VST AMP RACK QUESTION

Hello, I was wondering if somebody could tell me how I can use the VST amp rack or any other amp simulator as I’m recording. I’d like to be able to hear the amp and effects as I record rather than only hear it after I record something. Go easy on me, I’m new at this! :smiley:

Turn on the Cycle button, set the locators to the material you want to hear it on and press play. You can change presets while the audio is playing.

If you set up an input for your guitar you should be able to hear what you are actually playing. If you are using a lowish latency such as 128 the delay will be quite acceptable.

F4 to set up an input. Allocate that input in the audio track. (The track inspector on the left) Put the amp rack in the insert slots of that track. Select the sound you want.

Perhaps set up a send reverb, Got to Project at the top - add track - choose add effects - select a reverb. Then go back to the audio track and add the reverb in the send column on the right.

Then you should be ready to rock!

That’s what I did and I can’t hear the amp until I playback what I recorded. I am just plugging my guitar into my UR22 interface, am I skipping something?

Monitor button on? Or record arm on?

My guess is that the monitor button is off?

Hi there

I think, the UR22 has direct monitoring. In order to use an effect on the inserts you have to turn it off, I use a UR824 and had the same problem which stumped me for a while.

Best Regards

Dave

Hi

On your interface set mix knob fully to Daw and also uncheck the box Direct monitoring in Cubase.

DIrect monitoring is definitely the culprit in this case. However, there might be another solution. Instead of using a plugin on the channel insert, why not make use of the DSP Amp simulations built into the UR22?

DIrect monitoring is definitely the culprit in this case. However, there might be another solution. Instead of using a plugin on the channel insert, why not make use of the DSP Amp simulations built into the UR22?

That’s a good point but as far as I know UR22 doesn’t have any DSP effects built in

Aha, you’re right, I just checked. I was never a fan of the UR22 so never looked at it too closely. I simply assumed it had the same DSP capabilities as the rest of the UR family. Sorry if I caused any confusion. :blush: