Sound is heard when editing MIDI, but not when I press Play

Post general topics related to Nuendo 8 here.
SimonViklund

Sound is heard when editing MIDI, but not when I press Play

Post by SimonViklund »

I don't know what happened but a certain Instrument track has just gone silent. The track is not muted, and the virtual instrument is still loaded onto the track.

When I edit the instrument track's MIDI data (change velocity of a MIDI note or grab/move a MIDI note around the piano roll) I can hear the instrument being triggered accordingly. But when I press Play to play back the music, the track is completely silent despite there being MIDI data that's supposed to trigger instrument sounds.

What could cause a track to behave like that?

HughH

Re: Sound is heard when editing MIDI, but not when I press Play

Post by HughH »

I've had this happen long ago in Cubase.
VERY odd.
If I remember correctly I could usually fix it by creating a new Instrument Track and copying the data across.

A few other people had the issue, also.
The was never any acknowledgement of the issue or fix but it hasn't happened in ages for me.

Hugh
Nuendo 10, Pro Tools Ultimate 2019
i7 5820 Asus x99 Deluxe 64 Gig Win 10 Home, Dual Monitors RME Digiface PCIe
Dell XPS 15 7590 Laptop i9 (10th Gen) 32 Gig Win 10 MOTU 8Pre-ES
i7 920 Asus P6T 12G Win 7 Slave Machine
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn)
X-Touch Compact for various stuff
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
UR22

HughH

Post by HughH »

Found an old post on this, though others they reference appear to be gone.

<viewtopic.php?f=146&t=68274#p397754>

Hugh
Nuendo 10, Pro Tools Ultimate 2019
i7 5820 Asus x99 Deluxe 64 Gig Win 10 Home, Dual Monitors RME Digiface PCIe
Dell XPS 15 7590 Laptop i9 (10th Gen) 32 Gig Win 10 MOTU 8Pre-ES
i7 920 Asus P6T 12G Win 7 Slave Machine
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn)
X-Touch Compact for various stuff
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
UR22

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

Yup, this has happened to me once in a while in both Cubase (since I started with version 8) and also Nuendo 8.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

heisenberg9

Post by heisenberg9 »

I have had it happen a few times as well in Nuendo 8.0.15. If I deselect the track and then go back to it, the problem goes away.
Andrew
--
Nuendo 10.1.0
--
Hardware related to issue tracking:
ASUS P9x79, i7-3930K CPU OC to 4.05 khz, 64 GB, combination of SSDs & HDs, Blackmagic Decklink Card with HD-SDI Monitor used in Nuendo, Firewire Card, MOTU Traveler mkIII, GTX 580 2 GB of VRAM with 2 Monitors, NVIDIA Driver 390.41 WHQL running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with eLicenser & iLok dongles.

For Issue tracking, the MIDI controllers used:
Mackie MCU+C4, X-Touch Compact, X-Station, nanoKEY2 for key switching & Steinberg TP, CH & AI

For issue tracking, brands or software instruments & effects commonly used:
VEPro 7, Vienna Instruments 2, MIR Pro & Suite; script heavy Kontakt Libraries such as Spitfire, Heavyocity, NI, Soniccouture, Sound Dust, also UVI Falcon & rewired Ableton Live 10, Max 7, Melodyne and Reason 8. EFX often used are by Lexicon PCM Reverbs & Effects, FabFilter, IRCAM Spat, SoundToys, Brainworks, (iZotope RX punted to the sideline), Eventide, Waves plugins, etc.

SimonViklund

Post by SimonViklund »

The problem goes away for me only if I copy the MIDI notes from inside the MIDI clip (it doesn't work if I copy the MIDI clip itself) and paste it into a new MIDI clip. So it's clear that the problem is in the MIDI clip and not in the MIDI clip's data (the MIDI notes contained witin it), the track or the VST instrument.

This happened to me on literally the 1st instrument track of the 1st project I created since I purchased and installed Nuendo 8. Not a great 1st impression of a piece of software that costs $2.000.

MikeD198309

Post by MikeD198309 »

I’m having the same problem, only backwards lol. When I select a note in the drum editor (kick, snare, etc) I get no sound. When I play it back however, perfect sound. Any ideas??

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

This has been an occasional issue for me since switching to Cubase 8 a few years ago. Definitely a bug, and the only workaround is to duplicate the original instrument track and MIDI. I reported it a while back and it's been mentioned before. It's not fixed in Cubase 9.5, FYI, either.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Quietly

Post by Quietly »

Not fixed in Cubase Pro 10 either just happened to me. Grrrrrrrrrrr :x
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Studio One 4.6. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz 4GB RAM. ASUS Radeon R7-259 Graphics Card , Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Komplete Kontrol S61 and HS80M Monitors. Komplete 10 Ultimate, Symphobia, Ozone 8 etc

Jrgoodnight

Post by Jrgoodnight »

OK, hopefully this helps you guys, this just happened to me.

Highlight the track or data that is highlighted and go to the menu - Edit, Unmute. You can also press Shift-U.

Crazy but Edit, Mute (Shift-M) mutes the track but doesnt make the M toggle button yellow, it just mutes the midi notes I think.

I "muted" the notes by rendering in place with the render setting - Mute Source Track selected. Right after it stopped playing so I knew it was related.

mixter

Post by mixter »

Ok I found out what it was on mine, the track was muted but the yellow M wasn't showing on the track however the M on the top under Transport menu was yellow so I clicked it and now everything works fine, the reason I didn't think of trying that is because other instances of the same synth were muted, maybe they were somehow midi connected when I copied the same instance to other tracks.
System: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, i5 cpu, 16gb memory
Daws: Cubase 10 Pro (only)
Hardware: UR44, Roland XP-30, Alesis 3630, Behringer Composer Pro XL, Yamaha GC 2020, Audio Technica M50x.
Software: Native Instruments Komplete 12 (main)

NerdyButNice

Post by NerdyButNice »

using the score editor in CB10, sometimes when I cut & paste some notes even though the notes are displayed, they will not sound.

Lee Batchelor

Post by Lee Batchelor »

I just came across this most annoying PITA issue as well. I'm running Cubase 10.5 Pro. The VST bass track is a UJAM plugin - very robust! My solution was to select the affected track and mute and unmute it. Now the bass track plays. There's something incredibly awkward and stupid about that design. Steinberg needs to look at this. By copying the track to a newly loaded VST track it probably unmutes the MIDI by default. I had this happen to HALion 6 tracks too! A royal PITA!!!
Windows 10 Home / Acer 3.6 GHz / Quad 64 bit / 1 TB SSD, 48 GB RAM
Yamaha Genos / HS8 monitors / Cubase 10.5.2 Pro / UR44 interface

Return to “General”