a lot. I liked the markers, etc. …

That said, this one issue does not outweigh all the improvements made in Version 10. Any workflow functions I used F2 for are, to be fair, easily available in the program. I don’t “like” the ribbon, but it’s not a big issue in comparison to the updates made to Cubase.

I don’t like skinny scroll bars either, but it seems wide ones are never going to be offered as a preference or a hard code. :frowning:

On the other hand we finally have the ‘do not activate’ project automatically.

Anyway, we tried, but at this point I’m moving on. The side-chain in Ver 10.0.4 alone is worth the trade off and I could go on like that about is better in Ver 10. Too bad about F2. Maybe the next iteration will be more to our liking. And some people actually like the ribbon.

Take care :slight_smile:

No they don’t – they only think they do :stuck_out_tongue: mainly because they’ve never seen it, or never used it, or are confusing it with the Transport Bar at the bottom. Anyhoo … yes, it looks like it’s gone forever. I can even imagine the C++ class in the code that is being used for both the Bar and the Panel and I guess that’s ultimately why the change was made – code reduction.

This practice of making unannounced changes that nobody asked for and then staying stumm on the matter is not inspiring, however.

1 Like

When I started with Cubase Pro 8 and joined the forums people were asking for “restoration” of things from earlier versions. I didn’t really get it. Now I do. Since it was all new to me, I just accepted what was there and worked with it. I think that’s what’s going on with the possible increase of brand new users or converts as a result of the fire sale. I hope that worked because Cubase for half price was pretty bold.

We are right about this regardless :slight_smile: take care. :slight_smile:

I don’t like it. It looks like Cubase 6, never liked the transport buttons, never! In V9 is was so good. Nuendo 10 has the same ugly buttons. Could prevent me from updating. Should have looked closer before updating CB.
An option to choose “old style” would be great. Really. I miss it.

I updated to Cubase 10.5 today and use cubase since 1997 and this one-line transport panel (F2) is horrible and not convenient.
Please bring back the Transport panel like in C 9.5
Or add an option to chose between the new slim minimalist one or the old PERFECT one

thanks

1 Like

Thankfully I use the transport panel less often as I have CC121 and between that + the bar display along the bottom of the screen in C10 I can do most stuff I need reguarly. However when I do press F2, that long single line layout jobby is truly truly terrible. A ridiculous design decision

+1

In previous versions it was perfectly clear what I was looking at (locater vs time vs punch vs pre/post roll values, it all looks the same now, very very unclear).
The new one should autoscale at least (into more rows) if it really is there to stay.
Please bring back the Transport panel like in C 9.5

1 Like

i’d say +/- 1, hehe !

happy that there can be a lower lane dock-able, for some user, but i don’t use it.

I agree this very long floating bar is not the most ergonomic layout ( we don’t have eyes like flies :wink: )

i put all controlls i need in the upper part of the screen, on my main screen with project / arrangement
second screen ( below ) show analyser and plugins windows, media bay, whatever…

in fact THE ONLY TIME I PRESS F2 is to enter tempo when i’m not using tempo track for it.
IF the tempo setting could be back on the top bar ( as it was long ago )
i would never use the transport panel again :wink:

As usual, why do they don’t make the extra effort to make thing clear and simple with no “exeptions” like this.

Be able to put any control set in the upper bar, lower bar or floating bar.
then every one is free to organise as they wish :wink:

+1 / + 100 / +10000 - My sentiments exactly. Would be great if the TP could be drag-resizable to that you can have it super wide as per the newest versions’ layout (which I personally dont like) or more like the old TP). I’m not a programmer but given the advanced functions that Cubase UI offers, I cant see why this isnt a simple fix/enhancement.

+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
This post is from April and 2019 and Steinberg has still done nothing about it???

MAKE IT SO WE CAN RETURN IT TO TWO ROWS!!!

The idea of stuff I use just disappearing is noob design flaws. And how bout that mixing console with the impossible to see solo, mute etc buttons? And the bar to scroll on the mixer and the inspector on the left in project window that you have to search for for ten minutes because it’s invisible. How stylish! Guess what no one cares about? Style! We want workflow! We want our ideas to happen fast - not have a “sexy” GUI that hinders our workflow!
How can this major player DAW be making noob mistakes??? Mind-boggling.

Also I like how sometimes clicking on the body of it and dragging no longer moves it like it used to. You have to click on the thin border.
It’s like with this whole thing Cubase decided to do some austerity thing and say “That’s what you GET for using our product.”
There’s always Ableton. I’ve been told by a few people I should switch. :confused: