How to Stop Cubase From Saving Projects in "Untitled" Folders

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
iGBk

How to Stop Cubase From Saving Projects in "Untitled" Folders

Post by iGBk »

Is there a way to set the default save operation so that it names the folder what the project itself is named? I see a very old thread from 2011 asking about this, but it seems that back then there was a 'save as' window that allowed you to specify the folder name. In CBP 10 'save as' doesn't bring up any such option, it simply brings up the directory window within an 'untitled-[x]' folder..

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Re: How to Stop Cubase From Saving Projects in "Untitled" Folders

Post by svennilenni »

iGBk wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:08 pm
Is there a way to set the default save operation so that it names the folder what the project itself is named? I see a very old thread from 2011 asking about this, but it seems that back then there was a 'save as' window that allowed you to specify the folder name.
No there wasn´t. „save as“ specifies the save location of the project file. The project folder is set (either automatically, or manually) when you create a new project. Have a closer look at the project assistant

iGBk

Post by iGBk »

svennilenni wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 pm
The project folder is set (either automatically, or manually) when you create a new project. Have a closer look at the project assistant
Ok thanks, in that case is there a way to revise the project folder name after it has been set in the project assistant? I rarely know what to name my projects before I've started them, and physically renaming each folder in the file explorer afterwards seems a bit unnecessary.

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

iGBk wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:49 pm
svennilenni wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 pm
The project folder is set (either automatically, or manually) when you create a new project. Have a closer look at the project assistant
Ok thanks, in that case is there a way to revise the project folder name after it has been set in the project assistant? I rarely know what to name my projects before I've started them, and physically renaming each folder in the file explorer afterwards seems a bit unnecessary.
I donˋt think so - unless you consider the „backup project“ option.

iGBk

Post by iGBk »

Alright, thanks for the info.

I vote for an option to name the project folder what the project is called.

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

iGBk wrote:
Is there a way to set the default save operation so that it names the folder what the project itself is named? I see a very old thread from 2011 asking about this, but it seems that back then there was a 'save as' window that allowed you to specify the folder name. In CBP 10 'save as' doesn't bring up any such option, it simply brings up the directory window within an 'untitled-[x]' folder..
When you start Cubase, look at the Hub and then select "Prompt for Project Location." This will prevent a new project from being created in a folder named "Untitled."

I tend to keep my starter or draft projects in a Monthly Folder. For a more involved project, I set up the project folder in a dedicated project Directory (Folder) on the hard drive. Moving projects around with Archive and Backup can be tricky.

Good luck.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

caliman

Post by caliman »

Hello iGBk,

Here is the usual workflow I follow, "Just my two cents" this is the two steps I use when making a project.

1. Name the project folder in the Hub then copy the name Ctrl + C and hit Enter twice to make a new empty project.
cubase-project-name.JPG
(24.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2. Then I immediately hit Ctrl + S and Paste the name I gave the folder in the file name box and save the project.
Save-Project-After-Creation.JPG
(43.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I'm wishing that Steinberg will make Cubase do setup two automatically since many times people will just start digging in making a song and in the event of a program crash or some user error lose ALL their work.

Have a great day!
Cubase 10 Pro
Cubase 10 Elements
Dell Optiplex 990
Core i5-2400 3.10GHz
12GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro x64
480GB SSD

Steinberg UR22MKII
Behringer XR18 Digital Mixer
Presonus Studiolive 32.4.2ai

iGBk

Post by iGBk »

Stephen57 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:58 am
When you start Cubase, look at the Hub and then select "Prompt for Project Location." This will prevent a new project from being created in a folder named "Untitled."

I tend to keep my starter or draft projects in a Monthly Folder. For a more involved project, I set up the project folder in a dedicated project Directory (Folder) on the hard drive. Moving projects around with Archive and Backup can be tricky.
Thanks, my only issue with that is that the 'audio' etc of multiple projects will be put into the same 'audio' subfolder. Which means that when a draft turns into a more involved project, it will be near impossible to extricate the specific files for that project from the working directory.

iGBk

Post by iGBk »

caliman wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:22 am
Hello iGBk,

Here is the usual workflow I follow, "Just my two cents" this is the two steps I use when making a project.

1. Name the project folder in the Hub then copy the name Ctrl + C and hit Enter twice to make a new empty project.
cubase-project-name.JPG

2. Then I immediately hit Ctrl + S and Paste the name I gave the folder in the file name box and save the project.
Save-Project-After-Creation.JPG
Okay thanks yeah, I'll give that a go, it's probably my best bet given the functionality in this case.

Thanks, have a great day yourself, It's nighttime here ;)

caliman

Post by caliman »

iGBk wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:28 am
Stephen57 wrote:

Thanks, my only issue with that is that the 'audio' etc of multiple projects will be put into the same 'audio' subfolder. Which means that when a draft turns into a more involved project, it will be near impossible to extricate the specific files for that project from the working directory.
If I'm hearing you correctly and it seems that you experimented with this procedure. Backup that should work, go to File > Backup Project then make a new folder and save the project into it. Cubase will copy all the files used in the project there. The files made with File > Save New Version will not be there, but you will be able to copy those into the new folder manually. When the backed up project is opened, Cubase will ask what path to the project you want to use, then click New Path and all should be working. I've been trying this out, backing up to the cloud and using the projects between computers, the only thing I don't do is try to run the project from the Cloud folder because of file locking that the cloud server does when syncing files, I always put the project in the Cubase Projects folder and run it from there and then repeat the backup progress if I'm going to use the project somewhere else.

Where you able to uncover a problem with the backup procedure? I don't think it's profitable for me to just say "Works great here" because sometimes it may not.

It's night here now too :)
backup-cubase-project-file-backup-project.jpg
(32.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cubase 10 Pro
Cubase 10 Elements
Dell Optiplex 990
Core i5-2400 3.10GHz
12GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro x64
480GB SSD

Steinberg UR22MKII
Behringer XR18 Digital Mixer
Presonus Studiolive 32.4.2ai

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

the Back-up Project procedure is ideal for changing temporary ideas into full Projects. It's how I work and have been for years using this feature.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

@caliman

Thanks for posting about that procedure. I was quoted, but, OP, don't miss that advice.

@planarchist

Thanks for confirming that that is a good workflow.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

iGBk

Post by iGBk »

caliman wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:54 am
Were you able to uncover a problem with the backup procedure? I don't think it's profitable for me to just say "Works great here" because sometimes it may not.

It's night here now too :)

backup-cubase-project-file-backup-project.jpg
Thank you, gave it a whirl and that does do the trick! Cloud workflow also sounds interesting, will try that sometime.

Diavi

Post by Diavi »

Very helpful - such a simple thing and yet I kept overlooking it! Thanks, M8!
Stephen57 wrote:
iGBk wrote:

Good luck.

Ambientdave

Post by Ambientdave »

planarchist wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:09 am
the Back-up Project procedure is ideal for changing temporary ideas into full Projects. It's how I work and have been for years using this feature.
Great Idea,something I should start doing.Make up an ideas folder of sorts,then turn them into full projects :)
Windows 10 Pro, with Intel i5 340GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD,500GB HDD
External drives : 1TB HDD (storage) 1TB SSD (for the libraries)
Monitors: two 21.5 inch Acer widescreens
Audio interface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen,monitoring through Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones.
Microphone: Rodes NT1A
Midi controllers: Akai MPK249 AND M Audio Oxygen 25,
Software: Cubase Pro 10 (latest version),various sound libraries and plugins

roel

Post by roel »

FWIW,

i would like to go a bit further on this topic since this is a core question for many years and it is something that can be optimized.

1. the reason of the question of OP is that he has no name defined in the project location on the hub (or at start) when creating a new project. The most obvious reason for this is that he has no name for it yet. Cubase does need a location for temporary storage so it creates by default and writes on hard drive a permanent location for the files. Should this be really necessary. I do not think so. You can go with a non-permanent location by default without any issue. The reason for that is fwiw in my opninion a mishap in the workflow, as i will explain in 2.

2. Once OP has made some project he saves it, and it will be written to the default location, named untitled xxx. Maybe he even wants to save it to a specific location, but he doesn't get all his importent extra data saved on that same location with it... ! No, he needs to backup it if he wants to recreate a new location. (that can be a real hd space killer on specific conditions e.g. wavs)

3. I agree with the other members that once you finish a project you should backup things and restructure the entire set of data on a specific location.

4. But i disagree that the current workflow is optimal with the oldscool type of saving (permanently locating) things before it gets named. It should be very easy to permanently relocate the entire data set once it is getting saved and named by the user.
Just save the entire bunch to the user specified location.

This is much more conventient and much more logic for any user.

but again, FWIW

kind regards,
R.
Cubase 10.5, vienna ensemble pro 5,
Master:laptop Clevo, P771zm, i7 4790S, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, 2x Samsung SSD850 +touch screen
Slave: none, will probably never be replaced because latest processors are powerfull enough
Sound: Motu Ultralite MKIII (usb), Focusrite 18i20, behringer 16 ch mixer
control: Synergy, novation zero SL
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, Spectrasonics and a lot of others
hardware: S760, CD3000xl, SY77, studiologic 990, alesis Q88,

BatteryPack

Post by BatteryPack »

All of this extra stuff is just so unnecessary when damn near EVERY other DAW has an “auto save” feature that either a) automatically names projects and b) doesn’t create all these unnecessary folders within folders for every little thing. Cubase has A LOT of catching up to do when it comes to making things much simpler and easier.
  • Cubase 9.5.2 Pro
    Absolute 3 VST Collection
    Panorama P4
    ATH-M50x
    Live 9.7.6
    Push 2
    Windows 10
    i7 6700HQ
    32GB DDR4 Ram
    256GB SSD
    500GB SSD SAMPLE DRIVE
    GTX 970m 3GB