Prepare Archive / Backup Project Broken with Sampler Tracks

Hi Folks,.

I’ve been having real problems with Prepare Archive in the Pool.

As I use samples across many drives I like to use prepare archive to copy all files into the working directory. At first this appears to work. However, upon re-opening the new project, the files are loaded from the original file location (not from the project folder). This makes archiving projects very troublesome, since files on other drives may get move, etc.

Anyone else experiencing this? This has been an issue for me since the past 2 updates.

THanks

Steve

Slight update on this. It’s only Sampler Tracks which do not copy files to the working directory when using ‘Prepare Archive’ for backup purposes. Well, as I’ve already said, files ARE copied to the working directory, but when the project is re-opened the files are loaded from their original drive/folder. The files which are copied to the working directory are renamed incrementally (for example, snare.wav becomes snare 01.wav, etc). So, if original file locations are moved/deleted, the project has missing files, since file names no longer match.

I’ve also noticed that ‘remove unused file’ also does not work. They are still present when the project is reopened.

And another update. I now realise what the problem is. Prepare Archive is working, however the file path used by the sampler track is NOT updated after files are copied to the local project folder. So, when you reload the project, the sampler track loads the file from the original file location. To all intents and purposes, this is a bug and makes ‘prepare archive’ and Backup Project unreliable.

This has been reported before: Backup Project breaks Sampler tracks - #6 by flexionmusic - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

I’ve since discovered it’s been acknowledged by Steinberg as a bug. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Me too!

My rant and acknowledgement from support.

Thing with sampler tracks. The potential is really there and they are extremely useful. BUT! When this is fixed i sure hope they use common sense and give a proper user choice for the samples location. (even when backing up project).
Also a choice of keeping samplersettings(filter,adsr,velocityetc) when changing a sample!!! Oh, and slices mapped to keys.

I have said it before, samplertracks…they aimed high but as it stands have missed

p.s. Steve, perhaps update the topic as referring to SamplerTracks.

I completely agree. We need the option to store samples in a sample library folder, and a proper, working archive function. Also, whenever Cubase crashes, it’s ALWAYS when working on a sampler track. Im using Sampler racks more and more, but they’re still very buggy. I guess part of the bigger issue is that Steinberg wants us to buy Halion. That is not going to happen!

Yeah, absolutely no way Halion for me either!
Kontakt/Omnisphere and Elektron have sample tools fully covered for me.

Sampler tracks provide something very quick and different to full sampler units…there should be absolutely no way that Steinberg should be considering it a carrot to buy products! In my veiw that would be a pretty poor mindset.

I don’t see SamplerTracks as a crippled sample playback engine (and Steinberg should certainly not). It’s an extremely quick and useful tool especially for those of us who design finished audio for use between projects.

I have put requests in to Steinberg regarding the Samplertrack.